SiouxSports.com Forum

George Gwozdecky

Godsmack

So as many of you know, I live in Denver and I'm watching the Rockies baseball game right now against the Cardinals. The crew invite Gwoz to come up and talk about DU hockey. Gwoz goes out of his way to discuss how bad some of the rival fans can be, and he singles out North Dakota by name and then gives a personal shout out to Alana Rizzo for all of the harassment she went through up in Grand Forks last year. You might remember her as the person doing some color commentary at the Ralph when DU played the Sioux last January/February. After that series, she went back to Denver and ranted in her blog about how Sioux fans were the meanest, nastiest people in all of college hockey and how she never witnessed such awful behavior in all her years in Madison Wisconsin covering Badger Hockey. Anyway, I found it interesting how Gwozdecky went out of his way to mention North Dakota. This guy just seems to have a hard on for UND.

p.s., I'd love to chat with Rizzo and tell her about how I was at the Sioux/Badger series this past March when the Sioux clinched the WCHA title and I was sitting in the student section with a buddy and about a thousand Badger fans would periodically spot a Sioux fan, stand up, point at him/her and chant, "asshole, asshole!" Is that the type of good behavior Rizzo's referring to??? Hypocrite.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So as many of you know, I live in Denver and I'm watching the Rockies baseball game right now against the Cardinals. The crew invite Gwoz to come up and talk about DU hockey. Gwoz goes out of his way to discuss how bad some of the rival fans can be, and he singles out North Dakota by name and then gives a personal shout out to Alana Rizzo for all of the harassment she went through up in Grand Forks last year. You might remember her as the person doing some color commentary at the Ralph when DU played the Sioux last January/February. After that series, she went back to Denver and ranted in her blog about how Sioux fans were the meanest, nastiest people in all of college hockey and how she never witnessed such awful behavior in all her years in Madison Wisconsin covering Badger Hockey. Anyway, I found it interesting how Gwozdecky went out of his way to mention North Dakota. This guy just seems to have a hard on for UND.

p.s., I'd love to chat with Rizzo and tell her about how I was at the Sioux/Badger series this past March when the Sioux clinched the WCHA title and I was sitting in the student section with a buddy and about a thousand Badger fans would periodically spot a Sioux fan, stand up, point at him/her and chant, "asshole, asshole!" Is that the type of good behavior Rizzo's referring to??? Hypocrite.

Gwoz is a cheat and dasher dancer....

Now you got me started....

DU Fans. They're about the quietest, most boring fans in all of college hockey. They spend their time sitting on their hands. Unknowledgable also. Just horrible fans. They bore me. You could take a nap in that arena. The only thing that would wake you up is a few hard checks you might hear from their defensemen.

CC fans...that's another story. They rock! I always have a great time in The Springs! But, I hate the Denver crowd. Boring, boring, boring bunch. No wonder that announcer got her panties in a wad. She's used to quiet, boring DU hockey. Well sweetheart, welcome to the real world. If you can't stand the hear, get outta our kitchen!

Gwoz's actions this past year make me wish beyond all wishes that we sweep them in Denver. What a boor. What a maroon.

DU Fans. They're about the quietest, most boring fans in all of college hockey. They spend their time sitting on their hands. Unknowledgable also. Just horrible fans. They bore me. You could take a nap in that arena. The only thing that would wake you up is a few hard checks you might hear from their defensemen.

CC fans...that's another story. They rock! I always have a great time in The Springs! But, I hate the Denver crowd. Boring, boring, boring bunch. No wonder that announcer got her panties in a wad. She's used to quiet, boring DU hockey. Well sweetheart, welcome to the real world. If you can't stand the hear, get outta our kitchen!

Gwoz's actions this past year make me wish beyond all wishes that we sweep them in Denver. What a boor. What a maroon.

The city of Denver doesn't give a !@#$ about DU Hockey unless they're good (and even that's questionable at times). When we've been there in the past half the arena is Sioux fans.

Alana does the color commentary down on the field for Rockies baseball so George gave a personal shout out to her after saying that no professional should have to endure what she endured up in North Dakota. He then likened Sioux fans to Philadelphia fans and said that we're hard not only on visiting teams but on officials as well. I found that rich considering he was the guy who walked out onto the ice in protest of what he felt was a non-call.

Anyway, I hate DU and seeing that windbag on t.v. while I was trying to enjoy my Rockies just set me off! Thanks for letting me vent!

The city of Denver doesn't give a !@#$ about DU Hockey unless they're good (and even that's questionable at times). When we've been there in the past half the arena is Sioux fans.

At the Frozen Four there a couple of years ago, the people at the Coors Factory were all shocked that so many people were in Denver for the games...."We didn't realize that there would be so many of you!"---um, what did you think was going to happen...no one would come?

As for the announcer/reporter/wimpy girl, GROW UP AND WATCH any college sport...it is called Home Ice/FIELD/COURT/POOL/WHATEVER Advantage and teams use it.

George is a classless assclown...these comments don't surprise me at all...see you at the Ralph this year DU. If they thought last year was bad, I can't imagine how bad it will be for them this year. I CAN'T WAIT! Thanks DU for making your series up here almost as anticipated as the gophers.

George is a classless assclown...these comments don't surprise me at all...see you at the Ralph this year DU. If they thought last year was bad, I can't imagine how bad it will be for them this year. I CAN'T WAIT! Thanks DU for making your series up here almost as anticipated as the gophers.

How can anybody with his history of behavior talk about anybody else's lack of class. Geez!!!!

Is it wrong that I hate DU more than the gophers?

NOT AT ALL! We all love to hate the Gophers because they do have good fans. They may not have class and they may be a bunch of @$$clowns but they make the rivalry fun. George is an idiot and we all know that, its just a different type of rivalry. Can't wait to see the Sioux drop em this year. They might need to put some security on the DU bench to keep Gwoz off the ice this year. Go Sioux!!

In fairness, the Badger fans have fun with that cheer, and I don't see it as mean-spirited. They've never picked me with it, but I wouldn't mind if they did--probably stand up and laugh it off. They have a lot of fun as a group with those cheers, along with the band. I wish the Sioux had a little more of that.

But as to Rizzo, you're right that she would chew on that cheer too if it were coming from Sioux fans. Too bad she can't go back in time to the old Ralph. She'd probably have to spend the game outside in the production van listening to Hennessey and Home of Economy ads.

Agreed. Denver fans were half as loud as the Sioux fans in there own arena!!! When they score a goal, they play music louder than the crowd and a handfull might stand. Cant wait for the Denver Series. Lets go Sioux!!!

I agree.I really didn't mind the Pioneers until pokobitch damn near paralyzed Bina and now because of the antics of the Gwoz.Now with this reporter spewing her mouth my hate for all things DU is growing by the minute.Not quite to the rodent level yet but getting there.

It's hard to feel anything but dislike and loathing when the face of their program accuses another fanbase and team of being classless.

However, I'm not all that sure that likening us to Phillie fans is all that bad. Phillie fans have been known to throw their own players under the bus. So do we. We do boo officials. So do they.

We are getting under Gwoz's skin because he can't stop talking about us, nor can he stop doing antics when playing us.

We are not angels, and we do have bad eggs. However, I wouldn't expect a coach (any coach) to come on the program and start bad talking their own fanbase. I would expect Gwoz to have nothing but positive things to say about DU's fans and the people of Colorado. I'd expect the same from Hakstol and UND fans and the people of ND.

I will say this though: I doubt Lucia would take potshots at opposing fanbases. He has said some stupid things regarding opposing teams in the past, sure, but he has confined it primarily to the teams ON THE ICE.

I dislike Minnesota sports in general (heh, especially pro sports), but I will say more in defense of Minnesota Gopher hockey than I ever will of UW hockey (they aren't classless, just boring as hell to watch) or DU hockey (Gwoz is the face of your program... can't act with class, then can't look classily at the program).

How pathetic that the Dasher Troll is already making excuses as to why his loaded team will lose to North Dakota this season. He has been around long enough that he should have been able to figure out that you have to recruit a few role players to your lineup if you want to succeed in today's game so he will have no one to blame but himself. I doubt the little flake has or ever will be offered a Pro contract of any kind.

I would ask that if you decide to email Gwozdecky, that you keep it clean and professional. We're more likely able to earn his respect if we keep our comments above board. I don't want him confirming Ms. Rizzo's mis-characterization of Sioux fans. Are there some bad apples among Sioux fans? Sure. But there are these types among DU fans as well. That doesn't mean we use a broad brush to characterize ALL DU fans as bad, nasty people.

I would ask that if you decide to email Gwozdecky, that you keep it clean and professional. We're more likely able to earn his respect if we keep our comments above board. I don't want him confirming Ms. Rizzo's mis-characterization of Sioux fans. Are there some bad apples among Sioux fans? Sure. But there are these types among DU fans as well. That doesn't mean we use a broad brush to characterize ALL DU fans as bad, nasty people.

I vehemently disagree that DU has any bad apples. DU doesn't have any apples and their apple tree has dutch elm disease.