SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Season

siouxfan68

Fair enough. I respect that.

But why go get a JUCO running back AND pull the redshirt on Binns? Seems like a waste of talent if you ask me. You can't give all 6 RB's carries. If you are gonna go spend a scholarship on a JUCO RB in July, he better be playing for you right away. Otherwise it's kind of a waste of a scholarship for a year or two. I'd rather redshirt Binns now, even if he could contribute some right away. I guess I will be the optimist and say that Chappell and Murray will be the exceptions in terms of grades. We will be loving it down the road when Binns is a 5th year senior and we are playoff eligible. :glare:

That's assuming, of course, he stays academically eligible. :ohmy:

By the way, this isn't just a RB specific problem. We have been very unlucky as fans that the last two times it has been our star RB's. It could happen at QB, OL, or DB too. Under your assumption, we shouldn't redshirt anyone because all of them potentially could have academic problems.

I guess I look at certain positions as being more likely for a first-year player to contribute--running back, receiver and corner. If there's a need, i.e. few proven returnees, and if a kid is likely better than those returnees, it may make sense to play him right away. For most other positions, such as quarterback, offensive line, and linebacker, it would be highly unlikely that a kid could play right away. In those situations, unless the kid is really exceptional or the cupboard is almost completely bare, then you red-shirt everybody. I think this is the philosophy that the coaching staff has taken the past few years, as the kids who didn't red-shirt have all been either rb's, wr's or db's. This year, it wouldn't surprise me if Binns and possibly the receiver from Nebraska don't red-shirt because IMO there is need at those positions, and these kids look like they may be able to contribute immediately.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see Binns redshirt regardless of talent or need. I realize we all want wins now for recruiting purposes, but we are in the transition and should build for the future when we are playoff eligible. All freshman have a physical and mental learning curve in their first year for football and college life in general. By the time they figure it out on and off the field, the season and first year of college are over. Seems like a waste of a year to me. I don't like taking redshirts off kids unless injury and/or depth concerns prompt the coaching staff to do so.

I would like to see Binns redshirt regardless of talent or need. I realize we all want wins now for recruiting purposes, but we are in the transition and should build for the future when we are playoff eligible. All freshman have a physical and mental learning curve in their first year for football and college life in general. By the time they figure it out on and off the field, the season and first year of college are over. Seems like a waste of a year to me. I don't like taking redshirts off kids unless injury and/or depth concerns prompt the coaching staff to do so.

I don't disagree, at least most of the time, but according to Wayne Nelson's article from Saturday's Herald:

Binns could be in the mix for playing time as a true freshman.

I'm sure it's not a decision being taken lightly, but it's apparently being seriously considered.

I saw the new ND logo today. I am glad we are moving away from the Notre Dame style. The old logo was classic but with all the change to DI, Name Change, etc I think it is needed. The new uni's look great.

FYI.......It is the logo that GeauSioux uses.

I honestly hope you guys do well this year, and props for getting some press here and there. But, "

Located in Grand Forks, North Dakota has been a national power in Division II for years. The Fighting Sioux play home games in a domed stadium that seats 12,283.

That's all you seat? Pretty pathetic, I thought ours was bad. Plus you don't sell near that much, what, 6k for that last playoff game? Average 10K? That press quoting that is a negative more than a positive, IMO. What are the plans for going back outside anyways???

I honestly hope you guys do well this year, and props for getting some press here and there. But, "

Located in Grand Forks, North Dakota has been a national power in Division II for years. The Fighting Sioux play home games in a domed stadium that seats 12,283.

That's all you seat? Pretty pathetic, I thought ours was bad. Plus you don't sell near that much, what, 6k for that last playoff game? Average 10K? That press quoting that is a negative more than a positive, IMO. What are the plans for going back outside anyways???

The 12,283 is regular seats. It does not include suites. Actual seating available for football is probably more in the 13,500-14,000 range. That ranks a little bit below the median level of FCS stadiums. I haven't done the math but a quick count looks like a little over 50% have stadiums over 14,000.

I don't know why that's pathetic for FCS. UND averaged over 10,000 last year during the first year of transition and with a very weak (as expected) home schedule. Yet they ranked about 30th in FCS attendance which means that close to 70 teams had worse attendance in FCS. Maybe not fantastic but certainly not pathetic. Once they get a good schedule they have a chance to move into the top 20. As far as the 6,000 for the playoff game, I wouldn't put much stock in that. If you look at Division II playoffs you will see that attendance at all first round playoff games is weak. I believe that UND's numbers were the 3rd or 4th highest during that round. And that was in spite of other things happening and the game expected to be a blowout. It wasn't as if UND hadn't hosted a playoff game for 15 or 20 years, they were hosting them almost every year. So not everyone got real excited to see another first round snooze fest.

No immediate plans to move back outside. They just negotiated a new contract with the Alerus Center. I believe it is for 10 years. So I would expect them to remain indoors at least that long.

Eventhough I love footbll outdoors.....in North Dakota it is the kiss of death for late season attendance. No way would have the Bison reached he attendance figures these last two years playing outside. The climate is just too harsh to attract those casul fans. I hate to say it, but both schools will need to play inside to get decent crowds all season long.

What was NDSU's attendance for thier last playoff game in the dome?

What do you expect? We hosted playoff almost yearly since 2001 when the Alerus opened and kicked the !@#$ out of Winona St. for a couple years before that. Most fans aren't going to make the drive to see it again when the game is on statewide TV. 6000 wasn't great but that was 6000 more fans than the Fargodome has seen for a playoff game, if you don't count the North Dakota high school playoffs I guess.

I saw the new ND logo today.

<-----

Re-e-e-eally? ???

Ask risk of repeating myself, I like it better with black (not grey like Geaux's version) shading. And I do like it the outline of the state.

I saw the new ND logo today. I am glad we are moving away from the Notre Dame style. The old logo was classic but with all the change to DI, Name Change, etc I think it is needed. The new uni's look great.

Can you describe the uni's more? Is it just the new "ND" logo on the helmet, no state outline, right?

I LOVE they went away from the exact Notre Dame lookalike logo...a change I had been advocating for years. However, the new look is still pretty similar...without the state outline

The Roster is up.

Jarrel Davis is wearing #27.

I guess since there aren't that many numbers, they have to use Murray's number just like they did with Chappell last year, but hopefully unlike Chappell, Josh comes back next year. If so, who gets to keep the number?

I was unaware that the playoff game against Winona was on state wide TV. I honestly would opt out of a playoff game in the FFD against a NAIA team that is not televised and no one shows. Congrats on the win. Why is it that we just can't get along, I honestly post over here out of mutual respect.

I was unaware that the playoff game against Winona was on state wide TV. I honestly would opt out of a playoff game in the FFD against a NAIA team that is not televised and no one shows. Congrats on the win. Why is it that we just can't get along, I honestly post over here out of mutual respect.

And yet you use words like pathetic. And insult attendance at UND football games and the size of the venue. And call Winona State an NAIA team. You do realize that Winona won the NC$$ Division II men's basketball championship in 2006. They were in the NC$$ Division II football playoffs for several years in a row, and a team from their conference won the national championship in DII football this past year. They have a pretty good track record in athletics. But I know that you have been very busy following the "real NC$$ sports" in Division I.

When you are in the playoffs you play whomever you draw. You beat them and then move on to the next opponent. If you opt out of a game then you don't get a chance to actually win a title. I realize that you may have forgotten that because it has been so long since NDSU actually participated in the playoffs for football. But you will get there again.

We probably would get along a little better if you actually showed a little respect rather than take shots at UND. Funny, most people on a board called SiouxSports might actually take exception to your shots. Lip service about respect isn't going to cut it.

I have no problem with you and am glad you post over here. For the most part a lot of bison fans bring good conversation to the board and add to discussion but I know your post was only to take shots at UND and its program. If you where paying any sort of compliment I guess I missed it.

I have no problem with you and am glad you post over here. For the most part a lot of bison fans bring good conversation to the board and add to discussion but I know your post was only to take shots at UND and its program. If you where paying any sort of compliment I guess I missed it.

He was a little odd last night. He posted a half dozen times on Bisonville and was angry in all of them. I figure he had a bad day at work or a few drinks before posting.

This is typical Bison fan BS. They want to come here and throw crap everywhere and then they cry like little babies when some of it get's thrown back at them. It's why their fans were the most hated in Division II and are well on their way to being the most hated in FCS football.

Yes, I had a bad day, but I actually didn't mean any disrespect though, it just came across wrong. And no, not the typical bison fan, I actually cheer for UND when they aren't playing the Bison. I guess I was trying to say that you guys should be bigger, yes 12,000 is pathetic, your program is so beyond that, and playing for 6k for a playoff game is pathetic, meaning you should be better than that. My opinion lately is that both of our football programs suck lately. I've had long conversations with a very good friend of mine that is a UND alum. And we both agree that ND should have had 1 large university, playing in the Big 10. I don't know where either of us will be in the next few years, who knows. Him and I both agree though, is that we should be playing each other, even if we don't mean anything nationally. It's good for the state. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Yes, I had a bad day, but I actually didn't mean any disrespect though, it just came across wrong. And no, not the typical bison fan, I actually cheer for UND when they aren't playing the Bison. I guess I was trying to say that you guys should be bigger, yes 12,000 is pathetic, your program is so beyond that, and playing for 6k for a playoff game is pathetic, meaning you should be better than that. My opinion lately is that both of our football programs suck lately. I've had long conversations with a very good friend of mine that is a UND alum. And we both agree that ND should have had 1 large university, playing in the Big 10. I don't know where either of us will be in the next few years, who knows. Him and I both agree though, is that we should be playing each other, even if we don't mean anything nationally. It's good for the state. Sorry if I offended anyone.

No offense taken on my part. I think that pathetic is a little strong, but you have a right to an opinion. If by lately you mean last season, I can agree that both football teams did not play up to standard (again, suck may be a little stronger than I would state).

Having 1 large university is an interesting idea. It's probably about 120 years too late to make it happen. But it would have fit well in the Big 10. I will agree with you that the schools should be playing each other in football again soon. UND-NDSU football used to be the biggest event in the state because most of the state was interested. A majority of the people in the state were rooting for 1 school or the other. Even casual sports fans paid attention to that game. I don't see anything that has taken it's place.

Just taking a look at the schedule, I'm excited to see a couple of 4pm start times for home games. That should improve attendance figures, however, if the Al isn't SOLD OUT for meetings with South Dakota and Cal Poly, then there are huge problems! Only 47 more days left and I can't wait!!

It's time to break face, these games for the next 5 years really mean nothing to the casual fan. We are in a five team conference that even if we won we wouldn't hang a banner for. It's hard to invest into a lame duck team. Once we get back into the playoff picture football will gain steam again. Until then hockey will continue to widen the gap.

Just taking a look at the schedule, I'm excited to see a couple of 4pm start times for home games. That should improve attendance figures, however, if the Al isn't SOLD OUT for meetings with South Dakota and Cal Poly, then there are huge problems! Only 47 more days left and I can't wait!!

I'd be surprised if Cal Poly sells out. Historically, late season games don't seem to draw too well and coupled with it being on Halloween I'd be impressed if that game draws 10,000 which is unfortunate because it will probably be one of the best teams will have come into the Alerus in the past 4-5 years.

I think the South Dakota game will sell out given that it is the Coyotes, homecoming, and the home opener a whole month after the season officially begins. I would also think there is a good chance that Stony Brook will come close to selling out being that it is the Potato Bowl.

I disagree that the casual fan won't care. The home schedule was worse last season and we still set a single season attendance record.