SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 Season

siouxfan68

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not claiming that this season is going to necessarily be a disaster, but if Murray indeed can't play (and I don't have any reason to doubt the accuracy of this info), that would mean that we'll be heading into the season quite unproven at quarterback, running back AND receiver. So how does this affect your expectations for this season? Freund, Murray and Trenbeath are all big shoes to fill (not to mention Troen and Braegelmann). Realistically, the offense is probably going to be down this year, barring a number of pleasant surprises from young players. Hopefully the defense will step up, because winning high-scoring games may not be in the cards this year. I hope the offense exceeds expecations, but to expect as much production as the past three or four years probably isn't fair under the circumstances.

Youtube of Jarrel Davis. Stong, fast and does a little bit of everything. Looks like a nice addition for the Sioux. :glare:

Are you ready for some football?

He is eligible this fall correct. Looks good.

I don't think the Bison have a player that can tackle him.

Can't stop talking about the Herd.

Youtube of Jarrel Davis. Stong, fast and does a little bit of everything. Looks like a nice addition for the Sioux. :glare:

Thats good footage. Two things stood out. First was how well Jarrel stands in and blocks. That was impressive. Second was how aggressive he was in getting up field. Didn't waste time doing a lot of dancing. Combine Jarrel with the rest of our recruiting class coming in and I am very happy in the direction of the program. There is a lot of potential there. Thats all you can ask for and hope that a majority of the players reach that potential and stay healthy.

Thats good footage. Two things stood out. First was how well Jarrel stands in and blocks. That was impressive. Second was how aggressive he was in getting up field. Didn't waste time doing a lot of dancing. Combine Jarrel with the rest of our recruiting class coming in and I am very happy in the direction of the program. There is a lot of potential there. Thats all you can ask for and hope that a majority of the players reach that potential and stay healthy.

....and ACADEMICALLY ELIGIBLE!!!

I talked to a football parent last night who said that his understanding was that Murray would be good to go this fall, so I'm not sure what to believe right now. We'll find out soon I guess.

Good to go would be great. Like Hambone said Davis catches the ball well, so having both Murray and Davis in the game at the same time would be nice.

I haven't heard anything good regarding Murray either. Sounds like we need to prepare for the worst with him this fall.

I believe that pursuing the JUCO tailback was a reaction to the Murray situation. Why would we go get another JUCO RB if we had Murray ready to go for the fall? We would have had plenty of depth with Murray, Solum, Battle, Sutton and Magstadt.

All signs point to Murray not playing this fall. :glare:

EDIT: By the way, it makes absolutely ZERO sense now to pull the redshirt on Binns. Put him on the scout team, let him mature physically for a year with the strength program, and concentrate on academics for this first year.

I talked to a football parent last night who said that his understanding was that Murray would be good to go this fall, so I'm not sure what to believe right now. We'll find out soon I guess.

When I talked to Murray in April at the Hyslop he said he was getting things worked out so he would play this fall 2009. Maybe he didn't.

I haven't seen him since.

Why is there no 2009-10 football roster posted by UND. I see the Bison have there's.

When I talked to Murray in April at the Hyslop he said he was getting things worked out so he would play this fall 2009. Maybe he didn't.

I haven't seen him since.

Why is there no 2009-10 football roster posted by UND. I see the Bison have there's.

That is NDSU's spring roster. UND historically does not post the spring roster on its website - I wish they did!

Teams do not post their fall rosters this early as there are often players that do not return to school in the fall. It will normally be posted about the time camp opens. At that time, the coaches pretty much know for sure who is returning.

Arkansas News: Bowl Game of sorts for UCA and UND

The football playoffs for Football Championship Subdivision teams, such as UCA, begin Thanksgiving weekend, but the Bears won’t be eligible to participate until 2010. Knowing that, Conque and Teague huddled a couple of years ago to discuss what could be done for the UCA football players trapped in the transition.

They decided to ask the NCAA if it was permissible to play a game after the last regular-season date.

“When you’re ineligible for postseason, you’ve got to be creative in how you motivate your team,” Conque said.

Yes, the NCAA said, as long as the schools don’t exceed the limit of 11 games.

Immediately, Teague began calling football-playing schools in transition, including three in North Carolina. Some didn’t respond and some said no, but North Dakota was an affirmative.

Located in Grand Forks, North Dakota has been a national power in Division II for years. The Fighting Sioux play home games in a domed stadium that seats 12,283.

The contract is a home and home with no monetary guarantee. UCA will return the game in 2012, the same year the Bears play at Ole Miss.

“For the younger players, we want them to get used to practicing and playing around Dec. 1,” Conque said. “Our perspective is that it’s a postseason bowl game.”

To him, there is nothing better than a football team sharing tackles and turkey during Thanksgiving week

EDIT: By the way, it makes absolutely ZERO sense now to pull the redshirt on Binns. Put him on the scout team, let him mature physically for a year with the strength program, and concentrate on academics for this first year.

I respectfully disagree. If Binns can show in pre-fall that he's one of the top three backs, let him play. We desperately need playmakers right now, and as we've seen the past two years, keeping our top backs in the program and eligible for more a couple of years is far from a guarantee, so using one of those years on a red-shirt season may turn out to be a waste (see Chappell as Exhibit A).

I respectfully disagree. If Binns can show in pre-fall that he's one of the top three backs, let him play. We desperately need playmakers right now, and as we've seen the past two years, keeping our top backs in the program and eligible for more a couple of years is far from a guarantee, so using one of those years on a red-shirt season may turn out to be a waste (see Chappell as Exhibit A).

Fair enough. I respect that.

But why go get a JUCO running back AND pull the redshirt on Binns? Seems like a waste of talent if you ask me. You can't give all 6 RB's carries. If you are gonna go spend a scholarship on a JUCO RB in July, he better be playing for you right away. Otherwise it's kind of a waste of a scholarship for a year or two. I'd rather redshirt Binns now, even if he could contribute some right away. I guess I will be the optimist and say that Chappell and Murray will be the exceptions in terms of grades. We will be loving it down the road when Binns is a 5th year senior and we are playoff eligible. :glare:

That's assuming, of course, he stays academically eligible. :ohmy:

By the way, this isn't just a RB specific problem. We have been very unlucky as fans that the last two times it has been our star RB's. It could happen at QB, OL, or DB too. Under your assumption, we shouldn't redshirt anyone because all of them potentially could have academic problems.