SiouxSports.com Forum

The Next Step

GeauxSioux

Unknowns remain after nickname vote

There are unanswered questions, such as where the tribe wants to go from here, committee Chairman Grant Shaft said.

Spirit Lake nickname opponents say they hope to undo the referendum and turn the tribe against the nickname.

Anti-nickname organizer Erich Longie said he hopes Tribal Council members who win after next month

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unknowns remain after nickname voteHe cracks me up with his "get the message out". How condescending to tell the members of the tribe to vote "no", because they "should" be offended. Is that what we mean by educating. And UND is accused of being racist?

Yeah, how was the playing field "not level"? All members basically have the same context for their experiences in our culture. Some like it, some don't. By a landslide they like it.

Unknowns remain after nickname voteHe cracks me up with his "get the message out". How condescending to tell the members of the tribe to vote "no", because they "should" be offended. Is that what we mean by educating. And UND is accused of being racist?

Totally agree with you. This clown is the true definition of racism. Longie, like Jeanotee, and others "know" what is best for their people even though their people at Spirit Lake just said overwhelmingly that they favor the nickname/logo.

Same two key points remain:

1) Tribal leaders are not bound by the vote to do anything differently than if there had been no vote at all

2) No matter what happens, there will be tribal people who fight the nickname continually. Esp., now that they can see the end, they will never give up.

Totally agree with you. This clown is the true definition of racism. Longie, like Jeanotee, and others "know" what is best for their people even though their people at Spirit Lake just said overwhelmingly that they favor the nickname/logo.

i especially like how they make the people on their reservations out to be these morons that can't possibly think for themselves. And not to mention are so desperate that they can have their views swayed by getting a free things. Longie and Jeanotee sound like the racist ones putting down their own communities as desprite morons.

i especially like how they make the people on their reservations out to be these morons that can't possibly think for themselves. And not to mention are so desperate that they can have their views swayed by getting a free things. Longie and Jeanotee sound like the racist ones putting down their own communities as desprite morons.

These folks are the NA equivalents of what Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are to the African-American community in this nation. These "leaders" know what is best for their own people because their people aren't smart enough to figure it out themselves, plus these "leaders" own self-centered agendas always trump the voice of their own people.

Yeah the Summit is so impressive. I can't wait to watch a bunch of no names play the Sioux in basketball.

Get a grip.

The Summit is an autobid and is a realistic possibility...unless the Big 12 or Big 10 come calling? I'm not for selling our soul for a conference invitation, but middle ground needs to be found, and I'm trusting that those conversations between Kelley, Faison, and Douple are happening.

Even if it means that UND doesn't get into the Summit?
You know, one has to wonder - doesn't it seem that since the Spirit Lake vote yet again reaffirmed all previous scientific polling regarding NA opinions on NA sports teams' nicknames that MlpsBison should put his considerable talents to use badgering ad nausem Erich Longie,Tom Douple, Myles Brand and Joel Maturi instead of filling this forum with his repetitive drone? They are the ones that are holding indefensible positions on the subject. Makes you wonder about his true motives, doesn't it?

The Summit will still be there in 2010 and likely still at 11 members. As long as UND stays within the timeframe of the NCAA settlement they should be fine. I don't think the league or member schools will hold anything against UND for finishing the nickname fight.

You either want to try to save the nickname at the potential cost of Summit membership or you want to drop the nickname and guarantee Summit membership.
Since you are apparently in a position to guarantee Summit membership, why don't you just go ahead and make it no longer conditional. I mean, you do acknowledge that that would be the right thing to do since only a minority of a minority wish to have the name changed, right?

doesn't it seem that since the Spirit Lake vote yet again reaffirmed all previous scientific polling regarding NA opinions on NA sports teams' nicknames that MlpsBison should put his considerable talents to use badgering ad nausem Erich Longie,Tom Douple, Myles Brand and Joel Maturi instead of filling this forum with his repetitive drone? They are the ones that are holding indefensible positions on the subject. Makes you wonder about his true motives, doesn't it?

Nicely put and I agree. The P.C. Hords need to be beaten back.

The Summit will still be there in 2010 and likely still at 11 members. As long as UND stays within the timeframe of the NCAA settlement they should be fine. I don't think the league or member schools will hold anything against UND for finishing the nickname fight.

I think you are right. There is no need to rush.

Even if it means that UND doesn't get into the Summit?

Isn't there other conferences out there besides the Summitt like the Big Sky. If UND is almost not going to get into the Summitt because of their name like you say wouldn't UND be knocking on the door of other conferences? But since there are no other campus visits by the Summitt besides USD i would think UND isn't worried.

All I know is that MPLSBISON is just trying to stir the pot. You have stated your opinion and position on the Sioux name, so be done with it, we know your stance as you pray to the all mighty Summit gods!

Yes, getting into the Summit would be nice, it is a good conference, but there are other conferences that UND could join! Or hell maybe the NCC will be resurrected with USD, SDSU, Neb-O (when they come calling) yes Bison fans even NDSU! Why not there are other schools that are making or wanting to make the jump so it makes sense and if we only have 6 or 8 schools so what, we can play a tough non-conference schedule with the Big Sky, Summit, MAC, Big-10, Big-12. Maybe I am dreamin' but last time I heard there was no one saying that we had to jump into the Summit. So MPLSBISON why don't you go back to the Farm and chat up with your own kind!

Let UND, the alum, fans and the Sioux Tribes determine what is best for us, and stop trying to stir the pot!

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicely put and I agree. The P.C. Hords need to be beaten back.

Yes, indeed. The PC hordes do need another good political beat-down like they got from Spirit Lake. BTW, if UND gets permission from both tribes via a vote it has satisfied the NC00's criteria in the "settlement" so the Summit should have no problems with UND as there would be no re-imposition of "sanctions." It's all is good with the NC00 PC morons it should be good with the Summit PC morons, right? I guess I'd be mistaken to expect consistency and rational thinking from such types.

BTW, if UND gets permission from both tribes via a vote it has satisfied the NC00's criteria in the "settlement" so the Summit should have no problems with UND as there would be no re-imposition of "sanctions."
emphasis mine

I don't have the agreeement in front of me so it's JMHO for right now; but I believe the agreement talks about needing permission according to the Tribal Constitutions of Spirit Lake and Standing Rock so there's no guarantee that a popular vote meets that criteria.

My reading of the above is that one person can speak on behalf of the Spirit Lake tribe, as long as that person is authorized to bind or speak for the tribe. It would not require a tribal council vote. I admit that I have zero knowledge on the structure of tribal government, but it would seem to me that Tribal Chairperson Pearson could use the vote this week as the approval of her constituents and speak on behalf of the Spirit Lake nation and bind an agreement with the SBoHE.

• 3 weeks later...