SiouxSports.com Forum

The Next Step

GeauxSioux

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything happens it's more likely to happen in the spring/summer when people are less engaged or out of the loop. Kendall Baker tried the same thing one summer when I was on campus with regard to the name, and got a punch in the junk regardless.

The latest news report on KNOX radio included a sound bite from Grant Shaft. He made it sound like the reason the nickname was on the agenda was to give a report on status, including talking about the vote at Spirit Lake. He expects the committee to continue its work although the timeline may be adjusted. He will be on KNOX at 11:37 this morning and Rich Becker will be on at 10:37 discussing the issue.

This statement at the end stands out:

That would be my first take on the matter. After a pretty resounding victory for nickname supporters in a tribal vote, for the trustees to vote to eliminate the nickname now would make no sense. Angering the tribal supporters
AND
the overwhelming majority of alums right now would be totally counterproductive. (But I've found that trustees at universities can be wildly dumb, so nothing is impossible.
:silly:
)

Perhaps a committee will be proposed; maybe a group to talk with the tribes about what will happen if the nickname stays?

That would be my first take on the matter. After a pretty resounding victory for nickname supporters in a tribal vote, for the trustees to vote to eliminate the nickname now would make no sense. Angering the tribal supporters
AND
the overwhelming majority of alums right now would be totally counterproductive. (But I've found that trustees at universities can be wildly dumb, so nothing is impossible.
:silly:
)

Perhaps a committee will be proposed; maybe a group to talk with the tribes about what will happen if the nickname stays?

I was told that this meeting will likely take steps to retire the Fighting Sioux name and if I "wanted Sioux gear or clothing to buy it now". Reason is that UND needs a D1AA conference and the Summit needs a traveling partner for USD. None of the referendums on the reservations are binding and therefore the tribal councils may do as they please. Obviously the vote at Spirit Lake didn't change the position of the tribal council there and the guy at Standing Rock, "his Horse is Smarter" isn't going to help.

Doesn't matter if you support the name or not, it is time to move on. There is no reason to waste time and money over an issue we can't control.

I was told that this meeting will likely take steps to retire the Fighting Sioux name and if I "wanted Sioux gear or clothing to buy it now". Reason is that UND needs a D1AA conference and the Summit needs a traveling partner for USD. None of the referendums on the reservations are binding and therefore the tribal councils may do as they please. Obviously the vote at Spirit Lake didn't change the position of the tribal council there and the guy at Standing Rock, "his Horse is Smarter" isn't going to help.

Doesn't matter if you support the name or not, it is time to move on. There is no reason to waste time and money over an issue we can't control.

Absolutely! With Summit membership right there and the fact that UND will always be subject to the whim of new Tribal Councils, it is time to drop the Sioux nickname.

Also, not to be a prick but, the Summit is a DI conference. That's it. There is no DI-AA outside of football, and even that was changed to "FCS".

My guess is that it will be announced tomorrow that the Board voted to remove the name and the process will be set in place over the next school year. 2010 will be the first year as "The University of North Dakota". Screw getting a new nickname for now, see how everything plays out first.

I will also be expecting a campus visit soon after from Mr. Douple. :silly:

Now is not the time to bow to the hippies. A conference will come and I find it hard to believe that is a good enough reason to drop the name. I am sick of the double standard in this country and some people can do stuff but it is wrong for another. Fighting Sioux=Fighting Irish. As soon as Norte Dame drops their name then we can talk.

Now is not the time to bow to the hippies. A conference will come and I find it hard to believe that is a good enough reason to drop the name. I am sick of the double standard in this country and some people can do stuff but it is wrong for another. Fighting Sioux=Fighting Irish. As soon as Norte Dame drops their name then we can talk.

The difference is that the Native Americans had already homesteaded North America and the Europeans more or less just said "no..we want it" and murdered those NA who got in their way.

That's why NA reservations exist and there are no Irish reservations.

Not quite the same.

Absolutely! With Summit membership right there and the fact that UND will always be subject to the whim of new Tribal Councils, it is time to drop the Sioux nickname.

Also, not to be a prick but, the Summit is a DI conference. That's it. There is no DI-AA outside of football, and even that was changed to "FCS".

It is NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE.

It is going to be there two years from now and there is no reason to hurry with the nick name.

The following is an "on your honor" quiz for Sioux fans.

Answers are not to be posted here to maintain the integrity of the quiz. No "Google"-ing for the answer, other than to check your work.

Grade your own quiz and just report how well you did: It's Pass/Fail grading, all correct or you fail.

Since so many are willing to trade "Sioux" for "Summit" ...

Name the current membership of the Summit League, and the cities in which they are located.

You'd better know what you're getting in return when you're giving something valuable away.

This is another example of the fact that the pro nickname people have never taken the opinon of the Native Americans for granted. The lefty loons are attempting to disregard the recent vote, the future vote, and the whole process to push their political agenda. They say they are trying to protect Native Americans, but they just take them for granted. It's sick. Just like Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton. True saints looking out for everyone else with no profit in mind. Obviously I'm being sarcastic about the last part. It's a great tragedy when a few people with radical ideas speak on behalf of a group of people and profit from it in some way. Most of these libs don't care about NA's. It's a joke. They care about themselves. The tribes are speaking and soon all of them will have spoken. Obviously they don't care about what the tribes want.

I'm not a Sioux, but I am part NA and I can say that I appreciate the recent vote. I don't appreciate a few lunatics who want to speak for everyone.

For the most part the people on this board have been a voice of reason. Goon has always stood tall. At no point have I ever read anyone on here taking the NA's for granted. That's our good friends in Dickinson, some UND professors, and a few hippies who do that. If you are NA or have a future vote, please remember that.

Go Sioux! Now and forever!

The difference is that the Native Americans had already homesteaded North America and the Europeans more or less just said "no..we want it" and murdered those NA who got in their way.

That's why NA reservations exist and there are no Irish reservations.

Not quite the same.

THEY ARE BOTH ETHIC NICKNAMES IT IS THE SAME!!!!!

Ask the Irish what they had to go thru when they came here!! Learn your history. The point is that they are both names from ethic backgrounds if one is fine then both should be fine. DOUBLE STANDARD

Answers are not to be posted here to maintain the integrity of the quiz. No "Google"-ing for the answer, other than to check your work.

Grade your own quiz and just report how well you did: It's Pass/Fail grading, all correct or you fail.

Name the current membership of the Summit League, and the cities in which they are located.

You'd better know what you're getting in return when you're giving something valuable away.

Let me say it isn't an impressive league. I would rather see the Sioux try to get into the BCS.

The summit league isn't worth the Fighting Sioux name either.

Unknowns remain after nickname voteHe cracks me up with his "get the message out". How condescending to tell the members of the tribe to vote "no", because they "should" be offended. Is that what we mean by educating. And UND is accused of being racist?

Here is some info for you. An old friend who is a Native American and opposed to the nickname facebooked me the other day. I responded to his friend request and there is a group (not surprisingly) against the nickname that he joined so it popped up on my FB page. I checked it out, one guy on there wrote on the wall how "embarrassed he was over the vote and that they are going to re organize and re vote! The fight is far from over!!!" It is really upsetting, because these few criticize their own people for supporting it, and will stop at nothing to get the outcome that they desire. Here is the link to the group it is called Petition to get rid of the Fighting Sioux name.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=140...4824&ref=mf

THEY ARE BOTH ETHIC NICKNAMES IT IS THE SAME!!!!!

Ask the Irish what they had to go thru when they came here!! Learn your history. The point is that they are both names from ethic backgrounds if one is fine then both should be fine. DOUBLE STANDARD

This is getting off topic...

but the Irish chose to come to America.

Native Americans were here before any Europeans and were litterally murdered so that their lands could be taken from them.

Please. It's nothing even close to the same.

From the article...

There are other Division I programs currently looking for conference affiliation, including
Chicago State

:silly::D:)

I would love, and let me repeat LOVE to hear the Douple apologists talk about the results of a site visit there. :lol::lol:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?sho...177&st=1094

Talk about a crying need to protect a conference from a potential member...

The fight was lost the day that the settlement agreement with the NCAA was signed by the AG. Something very valuable was given away that day, and I'm not a bit happy about it. Some acknowledged it, others chose not to do so. What other conference opportunities are out there in the pipeline that we're not seeing? I'm not privy to such information, maybe there's an important puzzle piece you are aware of? I can't for the life of me understand the Summit bashing.

If it is true that Standing Rock is close to a referendum, I would love to see that process play out. However, this is tribal politics and the votes are non-binding and obligate the tribal councils in absolutely no way, shape, or form.

There is nickname fatigue amongst the faithful, and it's time to move on. It's about providing the best opportunities possible for our present and future student athletes in all of our programs. Sadly, it looks as though retiring the Fighting Sioux name will be what it requires to move the ball forward. The writing was on the wall 18 months ago.