SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey via Satellite

best0186

Thanks Sprig. I'm thinking of just doing a fixed satellite and point to whatever Satellite FSSN will be on. Unfortunately I don't think alot of the other FTA programming would be of interest to me. Unless there are other sports on 97W?? From what I've read there's not much else on 91W. Is it possible to pick up both 97 W and 91 W with one point.....slightly angling the the lnb's to do so?

Thanks Sprig. I'm thinking of just doing a fixed satellite and point to whatever Satellite FSSN will be on. Unfortunately I don't think alot of the other FTA programming would be of interest to me. Unless there are other sports on 97W?? From what I've read there's not much else on 91W. Is it possible to pick up both 97 W and 91 W with one point.....slightly angling the the lnb's to do so?

Unlikely, these transponders are not as strong as those used by dish and directtv. Most news channels, news feeds, and foreign stations on KU band. Miami's home hockey is usually on Ohio News Network at 74W. Occasionally I've picked up an ECAC game (unfortunately the Sioux game was not uplinked last season). Grizzly football is on KU band (every game, has been on 99W recently). World Cup soccer was on 93W (Spanish announcers). Short time ago several fox network stations were available from different places in the county (Michigan, Montana, and Texas) so NFL football games were on (none are available any longer).

97W has a few interesting news stations (2 of which are Russia Today and Al Jazeera network, both in English), among others. ABC News on 89W. 91W has had little else but the FSSN recently, but the strengh of signal is the best since the FSSN began on other satellites. There has been an occasional FSSN change in satellites during the season when the REA makes a deal to pick up a feed from a road series, and has to buy satellite space wherever it's available at the time.

• Upvote 1

I guess ONN ended their run of KU band broadcasts, so no more Miami hockey. I fear that, with FSSN getting on FCS, it's just a matter of time before the REA no longer pays for a satellite uplink, and all of us satellite guys will have to either buy directtv, talk dish into adding FCS, or, go without FSSN :ohmy:

Would be nice if the REA put out a news release soon on whether FSSN will be uplinked this season.

• Upvote 1

why wouldn't it be?

FCS is just contracted to show the games that are produced by the FSSN. How do you think THEY get the games? :ohmy:

(yep...satellite)

I hope it does, I don't have any other way to get it myself, unless I change tv providers. Ice, what is the point in tracking my posts catching errors in what I post concerning satellite TV. I have one interest in FTA, getting the FSSN, and, where I can, helping Sioux fans trying to get it set up. Other than that I know little to nothing about satellite TV, other than my first purchase included a very poorly constructed dish that I had to replace, and my life is not built around satellite message boards. There's good reason for a Sioux fan that just wants to get FSSN to get good components the first time.

If I were a Miami hockey fan living outside the area that can get ONN, and relying on FTA, I'd be upset right now, knowing that I could no longer get it. I hope that doesn't happen to the FSSN.

• Upvote 1

If I were a Miami hockey fan living outside the area that can get ONN, and relying on FTA, I'd be upset right now, knowing that I could no longer get it.

The Miami Ohio games were not just on ONN. There was a raw feed out there too.

ONN dropped satellite because of money...they went fibre and IP network :ohmy:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the info on FTA options Sprig. Think I'll wait it out a bit and see what FSSN's plans are this year before purchasing a system.

Good idea, there are MANY unscrupulous dealers and forums out there that just want to sell satellite systems, they could not care less if the programming you got the system for remains free to Air or not.

I ALWAYS advise Sioux fans to wait for the Schedule to be announced JUST to be on the safe side ; )

You can't go wrong if you listen to Sprig!

GO SIOUX

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does Directv not carry Fox College Sports anymore? They did, didn't they? A chat agent on their website told me it's not available.

yes it still there

617 & 623 are channel numbers

You need to sports pack to view the games that will be shown on there

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Does Directv not carry Fox College Sports anymore? They did, didn't they? A chat agent on their website told me it's not available.

MUCH better picture on Free to Air satellite : )

Especially if you do what Sprig just did, he got himself a TRAXIS DBS 4000 and he uses the HDMi output direct to his Big screen TV

ALMOST HD Quality :ohmy:

Free to air satellite is First generation, DirecTV's picture is 2nd or 3rd generation and then squished to fit in with another 50 digital channels on the same transponder! For Free to Air a full transponder is used for the broadcast, result is a MUCH better picture.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Especially if you do what Sprig just did, he got himself a TRAXIS DBS 4000 and he uses the HDMi output direct to his Big screen TV

Free to air satellite is First generation, DirecTV's picture is 2nd or 3rd generation and then squished to fit in with another 50 digital channels on the same transponder! For Free to Air a full transponder is used for the broadcast, result is a MUCH better picture.

I'm checking for my parents. If it was up to me....i'd go with both.

I couldn't agree more with the picture quality on an FTA system. I had PSB install my FTA satellite last fall and the picture quality from my FTA satellite was 100 times better than Direct TV's picture. I don't have as nice of a system as Sprig, but I do have a fixed FTA and my picture for Sioux hockey games is nearly HD quality. FTA is much better than what you will pick up with Direct TV. That's just my opinon though.........

I couldn't agree more with the picture quality on an FTA system. I had PSB install my FTA satellite last fall and the picture quality from my FTA satellite was 100 times better than Direct TV's picture. I don't have as nice of a system as Sprig, but I do have a fixed FTA and my picture for Sioux hockey games is nearly HD quality. FTA is much better than what you will pick up with Direct TV. That's just my opinon though.........

Thanks Sioux2007 for your opinion ; )

Another plus with the full bandwidth used on FTA satellite is seeing the actual puck............ hockey is such a fast game that with DirecTV's compressed, blotchy, pixalized picture it's hard to spot the puck.

Of course with Sioux games the puck is usually easy to find as its usually in the opponents net : )

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The picture on your 3500 is excellent, and I wouldn't change to the 4000 when you have what you have. If you're setting up for the first time and have an hdtv with hdmi inputs, the 4000 is worth the extra $. I've split my hdtv scrren when the Sioux-Gophters were on dishnetwork in HD, and compared to the FTA screen, and there is virtually no difference. If you compare the same SD broadcast on dishnetwork FSN to the FTA feed, FTA blows it away.

For Free to Air a full transponder is used for the broadcast, result is a MUCH better picture.

uh why dont you give the correct info.....instead of exaggerating. If they used the FULL transponder the symbol rate would be between 26400 (like FSN uses) and 30000 (like Big10 uses) which compared to the paltry 4880 the FSSN uses is dramatically different.

The FSSN uses a symbol rate of 4880 which is 1/6 of a full transponder. So on that same transponder there may be more than one feed.

And 50 channels on Directv? Try 11 or 12 tops.....better than what Gloebcast crams on there :ohmy:

I always love the "almost HD" comment some folks say...while its good it isnt HD....if some folks actually saw a unbasterdized HD feed you'd wet yourself

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Are those channels always on, because they don't show in the all channels online guide?

they are RSN Alt channels so on online guides they may not show....very rarely to be exact since the programming changes all the time..Since right now FCS has nothing "live" it just says "TBA" on D*

But they do show in the guide on Directv

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

uh why dont you give the correct info.....instead of exaggerating. If they used the FULL transponder the symbol rate would be between 26400 (like FSN uses) and 30000 (like Big10 uses) which compared to the paltry 4880 the FSSN uses is dramatically different.

The FSSN uses a symbol rate of 4880 which is 1/6 of a full transponder. So on that same transponder there may be more than one feed.

And 50 channels on Directv? Try 11 or 12 tops.....better than what Gloebcast crams on there :ohmy:

I always love the "almost HD" comment some folks say...while its good it isnt HD....if some folks actually saw a unbasterdized HD feed you'd wet yourself

Good grief, condescending, anyone? If I were a mod here, you'd get the "stirring up trouble" warning. Guessing you've already wet yourself loving the "almost HD" comment, although falling in love with a message board comment can't be all that stimulating.

While disagreement is more than welcome, this is a little unnecessarily adversarial. Keep it friendly, folks.

While disagreement is more than welcome, this is a little unnecessarily adversarial. Keep it friendly, folks.

Sorry, Jim

Ice brings out the worst in me when he's condescending towards an excellent FTA professional installer that has helped out a multitude of Sioux fans that want to get the FSSN.