SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey via Satellite

best0186

that's become the clear case. i think we're just all so anxious to know whether or not those of us with directv will be able to see the games that we're going around and around on this hoping for some clarification that isn't available yet. i hope it's on and i just with directv would post something somewhere containing their schedule for 617, 623, and any other channel that doesn't currently show a schedule. after all, the game is on in two days and they're still not letting us know if it will be on.

Saturday's football game available on DirecTV channel 623

Courtesy: Christy Kramer, UND Athletic Media Relations Release: 10/02/2009

Courtesy: FightingSioux.com

The Fighting Sioux host South Dakota on Saturday.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Fox College Sports has announced that Saturday's football game between the University of South Dakota and the University of North Dakota will be available on DirecTV channel 623.

The game, produced by the Fighting Sioux Sports Network, will also be available on cable throughout North and South Dakota on The Midcontinent Communications Channel, on 20 different independent cable companies in North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota, and nationally through Fox College Sports Atlantic. For complete broadcast information and coverage in your area, check the FightingSioux.com broadcast page.

Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. CT live from the Alerus Center in Grand Forks.

Saturday's football game available on DirecTV channel 623

Courtesy: Christy Kramer, UND Athletic Media Relations Release: 10/02/2009

Courtesy: FightingSioux.com

The Fighting Sioux host South Dakota on Saturday.

GRAND FORKS, N.D. -- Fox College Sports has announced that Saturday's football game between the University of South Dakota and the University of North Dakota will be available on DirecTV channel 623.

The game, produced by the Fighting Sioux Sports Network, will also be available on cable throughout North and South Dakota on The Midcontinent Communications Channel, on 20 different independent cable companies in North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota, and nationally through Fox College Sports Atlantic. For complete broadcast information and coverage in your area, check the FightingSioux.com broadcast page.

Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. CT live from the Alerus Center in Grand Forks.

solid facts. nice work.

where did you find this? i'd like to keep my eye on your source in case something similar is released about the hockey game.

i hope this isn't going to be the process for every home hockey series this year. i'd certainly like to know a little bit ahead of time whether i'll be able to catch it at home.

solid facts. nice work.

where did you find this? i'd like to keep my eye on your source in case something similar is released about the hockey game.

i hope this isn't going to be the process for every home hockey series this year. i'd certainly like to know a little bit ahead of time whether i'll be able to catch it at home.

nevermind. i see you already posted your source: fightingsioux.com

For those with Dish Network. I called and complained last night about not getting the same channel as DirecTV that shows these live, exclusive games. They said they were sorry and they offered me $10 off my bill for 12 months. That's great but does not fix the problem. So then I filled out this form:

http://dishnetwork.com/customerService/con...il/default.aspx

and complained there too. They responded back saying they would pass this on to the programming department. So I would encourage all Dish users on here to fill out this form and request the same channel as DirecTV has, 617. The more support we get the better chance we will have at seeing this!

What a ripoff....i just called Dish and all they did was offer me a new DVR receiver (which i already have) for free with 24 month comittment.

solid facts. nice work.

FYI, I use titantv.com for my direcTV listings online. I had to add the 3 FCS channels manually to my schedule (FCSC which is 617, FCSP, and FCSA which is 623).

623 shows the football game on saturday and the hockey game on sunday, and the Sioux Sports Extra a few times as well.

Looking ahead shows the hockey game on 623 on 10/09, but did not see the game listed on 10/10.

617 shows the Sioux Sports Extra a few times.

So it looks to me so far channel 623 is going to be used most of the time for the games.

Trust me, buy the motorized system.

OK, now that FCS is gonna be airing the games and I have Dish Network, I'm thinking about this again.

Should i get this, or switch to Directv or cable? What else can be found on these satellites?

I'm getting sick of only being able to see only a couple games a year.

Should i get this, or switch to Directv or cable? What else can be found on these satellites?

You can find CCHA, primarily Miami games, on Ohio News Network. I've also picked up occasional ECHA games. The FSSN is the most prominent sports network on KU band, but there are several New stations, as well as news feeds. You will need a motor to get arouind to different satellites, no much on 91W except the FSSN.

If you have a large screen TV, you'll definitely like the quality of the uncompressed feed that is delivered on satellite, a whole lot better than SD on directtv, or cable.

• Downvote 1

yup, was thinking about getting the traxis motorized system for $254 from the PSB site. Do instructions come with it?

Yes, but not great instructions. You'll want to ask questions on the visionplus forum if you're installing yourself. Not that hard, but new installers usually have questions until they figure out the stb and pointed the dish. If you're in the TC, you can have Pete do the install.

• Downvote 1

OK, now that FCS is gonna be airing the games and I have Dish Network, I'm thinking about this again.

I'm getting sick of only being able to see only a couple games a year.

Honestly, and I've been a faithful FTA viewer for 6 seasons now, I'm a DirecTV subscriber and I can tell you that if the game is on DTV, I won't be firing up the FTA. I love my FTA set up, but it can be a pain in the ass. Right now, it looks as if it might be a bit of a crap-shoot to figure out which channel DirectTV is going to air UND games on each week, and we don't know for sure yet really if every singleFSSN broadcast is going to be on DirecTV.

Here are my thoughts (if I didn't live on a farm in the boonies of North Dakota where cable is not an option):

If you are asking if you should have DirecTV or DishNetwork, the answer is DirecTV.....period. They may cost a bit more, but the reason is because their programming is so much better overall, and especially if you are a sports fan.

If you are a hardcore fan and want to make sure that you can watch EVERY SINGLE FSSN telecast, and with some extra effort maybe pick up an away game or two each season, invest in the FTA set-up.

If you live in an area where the local cable company offers either MidCo Ch. 23, or beyond the midwest where the cable company offers the 3 FCS channels, that would be the easiest and safest route to go. If I lived 7 miles east, I could get cable from MidCo and that is I would personally do.

To sum up, FTA is a small investment dollar-wise, but it is not for the faint of heart. It is not so much a luxury as it is a hobby. You have to really really want to watch the sports that it will provide to take full advantage of it.

In addition to the visionplus.us forum that Sprig has recommended, I would highly suggest checking out satelliteguys.us, there is alot more traffic there, and alot of info on the Fighting Sioux Sports Network, just so you can see what you would be getting yourself into.

Like I say, FTA is a great option to have, I have loved it for 6 years now, but I would gladly pay $8-15/month to DirecTV/Cable to get the same thing.

Yes, but not great instructions. You'll want to ask questions on the visionplus forum if you're installing yourself. Not that hard, but new installers usually have questions until they figure out the stb and pointed the dish. If you're in the TC, you can have Pete do the install.

any installers in NW Minnesota that you know of?

For those with Dish Network. I called and complained last night about not getting the same channel as DirecTV that shows these live, exclusive games. They said they were sorry and they offered me $10 off my bill for 12 months. That's great but does not fix the problem.

Well i called AGAIN. Now they offered me $15 off per month for a year, waive $5 phone line fee for life, and 3 free months of HBO and Skinamax.

What should i do? Stay or switch to Directv and get the NFL Package and 5 free months of their top programming package AND watch the Sioux?

Well i called AGAIN. Now they offered me $15 off per month for a year, waive $5 phone line fee for life, and 3 free months of HBO and Skinamax.

What should i do? Stay or switch to Directv and get the NFL Package and 5 free months of their top programming package AND watch the Sioux?

:angry:

any installers in NW Minnesota that you know of?

Unfortunately I don't; you may get a dish/directtv installer to point for you if you stop at a satellite/tv store. It's really not that hard to do, the pain is when sats are changed, especially mid year. With a motor, no problem, without one, a PITA.

Here's a list of available FTA channels:

http://www.dmsiusa.com/channels.html

Note the FSSN will not show on these lists. Several FOX and ABC network channels have recently disappeared after years of FTA service. There are a couple stations that have been in the clear for some time now (History and Biography channels).

The reseller list, http://www.dmsiusa.com/links.html, shows Leroy's Electronics in North Dakota, with an email link. Not sure where that is located, but it's a good place to start. Or get one of the Sioux fans with FTA in the TC to offer Pete a ride to a hockey series in GF, and bring along a system to install :angry:

Do you have a good view of the southern sky from your house? Are there trees in close proximity to the south side of your house. Since you have a dishnetwork dish installed over there somewhere, I assume you can see the southern sky (dish in that area points at 110W, 119W, and 129W-for HD). You can use the same cable, or the same route into your house for a second cable for an FTA system. You're somewhere in the vicinity of 97W longitude, so your south satellite to point at with a motorized system is the satellite at 97W, which is, a sat with strong signals, The dishnetwork dishes are pointed to the southwest, your FSSN point would be slightly to the southeast.

Here's a great site to find your location with google maps and look at the pointing directions to different satellites from your house:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Sounds like I need to call dish and complain, to save a few bucks and get some freebees. Thanks for the info. Did you push the idea with them that you were going to change to directtv to get those offers?

Do you have a fixed system, bin? Really isn't much of a problem getting around with a motor once set up, Picture quality beats the dish and directtv standard digital. I use the FTA system little except for FSSN, but it is worth it for that. The motor makes it easy to head for a different satellite (there have been in season satellite changes the last two seasons), it would be a pain to have to repoint during a ND winter with a fixed system. Also, although I can get cable with the FSSN, they've constantly dropped the ball in delivering FSSN on numerous occasions (including the recent NW Louisiana football game), which is why I left cable and bought FTA a couple years ago.

• Downvote 1

Do you have a fixed system, bin? Really isn't much of a problem getting around with a motor once set up, Picture quality beats the dish and directtv standard digital. I use the FTA system little except for FSSN, but it is worth it for that. The motor makes it easy to head for a different satellite (there have been in season satellite changes the last two seasons), it would be a pain to have to repoint during a ND winter with a fixed system. Also, although I can get cable with the FSSN, they've constantly dropped the ball in delivering FSSN on numerous occasions (including the recent NW Louisiana football game), which is why I left cable and bought FTA a couple years ago.

No, I am motorized. Don't get me wrong, I love having my FTA system, it has allowed me to watch alot of Sioux sports and alot of other sports that I've been interested in. I just think it is a bit of hassle, compared to being able to just change the channel. And I have yet to find a really reliable reciever. Seems like no matter how much you spend, they all have glitches, poor instructions, and no support. The picture quality is much better than DirecTV or cable though.

Ironically, I'm heading up to the football game in a little while and planned to DVR the game on DirecTV, but now my reciever is not working this morning! :angry: So now I set the PVR on my Visionsat, so I should be good to go. :lol:

No, I am motorized. Don't get me wrong, I love having my FTA system, it has allowed me to watch alot of Sioux sports and alot of other sports that I've been interested in. I just think it is a bit of hassle, compared to being able to just change the channel. And I have yet to find a really reliable reciever. Seems like no matter how much you spend, they all have glitches, poor instructions, and no support. The picture quality is much better than DirecTV or cable though.

Ironically, I'm heading up to the football game in a little while and planned to DVR the game on DirecTV, but now my reciever is not working this morning! :angry: So now I set the PVR on my Visionsat, so I should be good to go. :lol:

While my experience with FTA receivers is limited to 2, I find the traxis very reliable, great for scanning, and right on with USALS for motoring around. The instruction book, however, as with all foreign made receivers, loses much in its translation to English. Most learning is by trial and error, rather than reading the manual.

I rather like the HD and sports packages delivered by dishnetwork, although apparently the big difference is, they don't offer Sunday ticket (do they?, not something I want so I haven't looked for it). They do provide local networks, including the HD stations, for western ND, something directtv still does not.

• Downvote 1

While my experience with FTA receivers is limited to 2, I find the traxis very reliable, great for scanning, and right on with USALS for motoring around. The instruction book, however, as with all foreign made receivers, loses much in its translation to English. Most learning is by trial and error, rather than reading the manual.

I rather like the HD and sports packages delivered by dishnetwork, although apparently the big difference is, they don't offer Sunday ticket (do they?, not something I want so I haven't looked for it). They do provide local networks, including the HD stations, for western ND, something directtv still does not.

No Sunday Ticket on Dish, which is the main reason I have stayed with DirecTV since I first got it in 1995. I am considering getting a 6 ft. dish for my FTA system so that I can pick up C-band. There is so much more sports out there if a guy had C-band, like tons of NFL and NHL games.

No Sunday Ticket on Dish, which is the main reason I have stayed with DirecTV since I first got it in 1995. I am considering getting a 6 ft. dish for my FTA system so that I can pick up C-band. There is so much more sports out there if a guy had C-band, like tons of NFL and NHL games.

That is true, with a BUD there is much more to get. I'm sure you're aware there are tons of big dishes all over the ND country side, free for the taking (those systems cost people over $10,000 when originally installed), but have since been replaced by cable, directtv, or dishnetwork. Not an option for me, I don't own the property south of my house. Dishnetwork remains the popular choice in NWND, since they offer the locals. Will see later today what they will offer for free when I call to complain about no FCS :angry:

• Downvote 1

That is true, with a BUD there is much more to get. I'm sure you're aware there are tons of big dishes all over the ND country side, free for the taking (those systems cost people over $10,000 when originally installed. Not an option for me, I don't own the property south of my house.

I've thought of that as I have a couple of friends with old 10 ft. BUD's in thier back yard. I think a 6 footer would be aesthically pleasing to my wife though. :angry: I also have worried about if by receiver would run the actuators on the old BUD's.

Actually the KU dish I use came out of a neighbor's dump. It is an old 1.2 meter Primestar dish. Works great though.

Sounds like I need to call dish and complain, to save a few bucks and get some freebees. Thanks for the info. Did you push the idea with them that you were going to change to directtv to get those offers?

Yes i told them about FCS picking up the sioux and also having NFL Sunday Ticket. But of course they were giving me the "freebies" because i've been such a "Loyal Customer" (ya right...how many people do they tell that too in a day).

Still can't decide on what i want to do.....

I've thought of that as I have a couple of friends with old 10 ft. BUD's in thier back yard. I think a 6 footer would be aesthically pleasing to my wife though. :angry: I also have worried about if by receiver would run the actuators on the old BUD's.

Actually the KU dish I use came out of a neighbor's dump. It is an old 1.2 meter Primestar dish. Works great though.

Wives and trees, always in the way when it comes to satellite :lol:

THose old actuators were a problem with the big dish, the gears wore out quickly due to the large dish size in the wind. Would guess new motors might work better, but would have to ask one of the satellite guys if that is improved. THe sg2100 with the small dish has a history of lasting years, so no worry there. The primestar with a C band lnb may get you some of those channels, although bigger is no doubt better.

Have you tried a dual lnb, http://www.dmsiusa.com/products.html#c-ku, with a switch or dual lines for both C and KU band with your primestar? It's advertised to work with a 90cm (although I'm not sure that works very well).

• Downvote 1