SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Hockey via Satellite

best0186

I know that some people watch UND hockey games on a satellite. I moved to Western ND and am thinking about switching from Midcontinent Com to Dishnetwork and therefore would lose the hockey feeds.

Can someone help me in understanding what kind of equipment I would need to purchase/install in order to recieve these games by satellite? Also, how well do they come in?

I am also wondering if you can ever pick up any games they play on the road?

Hopefully I can get something figured out by next Season!

I know that some people watch UND hockey games on a satellite. I moved to Western ND and am thinking about switching from Midcontinent Com to Dishnetwork and therefore would lose the hockey feeds.

Can someone help me in understanding what kind of equipment I would need to purchase/install in order to recieve these games by satellite? Also, how well do they come in?

I am also wondering if you can ever pick up any games they play on the road?

Hopefully I can get something figured out by next Season!

I have dishnetwork and a motorized system from PSBsatellite. Check them out below (I'm also in western ND).

FSSN televised one road series (at Duluth) this season. The Wisco series was also televised, but the dish had to be moved to point at a different satellite (no problem with motorized).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It would be so much easier if we could get dishnetwork or direct tv to carry the feed for an additional fee. Im so sick of cable one and their astronomical prices.

No kidding...I have the "Sports Package" for Dish but of course it doesn't include ESPNU. I called them and told them my thoughts :D

I have dishnetwork and a motorized system from PSBsatellite. Check them out below (I'm also in western ND).

FSSN televised one road series (at Duluth) this season. The Wisco series was also televised, but the dish had to be moved to point at a different satellite (no problem with motorized).

Thanks Sprig, I will look into that. I am getting upset with the poor managment of Midcontinent and am ready to switch back to Dish Network. Was the satellite from PSB expensive? How is the clarity compared to cable?

Thanks Sprig, I will look into that. I am getting upset with the poor managment of Midcontinent and am ready to switch back to Dish Network. Was the satellite from PSB expensive? How is the clarity compared to cable?

The quality of the feed from satellite is much better than cable, as close as you can get to HD quality without actually being HD. I see the current cost for systems is $190 for a traxis fixed system or $254 for a traxis motorized system, shipped.

• Downvote 1

The quality of the feed from satellite is much better than cable, as close as you can get to HD quality without actually being HD. I see the current cost for systems is $190 for a traxis fixed system or $254 for a traxis motorized system, shipped.

What about installation? Is it fairly easy? Can it be mounted right next to my Dish Network dish?

What about installation? Is it fairly easy? Can it be mounted right next to my Dish Network dish?

Not that hard, picking a location to mount it and getting the coax cable into the house are the hardest part. Pointing is fairly easy, especially with Pete's help on the visionplus forums.

Yes, mine is wall mounted next to my two dishnetwork dishes (one for HD, one for SD). The size of the dish needed for KU band is only slightly larger than the dishnetwork dish. You need an unobstructed view of the southern sky. Mounting on a pole mount in the ground on the south side of your house is the best option, but, if not possible, both wall and roof mounts will work.

dish.JPG

My dish is a hotdish90 (90cm), but the winegard 80cm in the system packages will work just as well.

As for whether you can hook up dish and the KUband system at the same time, yes, depending on your TV inputs. My KU band is connected by svideo and composite audio, while my dishnetwork receiver uses hdmi cable. If you hook both up via coax cable on an old CRT, then, you'd need to unhook one and hook up the other, or use a switch in your line in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry for all the "dumb" questions......I just want to make sure i get this right if I decide to go this route.

from the www.psbsatellite.com website, is the item labeled "Motorized Traxis System $254" all i would need?

To me it looks like a "bundle" package

Sorry for all the "dumb" questions......I just want to make sure i get this right if I decide to go this route.

from the www.psbsatellite.com website, is the item labeled "Motorized Traxis System $254" all i would need?

To me it looks like a "bundle" package

Yes, that would be everything except the rg6 coax cable (would guess you could ask Pete to make up some cable for you if you know the length you need from motor to receiver). Includes dish, lnb, motor, and receiver. You'd also need at least one shorter piece of cable (lnb to motor), and potentially one more piece (receiver to TV, unless you hook up via svideo, and left/right audio).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, that would be everything except the rg6 coax cable (would guess you could ask Pete to make up some cable for you if you know the length you need from motor to receiver). Includes dish, lnb, motor, and receiver. You'd also need at least one shorter piece of cable (lnb to motor), and potentially one more piece (receiver to TV, unless you hook up via svideo, and left/right audio).

Perfect!!!!! thanks for the info....VERY HELPFUL!!! And, I can get my cable...100 feet for under $20 if the price hasn't changed.

Perfect!!!!! thanks for the info....VERY HELPFUL!!! And, I can get my cable...100 feet for under $20 if the price hasn't changed.

Make sure your cable lengths have compression ends, rather than the older type crimped or screw-on ends.

• Downvote 1

I'm also debating on getting something like this.....any installers in NW MN? or is it easy to put up? Can this and Dish Network be hooked up at the same time?

I, too, am interested in installers in NW MN. Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Don't know about installer in NW MN, but, just remembered, WDAZ had a one year contract with FSSN for last season, so, once again, we'll have to wait and see if WDAZ, or someone else, will do the FSSN telecasts.

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Fingers and toes crossed that the Sioux will once again be on satellite this coming season and beyond!

Here is a free offer from King Dome the guys that make Rain Shield for anyone with any kind of satellite dish.

E-mail.........

sam.shuster@kingcontrols.com

With your shipping address and they will send you a free sample of Rain Shield............ keep it until the LAST warm day of the year apply to your dish and sit back knowing Rain and Snow on your dish will be the least of your problems all season!

They usually charge $10 for this sample pack, Sioux fans with satellite should NOT miss out ; )

When does the contract for FSSN usually get completed?

Any ideas when we will know?

Should we all call WDAZ and tell them to sign up again.. and get set up with some HD for us too! :D

When does the contract for FSSN usually get completed?

Any ideas when we will know?

Should we all call WDAZ and tell them to sign up again.. and get set up with some HD for us too! :D

Someone emailed P Sweeney last year about this time and he replied that they were working on it. I think the one year extension was announced in late June or early July.

• Downvote 1

• 3 months later...

Time to start worrying about this again. I missed last season on satellite because I couldn't find anyone in the damned U.P. to aim my dish. My several manual attempts were futile. I have someone in town for the next week that might be able to help - but where are we aiming this year? Any input is appreciated.

Time to start worrying about this again. I missed last season on satellite because I couldn't find anyone in the damned U.P. to aim my dish. My several manual attempts were futile. I have someone in town for the next week that might be able to help - but where are we aiming this year? Any input is appreciated.

Neither the new coordinates, nor the new deal with WDAZ, have been announced yet. The best you can do is point at last year's satellite 91W. Do you have a motor, or fixed? What components? If fixed, you can aim it, make sure mast is plump, set dish elevation on bracket (adjust up or down until you find signal), then find a satellite, scan, if it's not the right one, rotate in the right direction, and rescan; once found, fine tune. If you don't at least have a simple squealer, you'll need a TV and maybe your receiver outside by your dish to find the proper elevation. If you have a motor, the process is slightly different.

For those buying new systems, the new easy find system looks great for those doing their own installation.

http://www.psbsatellite.com/

http://www.easysignalfinder.com/index.html

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Ok, so I am having some fun now! Not.

My system worked fine fine last year ...so I go in and try to create a channel at Galaxy 11 at 91 W. Is this also Galaxy 17? Because I am having difficulty finding the frequency 12024 V , any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

The transponder is not currently powered, you won't see signal until it is. The "name" is not important as long as you're pointed at 91W (which is now named G17).

They may have a "testing" time like last year. If we don't see that posted, we'll have to scan for the tp just before the first televised game. I entered the tp into my 91W transponder list, so I can just do a tp scan when it's powered.

• Downvote 1

Ok, so I am having some fun now! Not.

My system worked fine fine last year ...so I go in and try to create a channel at Galaxy 11 at 91 W. Is this also Galaxy 17? Because I am having difficulty finding the frequency 12024 V , any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

yes G11 and G17 is the same satellite slot. They just put a new satellite there

as noted, it wont show up until the 1st game since its not a 24/7 channel

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2