SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

I think the new CBA hurt initially but now it's gonna start to even things out, obviously the top players will go...Toews, Osh the guys who step onto the roster right away like you're saying goon and now that a high pick like Chorney had to dwell in the minors and provide some insight I think most things will turn back to normal as far as early departures. That guy for Mankato though what a mistake he made leaving early.

Backes? He's doing just fine. In fact, I thought he was good in Mankato but I never thought he'd turn into the kind of a pro Backes developed into.

As for Bruess, well... I think he'll show up somewhere. Most likely overseas.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backes? He's doing just fine. In fact, I thought he was good in Mankato but I never thought he'd turn into the kind of a pro Backes developed into.

As for Bruess, well... I think he'll show up somewhere. Most likely overseas.

Bruess is who I was talking about and I agree with Backes I thought he looked good when I was watching the Blues this year.

Bruess is who I was talking about and I agree with Backes I thought he looked good when I was watching the Blues this year.

I heard on XM204 that David Backes was suspended for a hit in the World Championships.

There's an interview with Derrick LaPoint on his recovery here if anyone hasn't seen it yet:

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=3734652

Good to see him out walking around campus. :D

His loss was huge last year - he was playing important minutes before he got hurt. His injury eleveted other up the depth chart and it showed during playoff time.

Has it been announced who else is playing in the Notre Dame Holiday tournament?

Niagara and Colgate, ND and UND. Decent tourney I suppose it will be the two lesser teams facing off against UND and ND in the first round.

Niagara and Colgate, ND and UND. Decent tourney I suppose it will be the two lesser teams facing off against UND and ND in the first round.

Unless UND pulls a suck, there's no way ND and UND don't meet in the second round.

Seriously... Niagara and Colgate?

Why not just cut the crap and bring in Bentley and Quinnipiac?

Neither here nor there but....

Go over to INCH and look over the Top 20 Forwards and Defensemen and Top 10 Goaltenders.

It's interesting to see what everyone did.

For example, they were pretty darn accurate when it came to UND in the goaltending list. IMO, Eidsness was the second best Freshman goaltender in DI behind Milan of BU, who was UNLISTED!

When it comes to INCH's ratings, I think after the season is when it becomes interesting reading material. Especially when it comes to predictions that either were way off or didn't come to fruition for other reasons (such as lack of playing time for much of the goaltenders listed).

Since I'm bored, I'll post stats of the top 10 Forwards for your viewing pleasure:

#1 -- Jordan Shroeder (UMN) 13-32-45

#2 -- Joe Colborne (DU) 10-21-31

#3 -- Zac Dalpe (tOSU) 13-12-25

#4 -- Corey Trivino (BU) 6-7-13

#5 -- Jason Gregoire (UND) 12-17-29

#6 -- Daultan Leveille (MSU) 9-8-17

#7 -- Robbie Czarnik (UM) 5-11-16 (though he wasn't really a scorer with the NTDP.. actually, his stats were pretty comparable)

#8 -- Jack Connolly (UMD) 10-19-29

#9 -- Paul Carey (BC) 5-4-9

#10 -- Barry Almeida (BC) 7-11-18

So, going from stats alone, I'd reorder it like this:

#1 -- Schroeder

#2 -- Colborne

#3 -- Gregoire

#4 -- Connolly

#5 -- Dalpe

#6 -- Almeida

#7 -- Leveille

#8 -- Czarnik

#9 -- Trivino

#10 -- Carey

There may be some in #11-20 who out statistically played some in the top 10.

CRAP!

I think we should have a retro tourney. Bring in Brown and Wayne State (back from the dead).

Then we can have the Subway Classic (aka, the biggest joke of a tourney before they canned it).

I have to admit that tourney was a good excuse to drink beer. :D

Defensemen

When it comes to INCH's ratings, I think after the season is when it becomes interesting reading material. Especially when it comes to predictions that either were way off or didn't come to fruition for other reasons (such as lack of playing time for much of the goaltenders listed).

Ouch, Ness as the #1 incoming dman. If they re-did that list after the season, would Ness even be in the top 20?

I don't think we can take INCH very seriously.

No, but it is interesting to see where everyone ends up in comparison to INCH's ratings.

The unfortunate thing to all of this is that there is no other site that posts a comparable rating at any point. For example, draft rankings are done by many many organizations (CSS, ISS, Redleaf, whatnot). INCH is the only site I know of that rates NCAA incoming players and classes.

If USCHO did it, I wonder what theirs would look like in comparison to INCH's?

Unless UND pulls a suck, there's no way ND and UND don't meet in the second round.

Seriously... Niagara and Colgate?

Why not just cut the crap and bring in Bentley and Quinnipiac?

I think I heard the same thing about Michigan State and Michigan Tech in the Great Lakes Invitational last year. The Sioux didn't win a tourney game all year if I'm not mistaken.

I think I heard the same thing about Michigan State and Michigan Tech in the Great Lakes Invitational last year. The Sioux didn't win a tourney game all year if I'm not mistaken.

Hmmm, a point but put it this way:

Coming into this season, who here thought the Spartans would suck as badly as they did? Anyone? Anyone at all?

What has Niagara and Colgate EVER done? Have they even won NCAA games? Colgate might have....

No question I was disappointed by the Sioux in the GLI, but on paper, MTU is a team we should have beat. The Spartans are capable of beating anyone... they beat us the last time we faced them before the GLI.

MTU was hard to swallow but I lived with the MSU loss.

Colgate will be ok, but all you'd get if they beat you is fresh breath and clean teeth (ha ha! A toothpaste joke!)

We'll shelack Niagara.... unless their goaltender gets "hot" and they play the Cornell "Trap and lock them until their fans commit suicide from boredom" method.

Hmmm, a point but put it this way:

Coming into this season, who here thought the Spartans would suck as badly as they did? Anyone? Anyone at all?

What has Niagara and Colgate EVER done? Have they even won NCAA games? Colgate might have....

No question I was disappointed by the Sioux in the GLI, but on paper, MTU is a team we should have beat. The Spartans are capable of beating anyone... they beat us the last time we faced them before the GLI.

MTU was hard to swallow but I lived with the MSU loss.

Colgate will be ok, but all you'd get if they beat you is fresh breath and clean teeth (ha ha! A toothpaste joke!)

We'll shelack Niagara.... unless their goaltender gets "hot" and they play the Cornell "Trap and lock them until their fans commit suicide from boredom" method.

In the whole grand scheme of things were under 5 months till the season begins again. Also, ducktober is right around the corner as well.

The Spartans are capable of beating anyone... they beat us the last time we faced them before the GLI.

The Spartans can beat anyone, you are right. However, I distinctly recall a curb stomping we gave them at the Ralph to kickoff the 2007-08 season as the previous meeting before the GLI. :D