SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Hockey 09/10

brianvf

Everyone wants Steve Johnson. I like the guy too. He did wonders in Lincoln. However, something some of you seem to ignore: UND requires their Hockey Head Coach to hold a MASTERS DEGREE. Steve Johnson, at the time the hiring was going on, HADN'T EVEN BEGUN to get one.

So he WASN'T QUALIFIED! This stuff ain't Holiday Inn Express, folks. So, who are you going to blame in this? O'Keefe? Blais? UND? Ok, maybe you could argue that UND shouldn't have such stringent hiring practices....oh wait... all that crap about expectations and tradition... guess not.

The blame for not qualifying rests SOLELY upon the shoulders of Steve Johnson. Now, I hear he's started taking Masters coursework. I don't know how or where I heard this, but...

Others wanted a National Search. Why? So Hakstol could be hired over a bunch of national candidates? Would that have made people feel better? The time to run a proper national search would have certainly affected recruiting schedules and perhaps the decisions of recruits that haven't signed LOIs.... All for what?

All this pining for someone else is retarded. And it makes us hypocritical. Like Jim Dahl said, Woog got fired for supposedly similar reasons. Oh well... Hakstol has yet to finish the year under 500. He's yet to fail to make the NCAAs, IIRC.

I could throw out analogy after analogy, some are pretty far fetched, but apt. So many great coaches weren't given a fair shake in one or another head coaching job (Bellicheck in Cleveland, Gwozdecky in ND (IIRC), Lucia (he wasn't fired I don't think, but we can put his time at CC in this category), Julien in NJ, and countless others)

When Minnesota finally dumped Woog, I seem to recall it got them two National Championships very soon after. Or maybe my history is a little fuzzy there.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hak is great coach and solid recruiter, we just havent one it yet with him. College hockey is alot tougher to win it all now, the teams are so much more even across the board now days, ie) notre dame losing to BSU, Michigan losing to AF. Three number one teams are done in the tourney in the first games, when have we EVER seen that!

Getting rid of Hakstol and our coaches will only hurt the program, not help it. I really wish we'd stop staying coulda, shoulda, woulda, with different coaches than hakstol. When we do that, we act like Kentucky fans in basketball. I'm not staying change isn't good, or a new approach could be had with our PP, PK, and offensive/defensive setups. Next year, IMO we'll be better than this year, probably not 1st in the WCHA, but we'll make more damage in the tourney. With a solid class coming in, with Kristo and Cichy hurting opponents on the offensive end and MacWilliam's blocking shots with his face, we'll do just fine. Why throw Hakstol and company under the bus when OUR team lost the game?

No fans are worse than Kentucky basketball fans

I was hoping for a bit more optimism for next year in this thread then resentment towards what just happened. Am I pissed absolutly but it took a miracle for UNH to win that game and thats what they got. As for next year we have an awesome class coming in and I am excited for them to get here more then I was for this years class and the class before that. We'll have a goalie with some experience, hopefully Chay and Marto playing on the first powerplay unit should be exciting. Vande is gone, if anyone didn't think he was ready to move on then the UNH game should've convince them he was a man amonst boys out there. Keep your heads up and stay excited about next year, we'll be fine we always are.

I too would say that i am excited for next years team, but with some reservations as well...In my opinion next season is the start of a new era of sioux hockey, with all the seniors we had this year, the past 6 or 7 years will stand linked together by the stars from parise to the DOT line...Next year the team needs to establish an identity as quickly as possible. I am concerned with the defense mostly, but optimistic. I think Blood is going to develop quickly into a steady shutdown guy, and I see him playing babysitter to Genoway next year. Marto will be better again next year, and will likely play with LaPoint if he is healthy, otherwise probably one of the freshies....likely MacWilliam, that would leave Gleason and Fienaghe. LaPoint is going to be a big factor in the defensive stability depending on if he can play next year or not...might need to bring in a walk-on defenseman for depth.

The scoring is going to be there, I don't see that being a problem with guys like Gregoire, Hextall, Malone, Frattin, Trupp, and Toews leading the offense with help from the freshman firepower (that's assuming Vandy is gone). The goaltending should only get better with Dell coming in and hopefully picking up the slack from any slump Eidsness suffers....

Should be a good team next year, could contend for another league title if the defense matures quickly and leaders and a team identity can be established early on.

Hak is great coach and solid recruiter, we just havent one it yet with him. College hockey is alot tougher to win it all now, the teams are so much more even across the board now days, ie) notre dame losing to BSU, Michigan losing to AF. Three number one teams are done in the tourney in the first games, when have we EVER seen that!

Getting rid of Hakstol and our coaches will only hurt the program, not help it. I really wish we'd stop staying coulda, shoulda, woulda, with different coaches than hakstol. When we do that, we act like Kentucky fans in basketball. I'm not staying change isn't good, or a new approach could be had with our PP, PK, and offensive/defensive setups. Next year, IMO we'll be better than this year, probably not 1st in the WCHA, but we'll make more damage in the tourney. With a solid class coming in, with Kristo and Cichy hurting opponents on the offensive end and MacWilliam's blocking shots with his face, we'll do just fine. Why throw Hakstol and company under the bus when OUR team lost the game?

Well put. We've made the Tournament all five years that he's coached, including 4 Frozen Fours; it takes some good breaks, not just talent and coaching, to win it all. I believe we'll be right back in the mix next season. I think having a seasoned goaltender from the gitgo will make a big difference and, combined with the incoming talent, we'll be as strong, if not stronger, next season. Hak and the team more than deserve our support.

I think Marto and LaPoint will really head up the d-corps next season. Both of them really took a step forward this year, and I expect them to do it again next season.

Genoway will be Genoway. Leading the rush up the ice and providing great offensive chances from the blueline. Yes, the opponent will get chances off his pressing occasionally, but IMO his defensive blunders are more than made up for by his offensive prowess. Next year he will be better at identifying the right times to pinch... :lol:

Blood showed great improvement when he was required to fill in for LaPoint. Finehage, MacWilliam, and Gleason will battle for the remaining 2 open spots.

While our d-corps will be younger this upcoming year, they will be good at moving the puck...Marto, Genoway, and Gleason are all very skilled skaters. If they can make a breakout pass to our skilled forwards, we'll be just fine. :)

Blood showed great improvement when he was required to fill in for LaPoint. Finehage, MacWilliam, and Gleason will battle for the remaining 2 open spots.

While our d-corps will be younger this upcoming year, they will be good at moving the puck...Marto, Genoway, and Gleason are all very skilled skaters. If they can make a breakout pass to our skilled forwards, we'll be just fine. :lol:

Good points and I don't think there is reason to panic just yet. UND is going to be pretty good I think in all phases of the game.

Probably more talented as well.

I think Marto and LaPoint will really head up the d-corps next season. Both of them really took a step forward this year, and I expect them to do it again next season.

Genoway will be Genoway. Leading the rush up the ice and providing great offensive chances from the blueline. Yes, the opponent will get chances off his pressing occasionally, but IMO his defensive blunders are more than made up for by his offensive prowess. Next year he will be better at identifying the right times to pinch... :lol:

While our d-corps will be younger this upcoming year, they will be good at moving the puck...Marto, Genoway, and Gleason are all very skilled skaters. If they can make a breakout pass to our skilled forwards, we'll be just fine. :)

I think next year will be a more skilled team, but they do lose a lot of leadership which is tough to replace overnight. If they can get some guys early on that can step up into those leadership roles that this years seniors provided, we should have a good chance at defending the Macnaughton. Another thing is, at least from the looks of it now, is that the conference will be weak again.

I think next year will be a more skilled team, but they do lose a lot of leadership which is tough to replace overnight. If they can get some guys early on that can step up into those leadership roles that this years seniors provided, we should have a good chance at defending the Macnaughton. Another thing is, at least from the looks of it now, is that the conference will be weak again.

I'm not sure a lot of leaders is a good thing. I'm not saying this year's team struggled with that, but 2-3 guys are plenty to carry the "leadership role" on a team. Genoway seems like a natural leader especially as the perennial iron man winner since Porter left. If VV is still here he'll have leadership responsibilty as well. Next year's Junior class will also see an added role in this department.

How the guys fit into their new roles is up to them, but I think we'll be ok.

I think next year will be a more skilled team, but they do lose a lot of leadership which is tough to replace overnight.

Another thing is, at least from the looks of it now, is that the conference will be weak again.

Agreed.

Agreed.

And agreed.

:lol:

I think UMD if they keep their goalie and skilled forwards will be tough, I think Wisconsin will be good with all of the talent they have on that team. UND same... Who knows about DU and Minnesota so I don't know if I would say we are going to be down. I think BU will definately not be as tough as they are this season they will probably lose Wilson and Gillroy is a senior. JVR will probably sign with the Flyers as well.

If we've learned anything from last weekend, it's that none of the analysis matters. The only thing that matters is to get into the NCAA tournament and take your shot ... and pray the bounces go your way. Seeds don't even matter. Just get there and win your games.

So I guess you have to win enough to get there.

I think UMD if they keep their goalie and skilled forwards will be tough, I think Wisconsin will be good with all of the talent they have on that team. UND same... Who knows about DU and Minnesota so I don't know if I would say we are going to be down.

I think a lot of teams will struggle in the early season next year.

Breakdown of next year's teams (since I am bored).

MTU - Graduate 10 seniors. Keep their top 4 scorers though.

UAA - Lost top scorer Crowder to the pros. Otherwise keep the rest of their top 5 scorers.

MSUM - Might struggle. Lose Berge, their top scorer, and Bruess, plus they graduate both of their goalies. Next season they won't have a goalie that's played any WCHA minutes.

UMD - Lose 7 seniors, including their best forward (Sharp) and their best dman (Meyers). Will their postseason run give them confidence for next year?

SCSU - Might be decent offensively if Roe & Lasch stick around. Still need work defensively, especially with the rumors that Weslosky is leaving.

UMN - Stoa gone, possibly Schroeder. Rumors going around about Hoeffel and Flynn. Otherwise, they only lost 2 seniors, so if the majority of players come back, they should be strong.

CC - Could see them really struggling. Bachman, Rau, Walsky, Connelly all gone, plus their backup goalie O'Connell graduates. The only goalie left on roster saw 29min of playing time this year. Rumors that Sweatt will sign as well, which would be their top 4 point getters from this year all gone.

UW - Hard to say until all their early departures are certain. McBain gone and Connelly graduates. Geoffrion, Mitchell, Davies, and McDonagh all flight risks.

DU - Bozak good as gone, plus flight risks in Rakhshani, Wiercioch, and Ruegsegger.

I could see a couple of the top 5 teams from this year moving down, and vice versa. :lol:

If we've learned anything from last weekend, it's that none of the analysis matters. The only thing that matters is to get into the NCAA tournament and take your shot ... and pray the bounces go your way. Seeds don't even matter. Just get there and win your games.

So I guess you have to win enough to get there.

Great, I do all that and then you say that. :lol:

Agreed though.

Just look at all the 3 and 4 seeds in the F4. Crazy.

I am looking forward to seeing the progression of Marto, Gregoire and Frattin.

Frattin impressed me this year with how he handled it when the pucks weren't going in for him. He scored a ton of goals in the middle of the season, and when he got a little snake bitten as the season progressed, he didn't press, but garnered a lot of helpers. His skating is sick, and he his speed and presence opened up the ice for others. He was a big time scorer in junior, and I expect him to push 20 goals next year.

Gregoire is very talented and should become a two way leader on the squad this next year. I look to him to pick up a lot of Duncan's large skates. I think that either Kristo or Cichy will skate with him, and they will put up big numbers as a unit.

Marto really came into his own on both sides of the ice this year. Like Frattin, the kid skates like Coffey. I look forward to seeing a lot of production his way and an even more solid presence in our own end as he gets stronger.

No one seems to be able to tell me what new recruits are natural centerman. While any center can play wing, the responsibilities of the pivot in the defensive zone are tough to adapt to in the WCHA.

If Kristo is as fast as people say, I like him with Frattin. I don't know who plays between them...

Gregoire and Cichy and Malone

Frattin and Kristo and Trupp

Zajac centering Hextall and Bruneteau

Toews and Lammy and Forney

Davidson

I still think Chay signs, but if not:

Genoway and Blood

Marto and Lapoint

Finehage and McWilliam

Gleason

I think a lot of teams will struggle in the early season next year.

Breakdown of next year's teams (since I am bored).

MTU - Graduate 10 seniors. Keep their top 4 scorers though.

UAA - Lost top scorer Crowder to the pros. Otherwise keep the rest of their top 5 scorers.

MSUM - Might struggle. Lose Berge, their top scorer, and Bruess, plus they graduate both of their goalies. Next season they won't have a goalie that's played any WCHA minutes.

UMD - Lose 7 seniors, including their best forward (Sharp) and their best dman (Meyers). Will their postseason run give them confidence for next year?

SCSU - Might be decent offensively if Roe & Lasch stick around. Still need work defensively, especially with the rumors that Weslosky is leaving.

UMN - Stoa gone, possibly Schroeder. Rumors going around about Hoeffel and Flynn. Otherwise, they only lost 2 seniors, so if the majority of players come back, they should be strong.

CC - Could see them really struggling. Bachman, Rau, Walsky, Connelly all gone, plus their backup goalie O'Connell graduates. The only goalie left on roster saw 29min of playing time this year. Rumors that Sweatt will sign as well, which would be their top 4 point getters from this year all gone.

UW - Hard to say until all their early departures are certain. McBain gone and Connelly graduates. Geoffrion, Mitchell, Davies, and McDonagh all flight risks.

DU - Bozak good as gone, plus flight risks in Rakhshani, Wiercioch, and Ruegsegger.

I could see a couple of the top 5 teams from this year moving down, and vice versa. :lol:

I think that the WCHA isn't the only league that is going to experience early defections and graduations.

Look at Boston University they 6 Seniors probably definately lose Wilson to the Predators.

I was not aware that MTU had 10 seniors. Yikes.

I think the key is the sophs Marto, Pointer, Malone, Trupp, Frattin. I think these guys are ready to break out.

With you 100%. Throw in Gregoire with a year of experience and Zajac and Hextall's tenacity...

As I've said before, I think we'll score goals, the question is can Blood, Finehage, and McWilliamclear the front of the net and give some punishment a t this level, while not being liabilities?