SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NCAA HOCKEY TOURNEY

AZSIOUX

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To further elaborate on Sterling's post, it's not like the Gophers are the ONLY pereniall contender not to make the tournament this year. BC and Wisconsin also missed out, and for those with short memories the Sioux didn't make the tournament in 2001-02. It happens to even the best programs. Some of us might even be old enough to remember the drought we suffered through in between the 1987 and 1997 national championship seasons. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we missed the tournament 8 out of 9 years from 1988 through 1996. Only 16 teams can make the tournament and there are going to be good teams left out each and every year.

thats true but my point was they are a host and missed out which flat out has to burn as a fan and player or coach. home ice for 2 possible games onto DC. they tanked in the 2nd half and got what they deserved. um had the 2nd longest streak i believe and thats done. uw missed the tourney the year after they won it all a few years back. BC missed out for the first time in a while as well this year. usually you can shoe in 6-9 teams for the most part and then a few more will round out the field. this year is one of those years

Every Gopher fan I talked to Saturday night, but two, firmly believed that they were in the NCAA. Not a doubt in their minds, and most quoted the PWR. This morning had to be a shock of reality to them. 7,000 Gopher fans with regional tickets and no team to cheer for. The two that did not believe also said that the Gophers didn't deserve to be in.

what a embarassment they are gona be sitting home in their own regional. its pretty damn hard not to make this tourney being a top tier program. donnyboy has some work to do. his 2nd and 3rd tier minny boys dont have what it takes to get it done. have fun golfing gophers!! donnyboy will be a hell of a host though for those 4 teams!

props to sagard for being pretty much the only gopher fan to still be posting when his team sure kciked the bucket this season. props to sagard for not hiding

I heard they are looking for ushers, maybe the goofs could do that...o, wait, the sioux aren't there the place will be empty. :lol:

Getting sent to the NE region only reiterates how badly the boys screwed up this weekend. 1 win and we'd be playing in some other region. It is what it is though...one game at a time now and it starts with UNH.

using this site and info from inch

tourney field and past tourney fields

just looking at NCAA champions from the last 6 years and seeing what seeds they were entering the tourney as the new 16 team format with no byes started in 2002-2003 season - doesnt have anything to do with this years field but interesting to look at

2008 - BOSTON COLLEGE = 2 SEED

2007 - MICHIGAN STATE = 3 SEED

2006 - WISCONSIN = 1 SEED

2005 - DENVER = 1 SEED

2004 - DENVER = 2 SEED

2003 - MINNESOTA = 1 SEED

So we're a lock!

Shocking that ESPN will not be shipping the regionals off to the Fox Sports Nets this year; all games on ESPN2 and ESPNU. Wonder if they'll take a HD truck to the BU region? So much for the usefulness of the multi-sports pak from Dish

No doubt it's disappointing to have this happen in a year in which they host a regional, and based on their 2nd half collapse I agree that they deserved to be left out of the tournament. However, I think that being selected and then losing badly in the opening game potentially could have been even more humiliating than not even getting in.

Absolutely the way I feel as well. Part of me thought "hey maybe getting into the Regional will put some kind of spark into the team," but I don't think it would have mattered. They Gophers dug their own grave this season. Hopefully UMD can do some damage in the tourney, it's basically a home game for them as well with all the fans and alumni they have living in the cities, they are certainly playing some inspired hockey right now. Too think 2 weeks ago they got swept in a very important series with home ice on the line and now after what they did this past weekend is pretty impressive.

BU is a beatable team. Don't get me wrong, they are a very good team but like all teams they have their issues.

1) BU tends to play down to their competition. They have only played one top ten team since February and that series ended with both games in a tie.

2) To have any chance of beating BU, the opposing team must score on their power play.

3) However, you can

BU is a beatable team. Don't get me wrong, they are a very good team but like all teams they have their issues.

1) BU tends to play down to their competition. They have only played one top ten team since February and that series ended with both games in a tie.

2) To have any chance of beating BU, the opposing team must score on their power play.

3) However, you can

I wouldn't be so tough on Mn for not getting in. They played the best team in the tounament tougher than anyone else. We played the worst hockey of any team in St.Paul. I for one hope they can turn things around but I will be shocked if we have a good showing on Sat.

True...Goofs should have won that game, but missed empty nets consistently. That being said man we got the toughest draw out there. We sucked this weekend and therefore we are in the toughest region in the tourney.

I totally agree. BU struggled against UMass-Lowell. From what I saw, they are certainly beatable. Ohio State is a young team and has beaten some teams that they maybe shouldn't have. (In other words, they may just be young enough not to know any better.) :lol:

Funny thing is that Lowell scored a goal and got jobbed like Melrose said.

Funny thing is that Lowell scored a goal and got jobbed like Melrose said.

The refs never signaled a goal on the ice. Upon review they saw the net come up and down on its mooring which in the rule book is the same as the net coming off it's moorings before the puck goes in and therefore play is dead and no goal. League commish stands by it and he hates BU.

It also happened in the second period so people up in arms that it cost Lowell the game have to consider that they had 8 pp opportunities to tie and take the lead including a 5 x 3, and bs penalty in the last minutes of the game that gave them a 6 x 4 advantage for the remainder. BU had one full pp advantage the whole night and that came in the first period, if the refs felt like they had made a mistake then they did everything in their power to hand Lowell the game and a good hockey team will take advantage of that. Even the levelheaded Lowell fans agreed to that.

BU's big worry should be injuries, maybe not as big as Denver but still. Their only real defensive dman is playing but still in pain. Higgins is playing with a broken bone in his wrist. Pereira is still in the hospital after getting impaled on a broken stick and is out for the season with internal bleeding and a ruptured spleen. Glass who would replace him has a concussion, so that means Gilroy part deux is gonna have to step it up.

Normally I would say it doesn't bode well for the Sioux that they've just played 3 games in three days while UHN has had 2 weeks off, but this is the Mildcats in the first round we're talking about so it's a moot point. If Foster can come up huge for the Kittys then they came make this a game, but if Eidsness can match or out deul him it's no contest 'cause the Wildcats cannot scores goals. I also think Umile should just decline any PP's, that's their key to the game. Oh, and watch out for JVR on the SH.

The refs never signaled a goal on the ice. Upon review they saw the net come up and down on its mooring which in the rule book is the same as the net coming off it's moorings before the puck goes in and therefore play is dead and no goal. League commish stands by it and he hates BU.

It also happened in the second period so people up in arms that it cost Lowell the game have to consider that they had 8 pp opportunities to tie and take the lead including a 5 x 3, and bs penalty in the last minutes of the game that gave them a 6 x 4 advantage for the remainder. BU had one full pp advantage the whole night and that came in the first period, if the refs felt like they had made a mistake then they did everything in their power to hand Lowell the game and a good hockey team will take advantage of that. Even the levelheaded Lowell fans agreed to that.

BU's big worry should be injuries, maybe not as big as Denver but still. Their only real defensive dman is playing but still in pain. Higgins is playing with a broken bone in his wrist. Pereira is still in the hospital after getting impaled on a broken stick and is out for the season with internal bleeding and a ruptured spleen. Glass who would replace him has a concussion, so that means Gilroy part deux is gonna have to step it up.

Normally I would say it doesn't bode well for the Sioux that they've just played 3 games in three days while UHN has had 2 weeks off, but this is the Mildcats in the first round we're talking about so it's a moot point. If Foster can come up huge for the Kittys then they came make this a game, but if Eidsness can match or out deul him it's no contest 'cause the Wildcats cannot scores goals. I also think Umile should just decline any PP's, that's their key to the game. Oh, and watch out for JVR on the SH.

the Sioux actually only played two games in two days, although it seemed like three with as bad as they played. maybe both teams at this point should decline to the pp's and just play 5 on 5. it would probably make for better hockey. :lol:

the Sioux actually only played two games in two days, although it seemed like three with as bad as they played. maybe both teams at this point should decline to the pp's and just play 5 on 5. it would probably make for better hockey. :lol:

Oops, yeah, I was thinking of the Dogs. My bad. I'm trying to find some video evidence of UNH but I've come to realize that BU is the only team in this regional that puts out free highlight packages. So if both BU and UND advance, Sioux fans can check out those videos of their home games to see what they've been up to since the first game of the season. There are more videos on youtube in HQ if you look for the poster Olo97.

UNH has some NESN highlights, I'll put those in the other thread.

Personally I would like to see tUMD get to the FF4; love Stalock, reminds me of Brodeur.

You forgot to add that Wilson has been hiding a serious hand injury for most of the season and I suspect it is just as bad as the one that Oshie played with last year. I sat right behind the US bench for one of the WJC games and the trainers were constantly working on it. It is clear that it is also affecting his shot.

You forgot to add that Wilson has been hiding a serious hand injury for most of the season and I suspect it is just as bad as the one that Oshie played with last year. I sat right behind the US bench for one of the WJC games and the trainers were constantly working on it. It is clear that it is also affecting his shot.

just goes to show that all teams have some injury issues att his time of the year. hopefully watty will be back.