SiouxSports.com Forum

2009 NCAA HOCKEY TOURNEY

AZSIOUX

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll we got what we deserved. The one place that we didn't want to be in is heading to the Northeast...but the inconsistent and lack their of play this weekend, the sioux have a huge uphill climb, and certainly alot of questions going into this weekend's games. The sioux, with just one win this weekend, would have at least ended up in the midwest or west....but WOW, they got smoked and it is what it is...

Now on the positive note, they were able to go to Boston a few years back (4 i believe) and beat BU and BC to advance, but that was a team that was playing some great hockey, and had just come off winning the WCHA. Not sure what Hakstol has in mind for his team's preperation, but hopefully they have partied out celebrating their McNaughton Cup...as that accomplishment was somewhat eclipsed by their horrible game plan this past weekend.

Let's pray for an asswhipping practice Monday, and a focused sioux hockey team.

If the team can leave it all on the ice for 240 minutes over the next three weeks they have as good a chance as anyone. I don't think anyone in this tournament has more NCAA playoff experience than the UND lineup and that has to count for something.

Against UNH hit Rip VanWinkle early and often and he will disappear. Based on what I saw of him at the WJC he is skilled but he is also soft and if he had been born in MN he would have been your prototypical Gohper. As he goes so goes UNH.

BU's Wilson worries me more and the D will have to be aware of his location at all times. He is one of the few game changers in NCAA hockey this year and he likely would have won the Hobey outright were it not for a hand injury that is very similar to the one that Oshie had to play through last season. I suspect it will take BE's best game of the season to beat them and in a one game showdown we know they can be beat as demonstrated by lowly Maine last weekend.

GO SIOUX!

Yes, but the majority of Gopher fans (like the ones at the F5 this past weekend) still believed that they would get in somehow.

???

nah :lol: that seemed to be sioux fans who thought the ncaa would tweak the pairwise to get the gophers in ??? as stated by many it wasnt going to happen. if it was the bball tourney process they would have gotten in and then steamrolled 1st round but it wasnt and they are golfing. go sioux and go dogs in the ncaa!!

you wana be the best? well get through this regional and anything can happen. go sioux vs unh and my upset pick is ohio st over bu :lol: bemidji state should have been the 16 playing bu but they had to avoid a interconference with ohio state.

Agreed! I will say that BU had their hands full with UMass-Lowell last night. They won that game by the skin of their teeth. As a matter of fact, UMass-Lowell had a goal that was disallowed that would have tied the game. They showed it on the Selection Show today, and, judging by when the puck went in the net and when the whistle blew, it was a good goal.

Yes, but the majority of Gopher fans (like the ones at the F5 this past weekend) still believed that they would get in somehow.

???

Yeah but there were some here even amongst the most informed that thought they would get in no matter what. :lol:

It sucks not to make it, but I'd hate to see tOSU's chances in a smoky room vs. UM and UW.

Yeah but there were some here even amongst the most informed that thought they would get in no matter what. :lol:

It sucks not to make it, but I'd hate to see tOSU's chances in a smoky room vs. UM and UW.

it was a throw bag of teams for that last spot. any of those teams could go and get wooped by BU

Now that they didn't get in, I sincerely hope that once and for all we can put to rest this silly paranoia complex that some people are convinced the Gophers always have an unfair advantage and the deck stacked in their favor. There is no Gopher conspiracy, never has been, never will be, and the fact that they (deservedly) did not get selected for the tournament this year proves it.

(Off soapbox)...

what a embarassment they are gona be sitting home in their own regional. its pretty damn hard not to make this tourney being a top tier program. donnyboy has some work to do. his 2nd and 3rd tier minny boys dont have what it takes to get it done. have fun golfing gophers!! donnyboy will be a hell of a host though for those 4 teams!

props to sagard for being pretty much the only gopher fan to still be posting when his team sure kciked the bucket this season. props to sagard for not hiding

I wouldn't be so tough on Mn for not getting in. They played the best team in the tounament tougher than anyone else. We played the worst hockey of any team in St.Paul. I for one hope they can turn things around but I will be shocked if we have a good showing on Sat.

I wouldn't be so tough on Mn for not getting in. They played the best team in the tounament tougher than anyone else. We played the worst hockey of any team in St.Paul. I for one hope they can turn things around but I will be shocked if we have a good showing on Sat.

sorry, one weekend doesnt sum up anything for a whole seasons body of work. my point is simple and is probably shared by every gopher fan out there by having a regional in your backyard and missing it is a joke. no fence to these teams but we arent talking about msu or scsu missing a host regional opportunity. the gophers had a long ncaa streak snapped and i think most gophs fans who know hockey know they didnt deserve a spot either.. and yes we were very bad in st paul but thats behind us now....... go sioux!!

Hey Jim, are we going to have a bracket challenge this year? Thanks either way

also lets see some bracket predictions game to game........

ill have mine up later - maybe a sioux vs umd ncaa final ???:lol:

go sioux

NO B.C waiting in the wings, time to whoop some east coast azz!!

my bias picks :lol: no fun otherwise ???

Boston University (1) vs. 4. Ohio State (4)

North Dakota (2) vs. New Hampshire (3)

Michigan (1) vs. 4. Air Force (4)

Yale (2) vs. Vermont (3)

Notre Dame (1) vs. 4. Bemidji State (4)

Northeastern (2) vs. Cornell (3)

Denver (1) vs. 4. Miami (4)

Minnesota Duluth (2) vs. Princeton (3)

Boston University vs North Dakota

Michigan vs Vermont

Notre Dame vs Northeastern

Denver vs Minnesota Duluth

North Dakota vs Michigan

Northeastern vs Minnesota Duluth

North Dakota vs Northeastern

again, i have no clue. i do think notre dame will get knocked off (maybe by my hometown beavers ??? ) and i love how UMD is rolling and should have a rematch vs DU at mariucci. if stalock continues his run umd can get very far. i like the make up of umd as of late. Sharp is on fire as well as stalock. getting bozak back may help du though as hes a big time talent

michigan gets by vermont to advance, i like northeastern overall and thier goaltending. i dont think they are the most talented but as we have seen anything can happen in this tourney.

the sioux will take care of unh then have to take down the best team in the nation. we have to take care of the pp and pk situation

i like bemidji state and air force to scare the hell out of michigan and notre dame and maybe 1 even winning their game in overtime

GO SIOUX

GO BEAVERS

GO BULLDOGS

No matter who's in or not we do have our work cut either way. I will say this though, I would love to see in the championship game be UND vs UND Notre Dame vs North Dakota & the FIGHTING SIOUX take the championship. Hey folks it's just a though.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

using this site and info from inch

tourney field and past tourney fields

just looking at NCAA champions from the last 6 years and seeing what seeds they were entering the tourney as the new 16 team format with no byes started in 2002-2003 season - doesnt have anything to do with this years field but interesting to look at

2008 - BOSTON COLLEGE = 2 SEED

2007 - MICHIGAN STATE = 3 SEED

2006 - WISCONSIN = 1 SEED

2005 - DENVER = 1 SEED

2004 - DENVER = 2 SEED

2003 - MINNESOTA = 1 SEED