MSUM womens hockey

BSU womens hockey

Crushed by this:

BSU mens hockey

UMD mens hockey

SCSU mens hockey

MSUM mens hockey

UMD womens hockey

I saw this last night on wcco.com I think. It is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Of course because of endowments and donations the U of M is uneffected by this bill. But all other schools get hurt by it.

I do not know how they could even bring this up, but then again this is the same state the put Franken in office.

I saw this last night on wcco.com I think. It is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Of course because of endowments and donations the U of M is uneffected by this bill. But all other schools get hurt by it.

I do not know how they could even bring this up, but then again this is the same state the put Franken in office.

This is a back door attempt to punish schools that use Canadian hockey players.

Also, I would imagine that all of these schools have fund raisers and raise their money

for scholarships, I played in the Galen Nagel a few years back at the Bemidji Country Club and that golf

tourney was a fund raiser for hockey scholarships.

I am counting the days until I am out of MN. We are moving mostly because of logistics, but the huge deficit is a motivating factor. This year my savings on property taxes was equal to the hit on state income taxes. Given MN's deficits, I imagine ND will be a cheaper place to live starting next year (at least for me).

What an insanely stupid bill. This is almost as bad as the geniuses in ND who wanted to legislate UND and NDSU playing each other in sports.

What an insanely stupid bill. This is almost as bad as the geniuses in ND who wanted to legislate UND and NDSU playing each other in sports.

I agree. At least the UND/NDSU bill wouldn't crush four D1 hockey programs. There hasn't been a hearing on this and I hope there will never be one.

I mean I already hate Gopher hockey . . . :lol:

My analysis of this?

Unaffected by this:

Gopher mens hockey

Gopher womens hockey

Hurt by this:

SCSU womens hockey

MSUM womens hockey

BSU womens hockey

Crushed by this:

BSU mens hockey

UMD mens hockey

SCSU mens hockey

MSUM mens hockey

UMD womens hockey

I wonder what impact it would have on some of the less popular sports like swimming/diving, gymnastics, etc.? I don't have any numbers, but I would think there is quite an opportunity for foreigners to be participating in these sports.

This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard of.

Why not nationalize the professor ranks and their $$$ salaries if you want to be dip$$$ts. Of course then we'd be further exposed when we couldn't find enough home grown intelligence to teach our babies.

I am counting the days until I am out of MN. We are moving mostly because of logistics, but the huge deficit is a motivating factor. This year my savings on property taxes was equal to the hit on state income taxes. Given MN's deficits, I imagine ND will be a cheaper place to live starting next year (at least for me).

Welcome home Jloos. :glare:

This has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever heard of.

Why not nationalize the professor ranks and their $$$ salaries if you want to be dip$$$ts. Of course then we'd be further exposed when we couldn't find enough home grown intelligence to teach our babies.

Hum, the populace of Minnesota is getting tired of their politicians stupidity?

state funded or not, only great athletes from other countries get scholarships to u.s. colleges. their contribution to their respective sport's teams likely helps their teams do well, which in turn, brings money into the university.

this is only one of many positive results that come about by allowing foreign students to get sport's scholarships. i'm guessing the argument these clowns are presenting is something along the same lines as the arguments some pose about giving jobs to illegal aliens. i have no interest in going into that, but this issue is completely different. foreign athletes are here legally and, if they're worthy of a sports scholarship, they're usually a valuable asset to their respective schools and communities.

this bill is lame and i highly doubt it will pass.

state funded or not, only great athletes from other countries get scholarships to u.s. colleges. their contribution to their respective sport's teams likely helps their teams do well, which in turn, brings money into the university.

this is only one of many positive results that come about by allowing foreign students to get sport's scholarships. i'm guessing the argument these clowns are presenting is something along the same lines as the arguments some pose about giving jobs to illegal aliens. i have no interest in going into that, but this issue is completely different. foreign athletes are here legally and, if they're worthy of a sports scholarship, they're usually a valuable asset to their respective schools and communities.

this bill is lame and i highly doubt it will pass.

Maybe it's time to stir up the masses and get them to start a letter writing campaign. :glare:

Would UMD be impacted? They are not in the MnSCU system. I couldn't tell from the article (or the news story this morning) if they were talking about UMn Twin Cities or the entire UM system.

Read the story:

Two state lawmakers say they want to keep foreign athletes from getting scholarships to play on Minnesota college teams.

In the state legislature would affect all state institutions.

What's insideous about how that's written is bolded below:

Rep. Bob Dettmer, R-Forest Lake, and Sen. Ray Vandeveer, R-Forest Lake, introduced legislation on March 2 that would ban state money from being used directly or indirectly for an athlete who is not a citizen of the United States.

"Indirectly" would mean student (or team) support services, not just direct scholarships.

The word you all are looking for is 'xenophobia'.

I hope they pass this for UMTC only! If this legislation would have been passed seven years ago, there would have been no Vanek, no Potulny's, no Irman, and no back to back NCAA titles! Since they have reverted back to there "MN only" ways (with minor exceptions) they have been far from dominant.

Vanek yes -Potulny and Irmen no. As self centered as those in the Twin Cities are they probably view North Dakota as part of the USA :glare:

Thanks Goon, in the 5 or so years I have lived in MN I never considered myself a Minnesotan. No matter where I live I will always consider myself a North Dakotan.

I still shudder when I think about Al Franken being my senator. What's next Janine Gralafalo (spelled horribly wrong) on the supreme court?

Vanek yes -Potulny and Irmen no. As self centered as those in the Twin Cities are they probably view North Dakota as part of the USA :glare:

Thanks Goon, in the 5 or so years I have lived in MN I never considered myself a Minnesotan. No matter where I live I will always consider myself a North Dakotan.

I still shudder when I think about Al Franken being my senator. What's next Janine Gralafalo (spelled horribly wrong) on the supreme court?

no problem and Jeanie is too busy on 24 right now. I can't believe that Frankin is going to win, I am not a big fan of Al. I was born in IA and I lived in Minnesota till High School, joined the military right after I got my Minnesota education :D saw the world and I have lived in ND since 1993 and this is home to me, I don't know if I want to live anywhere else. The politicians in Minnesota have managed to take a great state and run it into the ground. I don't think I could live there and be happy.

Isn't the kid that Minnesota just recruited from Shattuck from Finland? I am sure the only person agreeing with this is Woog. Maybe they should go a step further and not allow players whose parents were born in another country to be eligible for scholarships either, that way they wouldn't have had to bother trying to recruit players like Parise or Gagne. I wish politicians would do something about the actual problems we have facing us in this country rather than trying to make a name for themselves with idiotic legislation like this. This guy is making a name for himself, but I think he will find it is not the kind of name he would like, although who knows, I thought that Minnesota had learned their lesson with Jesse Ventura-- guess not!

Isn't the kid that Minnesota just recruited from Shattuck from Finland? I am sure the only person agreeing with this is Woog. Maybe they should go a step further and not allow players whose parents were born in another country to be eligible for scholarships either, that way they wouldn't have had to bother trying to recruit players like Parise or Gagne. I wish politicians would do something about the actual problems we have facing us in this country rather than trying to make a name for themselves with idiotic legislation like this. This guy is making a name for himself, but I think he will find it is not the kind of name he would like, although who knows, I thought that Minnesota had learned their lesson with Jesse Ventura-- guess not!

Erik Haula is from Pori, Finland.

And he's got a great scouting report and good size for a winger 6'1 or so.

Something tells me he's going to be good.

And the people who elected the morons who sponsored this bill did not vote for Franken. These guys come Bachman country and are a couple of Republicans.

Fear not fans of common sense, adults run the House and Senate in this state, This bill won't see the light o' day.

And I agree with you this is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard from a politician. Almost as dumb as anything that comes out of the mouth of Michele Bachman. Must be something in the water up there.

My analysis of this?

Unaffected by this:

Gopher mens hockey

Gopher womens hockey

Hurt by this:

SCSU womens hockey

MSUM womens hockey

BSU womens hockey

Crushed by this:

BSU mens hockey

UMD mens hockey

SCSU mens hockey

MSUM mens hockey

UMD womens hockey

Helped by this:

UND mens Hockey

UND Womens Hockey

... and, Jesse Ventura.

Trivia:

Question: What do Jesse Ventura and Al Franken have in common in their election wins?

Answer:

They both beat Norm Coleman (Jesse beat another duphus, too, in a three way election).

Now there's a visual I don't need, Jesse Ventura, Norm Coleman and another guy in a three way. WoW!