SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Final Five Memories

dagies

8) 2005 third place game. Here's a big difference between Sioux hockey and Gopher hockey. Gophers going through the motions, Sioux get off to a bad start but got life on a Spirko shorthander and found a way to win, even with Bina in the hospital. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVzWFE3UmI I am not emotional, but I was really proud of how the team reacted. Prelude to UND winning a "Beanpot" (BC/BU in the NCAA East Regional) the next weekend.

I love that the Sioux player behind Spirko (I think it was Quinn Fylling) raises his stick in celebration a full second or two before Sparky even shoots it!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hoping to have something profound for my 1,000th post but, oh well, this will have to do. These are simply Final Five memories, not necessarily good or bad.

1. The Tyler Hirsch incident.

2. Watching Sioux-cia march around the X with the Gopher band, while wearing her Holy Cross jersey. She received many #1 salutes on that one. :glare:

3. Having a drunk MSU-M fan yelling crap at me for two periods after UND had lost the afternoon game and MSU-M was still in the Final Five (they hadn't played yet) for about the only time in their history. I ignored him, but he accosted me in the concourse between the 2nd and 3rd periods. I finally commented about what a medical miracle it was for someone to still be walking while brain dead. For some reason that got him fired up, but he finally walked away as I was about to call for security.

4. Meeting two great Gopher fans who have sat right in front of us for many years, and who we have met up with at the Frozen Four, even though the Gophers weren't there. Knowledgeable and rabid Gopher fans, but not arrogant or feeling entitled. A rarity for Gopher fans!

5. Having my son win two Final Five packages at UND, and sharing them with Dad!

6. The MTU band.

7. The Robbie Bina incident. :(

8. The sea of Kelly Green

9. "And the Home of the . . . SIOUX!"

It is now time to leave for the FInal Five (yes, on Wednesday afternoon) :D

If I remember correctly, Armbrust just came onto the ice and charged the net. Another Sioux player shot a hard shot on net, and Pete just happened to be in the right place at the right time...the puck bounced right on his stick, allowing him to shoot it into the open part of the net, sending every Sioux fan into an outrage of joy! That's one of the games I don't have on DVD that I would love to have...anyone have it? AZ?

I think it was Kevin Hoogsteen who took that shot. I distinctly recall that puck bouncing out into the open, seeing Armbrust flying into the scene and the momentary hope that he could get to the puck and get off a shot before the goalie was able to move over. And he was.

i remember the moring before sioux/gophs final couple years back on st pattys day partying in a underground parking garage filled with bands and beer stands and then having to go to the bathroom so bad but the lines were super long. so i walk up to next level packed with cars, find a nice place and start going and man it felt good but then i look to my right and see this giant man dressed up in a full out leprachan suit and he was doing the same thing as the lines for the bathrooms were sooo long. so he looks up at me and says, whats up dude, sweet jersey......the sioux are pretty good this year and i look back and its Matt Birk , former viking :glare::D it was hilarious

then we walk back down and he bys me and my buddies beers :(

stpaul.jpg.w300h225.jpg

then the prime rib sandwiches up in the club level was like heaven after drinking since 9am to a 7pm game :D

I think it was Kevin Hoogsteen who took that shot. I distinctly recall that puck bouncing out into the open, seeing Armbrust flying into the scene and the momentary hope that he could get to the puck and get off a shot before the goalie was able to move over. And he was.

The goal was very similar to the goal Darcy scored in overtime against CC this year.

The Wheeler goal a couple years ago was right in front us. One of those sport's shots that probably couldn't be done again even if tried. As they say in golf, "He couldn't hit that shot again if you gave him 3 bags of balls!"

i remember the moring before sioux/gophs final couple years back on st pattys day partying in a underground parking garage filled with bands and beer stands and then having to go to the bathroom so bad but the lines were super long. so i walk up to next level packed with cars, find a nice place and start going and man it felt good but then i look to my right and see this giant man dressed up in a full out leprachan suit and he was doing the same thing as the lines for the bathrooms were sooo long. so he looks up at me and says, whats up dude, sweet jersey......the sioux are pretty good this year and i look back and its Matt Birk , former viking :glare::D it was hilarious

then we walk back down and he bys me and my buddies beers :(

stpaul.jpg.w300h225.jpg

then the prime rib sandwiches up in the club level was like heaven after drinking since 9am to a 7pm game :D

My friends and I also stumbled across the parking garage party. That was a crazy weekend. My favorite Final Five memory was Tyler Hirsch scoring himself. The Gopher / Husky 8-7 OT game was fun. The other end of the spectrum was Wheeler's goal.

I remember about 3 years (2006) my buddy and I went to the Final Five and he works for KBUN so he went to the post game press conference

and tape the press conference for the hockey show, and while I was waiting in the Lobby former Sioux Matt Henderson came up to me and we had a nice chat. It was really cool. That has to be one of me more favorable memories.

do nightmares count as memories ? ( I would guess so)

I agree with oxbow

then it would be the Fluke or Unreal goal Wheeler scored against Lee & Lamoreaux right at the end :glare:

Wasn't Binas long goal at the F5 against the goofs ?

do nightmares count as memories ? ( I would guess so)

I agree with oxbow

then it would be the Fluke or Unreal goal Wheeler scored against Lee & Lamoreaux right at the end :glare:

Wasn't Binas long goal at the F5 against the goofs ?

nope, at the marriucci! The first time we swept the Gophers there in 27 years!

My brother and I were watching it in his basement, so we couldn't see the whole play develop. I remember the shot, and all of a sudden Armbrust comes flying in and ends it. AWESOME!

The goal was very similar to the goal Darcy scored in overtime against CC this year.

Yeah, I thought of that too the night it happened. I remember someone saying something outlandish in reference to give Malone credit for angling it off the goalie's pad right to Zajac. :glare: Yeah, at a high game pace, Malone took the time to think geometrically as to what would be the best angle to shoot the puck so that Zajac gets the best shot possible. :D That poster made me laugh.

Many on here have reflected on the 2001 game at the X against St. Cloud. I was at that game, too. If you can ever be in St. Paul on St. Patty's day -- do it. Anyway, I was in the nosebleed section opposite the goal the Sioux shot at in the third. We were surrounded by the most obnoxious and cocky St. Cloud fans EVER!

The fact that we were only down 1 goal with a few ticks left in the game was unfathomable, considering how deep of a hole we had been in. I will never forget Roche skating onto the ice. I leaned over to my mom, who was at her first Final 5 game. I told her if the Sioux win the draw and get it back to Roche ... we have a shot. Sure enough, true to script, Lundbohm got the puck back to Travis on the left point with 11 seconds to go. In my mind's eye, I still can see the back of the net give as the puck sailed into the twine. It seemed like eternity for the red light to come on, though it was surely instantaneous. I must have leaped 10 feet at that point. Even though, we lost in sudden death, the near comback tempered the Husky fans big time and their mood was more of relief than cockiness.

I also remember reading about a young woman who was watching the 1997 Final 5 championship against the Goofs at one of those Sioux game-watching parties down south, maybe in Arizona. She was wearing Sioux gear like many in the room. After Peter Armbrust's game winner, the party erupted with joy except for the young woman. She was in tears in front of the TV. Another Sioux fan tried to allay her grief, informing her that it was the Sioux that, in fact, scored and had won. That's when she informed him that Peter was her brother.

Damn, it's great to be part of the Fighting Sioux nation!

Wilbur's top five WCHA Final Five Moments:

1. The 15 goal SCSU-Minnesota hockey game. I consider myself a hockey expert, and I thought there was no way in hell that the huskies were going to win that hockey game when it went into overtime. Thank you Jeff Frazee.

2. My first final five was the year Anchorage made it down and actually won the play in game. Watching them beat CC and give it their all against UND was fun.

3. Nick Fuher hitting the glass so hard with his stick while Jeff Paukovich was in the penalty for his hit on Bina that the official scorer actually looked at the glass to see if it was okay.

4. The play in game between UND and Bucky in 2005. Great hockey game up and down the ice. It was a huge win for UND, and a huge momentum booster for the postseason. Jordan Parise was outstanding in goal that game.

5. The goal by Sparky that same final five. UND was getting outplayed to that point because it was their third game in three days, but that goal sent a spark to the rest of the team, and from there the sioux were able to pull it off.

I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAD TO THE X TOMORROW!!!! AHH YEAH!!!!! :glare:

Tonite listening to the Wild game I was surprised to hear Derek Peltier was playing for Colorado. That brought back an instant Final Five memory, which brought back a few others. Figured I'd share them here and see who else has any faves they want to share as well.

1. Derek Peltier - A few years ago MN was playing and just about every time Peltier passed in close proximity some guy close to us would stand up and yell things like "PELTIER YOU SUCK!" and "THAT'S YOUR MAN, PELTIER". What made it so funny is it was a Gopher fan who was screaming at him.

2. Many years ago my buddy Jim and I brought our fairly new wives to watch the Sioux take on the Gophers at the old Civic Center. I'm assuming this was a Final Five game but this was early '90s. Anyway, Goldy Gopher cames by and sees my Sioux jersey and so we have a little set-to. It was just for fun but my wife has not attended another hockey game since. She just smiles and waves as I leave.

3. Another Final Five Civic Center moment......'97 FF Championship game. Best game I'd seen to that point in my life. What a rush!

4. Buddy lands us seats in the Old Dutch suite back in the Target Center. For some reason Goldy's got it out for me. Comes into the suite and we start giving each other the business again. I pick him up and carry him to the edge of the suite which apparently unnerved Goldy as he grabbed on for dear life and bent my glasses. No harm done, but Goldy and I steer clear of each other in our old age.

5. I think it was right after the move to the X. Sparsely attended Friday afternoon contest and Denver was playing. We're sitting directly opposite the Denver bench. Gwoz is pissed at one of his Dmen and yells "Get the F... OFF the ice!". We decided those are pretty great seats! Still have them.

6. Back at Target Center after winning a Final Five championship, I think in 2000, marching with the band from the Target Center to the team hotel for the championship celebration, singing the Beer song and the fight song the whole way. Nice crowd parading through the streets. Room too packed to get in so many of us were standing out in the hallway while the players filed in after cleaning up. Still remember Commie's shock of red hair.

7. A few years ago telling people to come see me and giving them the wrong section number. Ok, that wasn't really a good memory, just an embarrassing moment.

8. Final Five championship loss to MN in the last year of Parise/Bochenksi/Blais. While I hate losing to MN that was one great game.

9. Final Five 2001 loss to SCSU in the championship. Coming back from 3? down, and looking to the end of the ice where my SCSU fan co-worker sits and seeing him grasp his hands around his neck when the Sioux tied it up. Jeffy Panzer comes on the ice after the tieing goal and you can see from his body language he's loving life and can't wait for the puck to drop. I'll never forget watching him kind of scissor his legs waiting for the guys to line up and the puck to drop.

10. What special? (ok, that one's an inside joke for my buddies)

A new memory from the 2009 Final Five!

11. Gasboy and I held this up from our seats in 104, Row 11, directly across from the Denver bench. Pregame a Denver assistant coach saw it and got a kick out of it, and motioned Gwoz over and pointed it out. Gwoz took a glance at it and just shook his head and walked away. I think he was amused. I waved when the assistant was pointing it out. He smiled and gave a small nod of recognition.

IMG00007.jpg

A new memory from the 2009 Final Five!

11. Gasboy and I held this up from our seats in 104, Row 11, directly across from the Denver bench. Pregame a Denver assistant coach saw it and got a kick out of it, and motied Gwoz over and pointed it out. Gwoz took a glance at it and just shook his head and walked away. I think he was amused. I waved when the assistant was pointing it out. He smiled and gave a small nod of recognition.

IMG00007.jpg

Clearly this picture was taken just before security got involved. :lol:

I have only a few memories to share since this is only my third year at the tourney.

1) In '07 when the official Anderson got hit in the face with the puck and dropped. He then staggers off leaving a huge trail of blood.

2) '08 I was sitting in section 107 and watching one of the games and all the whole end of the arena was buzzing about something. I look to my right and see a piece of ripped cardboard with crude sharpie lettering that said "My Liver Hurts" being held up by someone who had obviously been enjoying himself a little to much. Then about 5 min. later the paramedic shows up because he had passed out in his seat. Hilarious!

3) This year we ended up sitting about 4 rows up from my mom's boss (a dentist). It was great seeing him get more and more belligerent to the point where, when an old man from Duluth asked him to sit down, he responded by saying " Shut up you old man, I could kick your A**!" Good Times

#1 - THIS WEEKEND!

I have been going to the WCHA playoffs for something like 22 years, and finally got to see the Dogs hoist the hardware!

And it was well done. Congrats to the Bulldogs. I don't think you'll find a Sioux fan who will say that their Coach isn't one to be respected, nor their team. Obviously hard work pays off.

#1 - THIS WEEKEND!

I have been going to the WCHA playoffs for something like 22 years, and finally got to see the Dogs hoist the hardware!

Yes, congratulations to all you diehards. In section 104 there is a guy (Bulldog fan) who has been there every year since the Final Five came to the X. He sits with his Dad, a gopher fan. Both decent guys. He keeps coming every year just to watch hockey. I was happy for him, and everyone like him that comes every year regardless if their team is there, and got to watch what went on this weekend.

After the game I turned to him and told him we felt he deserved this. He was so happy. He said something like "You guys have won championships so this is nothing for you, but I don't even know what to do now!" I didn't know what to say but whether you've won one or 10 championships of any kind, all you do is enjoy the moment.

Go Dogs. Hopefully the Sioux and the Dogs meet in the NCAA Final game, and Stalock finally lets in goal #1 to the Sioux, in overtime. :lol:

I'm very irritated that I couldn't make the tournament this year, but after our performance, perhaps saving the $ was worth it. Win or lose, it's always a great weekend. Anyway...(in no particular order)

1. Seeing MN get beat by St. Cloud. Great atmosphere.

2. Hearing Woog talk about how Wheeler practiced "the shot" when I watched the replay after returning home.

3. Because Frazee had let in 2 long goals during the season, during the Championship game, a guy sitting around us yelled "Watch out Frazee!" every time a puck came near him.

4. Walking next to Mickey's with my wife, a police officer in a patrol car yelled "Down with the Sioux!" over the PA. Par for the course.

5. Bochenski's shorty to tie the game (I think in '04)

6. Anytime St. Patty's overlaps with the F5! :lol: