SiouxSports.com Forum

Favorite Final Five Memories

dagies

Tonite listening to the Wild game I was surprised to hear Derek Peltier was playing for Colorado. That brought back an instant Final Five memory, which brought back a few others. Figured I'd share them here and see who else has any faves they want to share as well.

1. Derek Peltier - A few years ago MN was playing and just about every time Peltier passed in close proximity some guy close to us would stand up and yell things like "PELTIER YOU SUCK!" and "THAT'S YOUR MAN, PELTIER". What made it so funny is it was a Gopher fan who was screaming at him.

2. Many years ago my buddy Jim and I brought our fairly new wives to watch the Sioux take on the Gophers at the old Civic Center. I'm assuming this was a Final Five game but this was early '90s. Anyway, Goldy Gopher cames by and sees my Sioux jersey and so we have a little set-to. It was just for fun but my wife has not attended another hockey game since. She just smiles and waves as I leave.

3. Another Final Five Civic Center moment......'97 FF Championship game. Best game I'd seen to that point in my life. What a rush!

4. Buddy lands us seats in the Old Dutch suite back in the Target Center. For some reason Goldy's got it out for me. Comes into the suite and we start giving each other the business again. I pick him up and carry him to the edge of the suite which apparently unnerved Goldy as he grabbed on for dear life and bent my glasses. No harm done, but Goldy and I steer clear of each other in our old age.

5. I think it was right after the move to the X. Sparsely attended Friday afternoon contest and Denver was playing. We're sitting directly opposite the Denver bench. Gwoz is pissed at one of his Dmen and yells "Get the F... OFF the ice!". We decided those are pretty great seats! Still have them.

6. Back at Target Center after winning a Final Five championship, I think in 2000, marching with the band from the Target Center to the team hotel for the championship celebration, singing the Beer song and the fight song the whole way. Nice crowd parading through the streets. Room too packed to get in so many of us were standing out in the hallway while the players filed in after cleaning up. Still remember Commie's shock of red hair.

7. A few years ago telling people to come see me and giving them the wrong section number. Ok, that wasn't really a good memory, just an embarrassing moment.

8. Final Five championship loss to MN in the last year of Parise/Bochenksi/Blais. While I hate losing to MN that was one great game.

9. Final Five 2001 loss to SCSU in the championship. Coming back from 3? down, and looking to the end of the ice where my SCSU fan co-worker sits and seeing him grasp his hands around his neck when the Sioux tied it up. Jeffy Panzer comes on the ice after the tieing goal and you can see from his body language he's loving life and can't wait for the puck to drop. I'll never forget watching him kind of scissor his legs waiting for the guys to line up and the puck to drop.

10. What special? (ok, that one's an inside joke for my buddies)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonite listening to the Wild game I was surprised to hear Derek Peltier was playing for Colorado. That brought back an instant Final Five memory, which brought back a few others. Figured I'd share them here and see who else has any faves they want to share as well.

1. Derek Peltier - A few years ago MN was playing and just about every time Peltier passed in close proximity some guy close to us would stand up and yell things like "PELTIER YOU SUCK!" and "THAT'S YOUR MAN, PELTIER". What made it so funny is it was a Gopher fan who was screaming at him.

2. Many years ago my buddy Jim and I brought our fairly new wives to watch the Sioux take on the Gophers at the old Civic Center. I'm assuming this was a Final Five game but this was early '90s. Anyway, Goldy Gopher cames by and sees my Sioux jersey and so we have a little set-to. It was just for fun but my wife has not attended another hockey game since. She just smiles and waves as I leave.

3. Another Final Five Civic Center moment......'97 FF Championship game. Best game I'd seen to that point in my life. What a rush!

4. Buddy lands us seats in the Old Dutch suite back in the Target Center. For some reason Goldy's got it out for me. Comes into the suite and we start giving each other the business again. I pick him up and carry him to the edge of the suite which apparently unnerved Goldy as he grabbed on for dear life and bent my glasses. No harm done, but Goldy and I steer clear of each other in our old age.

5. I think it was right after the move to the X. Sparsely attended Friday afternoon contest and Denver was playing. We're sitting directly opposite the Denver bench. Gwoz is pissed at one of his Dmen and yells "Get the F... OFF the ice!". We decided those are pretty great seats! Still have them.

6. Back at Target Center after winning a Final Five championship, I think in 2000, marching with the band from the Target Center to the team hotel for the championship celebration, singing the Beer song and the fight song the whole way. Nice crowd parading through the streets. Room too packed to get in so many of us were standing out in the hallway while the players filed in after cleaning up. Still remember Commie's shock of red hair.

7. A few years ago telling people to come see me and giving them the wrong section number. Ok, that wasn't really a good memory, just an embarrassing moment.

8. Final Five championship loss to MN in the last year of Parise/Bochenksi/Blais. While I hate losing to MN that was one great game.

9. Final Five 2001 loss to SCSU in the championship. Coming back from 3? down, and looking to the end of the ice where my SCSU fan co-worker sits and seeing him grasp his hands around his neck when the Sioux tied it up. Jeffy Panzer comes on the ice after the tieing goal and you can see from his body language he's loving life and can't wait for the puck to drop. I'll never forget watching him kind of scissor his legs waiting for the guys to line up and the puck to drop.

10. What special? (ok, that one's an inside joke for my buddies)

Sioux beat Gofs in 99 at Target center...Spehar left upside down in Sioux bench...anyone got the pic?

I like Dagies' 10. Here's 10 from my side of the aisle. I'll leave out the obvious like championships, OT goals on either side ... in favor of other memories, some quite obscure:

1) The very first WCHA FINAL FOUR (yes, just four then) - 1988 - at the old Civic Center. We lost to Wisconsin (think it was 1-0 or 2-1 which in those days was like NO goals at all) but it was still fun to be in the big arena. (Again, this was the days before the new Ralph.)

2) 1997 at the old Civic Center. We had seats at center ice, dozen rows up, and were basically 2 green in the midst of a sea of maroon. It was awesome. If there was ever a game that we needed last change, it was that game, because MN had some horses. Still not sure how that Sioux team won, other than being a bunch of overachievers.

3) Target Center 2000, Wisconsin vs Minnesota in the evening semifinal. Quiet during the period break, Zamboni is doing the ice. Meanwhile, the PA gives the Michigan score, and when they lose, it clinches a #1 seed for the Sioux and a first round bye. I'm going berserk in the midst of a period break. People stared, and not in a good way. It was awesome.

4) Target Center 2000, final game. 20 seconds in, Bayda lays out a Badger defenseman with a hard clean check and sets the tone for the night. Not even Heatley and Reino could beat the Sioux that night.

5) 2001 Friday afternoon semifinal; first Sioux game at the new Xcel. A CC shot is deflected and comes harmlessly floating toward Goehring, who jumps up and heads the puck into the corner. The building was abuzz for 5 minutes, and I've never seen a header like that ever since.

6) 2001 championship game. Massive, absolutely massive Sioux fan turnout. Must have been at least 7000 fans in green. Maybe 9000. It really was the home of the Sioux that night. Later, with the Sioux down 3, clock winding out. I'm thinking, well this was not fun. My daughter, age 8 at the time, says "we're only down 3 with 5 minutes left, I think probly we will win. We have Panzer." Out of the mouths of babes. Well you all know what happened next; one of those phenomenal Panzer-led rallies for the history books. (And yes, she is STILL convinced Goehring was interfered with on the winning goal.)

7) 2005 Friday night semifinal Tyler Hirsch goes nuts after getting shutout 3-0 by CC. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj4WCbLLlIE...feature=related

8) 2005 third place game. Here's a big difference between Sioux hockey and Gopher hockey. Gophers going through the motions, Sioux get off to a bad start but got life on a Spirko shorthander and found a way to win, even with Bina in the hospital. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVzWFE3UmI I am not emotional, but I was really proud of how the team reacted. Prelude to UND winning a "Beanpot" (BC/BU in the NCAA East Regional) the next weekend.

9) 2006 semifinals. In the afternoon, UND beats Wisconsin on 2 goals by Kaip, to keep Wisconsin winless all-time in the first 6 years at the Xcel. (They have since won 2 games.) In the evening, St Cloud with the big rally to top Minnesota, who had looked unbeatable up to that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcEhXxjJ2pI (Prelude to Holy Cross.)

10) 2007 Friday afternoon semifinal. Chris VandeVelde scores just his 2nd and 3rd goals of the season, including the eventual GWG. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OxZE1H9Vbk...=PL&index=7 So, on Saturday night, we get there early with a "VandeVelde for Hobey!" sign during warmups. Which got a nice reaction from the team.

3) Target Center 2000, Wisconsin vs Minnesota in the evening semifinal. Quiet during the period break, Zamboni is doing the ice. Meanwhile, the PA gives the Michigan score, and when they lose, it clinches a #1 seed for the Sioux and a first round bye. I'm going berserk in the midst of a period break. People stared, and not in a good way. It was awesome.

That was my favorite Final Five of all time. I remember watching Badgers fans crying after they lost to the Sioux.

Awesome game.

Even though we lost that 2001 Championship game to St Cloud, it was one of the funnest games I've ever been at. Coming back to tie it with 3 late goals and the atmosphere at the X that night was amazing.

Even though we lost that 2001 Championship game to St Cloud, it was one of the funnest games I've ever been at. Coming back to tie it with 3 late goals and the atmosphere at the X that night was amazing.

I still think that goal shouldn't have counted, Kohlar (sp) was checked out of his net and with the replay rules today it would have been no goal and play on.

After getting college having the Gophers go 6-1 and win two titles from '94-'96 was nice. Woog got beer dumped on him and Checco had to OT winners. Only made it to Milwaukee in '94

The dry spell started with that great game vs. UND in '97. Still will never understand how Wyatt Smith missed an open net at the end of regulation. That one left me bitter until spring of '02.

The Gophers played their hearts out in '00, beating MSU and losing heartbreakers to UW and SCSU to fall short of being a tourney team.

Arneson blasting a slapper through the twine at the X in '01 was impressive. Play went on, but after further review time was put back on and the goal counted.

Since then it has been feast or famine for the Gophers. Great title games vs. UND, dismal title games vs. DU.

Armbrust scored in overtime against the Gophers to win 4-3.

If I remember correctly, Armbrust just came onto the ice and charged the net. Another Sioux player shot a hard shot on net, and Pete just happened to be in the right place at the right time...the puck bounced right on his stick, allowing him to shoot it into the open part of the net, sending every Sioux fan into an outrage of joy! That's one of the games I don't have on DVD that I would love to have...anyone have it? AZ?

9) 2006 semifinals. In the afternoon, UND beats Wisconsin on 2 goals by Kaip, to keep Wisconsin winless all-time in the first 6 years at the Xcel. (They have since won 2 games.) In the evening, St Cloud with the big rally to top Minnesota, who had looked unbeatable up to that point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcEhXxjJ2pI (Prelude to Holy Cross.)

I'll never forget when the Sioux won this game, and the announcement was made that UND would play Minnesota in the championship game the next night.

If I remember correctly, Armbrust just came onto the ice and charged the net. Another Sioux player shot a hard shot on net, and Pete just happened to be in the right place at the right time...the puck bounced right on his stick, allowing him to shoot it into the open part of the net, sending every Sioux fan into an outrage of joy! That's one of the games I don't have on DVD that I would love to have...anyone have it? AZ?

The fact that seems lost to both Sioux and Gopher fans is that was a major role in them winning the title in 1997. With the loss, Minnesota was placed in Grand Rapids with Michigan on their side while the Sioux got a #2 seed, the bye and got to play Cornell.

The Sioux were an overachieving bunch in 1997 and credit where credit's due, but I don't think the Sioux get through Michigan in Grand Rapids in 1997 if they were there instead of the Gophers.

Point: Sometimes you need the puck luck & bounces as much as having the best team. I'll always remember Armbrust telling me that the '98 & '99 Sioux teams were better than the '97 team that won it all.

The fact that seems lost to both Sioux and Gopher fans is that was a major role in them winning the title in 1997. With the loss, Minnesota was placed in Grand Rapids with Michigan on their side while the Sioux got a #2 seed, the bye and got to play Cornell.

Remember the scene that Wooger made because he had to play the Wolverines? Oh my God.

The Sioux were an overachieving bunch in 1997 and credit where credit's due, but I don't think the Sioux get through Michigan in Grand Rapids in 1997 if they were there instead of the Gophers.

Point: Sometimes you need the puck luck & bounces as much as having the best team. I'll always remember Armbrust telling me that the '98 & '99 Sioux teams were better than the '97 team that won it all.

Yep I was bitter for a long time on this one. It was similar to the Holy Cross goal in some ways. Sioux player on left wing fires puck. Gopher defense deflects it perfectly to Armbrust who buries it.

The seeding was an absolute joke. Michigan was the 1W (#1 in PWR), UND the 2W (#2 in PWR), and the Gophers were the 3W (#4 PWR). Two years prior the Gophers were put into CC's bracket after playing them in the Final Five and ended their season. So they come up with the brilliant idea to swap the Gopher bracket with the Cornell bracket and the rest was history. Fast forward to 2007, the Gophers were not extended the same courtesy and UND only had to wait a week for revenge after Wheeler's spectacular goal.

Completely agree about puck luck. Despite how much fun it is to mock Brendan Morrison, he is right that the best team doesn't always win. That is what makes hockey in my opinion the best in person sport to watch.

Yep I was bitter for a long time on this one. It was similar to the Holy Cross goal in some ways. Sioux player on left wing fires puck. Gopher defense deflects it perfectly to Armbrust who buries it.

The seeding was an absolute joke. Michigan was the 1W (#1 in PWR), UND the 2W (#2 in PWR), and the Gophers were the 3W (#4 PWR). Two years prior the Gophers were put into CC's bracket after playing them in the Final Five and ended their season. So they come up with the brilliant idea to swap the Gopher bracket with the Cornell bracket and the rest was history. Fast forward to 2007, the Gophers were not extended the same courtesy and UND only had to wait a week for revenge after Wheeler's spectacular goal.

Completely agree about puck luck. Despite how much fun it is to mock Brendan Morrison, he is right that the best team doesn't always win. That is what makes hockey in my opinion the best in person sport to watch.

Seems there is a memo at the NCAA headquarters that says UND, Michigan and UMN or some combination of the following teams have to be in the same regional all the time.

:glare:

Morrison was correct. If BU would've played Michigan 10 times that year, Michigan probably would have one 8 or 9 of them. That was a great team. Same as the 1980 US Men's hockey team. We're completely outplayed by the Russians just days before the Olympics, but upset them when it counted. The best team doesn't always win.