SiouxSports.com Forum

The pairwise problem

burd

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got thinking about it and as great as it would be to win the WCHA, we might be better off finishing lower so that we can face a team like Duluth and flip that comparison due to head to head.

Obviously we don't want to be losing any but if the teams ahead of us in the league keep winning it wouldn't be a horrible thing.

I got thinking about it and as great as it would be to win the WCHA, we might be better off finishing lower so that we can face a team like Duluth and flip that comparison due to head to head.

Yeah, the granting of a full comparison point for each h2h game definitely makes some weird cliffs in PWR, which create situations just like you're hypothesizing.

However, it would take a pretty weird set of circumstances for UND to be fighting for a tournament spot, but playing a TUC in the first round of the WCHA tourney. I guess if we were WCHA #5 playing WCHA #6, there have been years where #6 was a TUC, but not this year :D Or were you thinking of the Final Five?

Obviously we don't want to be losing any but if the teams ahead of us in the league keep winning it wouldn't be a horrible thing.

That is the last thing I want to see UND doesn't match up well with UMD this season.

I think they are probably the second best team we have seen this season.

I really don't like our chances against them.

That is the last thing I want to see UND doesn't match up well with UMD this season.

I think they are probably the second best team we have seen this season.

I really don't like our chances against them.

To be fair, we only played them in Duluth. We haven't played great hockey on the road. They also have the lowest win percentage in the new ralph. I don't want to see them because it means we would be 5th in the WCHA but I think it would be a different story on home ice.

OK, I'm a knuckledragger when it comes to pairwise, so let me ask this: We keep winning and everything takes care of itself--I get that. But do we always want our sworn enemies (think gophs) to lose if we probably will not pass them in pairwise ? Is it likely we would have benefitted from the gophs winning last night? I know it's impossible to know now for certain, but is it likely?

Be nice if someone cited a rule saying we are always better off when the gophs lose, either by a lot or painfully in overtime.

The PWR is fickle. Chances are good that if we sweep the Land Cows they will no longer be a TUC. However a sweep is our best chance at flipping both Princeton and Yale (COP). The biggest problem this year is that we (UND) and the rest of the WCHA haven't performed out of conference. We have a losing record against Hockey East and the CCHA which hurts. We have a winning record against the EZAC, but numerous EZAC schools appear to be benefitting significantly from not playing anyone. Most PWR vs EZAC are not counting the TUC category, because the EZAC teams haven"t played 10 games against TUCs. While this helps them get in, it should lead to 1 and done once there.

BC plays UMass Friday - this game effects the COP vs. BC. However, a UMass win could jump them to a TUC, which would give us 1 more TUC loss.

I say, Go UMass!!!

I'm not that hip on UMass beating BC as they couldn't beat Maine yesterday. problem for us is in all liklihod the COP with BC will end up being tied at thend of the year as they will proabably beat UMass,lose to BU and we'll split with Wisc. If we're going to flip this comparison it needs to be with the RPI.

We want a BU over BC beanpot title. Go BU today, Go BC tonight. Go terriers on the 9th. A BU win over BC flips the PWR vs BC.

If you want BU to win the Beanpot . . . you may want to send some flu medicine down to Agganis. They played with basically 15 skaters tonight and it wasn't pretty. Lots of vomit last weekend and today . . . again not pretty. I can't stand vomit.

If you want BU to win the Beanpot . . . you may want to send some flu medicine down to Agganis. They played with basically 15 skaters tonight and it wasn't pretty. Lots of vomit last weekend and today . . . again not pretty. I can't stand vomit.

Yuck...

BC loses 6 - 1.

With that loss they drop to 16 in the PWR. I do believe the Sioux have moved into the field of 16.

for tonight and barring any conference tourney upsets but we did move up a bit..mayeb we will get more help over the weekend

Last time I looked it was 14th place.

we are but too ealry to know what will happen. just win and good things will happen and other things will play out, people can wondr why we arent moving up much or why other teams are ahead of us but just go back over a month and we lost to 2 of the worst teams in college hockey. disater. even plsitting those we are in way better shape. we will be fine if we keep playing solid