SiouxSports.com Forum

The pairwise problem

burd

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but #14 in the PairWise gets you into the big dance? The two autobids given out annually to Lakeland Dental Academy and Bozos Clown College typically account for the #15 and #16 seeds. (unless of course it's Holy Cross, then you really need to play the game)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but #14 in the PairWise gets you into the big dance? The two autobids given out annually to Lakeland Dental Academy and Bozos Clown College typically account for the #15 and #16 seeds. (unless of course it's Holy Cross, then you really need to play the game)

There is always a chance of a team winning a conference tourney that wouldn't otherwise get in. For example, Michican Tech winning the Final Five. This would add another auto bid to the mix and therefore only the top 13 teams in the pairwise would make it.

As of now, autobids belong to: RIT, Notre Dame, Cornell, Northeastern, Denver, Bemidji.

Only RIT and Bemidji don't appear in the pairwise. So the at large bids go to:

BU, Minnesota, Vermont, Michigan, Princeton, Miami, tOSU, BC, UNH, tUMD.

Last team in is Duluth who is tied for 14th in the PW with UND, but they have a higher RPI so Sioux are last team out.

Keep winning, gotta flip that comparison. Ideally you want to be above the 10 spot in the pairwise. 12 - 14 is definitely the bubble.

Nobody in the WCHA is a lock for the tourney this year. The best way to make the tourney (without the autobid) is to finish top three in league and win at least one game at the X. The third place game at the X could easily be a tourney entrance deciding game.

As long as the Sioux don't go belly up some weekend, I think they will play well enough to make it.

Can anyone explain why UM Duluth is where they're at in the PWR.

There are a lot of games to be played... Just did a quick "once over" of Moy's bracketology that came out today, and noticed that it is Duluth who is tied with the Sioux for 14th in the PWR. I have some comprehension of the workings of the PWR, but how can Duluth even be in the top 20? The only possible explanation that I can come up with is their one win against Mass-Lowell. As of now, the only non conference win to a TUC is Mass-Lowell. With M-L's remaining schedule they'll probably not be a TUC either. I don't even know that M-L will even have a handful of wins at the end of the year to TUC.

Having UM Duluth within 10 miles of being even being able to see the PWR top 14, just goes to show how flawed the PWR really is.

There are a lot of games to be played... Just did a quick "once over" of Moy's bracketology that came out today, and noticed that it is Duluth who is tied with the Sioux for 14th in the PWR. I have some comprehension of the workings of the PWR, but how can Duluth even be in the top 20? The only possible explanation that I can come up with is their one win against Mass-Lowell. As of now, the only non conference win to a TUC is Mass-Lowell. With M-L's remaining schedule they'll probably not be a TUC either. I don't even know that M-L will even have a handful of wins at the end of the year to TUC.

Having UM Duluth within 10 miles of being even being able to see the PWR top 14, just goes to show how flawed the PWR really is.

wish i knew but i dont but i also know when we sweep this weekend we will jump up a few spots. i still believe the tech and mich state losses in detroit are a big factor to where we sit but that will change soon with the way the sioux are winiing. those were AWFUL losses but the sioux are moving on up like the mutha$%#!@ jeffersons :D

wish i knew but i dont but i also know when we sweep this weekend we will jump up a few spots. i still believe the tech and mich state losses in detroit are a big factor to where we sit but that will change soon with the way the sioux are winiing. those were AWFUL losses but the sioux are moving on up like the mutha$%#!@ jeffersons :D

I don't think beating tech of msu in that holiday tournament would have helped much unless the Sioux had went on to beat Michigan. Tech and MSU won't be TUC at the end of the year. Not too sure how much a sweep against st.cloud will help either. Maybe I didn't understand the PW predictor last week, but I thought it said that if UND took just one game from DU, there was a good probability to move up several spots. Not only did they take three points on the weekend, but they moved up zero spots. Other than sweeping Denver early on, st. clown's wins on their schedule look as pathetic as UMD's. We'll be lucky not to move down in the PWR if we sweep this weekend;)

Given how close Duluth's performance has been to be UND's, I might have expected them to be close in PWR. Duluth has a slightly higher Win% than UND (.6154 vs. .5893), and a better RPI (.5410 vs .5365). Their competition was weaker (.5075 opp win% vs. .5309 opp win%) but their opp-opp win% are much closer (.5196 vs. .5143).

It's that last fact that really goes against your intuition about who has played a tough schedule. In 2007 the RPI really deemphasized actual opponents' winning percentage in favor of opp-opp win%, which is much flatter. I think it's a horrible change, an opinion which I tried to justify in this Jan. 07 post. In trying to eliminate games in which winning would hurt your RPI, they had to deemphasize strength of schedule to the point that the negative effect on SOS of playing, say American International, is smaller than the gain in winning percentage from defeating them. SOS was neutered.

Given how close Duluth's performance has been to be UND's, I might have expected them to be close in PWR. Duluth has a slightly higher Win% than UND (.6154 vs. .5893), and a better RPI (.5410 vs .5365). Their competition was weaker (.5075 opp win% vs. .5309 opp win%) but their opp-opp win% are much closer (.5196 vs. .5143).

It's that last fact that really goes against your intuition about who has played a tough schedule. In 2007 the RPI really deemphasized actual opponents' winning percentage in favor of opp-opp win%, which is much flatter. I think it's a horrible change, an opinion which I tried to justify in this Jan. 07 post. In trying to eliminate games in which winning would hurt your RPI, they had to deemphasize strength of schedule to the point that the negative effect on SOS of playing, say American International, is smaller than the gain in winning percentage from defeating them. SOS was neutered.

Still, given that our position in the KRACH and Pairwise it's hard for me to criticize the methodology used.

Our problem is we didn't win some of the games we should have won.

Can someone explan to me how UND beat Denver last Friday night HUGE! and dont move anywhere in the Pairwise after that. and the same night Yale beats Cornell a team UND alson beat HUGE and they move up 10 SPOTS!! after Friday nights win. To me it really makes no sense considering we beat a team that was ranked right along with Cornell maybe not quite as high but definetly a top 10 team.

Isn't the reason because no one win or loss happens in a vacuum, its impact on PWR is affected by other events outside that particular game or series. Kinda like the sex education caveat that you don't just sleep with Joe but, for exposure to STD and worse, with everyone Joe's slept with and everyone that those who slept with Joe slept with and so on and so on?

Isn't the reason because no one win or loss happens in a vacuum, its impact on PWR is affected by other events outside that particular game or series. Kinda like the sex education caveat that you don't just sleep with Joe but, for exposure to STD and worse, with everyone Joe's slept with and everyone that those who slept with Joe slept with and so on and so on?

TMI :D

Last team in is Duluth who is tied for 14th in the PW with UND, but they have a higher RPI so Sioux are last team out.

The first tiebreaker is H2H, which UMD wins with their 1-0-1 record vs. the Sioux.

See above... (1-0-1 vs. UND)

The first tiebreaker is H2H, which UMD wins with their 1-0-1 record vs. the Sioux.

See above... (1-0-1 vs. UND)

correction. in the pairwise rpi is the first tiebreaker. and duluth has the higher rpi and they win the comparison between the two teams. so therefore umd is number 14 and we are number 15.

Can someone explan to me how UND beat Denver last Friday night HUGE! and dont move anywhere in the Pairwise after that. and the same night Yale beats Cornell a team UND alson beat HUGE and they move up 10 SPOTS!! after Friday nights win. To me it really makes no sense considering we beat a team that was ranked right along with Cornell maybe not quite as high but definetly a top 10 team.

the biggest thing right now is to not panic. the biggest reason that UND hasn't moved much in the past few weeks is that their RPI isn't that high right now. as long as they keep winning that will rise and when that does they will move up. keep in mind that the pairwise are just a snapshot of whatt he season looks like at any particular moment. they are fun to track during the season but don't mean much until March 21st at about 10 p.m. when the final 5 championship game concludes and all the games have been played.

correction. in the pairwise rpi is the first tiebreaker. and duluth has the higher rpi and they win the comparison between the two teams. so therefore umd is number 14 and we are number 15.

OK. I was just going off of Moy's Bracketology, in which he used H2H to break ties first and then RPI.