SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

It's been too long to tell...

Yup. But as for the regular season, all our sports did the same thing. Epic fail at the end of the season. Football...fail, Hockey...fail, Basketball...fail, but then made a nice little come back today and should be dancing. It's a huge accomplishment coming from where the program was 2 years ago.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

back on topic to HOCKEY

hey jim, any pairwise charts out yet for this weekend :silly:

Sure. Though I've gained a lot of confidence over the season in the technique in general, this week's chart is somewhat suspect because I was only able to get the conditional third game included for UND, not for any of the other teams. So, the ranges are probably about right, but take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

From WCHA first round PWR implications

pwrpredict20090316.gif

Sure. Though I've gained a lot of confidence over the season in the technique in general, this week's chart is somewhat suspect because I was only able to get the conditional third game included for UND, not for any of the other teams. So, the ranges are probably about right, but take the whole thing with a grain of salt.

pwrpredict20090316.gif

Hey Jim I what do we make of this. It appears that UND is basically in the tourney.

The Sioux won't get much Pairwise help from its series against Michigan Tech next weekend. If they do wind up winning the Final Five, a No. 1 seed is possible, but still unlikely, unless there's a bunch of Hockey East upsets.

It looks like 13 is about as far as North Dakota could fall, and that's if everything goes wrong, meaning it looks pretty safe for an NCAA spot.

pwrpredict20090316.gif

gracias amigo

Honestly I don't care. As long as they are in.

i care as we have a great shot at a very high 2 seed and a very ooutside chance at a 1 seed and that allows you last change in first round no matter

we will be in it to win it............

i care as we have a great shot at a very high 2 seed and a very ooutside chance at a 1 seed and that allows you last change in first round no matter

we will be in it to win it............

Yeah know that but as far as getting a 1, 2 is there really much difference? I would like to see us win the rest of the

way but I don't see much difference between most of the 2 and 3 seeds.

Yeah know that but as far as getting a 1, 2 is there really much difference? I would like to see us win the rest of the

way but I don't see much difference between most of the 2 and 3 seeds.

maybe, maybe not talent wise but a 2 seed is nice first round with the last line change vs a 3 seed. it can make a big difference in games down the stretch. there is a huge difference in getting a 1 or 2 seed for obvious reasons concerning your 1st round match up. the sioux will end up with a 2 seed if they take tech down in 2 and just get to the title game in the final 5

isn't the last change thing a little overrated anyway.

depends i guess. if the games coming down to the wire and there are no timeouts left i would say it could be huge. im not saying it can be a game changer throughout a game but it could be a factor. im not a coach so cant answer that for sure but it could be a factor

depends i guess. if the games coming down to the wire and there are no timeouts left i would say it could be huge. im not saying it can be a game changer throughout a game but it could be a factor. im not a coach so cant answer that for sure but it could be a factor

If we come ready to play and play our game it won't matter if we have last change or not.

isn't the last change thing a little overrated anyway.

Hell no.

Especially with UND's D-corps down 1 with the loss of LaPointer, UND's vulnerable to mismatches. Plus if we're behind, we can load up ...

As to whether we get a better or worse opponent, I think all the teams #3 through #14 are close enough you could throw a small blanket and cover all of them.

If we come ready to play and play our game it won't matter if we have last change or not.

yeah i realize that but we all know things dont work out perfect liek that in every game. i was answering goons question as if there is a difference with getting different seeds and that was a factor that is a difference. it could make zero difference or it could be a huge factor down the stretch. you will never know until the game is played out

Hell no.

Especially with UND's D-corps down 1 with the loss of LaPointer, UND's vulnerable to mismatches. Plus if we're behind, we can load up ...

As to whether we get a better or worse opponent, I think all the teams #3 through #14 are close enough you could throw a small blanket and cover all of them.

i wouldnt say 3-14. there are a few teams that can be exposed in the tourney. maybe more like 3-11 or so i would say

go sioux, sweep for techies

its pretty much right on what his chart shows

Pretty much. The chart is as of next Monday but the CHN article is as of the end of the Final Five, so I'm predicting things could end up after this weekend where he predicts they could end up at the end of it all. So, if things went really well or pretty poorly it may be possible to land outside the range he predicted.

Of course, I haven't yet actually verified that those two games could move us further, but it seems quite likely (at least on the downside). It's the same mistake we all make when we try to analyze the PWR by hand, we underestimate how far it's possible to move because it's really hard to consider the cascade of games you didn't think were important but that cumulatively can bump you another spot or two. Of course, those scenarios are also pretty unlikely -- think of how many times this season UND landed right in the middle of the distribution of predictions. You can't expect a much better result from the manual technique, and he clearly knows his PWR and writes a column that I think gives far more useful information than what the exact bracket would be if the season were over today, in mid-January.

Hell no.

Last line change is huge for us on forward as well as d pairings. It allows us to best use our forward depth. Last line change is a significant reason our home record is as good as it is.

Going back to last year, wasn't Mankato and St. Cloud ranked higher than Wisconsin? Didn't Wisconsin have a losing record, but somehow make it to the NC$$ tourney. It is all about money and they made to the tournament because they were hosting a regional. I am sure the NC$$ will find a way for the Goofs to make it in, even if they do lose to St. Cloud this weekend!

Going back to last year, wasn't Mankato and St. Cloud ranked higher than Wisconsin? Didn't Wisconsin have a losing record, but somehow make it to the NC$$ tourney. It is all about money and they made to the tournament because they were hosting a regional. I am sure the NC$$ will find a way for the Goofs to make it in, even if they do lose to St. Cloud this weekend!

uw was a 12 or 13 i believe in pairwise. they were legit based on the system like it or not. its easy, if the gophers win their wcha best of 3 they could hold on , if they lose they are done

uw was a 12 or 13 i believe in pairwise. they were legit based on the system like it or not. its easy, if the gophers win their wcha best of 3 they could hold on , if they lose they are done

you guys keep saying that about Sconny last year - but it was a very controversial sellection - you cannot deny that - right?

you guys keep saying that about Sconny last year - but it was a very controversial sellection - you cannot deny that - right?

The selection was made based on a mathematical formula that had been made public before the season even started. This is not basketball, there is no room full of guys picking who gets to go, THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY. The reason it was controversial is because the system which everyone had been aware of all season long had a team with a losing record ranked 13th.

The NCAA has absolutely no control over who goes to the tournament at this point. I don't understand what is so hard to grasp about that.

The selection was made based on a mathematical formula that had been made public before the season even started. This is not basketball, there is no room full of guys picking who gets to go, THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY. The reason it was controversial is because the system which everyone had been aware of all season long had a team with a losing record ranked 13th.

The NCAA has absolutely no control over who goes to the tournament at this point. I don't understand what is so hard to grasp about that.

so - it was controversial? I never mentioned the word conspiracy and I grasped it just fine thank you

anyway - we'll see what shakes out after AA gets womped this weekend