SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SPARTANS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the strategy of playing in the icebreaker and gli to help us in the end has backfired bigtime. going 0-3 against the other 2 "big" conference foes will kill us in the end and we have no one to blame but ourselves and going 2-0? against the cha will not help us make the ncaa tourney.

I think our boys will play for the split and come out with both barrels blazing tomorrow night. I predict, which I rarely do, that the Sioux win 8 to 1 or 2. Then we will all feel better and forget the sh*t pounding, embarassing A** kicking that we took from a team that was on a 11 game win less streak and plays in that league that we have looked down our noses at while referring to them as the cup cake hockey association! But, they beat us! This team, with its demonstrated skill, does not exemplify their namesake - at least not as I would perceive Ralph Englestad thought of the same. It's time!

Unacceptable - We're the Fighting Sioux, not some crap ass team like Bemidji State. To show up like this when our non-confernce games are crucial to getting into the dance is pathetic. How many times have we seem a Hakstol team mail it in? Do you think Blaiser would put up with our effort so far this year?

I've said this before - we need some blue chip studs on this team. We just don't seem to have the talent this year. Hak better hit the recruiting trail hard - the product he's putting out this year is below expectations. We got it handed to us by one of the worst teams in the country.

Unacceptable - We're the Fighting Sioux, not some crap ass team like Bemidji State. To show up like this when our non-confernce games are crucial to getting into the dance is pathetic. How many times have we seem a Hakstol team mail it in? Do you think Blaiser would put up with our effort so far this year?

I've said this before - we need some blue chip studs on this team. We just don't seem to have the talent this year. Hak better hit the recruiting trail hard - the product he's putting out this year is below expectations. We got it handed to us by one of the worst teams in the country.

I can think of two recruits that I am impressed with, the kid playing with the WJC team Danny Kristo, and the kid that played with the U-18 team Nick Mattson. The list of recruits doesn't look too bad if you ask me.

Danny Kristo, F, 09

Mike Cichy, F, 09

Brett Bruneteau, F, 09

Joe Gleason, D, 09

Andrew MacWilliam, D, 09

Mike Fink, F, 09/10

Danny Mattson, F, 09/10

Nick Mattson, D, 10

I can think of two recruits that I am impressed with, the kid playing with the WJC team Danny Kristo, and the kid that played with the U-18 team Nick Mattson. The list of recruits doesn't look too bad if you ask me.

Danny Kristo, F, 09

Mike Cichy, F, 09

Brett Bruneteau, F, 09

Joe Gleason, D, 09

Andrew MacWilliam, D, 09

Mike Fink, F, 09/10

Danny Mattson, F, 09/10

Nick Mattson, D, 10

I'm not saying we don't have some decent hockey players coming - just like we have some decent players on the team this year. I am saying that we don't have any top end blue chip talent - the kind you win championships with. No Toews, Oshie, Parise, etc. In my opinion, both our sophomore and junior classes are performing below expectations. No one has had a real break-out season. Hell, some have not improved at all. The jury is still out on our Freshmen - some nice talent, but not top end. No first round draft choices, under representated on the 18 and under and World Junior teams. Look at this team's stats and tell me who would make all conference or all american. Our Shattuck pipeline seems to have dried up and we haven't found a replacement. I'm just not happy with mediocre hockey. When we were in the race to recruit Zack Parise he was told to go to UND = that was his best shot at developing his skills for the pros - do you think he would get the same advise today?

I'm not saying we don't have some decent hockey players coming - just like we have some decent players on the team this year. I am saying that we don't have any top end blue chip talent - the kind you win championships with. No Toews, Oshie, Parise, etc.

None of the players you mentioned won an NCAA title during their time here. Not that it was entirely their fault that we didn't, but having a team full of first round draft picks doesn't guarrantee you a championship of any kind. The 1997 team wasn't loved by the Central Scouting Bureau, but they were loved by us because they worked hard, had great team chemistry and had a coaching staff that demanded excellence every shift, every period and every game. Those are things that are missing from this year's team. The talent is there, but those other crucial elements are missing.

None of the players you mentioned won an NCAA title during their time here. Not that it was entirely their fault that we didn't, but having a team full of first round draft picks doesn't guarrantee you a championship of any kind. The 1997 team wasn't loved by the Central Scouting Bureau, but they were loved by us because they worked hard, had great team chemistry and had a coaching staff that demanded excellence every shift, every period and every game. Those are things that are missing from this year's team. The talent is there, but those other crucial elements are missing.

I have a theory but I am going to hold off until the season is over.

True, but in my opinion we should have had at least one. You make a valid argument - I personally am on the side of needing top end talent, but understand what you are saying about team chemistry and work ethic. We don't seem to have either top talent or chemistry this year, and I'm not sure Hak has shown he can develop chemistry or work ethic. Hopefully this team can right itself ( a sentiment I've had for four or five weekends this year). Time is short.

If you don't think you have high end talent in next years class, then you simply don't know how to evaluate talent. That is an excellent recruiting class top to bottom. Is there a sure fire top 10 NHL draft pick in there? No, but in today's college hockey landscape, that might be an advantage. If you can get high end recruits that will stay 3-4 years, like a Jamie McBain, as opposed to a #1 pick like Erik Johnson who leaves after 1, THATS when you have success. Are you going to turn down an Erik Johnson? Absolutely not, but you sure don't need a kid like that to win a championship.

If you don't think you have high end talent in next years class, then you simply don't know how to evaluate talent. That is an excellent recruiting class top to bottom. Is there a sure fire top 10 NHL draft pick in there? No, but in today's college hockey landscape, that might be an advantage. If you can get high end recruits that will stay 3-4 years, like a Jamie McBain, as opposed to a #1 pick like Erik Johnson who leaves after 1, THATS when you have success. Are you going to turn down an Erik Johnson? Absolutely not, but you sure don't need a kid like that to win a championship.

My comment was aimed more at our current roster - In fact, please put your fine eye for talent to use and evaluate our current classes. I am interested in your opinion on the last 3 recruiting classes as they compare to other top NCAA teams like Minnesota, BC, Denver, ETC.

Wow I must be intuitive. I left work knowing MSU was up 1-0. And while at work I kept thinking I bet the Sioux are still losing. And I now come home to look at the result and sure enough the Sioux lost to a craptastic Michigan State team.

Any way you want to spin it the Sioux should have not lost this game. I've watched a few Michigan State games and they just downright suck. That's right though, the Sioux like to lose games that they SHOULD win. :D

If we lose to Michigan Tech tomorrow there's gonna be a lot of questions. Icebreaker Tournament deja vu. ;)

The real question is now....

Can we beat MTU? :D What a sad question...

I would love to beat Red (again). I hate Michigan. I hate BC. I hate Minnesota. I hate Denver. Our chance to beat Michigan is gone for this year's regular season. Our chance to really improve on our OOC record against quality opponents is shot.

This year will take a miracle unlike the previous years for us to make a serious run at a playoff spot. It's by no means impossible, but we have to play like a top tier team through the WCHA tourney. I'd hate to have to rely on the conference tourney to make the playoffs, but it's really looking like that will be our only option.

The real question is now....

Can we beat MTU? :D What a sad question...

I would love to beat Red (again). I hate Michigan. I hate BC. I hate Minnesota. I hate Denver. Our chance to beat Michigan is gone for this year's regular season. Our chance to really improve on our OOC record against quality opponents is shot.

This year will take a miracle unlike the previous years for us to make a serious run at a playoff spot. It's by no means impossible, but we have to play like a top tier team through the WCHA tourney. I'd hate to have to rely on the conference tourney to make the playoffs, but it's really looking like that will be our only option.

wow the way the SIOUX played today you would have thought it was the frozen four. This team does continue to disappoint. I know it has been mentioned but where has Duncan been? From Hobey to 3rd line player at best. Nice kid and I am glad he stayed, at least we know why now. OK enough ripping I just needed to get it off my chest. Different question, what do you think the odds are that our favorite SIOUX team is even at the final five, yet alone win it

I just got back from the game and it was real hard to watch. There should have been alot more penaltys called on MSU. They were hooking and holding the whole game. I think the team played well but the difference was Lerg. The whole second period was in the MSU end and nothing to show for it. I think the forwards should have done a better job getting rebounds and better shots. This loss hurts big time and i think we will look back and wonder what if. This a good team but not a great team. They are missing the key piece of the puzzle, just like last year but last year we still had a big piece(OHSIE). We will see what the second half brings. The month of january is the key. They need to win big games.

wow the way the SIOUX played today you would have thought it was the frozen four. This team does continue to disappoint. I know it has been mentioned but where has Duncan been? From Hobey to 3rd line player at best. Nice kid and I am glad he stayed, at least we know why now. OK enough ripping I just needed to get it off my chest. Different question, what do you think the odds are that our favorite SIOUX team is even at the final five, yet alone win it

Oh I agree completely.

He sucks so badly he's only 3rd in the team in scoring. I mean, does he suck or what?

Nice to know that you have to be in the top 2 players in order to not suck. Funny... the only two players who don't suck are Chay Genoway and Brad Miller.

Nice.

Too bad on our loss. Certainly a disappointing result. I told you that Lerg was the key. We couldn't beat him and we let him get under our skin. Oh well.

So this isn't going to be a fun ride. It happens.

Oh I agree completely.

He sucks so badly he's only 3rd in the team in scoring. I mean, does he suck or what?

Nice to know that you have to be in the top 2 players in order to not suck. Funny... the only two players who don't suck are Chay Genoway and Brad Miller.

Nice.

Too bad on our loss. Certainly a disappointing result. I told you that Lerg was the key. We couldn't beat him and we let him get under our skin. Oh well.

So this isn't going to be a fun ride. It happens.

Having Duncan on a line with Kozak is STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Did I mention it's stupid!

kOZAK SHOULD BE ON A CHECKING LINE.

Kozak is not a creative forward. Dunc needs creative linemates..

Having Duncan on a line with Kozak is STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Did I mention it's stupid!

kOZAK SHOULD BE ON A CHECKING LINE.

Kozak is not a creative forward. Dunc needs creative linemates..

I agree, Kozek has demonstrated that he is only fourth line material and should be used in a checking role

I agree, Kozek has demonstrated that he is only fourth line material and should be used in a checking role

While I don't think that Kozek is quite "fourth line material" (he was our leading goal-scorer last year, and wasn't even on a regular PP unit), I agree that he doesn't appear to be the best fit with VV/Duncan.

I would like to see Gregoire or Trupp up there with Duncan & VV to see what they can do.