SiouxSports.com Forum

Great Lakes Invitational

AZSIOUX

gli-09_250.jpg

Great Lakes Invitational December 27,28 in Detroit, Michigan at the Joe Louis Arena

The Sioux come into this this tourney winning 4 in a row and 5 of their last 6 games not including a 5-2 exhibition win vs the USA U18 Team Friday night in Grand Forks. The Sioux open this tourney vs Michigan State.

The Spartans who the Sioux play on Saturday December 27th haven't won a game since October 31st beating Western Michigan. Since then they have a record of 0-9-2 and a 4-2 loss to the USA U18 team this last Tuesday.

The Wolverines play Michigan Tech to open this tourney are 3-3 in their last 6 games. They have a 6-3 win vs the Gophers this season while losing to UW 3-0 as well.

Michigan Tech has had a tough season as of today like the Spartans. They were 0-11-2 in their last 13 games until sweeping Northern Mich this weekend getting their first wins since October 31st like the Spartans.

WCHA STANDINGS

CCHA STANDINGS

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all SS members and college hockey fans out there..........

und.gif

Overall Record: 9-8-1 (.528)

WCHA: 6-5-1, 13 points

Home: 5-3-0

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSU and MTU are bitten with the injury bug. I'd say MSU is a bit worse off.

Michigan is dangerous and I feel is the only real threat to UND on paper.

MSU has a good goaltending tandem (Jeff Lerg will undoubtedly start. He has a 2.87 GAA and .912 Save% on the season despite his w/l record). They have Jeff Petry as the only really outstanding defensive talent. Gentile isn't bad. No one on defense is much to talk about.

At Forward, Senior Matt Schepke is their leading goal scorer (7g 3a, 10p) and is tied for leading the team in points with senior Tim Crowder. Freshman Daulton Leveille is second with 8pts.

There's really nothing more to say than this.

I think UND can easily beat MTU and MSU.

The question is Michigan.

there are no games in div. 1 that are gimmies. be aware of the injured animal, they will put up a good fight in the face of death. especially since the sioux have been so wildly inconsistent this season (how soon we forget). now they have been playing great as of late and SHOULD beat a down msu team this year, but i hope they don't come into it thinking they've already won. let's get some important non conference wins and keep this winning streak going. GO SIOUX!!

Go Sioux!

Count me in as one that doesn't believe MSU will be a cake walk. They'll be the underdog, and have more crowd support. The Sioux need to get to them early and get a few past Lerg in the 1st to set the tone for the rest of the game. If they can do that, they'll be fine. :D

These games are huge for the PWR...especially if they end up playing UM in their 2nd game. They need some wins to bump up their OOC record. Their only remaining OOC games are against BSU, so these are big games.

UND is for sure the late game. MSU has injury problems, but they still have talent in net and are treating this tournament like the NCAA tourney. There are many Spartan fans that marked this date on their calendars early. They are looking forward to get revenge for that 6-0 game last year. Add to it the fact that I will be attending, and the Sioux have about a .150 winning percentage on games I make it to.

I'll definitely be cheering for Michigan in the first game. I know they're a bunch of goons and we're supposed to support WCHA teams, but a UND-Michigan title game will be infinitely more exciting than UND-Tech. That is, of course, assuming we win our first game. Also looking forward to seeing a game at the Joe for the first time. Should be fun and hopefully 2008 continues to end on a good note.

Go Sioux!

Count me in as one that doesn't believe MSU will be a cake walk. They'll be the underdog, and have more crowd support. The Sioux need to get to them early and get a few past Lerg in the 1st to set the tone for the rest of the game. If they can do that, they'll be fine. :D

These games are huge for the PWR...especially if they end up playing UM in their 2nd game. They need some wins to bump up their OOC record. Their only remaining OOC games are against BSU, so these are big games.

I didn't say nor wish to imply it will be a cakewalk. I'm saying that it should be a win. Whether that happens or not is up to fate.

I don't think any game is a cakewalk unless it is exhibition. Exhibition games can be cakewalks because even if you lose, the only thing really lost is some face (opposing fans will have something they can tease you about). If it counts it matters.

Also looking forward to seeing a game at the Joe for the first time.

Only been to the Joe for one weekend of hockey myself. April 1987. Drove through 500 miles of UP fog to get there, and a snowstorm to get home. Skated circles around the smart kids on Thursday (just like two weeks ago), then polished off the homestanding defending champs on Saturday. It was 3-0 before they put their first shot on net. The concourse was filled with 10,000 deaf-mutes in the first intermission.

Anybody know for sure when the games are? On ticketmaster it says we play the late game but on the UND and USCHO website it says the first game. I was looking on the sat and i only saw the championship game on tv.

On fightingsioux.com it says the UND//MSU game is at 5:35pm CST on Saturday which is the late game. Collegehockeystats.net and INCH(both use ET) also have it listed as the game time as well. USCHO more than likely made a mistake.

The game against Michigan State is going to be on FSN Detroit Plus which is an alternate feed and not a full channel. It shows games that can't be aired on FSN Detroit because of something already being scheduled to be shown. If your satellite provider is DirecTV then FSN Detroit Plus is channel 664. Not sure what the channel is if you have DishNet.

I'm at home in WI right now and will be until the 30th. I actually wanted to go to the GLI since it's only a 7 hr drive or so, but we keep getting piled on with snow and I'd hate to have to drive there or back in any poor driving conditions. So, is there any way I can pick up the game here in WI? Bob, how do you watch?

Anybody know for sure when the games are? On ticketmaster it says we play the late game but on the UND and USCHO website it says the first game. I was looking on the sat and i only saw the championship game on tv.

I just double checked the times on my tickets, and they confirm that the UM-Tech game is at 3 eastern and the UND-MSU game is at 6:30 eastern. UND has always been the late game on any site I've visited, including Ticketmaster, the GLI's website and Joe Louis Arena's website. If you want to watch or follow the game in ND, I'd plan on being near a computer or tv at 5:30.

I've been going to the GLI for 4-5 years and I always run into a few Sioux fans and have a chat. It's always great to see fellow Sioux fans there and I've have always gotten great remarks and discussion with other college hockey fans there regarding the North Dakota program.

With that in mind, how many SS.Com posters might actually be attending the GLI since UND is playing? It would be nice to meet a those from SS.Com alogn with other fans of the Fighting Sioux.

Looking forward to the tournament but I believe it's anybodys game. Even though Tech has a sad record, they seem to play strong at the tournament and give the opposing team a run for it. They took it to U of M at last year's tournament but couldn't pull it out.

Michgan always plays strong and will defintely have the home crowd advantage. They may be the team to beat here.

MSU is always a contender but this year they are having some real problems even though Jeff Lerg is still a real presence in the net.

I'm fully expecting (or at least hoping) to see a strong UND team take it all as they did the last time they were here in 2001.

Less than one week to see the Fighting Sioux play live. This is a big treat for me as getting to Grand Forks isn't the easiest thing to do. Last time to see the Sioux play live was at the Lefty McFadden.

Can't wait! Go Sioux!

there are no games in div. 1 that are gimmies. be aware of the injured animal, they will put up a good fight in the face of death. especially since the sioux have been so wildly inconsistent this season (how soon we forget). now they have been playing great as of late and SHOULD beat a down msu team this year, but i hope they don't come into it thinking they've already won. let's get some important non conference wins and keep this winning streak going. GO SIOUX!!

I doubt anyone would say that playing Minnesota would be an easy win, so we should respect the fact that MSU tied Minnesota, or should I say vice versa since Minnesota had to make a comeback. Hopefully the Sioux realize they can't afford to lose anymore nonconference games for the NCAA picture, and I'm sure Hakstol will let them know that every chance he gets.

I doubt anyone would say that playing Minnesota would be an easy win, so we should respect the fact that MSU tied Minnesota, or should I say vice versa since Minnesota had to make a comeback. Hopefully the Sioux realize they can't afford to lose anymore nonconference games for the NCAA picture, and I'm sure Hakstol will let them know that every chance he gets.

Absolutely.

To me, the key will be to get the momentum early in the game. The best way to do that is to score right away. Also, scoring 3 or more goals wouldn't hurt.

Like I said, I wouldn't at all be surprised if MSU dropped 2 goals on us minimum. 3 Maximum.

OH! And I don't care how bad or good MSU's powerplay is, I don't want to find out. STAY OUT OF THE BOX!