SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

His name is TAVARES... That wasn`t even close to being right. And he`s damn good, he`s allowed to be a little bit of a showoff.

Oops I missed spelled that, that being said he is good but he is a punk. There is no reason to go by the USA bench and taunt them. That lacks class. You win with class and you lose with class.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the game and wow did it turn ugly at the end of the first. The fireworks started when one of the Team USA players, Tagnardi I think, stuck his stick out from the bench into the face of DiDomenico. In the scrum that followed Della Rovere clocked VanRiemsdyk. If it weren't for incompetent international officiating both would have received majors and the game may have settled down but that was not the case. At least the wide wide open back and forth play, the on ice war and the bad officiating had me thinking back to some of the classic WCHA games I watched many years ago. Too bad their had to be a loser because going through Sweden is not going to be easy.

the usa started all the hands to the ear skating by the canada bench kessel style after the first 3 goals. then canada followed it. both teams were punks. easy to see that. tavares is the best player in this tourney and he backed it up with a hatty and many other chances. usa played well but couldnt hold the momentum in that first. canada wins gold and we will see if usa gets there if it works that way in the medal round. bottom line that was a hell of a hockey game. great goals, great passing, big hits and big saves later in the game.

Quarterfinals

Russia vs. Czech Republic, 2:30 p.m. Friday

USA vs. Slovakia, 6:30 p.m. Friday

Semifinals

Sweden vs. USA/Slovakia winner, 2:30 p.m. Saturday

Canada vs. Russia/Czech winner, 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Medal games

Bronze, 2:30 p.m. Monday

Gold, 6:30 p.m. Monday

I am having a very hard time deciding if I want Canada or the US to win. I`m currently in Canada, and obviously everyone here is cheering for them and I feel it would be stupid to cheer against any Canadian team while I`m here. But I also have pride in my team, too, so it`s very confusing lol

I`m not cheering for Canada because my boyfriend is Canadian. I`m cheering for Canada because they`re a great team and deserve to win. Don`t criticize me just because I`m cheering against 99% of you. I`m allowed to cheer for whoever I want thanks.

On Tuesday you couldn't decide who you wanted to cheer for and on Wednesday you said that you were cheering for Team Canada because "they're a great team and deserve to win." What changed over the course of 24 hours? Did you just figure out that Canada is a "great team" or did you decide to jump on the Team Canada bandwagon because you are currently surrounded by Canadians?

i think they're jealous he's not on team canada. :lol: i mean, if memory serves, isn't he from winnipeg? i assume he has dual citizenship...

You would be correct, as it has been pointed out in the sports media before that he has taken exactly the same path as Brett Hull, with a Canadian father who was a NHL player, played his youth hockey in Winnipeg, the dual citizenship, the US college route and playing for the USA. It is from the Winnipeg connection that he became one of Jonathan Toews best friends.

I also read some of the comments about Tavares. He is great player otherwise he wouldn't have broken most of Wayne Gretzky's junior scoring records and he did score the two important first goals but there was another unsung hero who I would have selected as Canada's player of the game, Cody Hodgson. He is the player that won most of the important faceoffs and set up three of Canada's goals. He also hit four goal posts and if one or two had gone in everyone would be talking about him today instead of Tavares.

Finally, Team USA at the U-17 tournament in BC should punch their ticket into the Semis with a win against Slovakia. It may be a chance to watch UND prospect Forbort on TSN this weekend.

I`m not cheering for Canada because my boyfriend is Canadian. I`m cheering for Canada because they`re a great team and deserve to win. Don`t criticize me just because I`m cheering against 99% of you. I`m allowed to cheer for whoever I want thanks.

It's your (American) right to cheer for whomever you choose. A right that was given to you by your forefathers and preserved by the men and women who serve in the (American) Armed Forced today. The Canadians are a great team. Did they deserve to win this game? Debatable. They found a way to win and that is a characteristic of a great team. Pretty much every year, the Gophers are a great team; BC is a great team; Michigan is a great team; but my love for the University of North Dakota and Fighting Sioux hockey is so strong that it's never even been a question who to cheer for.

In international sports, maybe it's my love for North Dakota; or my love that I'm in a country that I can choose to live in 49 different other states without a hassle; or that I live in a country that allows me to be as liberal as I am, which drives people like Goon nuts ( :lol: ); or the fact that I grew very close to a lot of the men and women in the 6 years that I served this great country in the United States Navy; or the fact that any time I was in a foreign country, my love for America was as strong as the love I hold for my closest family members; that helps me make the easiest decision in this world...when an American team, regardless of the sport, dons the Red, White, and Blue, my allegiance is to the one and only, good 'ol United States.

GO USA!!!

It's your (American) right to cheer for whomever you choose. A right that was given to you by your forefathers and preserved by the men and women who serve in the (American) Armed Forced today. The Canadians are a great team. Did they deserve to win this game? Debatable. They found a way to win and that is a characteristic of a great team. Pretty much every year, the Gophers are a great team; BC is a great team; Michigan is a great team; but my love for the University of North Dakota and Fighting Sioux hockey is so strong that it's never even been a question who to cheer for.

In international sports, maybe it's my love for North Dakota; or my love that I'm in a country that I can choose to live in 49 different other states without a hassle; or that I live in a country that allows me to be as liberal as I am, which drives people like Goon nuts ( :lol: ); or the fact that I grew very close to a lot of the men and women in the 6 years that I served this great country in the United States Navy; or the fact that any time I was in a foreign country, my love for America was as strong as the love I hold for my closest family members; that helps me make the easiest decision in this world...when an American team, regardless of the sport, dons the Red, White, and Blue, my allegiance is to the one and only, good 'ol United States.

GO USA!!!

Well said. I am having no problem cheering for my beloved Canada, but, my hat is off to the Americans who do care about this game. Thanks for playing it with such skill and passion -- the way we intended for it to be played. Unlike the Europeans. I would be livid if our basketball team ever played the U.S. in America and the crowd booed our players, our Maple Leaf, and our anthem. There's no excuse.

No your not! GO USA! That gong show of a fanbase, wow! How embarassing! :lol:

I also read some of the comments about Tavares. He is great player otherwise he wouldn't have broken most of Wayne Gretzky's junior scoring records and he did score the two important first goals but there was another unsung hero who I would have selected as Canada's player of the game.

I don't think any of us are over looking the fact that Tavares is a great player. Personally I was not impressed with his antics and I just think he acted like a punk last night. I do think the reffing in the game last night was poor like someone mentioned and they could have stopped the unsportsman like antics right a way at the beginning of the game. If Tavares does his antics in the NHL he going to get it handed to him.

I don't think any of us are over looking the fact that Tavares is a great player. Personally I was not impressed with his antics and I just think he acted like a punk last night. I do think the reffing in the game last night was poor like someone mentioned and they could have stopped the unsportsman like antics right a way at the beginning of the game. If Tavares does his antics in the NHL he going to get it handed to him.

and add the antics of every usa player that scored as well , the first 3 goals. he was responding those those and all the players got caught up being dumbasses overall. emotional game will bring that out but all plaers were doing it. not just tavares.

You know I was wondering where the hot dogging was coming from but Don Cherry revealed something in the first intermission of the Winter Classic that I didn't see from my nosebleed seat last night. It turns out that Hayes from Team USA may have in fact triggered alot of what happend in last night's game as after his goal he went past Team Canada's bench and cupped his hand to his ear. I remember that actions like that use to fire up Sioux teams and it obviously fired up Team Canada although the goals alone should have done the talking and Tavares didn't have to give it back to them.

You know I was wondering where the hot dogging was coming from but Don Cherry revealed something in the first intermission of the Winter Classic that I didn't see from my nosebleed seat last night. It turns out that Hayes from Team USA may have in fact triggered alot of what happend in last night's game as after his goal he went past Team Canada's bench and cupped his hand to his ear. I remember that actions like that use to fire up Sioux teams and it obviously fired up Team Canada although the goals alone should have done the talking and Tavares didn't have to give it back to them.

The reason I like Hockey and detest Basket Brawl is that the NBA if full of Punks and the fact that I hate basketball. Hockey players for the most part are pretty even keel unless they are named Sean Avery. I hope we don't see anymore classless displays by either team.

Hayes may have been the first in line, but at least one or two more of his teammates behind him followed his lead and did the same thing. A very classy thing to do 10 minutes into the game, acting like you have it won. I wanted the US to win but was hoping Canada would get back into it after that display, and was happy to see the game tied. It was a better game after that. There was also more to the scrum than just one Canadian sucker punch, which we've seen clearly on replays on NHL Network today.

You and me don't agree often, but that is exactly what I noticed after one of the early US goals. I couldn't identify the player though.

Tavares can do what he wants. I hate to say it but the US looked like a bunch of babies after JVR got punched.

The US finds a new way to torture it's fans.

A couple thoughts on the game:

~Stupid stupid stupid USA hockey players.....make sure that you wake up a sleeping dog after you score....dumb.....

~The U.S. needs better goaltending. The guy is a first round draft pick, I haven't seen him make any game changing saves.

~That should have definitely been a 5 minute major for hitting from behind on the Canadian player (I can't even remember the guys name). That is absolutely the definition of hitting from behind. The international official got scared of the Canadian crowd....

~John Tavares is a sick freak.....why he isn't in the NHL.....well we can only wonder....

I like the U.S. draw heading into the playoffs. They match up well with Slovakia, and if they get past that one they've had Sweden's number as of late. I like the fact that they avoid playing Russia. The U.S. doesn't need to play an arrogant hockey team with the support of the Canadians behind them. That game could turn into what happened in Grand Forks a couple years ago.

~Stupid stupid stupid USA hockey players.....make sure that you wake up a sleeping dog after you score....dumb.....

~The U.S. needs better goaltending. The guy is a first round draft pick, I haven't seen him make any game changing saves.

~That should have definitely been a 5 minute major for hitting from behind on the Canadian player (I can't even remember the guys name). That is absolutely the definition of hitting from behind. The international official got scared of the Canadian crowd....

~John Tavares is a sick freak.....why he isn't in the NHL.....well we can only wonder....

I like the U.S. draw heading into the playoffs. They match up well with Slovakia, and if they get past that one they've had Sweden's number as of late. I like the fact that they avoid playing Russia. The U.S. doesn't need to play an arrogant hockey team with the support of the Canadians behind them. That game could turn into what happened in Grand Forks a couple years ago.

Yeah somebody should have took out the kid that hit the U.S. player from behind and the player that took out van riemsdyk when canada was celebrating. They should be allowed to fight in international hockey.

Yeah somebody should have took out the kid that hit the U.S. player from behind and the player that took out van riemsdyk when canada was celebrating. They should be allowed to fight in international hockey.

The player who did both dirty deeds was Della Rovere and Goon will recall that I predicted he would be the Downie of this tournament. I think that one game proved me to be correct. However, like the rest of the Canadian team he wasn't wound up or a factor in the game until the stick in the face incident in front of the Team USA bench. That type of play seems to make him go psycho and you could see it in his eyes following the hit on Shattenkirk.

The player who did both dirty deeds was Della Rovere and Goon will recall that I predicted he would be the Downie of this tournament. I think that one game proved me to be correct. However, like the rest of the Canadian team he wasn't wound up or a factor in the game until the stick in the face incident in front of the Team USA bench. That type of play seems to make him go psycho and you could see it in his eyes following the hit on Shattenkirk.

What I don't understand was why wasn't there a penatly on the Bench incident. Yikes. Nothing on either side.

That would have settled the game down if there had been a few penalties.

form brad

U.S. vs. Slovakia game time changed

The IIHF changed the game time for today's (Friday) quarterfinal matchup between the U.S. and Slovakia. It will now be held at 2:30 p.m. The game will be televised by NHL Network. Updated schedule:

Quarterfinals

USA vs. Slovakia, 2:30 p.m. Friday

Russia vs. Czech Republic, 6:30 p.m. Friday

Semifinals

Sweden vs. USA/Slovakia winner, 2:30 p.m. Saturday

Canada vs. Russia/Czech winner, 6:30 p.m. Saturday

Medal games

Bronze, 2:30 p.m. Monday

Gold, 6:30 p.m. Monday

He is not old enough - he will be in the 2009 draft.

Wow.....he will make any team he plays for instantly better. He's got great hands, and that Jonathan Toews scoring touch around the net. He'll be the tournament MOP unless Schroeder does something more magical than he's already done.

Before the U.S. talks about any redemption against Canada they'd better get their heads on straight for today's game with Slovakia.

Wow.....he will make any team he plays for instantly better. He's got great hands, and that Jonathan Toews scoring touch around the net. He'll be the tournament MOP unless Schroeder does something more magical than he's already done.

Before the U.S. talks about any redemption against Canada they'd better get their heads on straight for today's game with Slovakia.

tavares has been hyped as the top player in the world for the last 3-4 years but this last year a couple others have jumped up to maybe grab that #1 draft spot coming this summer. he is a hell of a player and will help a nhl team right away.

he was considered a lock at the top pick a couple years back. he still may go there but victor hedman has been up there who is from sweden and is a 6'6 d man.

some mock drafts

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...raft/index.html

i wish morin would suprise some and go to UND over east coast schools or major juniors which he probably will end up. still dont get how he was left off the usa wjt team but oh well. coaches have their reasons