SiouxSports.com Forum

World Junior Tourney

AZSIOUX

I am as disappointed as the next guy with this showing, but in their defense they did badly outplay the Slovakia team today. The Slovakian goalie had 44 saves (many of them outstanding) compared to McCollum's 14. McCollum may very well be the best goalie and deserved to be on the team and to start, but he shat the bed today and should have been pulled. I agree with whoever said it that this started vs. Canada, when they started showboating in front of the Canadian bench. Instead of being pissed about the sucker punch, Rolston should have given his players an a** chewing for their antics against Canada. A game is not 10 minutes long, and Canada is the WRONG team to be doing that against. It shouldn't happen against any team, especially Canada. This has become too commonplace for US teams to have such an embarassing showing at this tournament, and it needs to change.

McCollum and the defense stunk all tourney. I think Rolston is in way over his head as well. Not sure why they don't get top level college coaches to give it a shot like they have done in the past.

I'd feel much better with virtually any WCHA coach behind the bench vs. Rolston. He certainly didn't prepare his team to face success vs. the Canadians. As the Slovaks showed today with proper planning it really isn't that tough to stop a powerful opponent when your ahead 2-3 goals.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple thoughts about the game/US. in general.....

~They need a coach that has some discipline...this team played with very little. I say give Red Berensen a turn.

~McCollum was horrible. I don't care what his stats are in the OHL, he was brutal. He didn't make any key saves the entire tournament. Why they didn't go to Unice at least one time kind of befuddles me....All of the goals that McCollum gave up today were soft goals....all of them.

~A couple times in the game especially later in the game the U.S. didn't have its top PP unit on the ice (Schroeder, VanR, and Wilson). They did get the PP goal in the third, but other than that late in the second you didn't see much of them on the PP. When it comes to elimination time, and everything is on the line, your studs need to be on the ice, no matter how tired they may be.

~I thought the U.S. defense played very well. Minus that turnover goal off the official. I did call a friend of mine who is an official and he told me that the official shouldn't have even been trailing the play on the wall, and was out of position. That didn't cost the U.S. the game, but another great officiating moment in this tournament. The officiating never surprises me in this tournament.....ever. Its always horrible, and certain guys (Della Rovere) end up getting away with stupid crap because the officials are affraid of the home crowd.

I would like to personally recommend Mike Lee for the goaltending position for next years squad. He'll be in his first year at SCSU and is one of the more solid goaltenders in the USHL at this time. He's also had some success with other U.S. junior teams, as I believe he played on the U17 team or something like that up in Canada and won gold. I hope that McCollum has no eligibility left......I don't understand how he can be a first round draft pick....I just don't....

A couple thoughts about the game/US. in general.....

~They need a coach that has some discipline...this team played with very little. I say give Red Berensen a turn.

~McCollum was horrible. I don't care what his stats are in the OHL, he was brutal. He didn't make any key saves the entire tournament. Why they didn't go to Unice at least one time kind of befuddles me....All of the goals that McCollum gave up today were soft goals....all of them.

~A couple times in the game especially later in the game the U.S. didn't have its top PP unit on the ice (Schroeder, VanR, and Wilson). They did get the PP goal in the third, but other than that late in the second you didn't see much of them on the PP. When it comes to elimination time, and everything is on the line, your studs need to be on the ice, no matter how tired they may be.

~I thought the U.S. defense played very well. Minus that turnover goal off the official. I did call a friend of mine who is an official and he told me that the official shouldn't have even been trailing the play on the wall, and was out of position. That didn't cost the U.S. the game, but another great officiating moment in this tournament. The officiating never surprises me in this tournament.....ever. Its always horrible, and certain guys (Della Rovere) end up getting away with stupid crap because the officials are affraid of the home crowd.

I would like to personally recommend Mike Lee for the goaltending position for next years squad. He'll be in his first year at SCSU and is one of the more solid goaltenders in the USHL at this time. He's also had some success with other U.S. junior teams, as I believe he played on the U17 team or something like that up in Canada and won gold. I hope that McCollum has no eligibility left......I don't understand how he can be a first round draft pick....I just don't....

You may get your wish. In this year's evaluation camp in Lake Placid (Aug 1 - 9) there were 5 goalies:

1. Thomas McCollum - Guelph (OHL)

2. Josh Unice - Kitchener (OHL)

3. Jeremy Smith - Plymouth (OHL)

4. Brandon Maxwell - US Nat'l Under 17

5. Mike Lee

If my math is correct, only Lee and Maxwell will be eligible for next year's tournament. Of course there will be others that are considered next year, but I don't think it's too crazy to think that Lee will be the starter in the next tournament.

I thought I'd do some research...not sure this proves or disproves anything but:

............USA Coach..........Canada Coach

2009.....Ron Rolston.........Pat Quinn

2008.....John Hynes..........Craig Hartsburgh

2007.....Ron Rolston.........Craig Hartsburgh

2006.....Walt Kyle............Brent Sutter

2005.....Scott Sandelin.....Brent Sutter

2004.....John Hynes.........Mario Durocher

2003.....Lou Vairo...........Marc Habscheid

2002.....Keith Allain.........Stan Butler

2001.....Keith Allain.........Stan Butler

2000.....Jeff Jackson........Claude Julien

McCollum and the defense stunk all tourney. I think Rolston is in way over his head as well. Not sure why they don't get top level college coaches to give it a shot like they have done in the past.

I'd feel much better with virtually any WCHA coach behind the bench vs. Rolston. He certainly didn't prepare his team to face success vs. the Canadians. As the Slovaks showed today with proper planning it really isn't that tough to stop a powerful opponent when your ahead 2-3 goals.

I think Team USA needs a NHL coach to run the USA WJC team. Rolston has proved that he can't coach at this level and it is time for the USA to cut its loses.

You may get your wish. In this year's evaluation camp in Lake Placid (Aug 1 - 9) there were 5 goalies:

1. Thomas McCollum - Guelph (OHL)

2. Josh Unice - Kitchener (OHL)

3. Jeremy Smith - Plymouth (OHL)

4. Brandon Maxwell - US Nat'l Under 17

5. Mike Lee

If my math is correct, only Lee and Maxwell will be eligible for next year's tournament. Of course there will be others that are considered next year, but I don't think it's too crazy to think that Lee will be the starter in the next tournament.

I think we have had enough of the OHL/CHL boys it is time to play the best goalie. I think Lee might be a good choice.

I thought I'd do some research...not sure this proves or disproves anything but:

............USA Coach..........Canada Coach

2009.....Ron Rolston.........Pat Quinn

2008.....John Hynes..........Craig Hartsburgh

2007.....Ron Rolston.........Craig Hartsburgh

2006.....Walt Kyle............Brent Sutter

2005.....Scott Sandelin.....Brent Sutter

2004.....John Hynes.........Mario Durocher

2003.....Lou Vairo...........Marc Habscheid

2002.....Keith Allain.........Stan Butler

2001.....Keith Allain.........Stan Butler

2000.....Jeff Jackson........Claude Julien

I can't account for the validity of your full list, but Mike Eaves coached the 2004 team, and they won a gold medal, not John Hynes. Hynes was an assistant though. Maybe we should bring back Eaves?

I can't account for the validity of your full list, but Mike Eaves coached the 2004 team, and they won a gold medal, not John Hynes. Hynes was an assistant though. Maybe we should bring back Eaves?

You are correct...Hynes was an assistant that year. I checked the other years and they look correct.