SiouxSports.com Forum

What did you think ?

Fetch

I thought Walski looked OK he seems to cover the puck well & I don't think we will see many rebound goals (This will be the biggest questions for this year)

Over all this could be one of the most balanced Sioux Teams in recent years

The D is going to be good

& I bet we won't have a lot of trouble putting the puck in the net

They are going to get better (a lot better) .......Duh :D

Nice ceremony before the game too

Thank You Sioux

My two cents:

Goaltending is an "I don't know." Of course most of the time with JPL you didn't know until the last season.

I think top to bottom we're going to be a stronger team than last year. The only exception to that is that nobody (and I mean nobody) can replace a TJ Oshie.

My prediction is that if the goaltending holds we'll be back in the Frozen Four.

(Of course I could be wrong.)

My two cents:

Goaltending is an "I don't know." Of course most of the time with JPL you didn't know until the last season.

I think top to bottom we're going to be a stronger team than last year. The only exception to that is that nobody (and I mean nobody) can replace a TJ Oshie. My prediction is that if the goaltending holds we'll be back in the Frozen Four.

(Of course I could be wrong.)

I agree, there were times I caught myself looking for TJ out there, I saw #4 and was thinking Chorney at times, we will miss those guys. I liked what I saw in Gregoire tonight though.

I was wondering the same thing. I know student tickets sold out.

the deal was....some lazy ass students decided not to use their tickets b/c it was an exhibition. (I'm speculating)... the upper bowl was full. we tried to move down to lower bowl and were DENIED. it better not be a trend b/c i'm just thinking about all those who tried to get season tickets and were denied...those people could have filled those seats.

the deal was....some lazy ass students decided not to use their tickets b/c it was an exhibition. (I'm speculating)... the upper bowl was full. we tried to move down to lower bowl and were DENIED. it better not be a trend b/c i'm just thinking about all those who tried to get season tickets and were denied...those people could have filled those seats.

Yep, I am with you.

Edit: The goofy ticket system favors the "non-hardcores." Not cool.

Yep, I am with you.

Edit: The goofy ticket system favors the "non-hardcores." Not cool.

It does, but I would consider myself pretty diehard and I got season tickets... it's flawed b/c some of the diehards get seats, as well as the lazy bums. I would say the majority of the diehards were in upper bowl tonight. Even waiting in line before the doors opened, most in line were upper bowl b/c when they let lower bowl in, only about 10 people went in i'd say.

I was really impressed with Marto, Trupp, Gregoire, Miller, Hextall, Mario L, etc.

Marto seemed more confident than last year. He really moved the puck well and got a good chunk of shots on net. I bet he has a great year.

Not much more can be said about Trupp. It's just good to have him back out there. His no look pass for Kozek's goal was a beaut.

Gregoire will be really good. Heck of a shot on his goal. Wish we could have seen Toews too...

Miller looks faster, and seemed to do well on the point on the 1st line PP.

I like both Hextall and Mario's gritty play. They both should score plenty of garbage goals in front. Good stuff.

I think Davidson should have played more. If they are talking him up this preseason, why not give him more minutes. He has trememdous size he can take advantage of. Give him an oppurtunity to show if he's got anything. I know there are only so many minutes to go around and so many players that need them, but I think he got jipped a little.

This team will be deep, I love what was displayed. We will have more options of great d-man and forwards, and great players will have to be scratched. I think this is the most balanced team I've seen in a while. We have everyone role of player you would need. This should as always be an interesting year. I expect banner #8 with this class of freshman not playing like freshman all year!

I was pleased to see them shoot the puck (with the exception of one power play where they made way too many passes only to lose the zone without a shot). Can't remember the last time we had 50+ shots in a game. I also felt that our depth could be a factor down the road. In recent years, other teams needed only to focus on shutting down our top line to have success. It appears that will not be an easy task this year. I'm not sure which line is our top line which is a good thing. Let's hope they come home from Boston 2-0.

Before we start sewing banners to hang in The Ralph, one needs to remember last night's game was Manitoba's third in as many nights. Also, the Sioux have pretty much had target practice on the Bison(s) goalie the last few years: 07 the shots were 42-13; 06 37-20; and 05 49-18. The last "real" game Manitoba put up was in 04 when the Sioux outshot the Bison(s) just 24-19 while winning 8-3.

I watched on television, so I'm sure I missed a lot of nuances in performance, but there were plenty of encouraging signs. It is early, though, and one has to consider the competition. BU will be a better indication of this team's talent.

First the negative:

Fienhage was lost and looked like he did not belong.

Toews did not play.

Now the neutral:

VV didn't seem to do much.

I will wait on Miller. We've had previous early season flashes, only to disappear during the meat part of the season. He did some good things but can he keep it up.

I will also wait on goaltending. While not bad, there were times where I didn't feel comfortable.

And finally the positive:

Trupp was all over the ice and is going to be a factor this year, in all aspects of the game.

Gregoire is going to be good. He has vision, speed, puck handling ability, not afraid of the contact, and a cool head. He actually stepped into a fracas to separate an upper classman from a Bison player. His goal was a sniper goal. Upper shelf short side to the water bottle.

Mario Lamoreux shows promise as does Hextall.

Blood looked pretty good for his first game.

Kozek looked good, Zajac looked good, the upperclassmen D looked good.

Ryan Duncan was Ryan Duncan.

This team looks to be quite deep. There was a lot of unselfish play. I know I haven't mentioned some, but there was good effort from Martens and the others that were a positive sign. Of course, this was Manitoba.

I agree with the previous post that I think the Ice-Breaker this weekend is going to give us an idea of where this team is at this point. And Hakstol teams seem to improve over the season, especially the second half.

And it was a pretty good turnout for an exhibition game, although the student section attendance wasn't what it should be.

fienhage is straight from highschool, blood has a year of ushl under his belt. blood is probably more advanced right now but its going to be fun to watch both of these guys develop. both are very big with a lot of skill. from brads blog it seemes toews will be playing this weekend as he practiced the last week but they just didnt play him to be safe. gregoire and toews will both be impact freshman which we need on this team. im guessing both goalies will play a game out east as well. will be a nice road game test at BU on friday. one more note was malone and zajac were great on face offs vs manitoba.