SiouxSports.com Forum

School of Communication to be dissolved

Hammersmith

UND plans to dissolve School of Communication

No faculty or majors will be cut; they will be split up among different existing departments.

Thoughts? I'm not familiar enough with the SoC to know if this is a big deal or not. I know they've had issues in the past(very public ones), and it seems like the faculty and students feel the administrative stucture is too posioned to continue. There should be more info coming out tonight or in tomorrow's Herald.

edit: updated link to the expanded story

As an SCOMM grad and the son and brother of two others this makes me sick. The University leadership has allowed one of the strongest programs at the University totally wither on the vine. There was a time when UND Journalism was among the finest in the nation, right there with the likes of Kansas and Northwestern. Since the 80s it's been on a sad, steady decline resulting first in losing accreditation and now apparently this dissolution. What an absolute waste.

I'm looking forward to hear the specifics of this realignment, but I have difficulty believing there will be no losses. The saddest thing is that the school has still been putting out a lot of really outstanding successful students who are making a mark nationwide. Really a sad day for the U.

I feel bad for the students that went through the program, because undoubtedly, many of them have gone on to successful careers. That being said, the program was an embarassment. A more accurate name for the department would have been the "drama" department because of all the controversy/turmoil that seemed to exist.

Mike Jacobs(publisher & editor of the Herald) gives his thoughts on the situation. He seems to have some personal experience with SCOMM.

UND ends School of Communication crisis

Jacobs bottom line...

So, the dissolution of the School of Communication strikes me as a good thing.

It clears the air. It preserves the curriculum and it shows that decision-making is possible on campus once again.

Opened up todays fishwrap and found out at least ONE SCOMM faculty member is branching out...trying her hand at an editorial cartoons? that's nice to see! :)

Perhaps she has a future at the New Yorker! I've never laughed at ONE of their cartoons ever and the "point" you were trying to make was totally lost on anyone who has never read "Lord of the Rings" -- GOOD ONE LG!!

You're the Dennis Miller of crudely drawn pencil doodling...and I hope there is NO PLACE for you at UND in the restructuring! You were part of the downfall of SCOMM (along with migraine girl) by pursuing your own selfish interests instead of teaching kids fundamentals and letting them find their own way - that's what most good TEACHERS do! Inspire not instigate! I'm genuinely sad SCOMM is going away but at this point...it was a mercy killing.

Opened up todays fishwrap and found out at least ONE SCOMM faculty member is branching out...trying her hand at an editorial cartoons? that's nice to see! :)

Perhaps she has a future at the New Yorker! I've never laughed at ONE of their cartoons ever and the "point" you were trying to make was totally lost on anyone who has never read "Lord of the Rings" -- GOOD ONE LG!!

You're the Dennis Miller of crudely drawn pencil doodling...and I hope there is NO PLACE for you at UND in the restructuring! You were part of the downfall of SCOMM (along with migraine girl) by pursuing your own selfish interests instead of teaching kids fundamentals and letting them find their own way - that's what most good TEACHERS do! Inspire not instigate! I'm genuinely sad SCOMM is going away but at this point...it was a mercy killing.

The Herald doesn't put their editorial cartoons on the website, do they?

I've never laughed at ONE of their cartoons ever and the "point" you were trying to make was totally lost on anyone who has never read "Lord of the Rings" -- GOOD ONE LG!!

Seriously? The Lord of the Rings films are some of the biggest moneymakers of all time -- i.e., the most watched. If you didn't get that reference, you've been living under a rock or in a cave.

And, you've NEVER laughed at a New Yorker cartoon? Really? I admit, a lot aren't funny or their humor is very context-specific. But what it really sounds like you're saying is that you haven't read a lot of them (which may be a legitimate point), you just don't get them, or they're not funny.

How likely is it that for a magazine publishing a dozen or so cartoons every week for years on end would not have funny ones? C'mon, time for a reality check.

It sounds a little bit like you're celebrating your ignorance. Hasn't there been enough of that lately? I think people who revel in what they don't know should keep quiet more often. They remind me of the jackasses in high school who thought too much of themselves for "fancy book larnin'."

Idiocracy, here we come.

Seriously? The Lord of the Rings films are some of the biggest moneymakers of all time -- i.e., the most watched. If you didn't get that reference, you've been living under a rock or in a cave.

And, you've NEVER laughed at a New Yorker cartoon? Really? I admit, a lot aren't funny or their humor is very context-specific. But what it really sounds like you're saying is that you haven't read a lot of them (which may be a legitimate point), you just don't get them, or they're not funny.

How likely is it that for a magazine publishing a dozen or so cartoons every week for years on end would not have funny ones? C'mon, time for a reality check.

It sounds a little bit like you're celebrating your ignorance. Hasn't there been enough of that lately? I think people who revel in what they don't know should keep quiet more often. They remind me of the jackasses in high school who thought too much of themselves for "fancy book larnin'."

Idiocracy, here we come.

So what's your point? The LOTR movies were popular...(there WERE books before the movies just FYI!) and an elitist magazine you've probably never read MIGHT have had 1 funny cartoon in their entire 83 year history? Okay - I concede...PROBABLY...but you missed the Seinfeld reference...might just be my "fancy book LARNIN" education I received at (SUPRISE) UND!

SCOMM major

Minor in Policital Science

Minor in History

It's where I learned "REAL BOOK LARNIN" which I assume refers to actually reading real books? God forbid! This might suprise you honey but LOTR were literary classics LONG BEFORE they were movies (Sorry to burst your IDIOCRACY bubble there but my college education actually made me curious about a lot of things which I look up and read about instead of grabbing on to a moronic catchphrase like "IDIOCRACY" that sounds cool but you couldn't explain or defend to save your life!)

THE POINT WAS....the people in charge of the SCOMM program when it lost it's accreditation and the faculty who've done NOTHING to help restore it are to blame and frankly they don't deserve to be "reassigned" or even have jobs in the department they destroyed...most should be fired and that includes LG!

Sometimes you just need to deal with a long-festering blemish to return to health.

Props to you Dr. Kelley for popping that zit, but make sure to mop up the puss and dispose of it accordingly.

that philosophy sounds like "HIGH BOOK LARNIN" to me!! :(:( Cut out the deadwood! Who cares if they've been here 20+ years....they've done nothing to ADD to an academic debate - just throw gas on it. Yeah I hope Dr. Kelley wipes the puss of this wound...it would be helpful!

• 9 years later...
On September 26, 2008 at 2:58 PM, Hammersmith said:

UND plans to dissolve School of Communication

No faculty or majors will be cut; they will be split up among different existing departments.

Thoughts? I'm not familiar enough with the SoC to know if this is a big deal or not. I know they've had issues in the past(very public ones), and it seems like the faculty and students feel the administrative stucture is too posioned to continue. There should be more info coming out tonight or in tomorrow's Herald.

edit: updated link to the expanded story

Hammersmith was right on top of this. The 2008 Higher Ed Board  guys in Fargo maybe let the cat out of the bag. Robert Kelley was hired July 1 2008. Communications School desolved September 2008. Many cuts to come In his time here. 

The majors will be split up among different existing departments. Ten years later what's left of these majors? Anyone 

2 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Hammersmith was right on top of this. The 2008 Higher Ed Board  guys in Fargo maybe let the cat out of the bag. Robert Kelley was hired July 1 2008. Communications School desolved September 2008. Many cuts to come In his time here. 

The majors will be split up among different existing departments. Ten years later what's left of these majors? Anyone 

Why do you keep bringing up dead threads, like do you need attention?

• Upvote 1

Moser,  are you that crank on KNOX Radio who calls in under the pseudonym ”UND in 3 years guy”??  Your rants on here are awfully similar to his on the radio. 

Dude,  UND is a big organization with lots of moving parts.  Things are not the same as they were in 2008. Some things are worse off, others are far better off, and still others don’t exist at all anymore, for better or for worse. Such is the evolution of a big public organization that thrives or struggles depending on the prices of oil and wheat, and that has a transient population that moves on every 4-6 years. It’s been changing since 1883.  Ever hear the old saying “you can’t go home again”?  Dynamic organizations like colleges and cities are not static. They change — constantly.  So please spare us the threads from 2008, and in the immortal words of Aaron Rodgers: “R-E-L-A-X.”  Just because the grass always looks greener on the other side doesn’t mean it necessarily is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

U of M, U SD, ST. Cloud St, UM Duluth, Mankato St. All have a Communication  Program. NDSU  has Department of Communications 350 undergrads 50 grad students. Hammersmith couldn't wait to start this thread.  Kelley was there man and maybe more on campus    And they knew UND was going to take big hits to end 100 years  of frustration.  They were excited.

Ryan Cunningham on KNOX no liberal said this after moving her from Bsmarck. The power people not your average joe dislike UND and GF and it shows. 

38 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Nuke the thread.

All in favor?

1964 Movie Doctor Strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb. Slim Pickins rides the bomb to destroy the Ruskes. Nuke the threat. Slim Pickins UNDs story the past 15 years.