SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

I agree with AZ.

I thought Wheeler was showing every sign of being a bust being picked #5 overall. He was good at Blake. But he wasn't tearing up the USHL (Brad Miller almost kept up with him for much of the season I can remember) and he wasn't really that dominant at UMN. In fact, I'd say Stoa has been more dominant in limited time than Wheeler was.

So he bolts just to brush off Phoenix (which again surprised me because Gretzky was absolutely star struck with him) and signed with Boston. And now he's pretty gosh darn good. Who knew.

I knew Vanek and Kessel would be good at the NHL level. I didn't expect Kessel to be as good as he is this soon after turning pro. It took Vanek longer, IIRC.

Yeah, Gopher obsession continues.

But let's go elsewhere:

1. Who'dathunk that Army's Dan Hinote would have a long NHL career?

2. How about former Vermont goaltender Tim Thomas?

3. Andrew Murray of BSU... REally?

4. Ok, less so, but what about Andy Greene from either OSU or Miami or some red and white colored jersey from the CCHA?

5. Of course, Vermont's Martin St. Louis, UMD's (briefly) Brett Hull...

There's a long list. Hey, just remembered. Joel Otto. He's had a huge career. Not hall of fame. Certain not all star either. But how many DII/DIII players (BSU was DII or DIII at the time) can you think of that played more than 5 years in the NHL? Joel played 15! the only other player I can think of was DIII Norwich's Keith Aucoin. However, he's only played parts of 4 seasons in the NHL and never more than 38 games during any single season.

You almost have to count Dustin Penner, though he played D1 for two years. Couldn't make a junior team in Canada and was looking to hire on with somebody as an apprentice electrician, I believe, applied to Bottineau at the last minute, rode the pines quite a bit the first year, then blossomed. For the locals up there, he's a come-from-behind success story.

You almost have to count Dustin Penner, though he played D1 for two years. Couldn't make a junior team in Canada and was looking to hire on with somebody as an apprentice electrician, I believe, applied to Bottineau at the last minute, rode the pines quite a bit the first year, then blossomed. For the locals up there, he's a come-from-behind success story.

I agree.

There are quite a few.

Yann Danis of Brown too. I thought his stats with Brown was because how weak the ECACHL is.

He'll never be a #1 goaltender in the NHL, but I thought he'd never be an NHL goaltender...period.

Toews goal

It's great to see two former Sioux get their first All Star Game goals.

i think you and i could bury one in this game. these games suck. lets see some hitting at least :love::glare:

good to see zahc and jon in it. no all star game next year though with the olympics. im guessing we will see zach on team usa and jonny on team canada so that will be fun to see

Brian Lee just helped the Devils score a goal. ssst.gif

Give that boy an assist.

Edit: Parise is filthy dirty . . . awesome assist on the Devils 3rd goal . . . I'll post the highlight when nhl.com puts it up.

Lee actually had no contact with the puck. However, he didn't clear out Elias like he should've, allowing Elias to bank in the puck off his skate. Not sure if I'd give him an assist, or just say he didn't play it the way he should've.

Lee actually had no contact with the puck. However, he didn't clear out Elias like he should've, allowing Elias to bank in the puck off his skate. Not sure if I'd give him an assist, or just say he didn't play it the way he should've.

I know, that's why I said he helped, not that he actually scored it. I don't think Elias even knew where the puck was; he never looks down at his feet, but he sees the red light go on and assumes Gionta scored.

Here's the link to Parise's head first dive into the boards assist

Stafford didn't cry 'uncle'

Drew Stafford admitted he was a little nervous coming in to play the Edmonton Oilers for the first time in his career.

But it didn't take him long to get the jitters out of his system.

The nephew of Oilers' equipment manager Barrie Stafford scored 10 seconds after the opening faceoff, then potted two more goals in the third period as the Sabres waltzed to a 10-2 win at Rexall Place last night.

Play by play guys on the Hawks/Ducks game tonight really went on for a long time what good things folks in Montreal were saying about Toews and what a great example he has set for the city of Chicago and the Hawks. Compared him to the Golden Jet the way he always has time for fans.

Play by play guys on the Hawks/Ducks game tonight really went on for a long time what good things folks in Montreal were saying about Toews and what a great example he has set for the city of Chicago and the Hawks. Compared him to the Golden Jet the way he always has time for fans.

im sure it helps that jonny speaks their language as well. hes gona be one of the greats

im sure it helps that jonny speaks their language as well. hes gona be one of the greats

Watching him tonight, he's starting to do with the Hawks just what he did so well for the Sioux. He controls along the boards and comes out of the corner better than any Sioux player I've seen. He has dominated a couple of shifts that way tonight.