SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Parise with another goal in tonight's Devils/Blues games. Zach went down to his knees on a backhand, Oshie tried to knock Zach's stick off the puck, but didn't get it in time. Fun to watch two former Sioux battle it out.

zpar #1 star and tj #2 star on espn gamesheet - nice!!

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=281230019

Parise with another goal in tonight's Devils/Blues games. Zach went down to his knees on a backhand, Oshie tried to knock Zach's stick off the puck, but didn't get it in time. Fun to watch two former Sioux battle it out.

That was a sweet goal. :sad:

Brian Lee scored his first NHL goal tonight! I am happy he his doing well at the next level. I know there was a lot of criticism of him by fans at UND, but I still feel he will be successful in the NHL. Time will tell, but I think he was greatly under appreciated at the college level, as a lot of good NHL players are.

I think by the time his career is over Parise will be the best Sioux ever in the NHL. He is almost there already.

With Parise being my favorite former Sioux player to watch, I want to agree with you. It's a difficult prediction to make though. He will definitely be one of the greats to ever wear a Sioux jersey. However, you also have a young kid in Chicago, who is a different type player than Zach, and is probably carrying a lot more weight on his shoulders than Zach. Parise's in his 4th year, Toews is in his 2nd year. Also, how do you rank Belfour in there? He was awesome in his prime and has a ring as well, which is the ultimate trophy for these guys. It's a tough argument to make at this time, but it's fun to debate it with fellow fans.

IMO, what puts Parise at a higher level than most players is his "Never give up" attitude. He had this at Shattuck, with the Sioux, in Lowell, and now. Oshie also has this, which is why so many people see him as a similar player to Zach. Parise's willing to go to the front of the net and get roughed up. It took Zach a few years to figure out how exactly to do that in the NHL, but it appears that he's found his way, and I don't think there's any turning him back now. However, if you watched him his first few years in the NHL, he may venture into the slot area, but he wouldn't get his nose dirty like he does now. He started developing that last year. The tip-ins and the rebound goals are the difference for him on the stats sheet. Parise could have had a hat trick last night, as he rang one off the post after a great deke move around the Blues defenseman. His performance was good enough to get him the 3rd Star of the day on the NHL's website.

Looks to me like former SIOUX and goofers are representing the WCHA very well thus far in the NHL.

NHL leading goal scorers

1. Jeff Carter, PHI 27

2. Alex Ovechkin, WAS 25

3. Thomas Vanek, BUF 25

4. Phil Kessel, BOS 23

5. Zach Parise, NJ 21

Points leaders

1. Evgeni Malkin, PIT 59

2. Sidney Crosby, PIT 50

3. Alex Ovechkin, WAS 49

4. Marc Savard, BOS 46

5. Zach Parise, NJ 44

Plus/minus leadres

1. Marc Savard, BOS 25

2. Dennis Wideman, BOS 25

3. Blake Wheeler, BOS 22

4. David Krejci, BOS 21

5. Evgeni Malkin, PIT 20

Shootout goal leaders

1. Wojtek Wolski, COL 6

2. Nikolai Zherdev, NYR 5

3. Drew Stafford, BUF 4

4. Jonathan Toews, CHI 4

5. Milan Hejduk, COL 4

Brian Lee scored his first NHL goal tonight! I am happy he his doing well at the next level. I know there was a lot of criticism of him by fans at UND, but I still feel he will be successful in the NHL. Time will tell, but I think he was greatly under appreciated at the college level, as a lot of good NHL players are.

under appreciated or not. who cares. he was solid at UND and will be a good nhl d man for many years. good for him on the goal!!

I think by the time his career is over Parise will be the best Sioux ever in the NHL. He is almost there already.

ill go with toews over parise for career but time will tell. both will be huge parts of their olympic teams and captains for many years to come. give osh a couple seasons and he will be wearing a letter as well. what a crop that has come through and none of them have rings :lol: just shows how hard it is overall i guess

ill go with toews over parise for career but time will tell. both will be huge parts of their olympic teams and captains for many years to come. give osh a couple seasons and he will be wearing a letter as well. what a crop that has come through and none of them have rings :lol: just shows how hard it is overall i guess

Give em time AZ.Oshie is in his first year,Toews in his second and I believe Parise is in his 4th.Lot of time for those 3 to get rings.

Give em time AZ.Oshie is in his first year,Toews in his second and I believe Parise is in his 4th.Lot of time for those 3 to get rings.

i meant in college rube :huh: not in the nhl. all 3 will get a ring when they all become free agents to sign with the same team :lol:

2004 was definitely the year that should have been. I still remember that damn game against Denver. I think the Sioux hit 4 or 5 posts, and Denver gets lucky on one breakaway. Parise, Bochenski, and Blais should've all stayed for one more year...especially since the next year was the lockout year for the NHL. Oh well, such is history. I love our famed Sioux history but that year really sucked. I think that one hurt more than both the '98 and '99 years where we should have won a title in one of those years too.

2004 was definitely the year that should have been. I still remember that damn game against Denver. I think the Sioux hit 4 or 5 posts, and Denver gets lucky on one breakaway. Parise, Bochenski, and Blais should've all stayed for one more year...especially since the next year was the lockout year for the NHL. Oh well, such is history. I love our famed Sioux history but that year really sucked. I think that one hurt more than both the '98 and '99 years where we should have won a title in one of those years too.

dam that year. my grandpa and i jumped in his suv last minute at midnight and drove 12 hours to the springs from az and then the denver game :lol: outshot them like crazy. that sioux team wasnt gona lose any other way but like you said, oh well. i told my grandpa mid 3rd that one bad bounce and we are screwed and then the deflection goal that snuck by jpar. it was denvers year for sure.

2004 was definitely the year that should have been. I still remember that damn game against Denver. I think the Sioux hit 4 or 5 posts, and Denver gets lucky on one breakaway.

:lol:

I still remember that game too. Berkhoel played out of his mind.

I remember that Hale almost scored like 30 sec into the game on a centering pass, and it made me think about the Holy Cross game the night before where Parise scored less than a minute into the game. But it just wasn't to be...

:huh:

I still remember that game too. Berkhoel played out of his mind.

I remember that Hale almost scored like 30 sec into the game on a centering pass, and it made me think about the Holy Cross game the night before where Parise scored less than a minute into the game. But it just wasn't to be...

the best part of that trip was right in front of us when we beat holy cross and their goalie blew chunks mid game :lol: right on the ice

the best part of that trip was right in front of us when we beat holy cross and their goalie blew chunks mid game :lol: right on the ice

:huh: That was Tony Quesada in his first real big game on the national scene. Felt bad for him, but I definitely remember it. Not sure if it was nerves or something else. He still played a pretty good game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...;name=hradek_ej

winter classic blurb on toews

2. Jonathan Toews: After a bit of a slow start, the Hawks' 20-year-old captain has rediscovered his scoring touch in recent weeks. In his past 15 games, Toews has put up 14 points. The Winnipeg native, selected with the third overall pick in the 2006 draft, starred at the University of North Dakota before joining the Hawks for the 2007-08 season. Toews has great puck skills. So much so that he's able to stick handle through tight traffic.

I went to the Canes-Blues game tonight to see Oshie for the first time since I (and he) left UND. It was odd rooting against him tonight, but I had to. He had no points, but was on the ice for the Blues' only goal (by Backes, so WCHA represented at least). I got lots of great shots of him in the pregame skate and will post those when I have the time to get it all up online.