SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Argh -- Parise just 5-holed Theodore in a shootout in tonight's Caps game. When he lined up for the shot my wife said, "hey, I know that guy", and I said "NO! We're not cheering for him tonight". :lol:

Well, be nice to her....it is hard to keep up with which team you are cheering for on any given night! Just give her a schedule so that she knows already! :(:lol:

And sorry, but I kinda happy with the results of that game!

Only a player for a brief time period, but....

Does anyone know what happened to Hunter Bishop? He is listed on the Ohio State roster, but has not played a game all year. Injuried? Quit? Academics?

Ankle sprain

Oshie also tallied his first of the year, combining that with an assist in a 5-0 Blues win over Anaheim.

Drew Stafford lit the lamp for a 2nd time this year over Atlanta, with the Sabres falling to the Thrashers 4-2.

Parise finished the game with that empty net goal mentioned previously, but also added an assist.

Zajac assisted on Parise's empty netter for his lone point of the night. Devils took care of Carolina in a 2-0 victory.

On the scoreless list of UND alumni playing forward tonight:

Ryan Johnson, who won 5 of 7 faceoffs, didn't add any points in a 2-1 Vancouver win over the not-so-wild Wild from Minnesota.

And, Jason Blake, not to be left out, didn't get on the score sheet in a 4-1 Toronto loss to the Tex's Rangers of New York.

Overall, a pretty good night for former Sioux fowards, who totaled 4 goals, 4 assists, for 8 points (of the 7 forwards in action). I hope I didn't miss anyone.

Since we don't have an NHL thread, and there isn't enough info out there to deem one necessary for this forum, I'll post this here.

According to ESPN.com, Quebec City is planning a $400 million dollar arena to attract a new NHL team to the city. The Nordiques left there in 1995 to form the Colorado Avalanche.

The city hopes the arena will start construction in 2010 and be completed in 2012.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4564924

John Buccigross, an NHL columnist for ESPN, took part in an article where he and a couple others gave their opinion on how they would reshape the NHL to bring it back to prominence. Bucci is a smart guy, and was actually the only one that said the NHL would make for a better audience by adding teams to form about a 40 team NHL. I think his idea would be similar to having slightly smaller arenas in more markets to generate demand and draw fans in by creating buzz....like how Grand Forks can continually sell out 12,000 in a tiny market. Granted, it's all GF really has for a major sports team while many other markets aren't largely into hockey like here, but I can see where Buccigross stands. Most of the new markets would be created in places that left for more southern locales in the 90s...places like Winnipeg.

I thought Joe Finley was playing in Hershey in the AHL but I believe he got sent down to the South Carolina of the ECHL:

http://www.echl.com/cgi-bin/mpublic.cgi?ac...=1&id=19787

Anyone else heard about his status?

Looks like I'll get to see Finley and Zach Jones play against the Everblades on the 28th.

Anyone know what Smaby's status with the Lightning is this year? I see he hasn't played a game yet. I assume he is injured?

I'll also get to see Zajac and Parise against (hopefully) David Hale and Smaby on the 31st.

per brad

Pro hockey roundup

http://www.areavoices.com/undhockey/

We're been wrapped up in UND's rivalry series for the last week-plus, so here's a quick rundown on what former Sioux players have been doing in the pros:

**Jonathan Toews scored his first goal of the season on Saturday night. He has 1-4--5 in 8 games. Toews is third in the NHL in faceoff wins and faceoff winning percentage (60.7). He's also a plus-6, which leads the Blackhawks.

**Ryan Johnson doesn't have any points yet, but he's still playing his type of game. He has more blocked shots than any other Vancouver Canucks forward.

**Drew Stafford has a couple of goals early in the season for the Sabres.

**Taylor Chorney has played three games in the NHL, one more than he did last season.

**Mike Commodore has been injured, but could come back this week. Commodore is on Twitter, by the way, at commie22 (and yes, it is him).

**Matt Greene ranks fourth in the NHL in blocked shots with 21.

**Travis Zajac and Zach Parise are tied for first on the New Jersey Devils in scoring. Zajac ranks 10th in the NHL in faceoff wins.

**Jason Blake ranks third in the NHL in takeaways.

**T.J. Oshie scored his first goal of the season last weekend.

**Ryan Bayda has three goals in the last two games for Wilkes Barre-Scranton. Bayda is looking to get a call up to Pittsburgh.

**Brian Lee is the top defenseman scorer for Binghamton with four points in six games.

**Andrew Kozek is off to a great start for Chicago, tying former Duluth Bulldog Tim Stapleton for the team lead in points (four). Kozek and Rylan Kaip are tied for the team lead in plus-minus with a plus-two. Chicago's coach was ousted today.

**Jean-Philippe Lamoureux has gotten one start for the last-place Portland Pirates in the AHL.

**Jordan Parise grabbed his first win of the season in goal for the ECHL Wheeling.

**Michael Forney is playing for Gwinnett in the ECHL.

**It took Matt Watkins just 6 minutes, 51 seconds to score his first professional goal. It was assisted by Robbie Bina. Their ECHL Las Vegas Wranglers lost, though.

**Former UND D-partners Joe Finley and Zach Jones are playing together at ECHL South Carolina.

**Rick Wilson coached Craig Ludwig at UND. Now, their sons (Landon Wilson and Trevor Ludwig) are teammates on the Texas Stars.

Just caught the end of the Oilers/Canucks game. Oilers win it 2-1 in regulation after a wild final 3 minutes in which Vancouver scored just after time expired. Things look good for former Sioux, Taylor Chroney. Chorney was on the ice with under 2 mintues remaining in the game, trying to keep ex-Bulldog Nathan Raymond off the score sheet. Pat Quinn must have some confidence in the young pro.