SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

How so? The Big 10 is trying to ensure stronger schedules because that will be a criteria for the selection to their playoff.

This board goes crazy whenever a team from a lower division shows up on a North Dakota schedule. Why is it OK for a Big 10 school to schedule lower division schools and not us? :huh:

NCAA rules allow FCS games to count toward playoff eligibility in the FBS, whereas (currently) DII games do not count toward FCS playoff eligibility. The B1G could make sure it's institutions scheduled FCS games again full scholarship FCS programs, then they would see competition similar to the lower level FBS ranks. Instead they are lumping all FCS teams together, 0-63 scholarships, and judging them all the same. Does the B1G see all FBS schools as "the same"? No, there is higher level competition and lower level competition in the FBS ranks also. Frankly, vs. full scholarship FCS teams, the B1G has been getting very good and compeitive games in a high percentage of those matchups.

NCAA rules allow FCS games to count toward playoff eligibility in the FBS, whereas (currently) DII games do not count toward FCS playoff eligibility. The B1G could make sure it's institutions scheduled FCS games again full scholarship FCS programs, then they would see competition similar to the lower level FBS ranks. Instead they are lumping all FCS teams together, 0-63 scholarships, and judging them all the same. Does the B1G see all FBS schools as "the same"? No, there is higher level competition and lower level competition in the FBS ranks also. Frankly, vs. full scholarship FCS teams, the B1G has been getting very good and compeitive games in a high percentage of those matchups.

FCS games count toward BOWL eligibility. We don't really know yet how teams will be selected toward the FBS playoff. FCS games will surely count, but what amount of weight will it carry?

I agree completely with your sentiment. The point I am trying to make, is that the Big 10, and probably more BCS conferences to follow, are trying to put themselves in the best position possible to be included in the 4 team FBS playoff that is on the horizon, and that means bolstering their schedule. I'm very aware that there are many FCS teams that are stronger than a good portion of the bottom of the FBS. I admit I have no idea what the selection criteria will be for a team to make the 4 team playoff. But IMO, if it is some sort of a selection commitee, my guess is that a win in 2012 against Akron, which was the worst team in the MAC, would look better in the eyes of the committee than a win against an NDSU, Sam Houston St., or any other top 10 FCS team, simply due to the fact that a school from the MAC is considered to be at the same "level" as a team from the Big 10, ACC, C-USA, MWC, etc................

FBS and FCS are just different and that is all there is to it. The line may be blurred between the bottom of FBS and the top of FCS, but I truly feel that those at the BCS level see a distinct line there. And the presidents and A.D.'s at the BCS level are the ones who will decide who plays in the 4 team playoff.

• Upvote 1

I really think the B1G schools are going to have to improve their own teams if they want a spot at the CFP. The OOC schedule is only a small part of the SOS. Look at the SEC, their teams are so much better then the B1G that they can schedule all OOC cupcakes and still have a higher SOS.

Eliminating FCS games is not going magically make their teams better. In fact they may very well be worse off because of it!

I really think the B1G schools are going to have to improve their own teams if they want a spot at the CFP. The OOC schedule is only a small part of the SOS. Look at the SEC, their teams are so much better then the B1G that they can schedule all OOC cupcakes and still have a higher SOS.

Eliminating FCS games is not going magically make their teams better. In fact they may very well be worse off because of it!

Doubtful. Ohio St may have very well been in the Nat'l Championship game this year if they were elgible. Its going to cost them more money. I think its just another stepping stone towards the seperation of the big 4 conferences.

Doubtful. Ohio St may have very well been in the Nat'l Championship game this year if they were elgible. Its going to cost them more money. I think its just another stepping stone towards the seperation of the big 4 conferences.

Would have been Ohio State vs. Notre Dame one would imagine...my Irish would have added yet another National Championship to the legend that is South Bend, Indiana.

Would have been Ohio State vs. Notre Dame one would imagine...my Irish would have added yet another National Championship to the legend that is South Bend, Indiana.

The result of that game definitely would have added to what is the "Urban Legend". :bigsmile:

• 3 weeks later...

This Big Ten decision is kind of stupid if you look at it from a strength of schedule side. I mean playing the top teams in FCS would be better then some of the bottom feeders in FBS. It will be interesting how they determine the SOS criteria, if it's simply by the division name it's pretty bogus!

• Upvote 1

This Big Ten decision is kind of stupid if you look at it from a strength of schedule side. I mean playing the top teams in FCS would be better then some of the bottom feeders in FBS. It will be interesting how they determine the SOS criteria, if it's simply by the division name it's pretty bogus!

The fact that there is as much discussion on it as there has been makes me think the B1G has already won the battle. By not playing FCS, they have brought up their SOS in the majority of people's minds whether or not they actually have on paper. Pretty good strategy by them, in people's mind perception becomes reality.

Big Ten scheduling in the news

http://journalstar.c...6ff400c62e.html

Will this affect other sports. Could you imagine Kansas or even Minnesota not scheduling mid to lower teams in basketball. SOS seems to be everything, and a higher seed for the tournament means a good resume, not filled with Dakota teams. I hope this whole thing blows up in the B1G's face.

I'm a fan of an FCS school so I hate this new policy. But if I am a fan of a Big Ten school, I like this philosophy. IMO, to the people that are going to be selecting the 4 playoff teams, a win against the worst 85 scholarship team looks better on the resume than does a win against the best 63 scholarship team.

Will this affect other sports. Could you imagine Kansas or even Minnesota not scheduling mid to lower teams in basketball. SOS seems to be everything, and a higher seed for the tournament means a good resume, not filled with Dakota teams. I hope this whole thing blows up in the B1G's face.

basketball has a ton of games. B1G is also one of if not the best conference. I doubt they'd incorporate it in basketball. If they look at (gasp for darell) RPI, I'm sure they'll still grab local teams.

I'm a fan of an FCS school so I hate this new policy. But if I am a fan of a Big Ten school, I like this philosophy. IMO, to the people that are going to be selecting the 4 playoff teams, a win against the worst 85 scholarship team looks better on the resume than does a win against the best 63 scholarship team.

I don't think this will work out bad for the B1G, because it should boost their strength of schedule. The bad MAC teams are still better than the bad MVFC and Big Sky teams that they are currently scheduling. It probably really cant hurt the top programs. They will all have to pay these MAC teams more than the FCS teams they have been scheduling...since now the smaller schools at least hold some of the cards.

I do think it will not benefit the bad B1G schools like Minnesota, Indiana, lllinois, etc. because they are likely to get another occasional L on their already pretty sad football existence

B1G team, currently, still has a shot at the 4-team playoff. A two-loss team from the B1G is going to have trouble justifying the two losses unless that loss came against another top-10 team.

UND will travel to USD in 2014 per Jeremy Hoeck of the Yankton Press. I assume it has to be the front end of a home and home agreement. Nice, close OOC game. Guess we get to see how UND stacks up against MVFC teams in back to back weeks as UND plays Missouri State the week before.

This also gives UND 12 games for 2014 but only 5 home games. Good OOC schedule with San Jose State, Robert Morris and the two MVFC teams. Homes games will be Robert Morris, Montana (for 3rd year in a row), Portland State, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

Not sure on USD's 2015 schedule, but UND has the 3rd week of the season for an OOC game.

USD's inon-conference schedule is impressive in 2014: Oregon, Montana, UND.

Anyone have any idea on the Missouri St game? I don't recall seeing that on the schedule before but could be wrong. Is it part of some sort of home/home? I can't imagine they paid us money to play one game there.

UND will travel to USD in 2014 per Jeremy Hoeck of the Yankton Press. I assume it has to be the front end of a home and home agreement. Nice, close OOC game. Guess we get to see how UND stacks up against MVFC teams in back to back weeks as UND plays Missouri State the week before.

This also gives UND 12 games for 2014 but only 5 home games. Good OOC schedule with San Jose State, Robert Morris and the two MVFC teams. Homes games will be Robert Morris, Montana (for 3rd year in a row), Portland State, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

Not sure on USD's 2015 schedule, but UND has the 3rd week of the season for an OOC game.

USD's inon-conference schedule is impressive in 2014: Oregon, Montana, UND.

Anyone have any idea on the Missouri St game? I don't recall seeing that on the schedule before but could be wrong. Is it part of some sort of home/home? I can't imagine they paid us money to play one game there.

I don't think you are wrong because I don't recall seeing them on the schedule until today. We will certainly see how we stack up against MVFC.

I noticed UND plays Wyoming and hosts Drake in 2015...still an opportunity to get NDSU on there since only Montana is listed as their OOC game in 2015.

Both teams have week 3 of the season open (Sept 19th). 2015 was always the most tossed around year for the series to restart.

Both teams have week 3 of the season open (Sept 19th). 2015 was always the most tossed around year for the series to restart.

That was to be the first year of the every other year per the contract that disappeared on GT's desk.