SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

And for 2016 it appears we are travelling to Bowling Green for one of the non-conf games.

I hope we can play South Dakota. We need to stay close to the other Dakota schools. Maybe another home and home with the Jacks or even another trip to UNI.

I hope we can play South Dakota. We need to stay close to the other Dakota schools. Maybe another home and home with the Jacks or even another trip to UNI.

Sorry, I don't share your need to stay close to the other Dakota schools. UND chose a different path, one which I am glad they chose. To occasionally play the other Dakota schools is fine, but "need"...no.

• Upvote 2

Sorry, I don't share your need to stay close to the other Dakota schools. UND chose a different path, one which I am glad they chose. To occasionally play the other Dakota schools is fine, but "need"...no.

Home and home's with them are fine. Quality OOC games against teams in one of the stronger conferences. Fans can travel to relatively easy and not much strain on the travel budget for the athletic department. But I agree that "need" is a little strong. We don't "need" to play them for everyone to remember how close the schools are and the history between them.

• Upvote 1

So as far as FBS games go, we have San Jose State in 2014, Wyoming in 2015, and Bowling Green in 2016. If we don't have an FBS win by 2016, I will be disappointed.

I understand going 3-0 against those three is maybe unrealistic, but I'm only asking for 1-2!!

I agree. Considering the amount of local FCS teams (South Dakota, South Dakota State, Ag School of Fargo, Northern Iowa), we should hope to schedule home and homes with most of them. If anything, I think it would be great because when we play those respective teams on the road, a large percentage of our fan base could travel from UND to watch our team on the road. Playing against teams on the west coast doesn't really allow many fans to make it, unless they're willing to pay for a plane ticket and such.

I agree. Considering the amount of local FCS teams (South Dakota, South Dakota State, Ag School of Fargo, Northern Iowa), we should hope to schedule home and homes with most of them. If anything, I think it would be great because when we play those respective teams on the road, a large percentage of our fan base could travel from UND to watch our team on the road. Playing against teams on the west coast doesn't really allow many fans to make it, unless they're willing to pay for a plane ticket and such.

I know we don't "need" to play the teams close to us, but as a fan and money standpoint we do. Those games are cheap. If you can bus to a game instead of fly you are better off, but if you are flying to the east coast, or west coast that's where you could run into a money situation especially if they aren't offering the big bucks to play you. The South Dakota schools would be an easy drive (even if the USD game is in Sioux Falls), UNI wouldn't be bad but if the game is in Indiana, or New York or Texas then you are going to rack up the flyer miles.

How many fans do you reckon UND would bring to a game in Fargo, Brookings, and Vermillion respectively?

How many fans do you reckon UND would bring to a game in Fargo, Brookings, and Vermillion respectively?

Fargo would be as many tickets are availabe, which at this point isn't much.

Brookings and Vermillion would be a decent showing but alot of it would depend on how the team has done on the field that year or previous year. No different from any other school, but history shows that UND does have fans that are willing to travel.

Fargo would be as many tickets are availabe, which at this point isn't much.

Brookings and Vermillion would be a decent showing but alot of it would depend on how the team has done on the field that year or previous year. No different from any other school, but history shows that UND does have fans that are willing to travel.

UND has fans that travel well.......for hockey. Can't even get people to travel to the west end of town to the Alerus to watch a HOME game!!

• Upvote 2

UND has fans that travel well.......for hockey. Can't even get people to travel to the west end of town to the Alerus to watch a HOME game!!

In recent years, the travel has not been all that impressive to say the least, but it wasn't all that long ago where UND fans did travel in decent numbers to away football games. There is a core group of fans/tailgaters that would make the trip to Brookings or Vermillion regardless. And if the team is doing well or coming off a successful season, I think there would be a decent showing.

• Upvote 1

In recent years, the travel has not been all that impressive to say the least, but it wasn't all that long ago where UND fans did travel in decent numbers to away football games. There is a core group of fans/tailgaters that would make the trip to Brookings or Vermillion regardless. And if the team is doing well or coming off a successful season, I think there would be a decent showing.

Besides the Fargodome I have been to one road game and it was Bemdiji State (1995 63-0). The entire away stands (where I sat) and half of the home stands were packed with UND fans. If its only 100 miles away or within a few hours then UND fans should have no problem attending away games.

• Upvote 1

Besides the Fargodome I have been to one road game and it was Bemdiji State (1995 63-0). The entire away stands (where I sat) and half of the home stands were packed with UND fans. If its only 100 miles away or within a few hours then UND fans should have no problem attending away games.

I was there as well. Great turnout by the fans, beautiful night for a game next to Lake Bemidji and the butt-kicking was fun too! :)

Of course, 1995 started out with excitement and expectations for our team. We had been to the national semifinals back to back years and we were all excited with the prospect of taking the next step as a program. If we can get back to those expectations and excitement level with the program, we'll see more people at the Alerus Center and more people travel for road games.

I was there as well. Great turnout by the fans, beautiful night for a game next to Lake Bemidji and the butt-kicking was fun too! :)

Of course, 1995 started out with excitement and expectations for our team. We had been to the national semifinals back to back years and we were all excited with the prospect of taking the next step as a program. If we can get back to those expectations and excitement level with the program, we'll see more people at the Alerus Center and more people travel for road games.

And we did see that this past season. Attendance did grow, not sellout type crowds but with the playoffs in our future instead of just a conference title the excitement is growing (although slowly) and if UND can knock off Valpo, SDSU, and the Montanas, go 4-0 before the bye week that excitement should grow even more. As for the UND-BSU game in 1995. That atmosphere with the lake beyond the endzone was a sight I have never seen before. Beautiful campus, and of course the butt-kicking was great.

• Upvote 1

Depends on tickets available. But each of their stadiums would be packed.

I want the Dakota schools on the schedule as much as anyone, but to think UND fans have a strong interest in traveling anywhere for football other than Fargo is a stretch. Sure, there would be some UND fans in Brookings and Vermillion, but not enough to pack their stadiums. Granted, the weather was terrible, but the last time UND played in Brookings, the attendance was 3,918.

I want them on the schedule because I like rivalries and familiar opponents. I also think it's a financially wise decision to make for all schools -- you get home and homes against familiar opponents, no reasonable likelihood of a school backing out of the contract, and you can bus to the away game. Seems like a no-brainer for everyone involved.

I want the Dakota schools on the schedule as much as anyone, but to think UND fans have a strong interest in traveling anywhere for football other than Fargo is a stretch. Sure, there would be some UND fans in Brookings and Vermillion, but not enough to pack their stadiums. Granted, the weather was terrible, but the last time UND played in Brookings, the attendance was 3,918.

I want them on the schedule because I like rivalries and familiar opponents. I also think it's a financially wise decision to make for all schools -- you get home and homes against familiar opponents, no reasonable likelihood of a school backing out of the contract, and you can bus to the away game. Seems like a no-brainer for everyone involved.

In the case of certain athletic directors, egos and chips on shoulders outweigh logic.

• Upvote 1

UND 3-8 vs SDSU 5-6, and with UND still a DII transfer it wasn't the greatest show in Brookings. But when you have 2 teams playing for a playoff berth, and with the game earlier in the season (due to conference play) I think the crowd will be a lot bigger.

• Upvote 1

UND 3-8 vs SDSU 5-6, and with UND still a DII transfer it wasn't the greatest show in Brookings. But when you have 2 teams playing for a playoff berth, and with the game earlier in the season (due to conference play) I think the crowd will be a lot bigger.

I was there. It was brutally cold and windy that day. I stuck it out until the end, but it was not easy.

However, the parents and friends of players from WI, IL, MN, etc. would sure like more games that they could drive to.

While the excitement of competing in the BSC and the particpating school's locations is appealing to many players, parents, girlfriends, etc. would sure like a game that was only a 200-300 hundred miles from their homes vs. the many hundred miles they would need to travel to Grand Forks.

I was there. It was brutally cold and windy that day. I stuck it out until the end, but it was not easy.

I was at the game also. I got a chance to meet several of the players parents while tailgating. I did not like the results but I still had good time. I think you still need to schedule home/home with UNI, USD and SDSU. Don't see home and home working with NDSU because of the 6 home game requirement.

I was at the game also. I got a chance to meet several of the players parents while tailgating. I did not like the results but I still had good time. I think you still need to schedule home/home with UNI, USD and SDSU. Don't see home and home working with NDSU because of the 6 home game requirement.

I know it's a while ago, but isn't Fargodome pretty much like a home game anyway?