SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

I don't disagree with you...however, I just don't see who else fits. I don't see Gregoire and Toews with Duncan even more than I have trouble seeing Frattin up there. The only guy that might fit is Watkins, but then you separate Watkins and VV....but maybe Gregoire fits on that line and Frattin moves to third.... Either way, I think we will see Hak juggling lines all season...

I actually don't know if being on the first line or third line is going to matter all that much due to all of the sioux's

dept at the forward positions.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with you...however, I just don't see who else fits. I don't see Gregoire and Toews with Duncan even more than I have trouble seeing Frattin up there. The only guy that might fit is Watkins, but then you separate Watkins and VV....but maybe Gregoire fits on that line and Frattin moves to third.... Either way, I think we will see Hak juggling lines all season...

I could see VV centering Kozek and Duncan. Duncan and Kozek finished the season on the same line last year and VV has probably earned a chance to be our #1 center.

I could also see Gregoire and Toews being together on a line - with maybe Watkins or Malone on the other wing.

maybe i missed it in another post, but have they announced the captains yet?

Captains usually aren't announced until right before the season starts. I don't have the e-mail about Kaip anymore, but i would venture a guess as to say we won't hear until about a week before the season starts.

*sorry, i can't type or spell! here or hear? same thing! :silly:

Captains usually aren't announced until right before the season starts. I don't have the e-mail about Kaip anymore, but i would venture a guess as to say we won't hear until about a week before the season starts.

*sorry, i can't type or spell! here or hear? same thing! :silly:

Funny I knew what you meant. :silly:

I can't remember ever feeling so shoulder-shruggy about who is on the first, second, or third lines, the team has so many options at forward. I have been excited about offense the Sioux will be putting on the ice this year, but am I just failing to realize that this might be a steady but average offense? I really don't think so, but do any of you smarter types see that happening?

I can't remember ever feeling so shoulder-shruggy about who is on the first, second, or third lines, the team has so many options at forward. I have been excited about offense the Sioux will be putting on the ice this year, but am I just failing to realize that this might be a steady but average offense? I really don't think so, but do any of you smarter types see that happening?

Bolded is the operative term. There have been many teams, Sioux teams included, that had a lot of flash and flair but gotten nowhere. Meanwhile, the most consist teams offensive, defensive, and goaltending gets farther. Look at Michigan State as a great example. Actually BC fills this bill too.

I'm certainly not a "smarter type" but I will hazard my own opinion. I think the Sioux have a lot of options at forward like you say. I also think there is a lot of potential. What there isn't is a lot of proven high end performance. Hopefully the Sioux will have some surprise high end scoring emerge, or else some very good depth of solid scoring through the lineup. Best is a combo of both but we'll just have to wait to see. We certainly have some good players. I think the question with some of them is HOW good, and just how deep it goes.

I'm certainly not a "smarter type" but I will hazard my own opinion. I think the Sioux have a lot of options at forward like you say. I also think there is a lot of potential. What there isn't is a lot of proven high end performance. Hopefully the Sioux will have some surprise high end scoring emerge, or else some very good depth of solid scoring through the lineup. Best is a combo of both but we'll just have to wait to see. We certainly have some good players. I think the question with some of them is HOW good, and just how deep it goes.

No doubt goaltending is the number one question for this season. As the goaltending goes so will go the season. The Sioux forwards can match up with any team in the WCHA. The D is solid but Marto and LaPoint need to take a couple more steps froward....especially LaPoint. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey....but look at Muse last year for BC, he was a frosh and got it done. Not to mention Kangas and Bachmann. In summary.... in Eidness we trust!!

No doubt .but look at Muse last year for BC, he was a frosh and got it done. Not to mention Kangas and Bachmann. In summary.... in Eidness we trust!!

Good point and I think that is what we are going to be looking for from Eidness, also Bachman was a freshman as well...

I don't think I would describe UND offensive talent as average. I think well balanced would be more realistic.

I think Goaltending is the only "?" everything else looks pretty solid.

You can have an offense that is balanced and average.

Whlle we only lost Oshie and Kaip up front, replacing TJ's points isn't a lock with the new players coming in/or veteran players stepping up. We also need to replace almost 50 points from the blueline with Bina and Chorney leaving.

I do think our scoring will be down from last year. TJ will be hard to replace.

Well, according to a commenter on Brad's blog, the goaltending job is Walski's to lose.

In other words, it's nice to see the Woog mentality converted to North Dakota still alive and well.

In any case, we do have three inexperienced goaltenders, two of which are freshmen this year. One (Harrington) will no doubt get very little (if any) game experience. Walski will indeed get his shot, but so will Eidsness.

If you liked last year's arrangement of one goaltender most of the year, then you'll hate this season. Welcome back, goaltender rotation.

Well, according to a commenter on Brad's blog, the goaltending job is Walski's to lose.

In other words, it's nice to see the Woog mentality converted to North Dakota still alive and well.

In any case, we do have three inexperienced goaltenders, two of which are freshmen this year. One (Harrington) will no doubt get very little (if any) game experience. Walski will indeed get his shot, but so will Eidsness.

If you liked last year's arrangement of one goaltender most of the year, then you'll hate this season. Welcome back, goaltender rotation.

You got all that from a blog's comment section?

Who's to say the job isn't Walski's to lose? Have you seen the off-season workouts? Have you seen the on-ice practices? How has Walski looked? Is Eidsness even in GF yet? Have you compared them side by side? How many games have you witnessed either goalie play? And what about Harrington? You state: "will no doubt get very little (if any) game experience" How do you know this? I have no idea who the goalie will be this year for the Sioux. That is why coaches coach; players play; and fans get to watch, whine, bitch, and cheer.

Did Hakstol tell you about there being a goalie rotation this year? I bet he doesn't even know if there will be one; and the chances of him asking for approval from the fans is pretty much nil.

Who's to say the job isn't Walski's to lose? Have you seen the off-season workouts? Have you seen the on-ice practices? How has Walski looked? Is Eidsness even in GF yet? Have you compared them side by side? How many games have you witnessed either goalie play? And what about Harrington? You state: "will no doubt get very little (if any) game experience" How do you know this? I have no idea who the goalie will be this year for the Sioux. That is why coaches coach; players play; and fans get to watch, whine, bitch, and cheer.

Did Hakstol tell you about there being a goalie rotation this year? I bet he doesn't even know if there will be one; and the chances of him asking for approval from the fans is pretty much nil.

if that was the case with Walski, why didn't the coaching staff play him more then one game and prepare him for this year? And if you recall the game he played, it was lowest shots on net for the year.

It's Eidsness postion to loss.

You can have an offense that is balanced and average.

Whlle we only lost Oshie and Kaip up front, replacing TJ's points isn't a lock with the new players coming in/or veteran players stepping up. We also need to replace almost 50 points from the blueline with Bina and Chorney leaving.

I do think our scoring will be down from last year. TJ will be hard to replace.

Good post. Even though this team brings back a good amount of seniors, there is really only two proven point scorers coming back (Duncan and Genoway). Despite the fact that they return 5 of 7 d-men, only one of them has been a proven offensive d-man. Personally I don't think we had enough depth up front last year, and they still lost their top scorer. If this team plans on getting far, there will need to be players both up front and on the blue line that will need to make up for the lost point production.

if that was the case with Walski, why didn't the coaching staff play him more then one game and prepare him for this year? And if you recall the game he played, it was lowest shots on net for the year.

It's Eidsness postion to loss.

That is my feelings and guess too... If Walski is a great goaltender he would have played more last season.

I am betting Eidness is going to be the starter and Walski will get a sniff...

I think we have paid a high price to have Walski as a senior with one game under his belt on our roster. We lost a good young goalie and haven't recruited a stud until Eidsness. We are one injury away from disaster. Does anyone think that Walski can carry the load in the WCHA? If so why didn't he play last year. Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. He is a hard working practice goalie in my book.

From what i understand Eidsness has been in GF all summer preparing for the season...and as others have said if Walski was ready for the top job why did he start one game last year? Obviously the coaches did not have enough trust in him last year based on his play in practice to start more than one game.

I think we have paid a high price to have Walski as a senior with one game under his belt on our roster. We lost a good young goalie and haven't recruited a stud until Eidsness. We are one injury away from disaster. Does anyone think that Walski can carry the load in the WCHA? If so why didn't he play last year. Why we haven't gone after another top goalie is a mystery. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. Our goalie recruitment philosophy is a mystery. What do they see in Walski that others don't see. He is a hard working practice goalie in my book.

:silly:

Walski didn't play last year because JPL was one of the most consistent goalies in the NCAA all season.

I have faith that Walski and Eidsness will be fine in net this upcoming year.

People need to chill. The Sioux are going to be a tough team this year. Great defense, better offense than most are giving credit for here (all aboard the Trupp Express!), and we might as well ride a freshman goalie to a national title. :silly: