• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know two families who spell their surname this way. One pronounces it

Greg-Wah; the other

Greg-O-Re

(The funny thing is, they are related!)

Luckily, if you live in western ND, the only pronunciations you need to know are johnson, anderson, and olson :)

Any guesses as to how the Wooger will pronounce the name?

Luckily, if you live in western ND, the only pronunciations you need to know are johnson, anderson, and olson :)

True, but you have the question of whether to pronounce it "jonson" or "yonson." Those who say "jonson" are newcomers.

True, but you have the question of whether to pronounce it "jonson" or "yonson." Those who say "jonson" are newcomers.

You've got a point, and, I am a newcomer to the Norsky accent. And I do stay far away, and upwind, of ludefisk.

• 1 month later...

According to Brad's Blog... here is the roster and numbers, barring any unforseen issues:

Notice that nobody will wear No. 7 (the last three guys to wear it have all left school as All-Americans -- Travis Roche, Brandon Bochenski and T.J. Oshie). No surprise that David Toews won't wear his brother's No. 9, either. None of the other guys -- Chay Genoway, Zach Jones, Darcy Zajac -- have previously received the same number as their bros.

2 Joe Finley, sr, d

3 Derrick LaPoint, so, d

4 Corey Fienhage, fr, d

5 Chay Genoway, jr, d

6 Zach Jones, sr, d

8 Ryan Martens, sr, f

9 Mario Lamoureux, fr, f

10 Andrew Kozek, sr, f

11 Darcy Zajac, jr, f

14 Brad Miller, sr, f

15 Brent Davidson, so, f

16 Ryan Duncan, sr, f

17 Jason Gregoire, fr, f

18 David Toews, fr, f

19 Evan Trupp, so, f

20 Matt Watkins, sr, f

21 Matt Frattin, so, f

22 Brad Malone, so, f

24 Ben Blood, fr, d

25 Jake Marto, so, d

26 Brett Hextall, fr, f

29 Chris VandeVelde, jr, f

30 Aaron Walski, sr, g

31 Brad Eidsness, fr, g

35 Graeme Harrington, fr, g

I like Hextall in 26... should wear the number well :huh:

Hey, if we're into reading too far into numbers how about this:

David Toews didn't take his borther's number (9). He is the second Toews to attend UND. 9x2=18, Toews' number.

Hogwash, but I'm tired so it sorta makes sense.

Hey it is good enough for me...

I see

Duncan-Gregoire-Kozek

Toews-VandeVelde-Frattin

Malone-Trupp-Watkins

Miller-Zajac-Martens

Though I must admit I am bored with especially Miller and Martens and could see Hextall and maybe Lammy filling those spots....

Finley-Genoway

Marto-Lapoint

Jones-Blood

Finehage

I see

Duncan-Gregoire-Kozek

Toews-VandeVelde-Frattin

Malone-Trupp-Watkins

Miller-Zajac-Martens

Though I must admit I am bored with especially Miller and Martens and could see Hextall and maybe Lammy filling those spots....

Finley-Genoway

Marto-Lapoint

Jones-Blood

Finehage

Having two shooters (Dunc and Kozak) on the same line works if they are both skilled at the feed as well. Now Dunc is excellent in that area but Kozak couldn't make a touch pass to save his life and putting him on a line with Dunc would be horrible. Could you emagine seeing Dunc parked in his favorite spot wide open waiting for a little touch feed pass from Kozak-I see Kozak firing the puck at lightning speed right at the goalie hoping to nail that little opening. Now if the goalie makes the save but gives up the rebound, can you emagine Dunc winning the battle for the puck to get a shot off? Wouldn't work often...

Many of those Dunc scoring opportunities would be wasted. If Dunc is on a line with Kozak I bet he doesnt get many more than 10 goals next year while on the ice with Kozak.

Now I haven't seen Gregoire (26A in 38 games) or Toews (51A in 44 games) play, but their stats suggest they have set up skills, heck maybe even Hextall (48A in 53 games) will show some talent in that area (I think Hextall is going to be a suprise)??

All that I know is outside of Trupp I can't think of anyone returning from last year that would complement Dunc well.

Given the make-up of the returning players the Sioux are in a situation where a returning Hobbie winning senior might just be best servered playing on a line with freshmen.

That would be unusual wouldn't it.

So i stick with the "Natural" line 16-17-18 even though it is actually quite unnatural.

I'm kinda confused so I'll ask for enlightenment.

The role of players on a line vary, right? I always thought the center was the playmaker and the job of the wingers were to finish?

Are we at the point where we have to rely upon Kozek for setting up Duncan and whomever else is on the line? If so, then yeah, maybe we're in trouble... or maybe we're not.

Remember, up until last season, Kozek didn't score much. WHy? Because Hak had him in a more grinder role. Maybe his role last year was to finish? That might be why Hak criticized him late in the season for not shooting as much as he should have?

Also, I don't know about Duncan's role this year. I don't think we have the up and down dynamic talent like Oshie brought us to allow Duncan to simply go out and find his spot. I think Duncs will do a lot of setting up on top of whoever centers the line.

I have no problem with Kozek being on the first line. He's a goal scorer. The question is who centers the first line? That person needs to be a good passer who has a good hockey sense and vision. To me, that would be Trupp or VV. Toews and Gregoire may have that too, but I've never seen either of them play.

In any case, I think Kozek needs to be on a scoring line. I also think roles are going to change for some of the players who we are used to not seeing them play that sort of role.

I also see Miller fighting for ice time this year. Hextall and Lammy may be too good to keep out of the lineup and Miller's season last year was not very good. He may be the odd man out. I'd also say the same thing about Martens usually, but he had a good season last year...

It will be very interesting.

Having two shooters (Dunc and Kozak) on the same line works if they are both skilled at the feed as well. Now Dunc is excellent in that area but Kozak couldn't make a touch pass to save his life and putting him on a line with Dunc would be horrible. Could you emagine seeing Dunc parked in his favorite spot wide open waiting for a little touch feed pass from Kozak-I see Kozak firing the puck at lightning speed right at the goalie hoping to nail that little opening. Now if the goalie makes the save but gives up the rebound, can you emagine Dunc winning the battle for the puck to get a shot off? Wouldn't work often...

Many of those Dunc scoring opportunities would be wasted. If Dunc is on a line with Kozak I bet he doesnt get many more than 10 goals next year while on the ice with Kozak.

Now I haven't seen Gregoire (26A in 38 games) or Toews (51A in 44 games) play, but their stats suggest they have set up skills, heck maybe even Hextall (48A in 53 games) will show some talent in that area (I think Hextall is going to be a suprise)??

All that I know is outside of Trupp I can't think of anyone returning from last year that would complement Dunc well.

Given the make-up of the returning players the Sioux are in a situation where a returning Hobbie winning senior might just be best servered playing on a line with freshmen.

That would be unusual wouldn't it.

So i stick with the "Natural" line 16-17-18 even though it is actually quite unnatural.

You took the time to write this up, even copied the line combos in your post, yet decided that it was not important to spell KOZEK correctly.

I'm kinda confused so I'll ask for enlightenment.

The role of players on a line vary, right? I always thought the center was the playmaker and the job of the wingers were to finish?

Are we at the point where we have to rely upon Kozek for setting up Duncan and whomever else is on the line? If so, then yeah, maybe we're in trouble... or maybe we're not.

Remember, up until last season, Kozek didn't score much. WHy? Because Hak had him in a more grinder role. Maybe his role last year was to finish? That might be why Hak criticized him late in the season for not shooting as much as he should have?

Also, I don't know about Duncan's role this year. I don't think we have the up and down dynamic talent like Oshie brought us to allow Duncan to simply go out and find his spot. I think Duncs will do a lot of setting up on top of whoever centers the line.

I have no problem with Kozek being on the first line. He's a goal scorer. The question is who centers the first line? That person needs to be a good passer who has a good hockey sense and vision. To me, that would be Trupp or VV. Toews and Gregoire may have that too, but I've never seen either of them play.

In any case, I think Kozek needs to be on a scoring line. I also think roles are going to change for some of the players who we are used to not seeing them play that sort of role.

I also see Miller fighting for ice time this year. Hextall and Lammy may be too good to keep out of the lineup and Miller's season last year was not very good. He may be the odd man out. I'd also say the same thing about Martens usually, but he had a good season last year...

It will be very interesting.

I think the coaches will figure it out this season. There is a lot of talent to work with.

This is my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Last year with Oshie, Duncan, Kozek: Kozek acted more along the boards (getter) and Duncan served as the primary shooter.

Kozek can be a getter, but he's a natural shooter and is more likely needed in that role this year.

The question is:

What roles will guys be asked to play in this year?

It would be nice if we had some competition among the offense and had a situation where if you aren't scoring you sit. I long for the days where we had firepower up and down the lineup. I see a lot of potential, but we need a push and some breakout years. Some guys didn't contribute much offensively at all last year. Waiting for the first line to score can come back to bite you.

My best guess for lines...and I agree, there really isn't a natural fit to go with Duncan this year....

1- Frattin-Toews-Duncan

2- Kozek-VV-Watkins

3- Gregoire-Trupp-Hextall

4- Martens-Zajac-Malone

I definitely see some shifting going on as well...Trupp could be moved to wing and Lamoureux comes in to play center...I definitely see Miller, Davidson, Hex, and Super Mario as the guys fighting for the last couple forward spots...possibly Martens as well if the other guys pass him up.

Defensive pairings should be...

1- Finley-Genoway

2- Jones-Marto

3- LaPoint-Blood/Fienhage

I think by the end of the year, Blood will be the go-to sixth D-man, with his experience in the USHL last year helping a lot...

This is my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Last year with Oshie, Duncan, Kozek: Kozek acted more along the boards (getter) and Duncan served as the primary shooter.

Kozek can be a getter, but he's a natural shooter and is more likely needed in that role this year.

The question is:

What roles will guys be asked to play in this year?

So isn't that what I was trying to say?

It's not my fault if you're better with words than I am. :silly:

My best guess for lines...and I agree, there really isn't a natural fit to go with Duncan this year....

1- Frattin-Toews-Duncan

2- Kozek-VV-Watkins

3- Gregoire-Trupp-Hextall

4- Martens-Zajac-Malone

I definitely see some shifting going on as well...Trupp could be moved to wing and Lamoureux comes in to play center...I definitely see Miller, Davidson, Hex, and Super Mario as the guys fighting for the last couple forward spots...possibly Martens as well if the other guys pass him up.

Defensive pairings should be...

1- Finley-Genoway

2- Jones-Marto

3- LaPoint-Blood/Fienhage

I think by the end of the year, Blood will be the go-to sixth D-man, with his experience in the USHL last year helping a lot...

I can't see Frattin on the top line....especially not to start the season. He has done nothing to warrant that. Gregoire will be higher than a third line player.

I can't see Frattin on the top line....especially not to start the season. He has done nothing to warrant that. Gregoire will be higher than a third line player.

I don't disagree with you...however, I just don't see who else fits. I don't see Gregoire and Toews with Duncan even more than I have trouble seeing Frattin up there. The only guy that might fit is Watkins, but then you separate Watkins and VV....but maybe Gregoire fits on that line and Frattin moves to third.... Either way, I think we will see Hak juggling lines all season...

I don't disagree with you...however, I just don't see who else fits. I don't see Gregoire and Toews with Duncan even more than I have trouble seeing Frattin up there. The only guy that might fit is Watkins, but then you separate Watkins and VV....but maybe Gregoire fits on that line and Frattin moves to third.... Either way, I think we will see Hak juggling lines all season...

I didn't see Frattin as a first liner, but that's where he started last season as a freshman. I think Frattin has as much a chance of being on the first line as any of the freshmen.