SiouxSports.com Forum

Once again....?

The Walrus

I am all for once in a lifetime events.....World Juniors, World Curlings, ect....

I just wonder what Ralph had in mind when he built the state of the art rink and practice facility, for the college hockey team he loved, and now again we will be using park board rinks to get ready to try and win a National Championship Title......?

I'm sure the Broken Broom Lounge and Nightclub (olympic practice rink) was needed, because Grand Forks does not have enough Bars and Resturants for a couple of thousand people to use.... ;)

Good Luck and Go Sioux !

I'm only a little ashamed of myself for this, but yeah, having to practice at Purpur or anywhere else might be good for this team. I'm surprised at how nonchalant the Sioux can be some times, and two, maybe two-and-a-half period of Sunday's game, most of the team simply had a great seat for a hockey game. I don't know what Hakstol (or one of the captains) said after the second, but FINALLY the boys showed up and played up to their abilities.

This is a special hockey team; maybe a champion team, but they can't take a period or two off like they did tonight. Like they did against DU in St. Paul.

A win's a win, but other than Turris, this Wisconsin team has nothing close to the talent UND boasts, and the Badgers almost won the regional.

Skate sixty minutes a game in Denver boys.

I'm only a little ashamed of myself for this, but yeah, having to practice at Purpur or anywhere else might be good for this team. I'm surprised at how nonchalant the Sioux can be some times, and two, maybe two-and-a-half period of Sunday's game, most of the team simply had a great seat for a hockey game. I don't know what Hakstol (or one of the captains) said after the second, but FINALLY the boys showed up and played up to their abilities.

This is a special hockey team; maybe a champion team, but they can't take a period or two off like they did tonight. Like they did against DU in St. Paul.

A win's a win, but other than Turris, this Wisconsin team has nothing close to the talent UND boasts, and the Badgers almost won the regional.

If we skate for 60 minutes a game in Denver, we will be fine! My only fear is that the boys get too complacent with Lammy in goal. He is unbelievable right now, but that won't be good enough against BC. If they can't get motivated by playing BC, nothing will motivate them.

That said, BC played a similar game to what we did tonite. They had 2 minutes at the end of the 2nd period where they scored 3 goals. Unlike us they were outplayed in OT, but got it done. Their experience and the choke collar for Miami won the game for BC.

My thoughts exactly. Frustrating.

Since it seems to be a pattern, and we're getting outshot and maybe out-skated, is it possible that the skill difference between our top line(s) and the others are enough that we just don't have the jam to skate with people the whole game because the other lines aren't that good and the Oshie line only has so much energy and can't play at peak level the whole game?

I just don't see how Osh, Duncan and Co can play every shift like they did the 3rd period without being carried out on stretchers.

Is missing Trupp and LaPoint's depth putting a lot of playing time pressure on our 1st line?

If we skate for 60 minutes a game in Denver, we will be fine! My only fear is that the boys get too complacent with Lammy in goal. He is unbelievable right now, but that won't be good enough against BC. If they can't get motivated by playing BC, nothing will motivate them.

It's easy to "ride" a hot goal tender, and I think it can make everybody else a bit lazy, especially if you're allowing 30+SOG and either leading or only down a point or two. Really, how often do WE get outshot? I liked what I saw in the the third period, as it reminded me of the past championship teams: Strong fore-and-back checking, solid passing, cycling the puck and controlling the blue line. If they play that way for 60 minutes in Denver, they should beat BC.

I liked what I saw in the the third period, as it reminded me of the past championship teams: Strong fore-and-back checking, solid passing, cycling the puck and controlling the blue line.

I was suprised by the lack of physical play during the first two periods by the defensive corps. It seemed as if the Badgers were standing guys up at the blue line while we were content allow forwards to get to the circles before any contact.

I do agree if they play the next 6 periods like that last 1, we'll be fine. Michigan and Notre Dame are both highly overrated and BC looked very, very slow and had problems moving the puck in their win against Miami.

I was suprised by the lack of physical play during the first two periods by the defensive corps. It seemed as if the Badgers were standing guys up at the blue line while we were content allow forwards to get to the circles before any contact.

I do agree if they play the next 6 periods like that last 1, we'll be fine. Michigan and Notre Dame are both highly overrated and BC looked very, very slow and had problems moving the puck in their win against Miami.

BC looked slow? Did you watch them against MN? They dominated Miami most of the game - then went to sleep the first part of OT. BC and Michigan are the fastest teams I have seen play this year. If UND's defense look like they did last weekend April 10 is going to be a very ugly day. If they gave up 35-40 shots against Princeton and WI, BC should get 60.

Hopefully the Sioux can get healthy over the next 10 days. Getting Trupp and LaPoint back will also help.

I have defended Finley all year and thought he played most of the season as one of the top D men in the country. Last weekend every time he took the ice all I saw was:

Pylon_4997.jpg

BC looked slow? Did you watch them against MN? They dominated Miami most of the game - then went to sleep the first part of OT. BC and Michigan are the fastest teams I have seen play this year. If UND's defense look like they did last weekend April 10 is going to be a very ugly day. If they gave up 35-40 shots against Princeton and WI, BC should get 60.

Hopefully the Sioux can get healthy over the next 10 days. Getting Trupp and LaPoint back will also help.

I have defended Finley all year and thought he played most of the season as one of the top D men in the country. Last weekend every time he took the ice all I saw was:

Pylon_4997.jpg

I agree...I have been a big Finley fan this year, but what the heck was up with him this past weekend?

I'm with you jloos. Watching BC break out of their zone is like being at an airshow and seeing the Blue Angels. They are really fast. I think the Sioux can slow them down, though, if they play with some physicality.

And Finley, frankly, was lost all weekend. I can't believe how many times he dropped a puck behind his own net, to a teammate who wasn't there. And watching him be stymied behind the net last night, trying to decide which way to start the rush was painful. That mess resulted in an ugly turnover and an odd-man rush that I thought would end up with the game-winner by the Red Plague.

Joe needs to get his chi straight.

The Ralph is hosting the 2008 World Men's Curling Championships making the ice unavailable for hockey. The Sioux will practice at Purpur Arena.

This thread seems to have gotten side tracked from it's 1st posting. My question would be why did the World Curling need to use the practice facility for a party room? It is a shame that our hockey team will be basically locked out of their own arena for preperation of trying to win our 8th National Title.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again, the people running the Ralph are no different than the NC$$. There is nothing

more important than the the almighty dollar. They would prostitute themselves if they thought there was 50 cents to be made,

Example being that piece of crap idea of having the so called fans text in the player of the game costing you only 99 cents per

text. Isn't the standard cost around 10 cents per text? Enough said. Gretzky used to practice on a pond. Go All The Way

Sioux. Thanks, for a great year however it turns out.

I'm with you jloos. Watching BC break out of their zone is like being at an airshow and seeing the Blue Angels. They are really fast. I think the Sioux can slow them down, though, if they play with some physicality.

I was really reminded of the Panzers and Hoogsteens. I was amazed how guickly BC was able to get up ice. I think a good, physical game is the only way to slow down BC. Not the "clutch and grabass" nonsense, but a strong checking in both zones. BC, as usual, is generally a smaller team, and we can use that along the boards and the open ice.

This thread seems to have gotten side tracked from it's 1st posting. My question would be why did the World Curling need to use the practice facility for a party room? It is a shame that our hockey team will be basically locked out of their own arena for preperation of trying to win our 8th National Title.

I heard an interview on the radio the other day. Apparently we were required to provide a party room. I don't think it HAD to be on site, but I think that makes us that much better.

Of course since we're playing in the Burpsi (Pepsi) Center in Denver that would be a NHL sized rink and the extra sheet of ice would not be appropriate.

I'm with MikeJM...Let's get them out of their element to help focus them.

I was really reminded of the Panzers and Hoogsteens. I was amazed how guickly BC was able to get up ice. I think a good, physical game is the only way to slow down BC. Not the "clutch and grabass" nonsense, but a strong checking in both zones. BC, as usual, is generally a smaller team, and we can use that along the boards and the open ice.

and play physical in front of their net. Muse gives up juicy rebounds.

Maybe it won't hurt the Sioux to get out of their comfy confines and get back to some old school hockey. There is nothing wrong with Purpur or Gambucci. Maybe bring the guys back down to earth alittle bit. IMO

"Old time hockey....Eddie Shore..."

Practice down in Riverside Park where champions cut their teeth on the ice!