SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Duncan, .......?

Old Time Hockey

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miller is not a scoring threat and not top line material. kozek should be on that line. Neither Malone nor Radke can score a goal so the question becomes who is better defensively. At this point I would give the edge to the senior Radke. So if Trupp is back either Radke, Malone, or Miller sits. I say Miller or malone.

Miller is not a scoring threat and not top line material. kozek should be on that line. Neither Malone nor Radke can score a goal so the question becomes who is better defensively. At this point I would give the edge to the senior Radke. So if Trupp is back either Radke, Malone, or Miller sits. I say Miller or malone.

Kozek's shot is a cannon. Even if it goes wide of the net that has to be scarey...

That was a big time goal... I think he is going to be a threat next season...

I still like his physical presence on the ice...

It was an important goal but he basically shot it into an empty net. Malone is a candiadte to be scratched no question about it. If Trupper is back someone has to go and it will be Malone or Miller

i would have kozek on the top line for sure. with trupp back i see radke sitting. just guessing how it will play out

whoever it is - IN HAK WE TRUST :ohmy:

go sioux

I don't see Radke sitting. I think it could end up being either Miller or Malone that ends up sitting to be honest.

I'm not sure who I'd like to see sit, truthfully, but I can't see taking grit out of the lineup. Malone is gritty, but hasn't really played overly well. Hak seems enamored with Miller because he must do very well in practice, so perhaps the freshman sits.

Hak seems enamored with Miller because he must do very well in practice, so perhaps the freshman sits.

I know that Hak always says "you earn your playing spot in practice", but at some point shouldn't that translate over into game play? Not to rag on Miller, and I know I'm not the best hockey mind out there, and there probably is a lot that Miller is doing that I don't see, but I honestly haven't "seen" what Hak does to justify Miller on that top line.

Who sits with Trupper back in I don't know - I do know I really like Radke in there, there are just so many intangibles that he brings.

No way Radke isn't suited up. I don't see him getting much ice time, but I definitely see him in uniform and on the bench. Our record doesn't lie, and we are flat out much better with him in. I predict Radke gets 3 shifts per game from here on out, maybe four if we need his physical presence.

Here is what I would like to see - Oshie get the "A" back on his jersey for the final stretch run. IMO he deserves it in his work ethic, character, desire and his giving 110% all of the time he is on the ice.

There is no doubt it would be nice to see that "A" back on Oshie' crest. Yet, thinking back to the 1994 blockbuster, A Few Good Men, when Tom Cruise told the defendent, Harold, that "You Don't Have To Wear A Badge To Have Honor" line.

Oshie should be a solidified Hobey Baker Candidate yet won't win thanks to the GF media and the folks even on this board that jump on the bandwagon when adversity hit back in January. Boy, just think if he jumped ship when adversity hit the Sioux everytime. Don't think the Sioux would be in this position this year or the previous two. Just look at his production and inspiration once the Play-offs hit. Last years Michigan game to scoring the shortie vs. BC in the Frozen Four personnafies what his character is all about. Plus, this season playing hurt ala last season with a broken thumb.

Yet, he's as humble as always like the interview for being a Hobey Baker candidate when he told the camera "I'm pulling for Philly actually ... I voted for him online this week."

That is the mark of a champion.

I've posted many thoughts on line combos. I think that the performance in Madison locks down the first line of Oshie, Duncan and Kozek.

The second line for most of the season: Kaip, VV, and Watty have been a very consistent line. They establish the forecheck, are strong on the puck, and chip in some timely goals. However, in Madison perods 1 and 2, we saw a serious lack of face-off depth. We also saw an inability to control any play from basically any line. Hak moved VV off that line and put Frattin on it. It worked.

So, if we say let's go with what worked in Madison we have:

Oshie with Duncan and Kozek

Kaip with Watkins and Frattin

Vande with

Now we get to the next dilemma. Who can play well with who, who needs to be in the lineup and who should sit?

If, in fact, Trupper is back for the F4 as rumor has it; He has to be in the lineup. I put him on the third line with Vande. That is a pretty potent third line no matter who the other winger is. In fact, that is a third line that I have no problem matching up against ANY line from another team. But who is the other winger? Miller? Martens? Zajac?

Based on the MN series, I put Martens on that line with Trupp.

So

Vande with Trupp and Martens

Now for the fourth line

Regulars not listed so far: Miller, Zajac, Malone, Radke

These guys all bring something to the table, but I believe that Hak will make the fourth line the physical presence line. Zajac has been in all year, and he is a true centerman. Darcy's in. The team wins with Kyle Radke in uniform, he will be on strict orders, but he is a senior and a leader, and he is in.

So

Zajac with Radke and.....

Sorry Miller, but I have to go with Malone. Malone brings the physical play. He doesn't have Miller's potential upside skill wise, but he plays physical and fires up the team. I don't believe that either Malone or Miller will score a goal, but I do believe that Malone will hit somebody (hopefully with his shoulder not his knee).

In conclusion:

Oshie with Duncs and Kozek

Kaip with Frattin and Watkins

Zajac with Radke and Malone

I've posted many thoughts on line combos. I think that the performance in Madison locks down the first line of Oshie, Duncan and Kozek.

The second line for most of the season: Kaip, VV, and Watty have been a very consistent line. They establish the forecheck, are strong on the puck, and chip in some timely goals. However, in Madison perods 1 and 2, we saw a serious lack of face-off depth. We also saw an inability to control any play from basically any line. Hak moved VV off that line and put Frattin on it. It worked.

Vande with

Now we get to the next dilemma. Who can play well with who, who needs to be in the lineup and who should sit?

If, in fact, Trupper is back for the F4 as rumor has it; He has to be in the lineup. I put him on the third line with Vande. That is a pretty potent third line no matter who the other winger is. In fact, that is a third line that I have no problem matching up against ANY line from another team. But who is the other winger? Miller? Martens? Zajac?

So

Now for the fourth line

These guys all bring something to the table, but I believe that Hak will make the fourth line the physical presence line. Zajac has been in all year, and he is a true centerman. Darcy's in. The team wins with Kyle Radke in uniform, he will be on strict orders, but he is a senior and a leader, and he is in.

So

Sorry Miller, but I have to go with Malone. Malone brings the physical play. He doesn't have Miller's potential upside skill wise, but he plays physical and fires up the team. I don't believe that either Malone or Miller will score a goal, but I do believe that Malone will hit somebody (hopefully with his shoulder not his knee).

In conclusion:

With all that being said above...I agree. No way Martens sits. Again the wrench is if Marto goes to forward and/or Trupp plays. I think Marto over LaPoint at D and Trupp plays. With a small quick team like BC you need a physical line that plays smart. Radke, Zajac and Malone can do that. I like VV with Trupp and Martens. That is a very good 3rd line.

In conclusion:

I'd be OK with that. It is suprising how much better all the combos look (on paper) once you add Trupp back in the mix. If he doesn't play, get ready to see Miller back on the first line for at least half the game.

just to set it straight. Radke did deserve the 2nd penalty on Sunday. though it was not roughing it should have been interference....

As soon as it happened I looked at my buddy and said uh-oh Radke just set a nice pick, and the whistle went for roughing...

Gotta be smarter.

I would be surprised to see anyone other than kozek on the top line

In conclusion:

YES I agree with your lineup!

Will HAK take #14 off the first line and send him to street clothes. Unfortunately I don't see it :ohmy:

I think we all agree that HAK will shorten the bench from here on out.

Zajac is dinged up,

Radke could be a liability by taking penalties, yet we need his physical (non penalty) presence.

Malone is young and inexperienced.

I like our chances with the above lineup.

How sweet it would be to win a National Title by beating bc and michigan

GO SIOUX

Vande with

So

Now for the fourth line

So

In conclusion:

I like your rationale! Be warned, you might get bashed for moving VV off the Kaip/Watkins line and for inserting Radke in the line-up. I thought the kaip line was playing well defensively, but had got a little stale in the offensive zone. Frattin did assist on Kaips goal on Sunday, which was nice to see. That said, I can see Hak having 17, 20, and 29 back together come the start of the game against BC.

Be warned, you might get bashed for moving VV off the Kaip/Watkins line.

Not by me. Or Hakstol, as he did that for the 3rd period on Sun.

I really like these lines that were posted earlier:

Keep Kozek with the top line. He brings a significant 3rd scoring threat to that line.

I really like Kaip's line with two speedsters in Frattin and Watkins. This line could match up and keep up with the Gerbe line from BC, and Kaip and Watkins are both great defensive forwards as well.

VV and Trupp together could create some chances, and Martens has proven to be a good passer and stickhandler.

The fourth line could go out there to bog down and grind the opposition. Radke looks good on this line for that reason. Hakstol could sub with Miller if he wants to add some speed to the line and possibly match it up with a different BC line.

With the lines I mentioned before, and the "home" last change due to seeding, It really helps us. Not just on forward matchups, but also on D pairings. As much as I like Joe, one on one the advantage goes to Gerbe. I like the fact that we can check the Gerbe line with the Kaip line up front and Chorney and Bina in back. Put our most mobile d-pairing and best defensive forwards out vs that BC big line.

BC PP is really interesting with those 5 forwards. DJack has to be working with the PK this week on how to take advantage of that. As I said before, any d-man can play forward, but not every forward can play D. one on one, two on two or odd-mans, if you are a forward playing the position of a D man; it is tough, especially in open ice. You feel all alone out there.

I think the Kaip line checks the Gerbe line, and the Oshie line plays even up with that Ferriero line (maybe its Smith, or both? I can't remember who is on that second line for BC, but a couple very fast and very good players).

We win the game with the third line. Yet another reason to put VV and Trupp on that line.

With the lines I mentioned before, and the "home" last change due to seeding, It really helps us. Not just on forward matchups, but also on D pairings. As much as I like Joe, one on one the advantage goes to Gerbe. I like the fact that we can check the Gerbe line with the Kaip line up front and Chorney and Bina in back. Put our most mobile d-pairing and best defensive forwards out vs that BC big line.

BC PP is really interesting with those 5 forwards. DJack has to be working with the PK this week on how to take advantage of that. As I said before, any d-man can play forward, but not every forward can play D. one on one, two on two or odd-mans, if you are a forward playing the position of a D man; it is tough, especially in open ice. You feel all alone out there.

I think the Kaip line checks the Gerbe line, and the Oshie line plays even up with that Ferriero line (maybe its Smith, or both? I can't remember who is on that second line for BC, but a couple very fast and very good players).

We win the game with the third line. Yet another reason to put VV and Trupp on that line.

IIRC, Kaip line is Kaip, Watkins, and VV. Why split that line up? I think that line has size, grit, and scoring ability. Not to mention speed, character, and heart. It may not be as dynamic scoring-wise as the Oshie line, but it is bar none the second most effective line on the Sioux.

I would not break up that line at all.

Hak broke it up in the third period and OT against Wisconsin. I support that move. I also support having true centerman on each line. Faceoffs will be important. I think that Kaip with Watkins and Frattin; and Vande with Trupp and Martens are almost interchangeable. It is not a second vs third line, it is two second lines that can both chip in goals and shut down opposition. putting watkins and frattin on the same line really adds speed to that line.

I agree that prior to the playoffs, the Kaip, VV and Watty line was our second most productive line. The third line really was not producing at all.

I think we have to try and beat BC with the 3rd line. Their top two lines can compete with our top two lines, same thing for Michigan. we have to win those games based on good matchups, everyone playing at the next level, and some lucky breaks.

What we can control is having the right faceoff men in, and being in a position to try and win the game by having our third and fopurth lines out play their third and fourth lines.