SiouxSports.com Forum

Oshie, Duncan, .......?

Old Time Hockey

Well, now Jones definitely won't sit. Since LaPoint has PCS (Post-Concusion Syndrome, same thing Kaip had his freshman year), who knows when he might play again.

exactly, we may see marto due to that or may just see marto because of the big ice

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now Jones definitely won't sit. Since LaPoint has PCS (Post-Concusion Syndrome, same thing Kaip had his freshman year), who knows when he might play again.

I knew he took a hard hit but I had not heard that he suffered a concusion. Was this released?

BD

Kozek should be on that top line. Miller does nothing up there. What does he have 3 goals on the year?? And I know he got credit for the debacle whe the Duluth defenseman knocked it into his own goal off his skate

Jones, sit....? can i have what you're smoking...? ;)

Marto would play instead of #3 because of the big sheet. it's kind of like having two #5's that can take the puck Coffey-style end to end. :D imo, #26 needs to be in there. Radke adds an important element to the line-up when he's playing....He gives our team character, grit, and an identity that the younger players can follow. Radke is a leader no doubt. hopefully, DH sees it the same way. :D

Jones, sit....? can i have what you're smoking...? ;)

Marto would play instead of #3 because of the big sheet. it's kind of like having two #5's that can take the puck Coffey-style end to end. :D imo, #26 needs to be in there. Radke adds an important element to the line-up when he's playing....He gives our team character, grit, and an identity that the younger players can follow. Radke is a leader no doubt. hopefully, DH sees it the same way. :D

Jones obviously will not sit. He is probably our best defensive d-man. Marto and Jones are a good pairing. Looking forward to seeing Blood enter the mix next year.

I agree with your idea but I don't believe this is the time of year to use it. That pholosophy works best throughout the grind of a season. Now in the playoffs with all the TV timeouts and stops in play a coach can and often does shorten their rotation to 3 lines. And the 3rd line is often a rotation of the 3rd and 4th lines used throughout the regular season. I am all for having our "horses" or Big "DOGs" on the first two units (including defense). I would not move Genoway out of his position because it allows him to control the game more from the point and I love his game back there. My lines would look as follows:

Forwards

Duncan, Oshie, Kozek

Watkins, VW, Kaip

Martens, Miller, Frattin

Defense

Chorney & Bina

Genoway & Finley

Marto & LaPoint

I would rotate the 3rd unit in periodically and would probably play them individually with one of the first four.

Just MYO

BD

Radke and Zajac have to play! Darcy is a solid two-way guy and played very well last weekend.

My guess is Trupper is out this weekend, but will be avialable if we advance to the FF.

That said, lines will be the same as they were against CC.

Jones is the most solid defensemen in our zone. He losses very few one on one battles! Lapoint is a good defensemen, but at this point in the season he is #7 on a extremely deep depth chart.

We will roll 4 lines against the P-tigers unless we get down by a goal or it is close in the third period. I hope we cruise to a victory to keep the top two lines fresh for Sunday!

Radke and Zajac have to play! Darcy is a solid two-way guy and played very well last weekend.

My guess is Trupper is out this weekend, but will be avialable if we advance to the FF.

That said, lines will be the same as they were against CC.

Jones is the most solid defensemen in our zone. He losses very few one on one battles! Lapoint is a good defensemen, but at this point in the season he is #7 on a extremely deep depth chart.

We will roll 4 lines against the P-tigers unless we get down by a goal or it is close in the third period. I hope we cruise to a victory to keep the top two lines fresh for Sunday!

If Trupp is in the line-up at some point this year, Miller will sit.

If Trupp is in the line-up at some point this year, Miller will sit.

Agree. So how is he a first line guy if he wouldn't play if not for the injury to Trupp?? Miller is a good skater with decent speed and skills, but not on the level to skate with Osh and Dunc.

Agree. So how is he a first line guy if he wouldn't play if not for the injury to Trupp?? Miller is a good skater with decent speed and skills, but not on the level to skate with Osh and Dunc.

i'm guessing the only reason he's a first line guy or healthy scratch is because he's not tough enough to be on lines 2,3 or obviously 4....he's able to get away with it a little more up there and try use his skills and speed and not hit as much.....which is also why i don't like him up there leaving oshie as the only one on that line that can run into a corner balls out, knock them down, and take the puck......it makes him the obvious odd man out....

btw...stop putting marto at forward...leave radke in the flippin lineup...radke is to the sioux what boooooogard is to the wild...with more emotion and leadership...other teams take note and not as many liberties when they know that the end result might be getting their ass handed to them by 26

Malone, Radke and Zajac make up a solid physical 4th line. Miller adds some speed to Martens and Frattin. Frattin has to show up this weekend. He could and should make some plays on the 3rd line.

Since starting this thread, I have heard many interesting line combinations for our squad. Ironically, not one brave soul has come out and said: I LIKE THE MILLER, OSHIE, DUNCAN LINE!!!!!!

I know we are all little rubes that don't have an ounce of hockey knowledge that our coaching staff have, but what do they see that we as fans do not?:D PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!!

I am not trying to pick on Miller and don't think anyone needs to throw him under the bus, but IMO he is a 3rd line guy at best!! With Trupp back, I don't know if he should crack the line-up.

Since starting this thread, I have heard many interesting line combinations for our squad. Ironically, not one brave soul has come out and said: I LIKE THE MILLER, OSHIE, DUNCAN LINE!!!!!!

I know we are all little rubes that don't have an ounce of hockey knowledge that our coaching staff have, but what do they see that we as fans do not?:D PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND!!!!!

I am not trying to pick on Miller and don't think anyone needs to throw him under the bus, but IMO he is a 3rd line guy at best!! With Trupp back, I don't know if he should crack the line-up.

Lets not forget that Miller did have some injury issues early on in his career at UND. Not making excuses, but it seems to put a player a little behind in their development. I expect him to be a major contributor to the team, maybe in the playoffs this year, and especially as a senior next year.

Someone had pointed out he doesn't have the physical presence to be on the 3rd and 4th line, and I don't think the VV/Kaip/Watkins line will be messed with, so that basically puts him with Duncs and Osh. Miller is fast and has offensive skill, and maybe by puting him with our two best players offensively, we maximize what Miller can do. It's a game of what works best for all 4 lines, not just the top line. I agree with the majority, that I think Kozek and VV did more with the top line, but maybe that doesn't work best for the big picture. I disagree with the notion that we shorten our bench this time of year. We have a very deep team, and I think rolling four lines will wear our opponents down come the end of the game. In my opinion, we are not compromising when we have our Malone/Radke/Zajac line out there, that is a hell of a line no matter what number you put in front of it. When/if Trupp comes back, we may see Kozek sniping with D and O again, with Trupp back with his old linemates, but until that happens, here's my uneducated guess at our line pairings...

Duncan/Oshie/Miller

Kaip/VV/Watkins

Frattin/Kozek/Martens

Malone/Zajac/Radke

Finley/Genoway

Chorney/Bina

Jones/Marto

I hope LaPoint is ok, I was watching when he took that hit and he went pretty hard into the boards, and came up a little shaky. Does anyone remember if there was a call on that hit? Boarding maybe, i know there was no cfb?

Someone had pointed out he doesn't have the physical presence to be on the 3rd and 4th line, and I don't think the VV/Kaip/Watkins line will be messed with, so that basically puts him with Duncs and Osh. Miller is fast and has offensive skill, and maybe by puting him with our two best players offensively, we maximize what Miller can do. It's a game of what works best for all 4 lines, not just the top line. I agree with the majority, that I think Kozek and VV did more with the top line, but maybe that doesn't work best for the big picture. I disagree with the notion that we shorten our bench this time of year. We have a very deep team, and I think rolling four lines will wear our opponents down come the end of the game. In my opinion, we are not compromising when we have our Malone/Radke/Zajac line out there, that is a hell of a line no matter what number you put in front of it. When/if Trupp comes back, we may see Kozek sniping with D and O again, with Trupp back with his old linemates, but until that happens, here's my uneducated guess at our line pairings...

Duncan/Oshie/Miller

Kaip/VV/Watkins

Frattin/Kozek/Martens

Malone/Zajac/Radke

Finley/Genoway

Chorney/Bina

Jones/Marto

I hope LaPoint is ok, I was watching when he took that hit and he went pretty hard into the boards, and came up a little shaky. Does anyone remember if there was a call on that hit? Boarding maybe, i know there was no cfb?

2 min boarding

This team needs it's first line to produce from here on out. Period. You can talk about balance, but this team will advance on the point production of Oshie and/or Duncan. Others will chip in but that is the reality of this time of year. Kozek gives the other 2 a better chance to produce than Miller. Miller or Kozek on that 3rd line in my opinion is a wash.

This team needs it's first line to produce from here on out. Period. You can talk about balance, but this team will advance on the point production of Oshie and/or Duncan. Others will chip in but that is the reality of this time of year. Kozek gives the other 2 a better chance to produce than Miller. Miller or Kozek on that 3rd line in my opinion is a wash.

i personally think kozek is a better fit than miller on either line.....he adds the physical with the ability to score on the first line, and the ability to score along with the physical on the 3rd line......

triouxper.... i don't think anyone is throwing miller under the bus, i don't think i've read anything here where anyone is flat out saying that he sucks or it's his fault or he's a PoS.... but you are right about him needing to step it up next year as a senior and provide some scoring...hopefully the injury bug is done biting this team

Duncan/Oshie/Miller

Kaip/VV/Watkins

Frattin/Kozek/Martens

Malone/Zajac/Radke

Finley/Genoway

Chorney/Bina

Jones/Marto

If the first line doesn't roll this time of year, the season ends very quickly. I would rather sacrifice the production of a 3rd or 4th line, for a top line with more potential. Besides, the best game Miller has had in the last half of the season was when he skated with Frattin and Martens in the Sat MTU series. He generated chances for both Frattin and Martens, not to mention he scored a goal. When he is on the Osh/Dunc line, he is skating against the opposing teams best defensive unit which forces him to play in tighter spaces. Miller has and will be a more impact player with Frattin and Martens because they will have a match-up that will be more advantagous for our squad.

Hak took a swipe at that in the coaches show.

http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/

On injuries:

The biggest question mark is Derrick LaPoint. The hit from behind that he took gave him post-concussion syndrome. That was from a two-minute penalty.

Hak took a swipe at that in the coaches show.

http://boardsroom.blogspot.com/

On injuries:

The biggest question mark is Derrick LaPoint. The hit from behind that he took gave him post-concussion syndrome. That was from a two-minute penalty.

Let's hope LaPoint is back and healthy soon, but even if he was ready to go this weekend, I still think Marto would have been along side Jones due to his speed and UND playing on the bigger ice.

With Trupp back, I don't know if he should crack the line-up.

Is Trupp back?!?

Sorry, I only have internet service at work until later today so haven't kept up with the threads. I know he was going to start skating on Monday but is he going to be playing?? Sure hope so but not at the expense of a re-injury which can be harder to recover from than an initial injury!

Is Trupp back?!?

Sorry, I only have internet service at work until later today so haven't kept up with the threads. I know he was going to start skating on Monday but is he going to be playing?? Sure hope so but not at the expense of a re-injury which can be harder to recover from than an initial injury!

According to Hak Trupp will not be in the lineup for the weekend. I agree it would be nice but you sure don't want to rush a broken bone. The kid's got lots of hockey ahead of him. So with Lapoint not being healthy who is the 7th defence to go on the trip. Also who do they take avidson or Forney for the extra forward?? I think it will probably be Davidson cause he dressed for pregame warmups last weekend when Bina had the flu. Radke would have moved back to D and he would have gone in the 4th line fwd

If the first line doesn't roll this time of year, the season ends very quickly. I would rather sacrifice the production of a 3rd or 4th line, for a top line with more potential. Besides, the best game Miller has had in the last half of the season was when he skated with Frattin and Martens in the Sat MTU series. He generated chances for both Frattin and Martens, not to mention he scored a goal. When he is on the Osh/Dunc line, he is skating against the opposing teams best defensive unit which forces him to play in tighter spaces. Miller has and will be a more impact player with Frattin and Martens because they will have a match-up that will be more advantagous for our squad.

I agree with you completely. I think Miller gels nicely with the third line, where as Kozek seems to be non existent except with that top line. I was just responding to your question of why Miller is on the first line. Obviously Hak knows what he is doing, and I was just answering your question based on what I thought most likely would happen, not what I thought worked best. I agree we need our first line to play well, but there is no reason we cannot roll four lines and get contributions from all four lines. Hey I'd be happy if nine different players from all four lines scored on Saturday :D either Miller is doing things in games or practice that us armchair coaches aren't seeing, or Kozek is not doing things in games and practice that is keeping him off that first line? Either way, I think flip flopping Kozek and Miller has been more productive this season, but based on Hak's comments, I have a feeling Miller will be on that first line again.