SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX @ GOPHERS

AZSIOUX

Well there should not be any 180' goals this weekend, I doubt Frazee will get a start, Kangas has been pretty solid so far. A part of me is afraid to play the Sioux right now with the roll they are on but the Gophers seem to FINALLY be playing with some heart, so it could make for an interesting weekend.

With any team you cheer for and support, you want to see some consistancy. But even above that you want to see effort. Hockey is a game of bounces and luck on some nights as was evident for UND on Sat. But this UND team, like few I have watched, lacks total team effort by all guys night in and night out. It was nice to get the win Sat. but the effort was aweful. And that is not the first time that has happened at the Ralph on a Sat. night this year. If they (UND) play hard with great effort, this will be a great weekend of hockey to watch .

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that worries me about this weekend is that the Gophers haven't scored many goals of late and are almost a ticking time bomb to have a great offensive night one of these games. Being at home, playing one of their top rivals, just adds to the equation. Its not like the gophers have been horrible the past couple of weeks. They took three of four in Duluth and could have easily split with a Bucky team that is playing inspired hockey. Their goaltending is much better with Kangas, and they aren't giving up a whole lot defensively either in front of Kangas.

I'm hoping for a split. Get the two points, get back to the cities in March. :angry:

The one thing that worries me about this weekend is that the Gophers haven't scored many goals of late and are almost a ticking time bomb to have a great offensive night one of these games. Being at home, playing one of their top rivals, just adds to the equation. Its not like the gophers have been horrible the past couple of weeks. They took three of four in Duluth and could have easily split with a Bucky team that is playing inspired hockey. Their goaltending is much better with Kangas, and they aren't giving up a whole lot defensively either in front of Kangas.

I'm hoping for a split. Get the two points, get back to the cities in March. :angry:

dont see that anywhere on that team right now with stoa and okposo gone, at all

I find it interesting that this series is almost the exact opposite of the series in Minneapolis last year. Last year the Sioux were the desperate team that needed points to stay in the hunt for home ice. This year the gophers really need points badly. Last year not many people gave the Sioux much chance on winning one, much less two. Let's not make the same mistake and keep the gophers square in our sights. Hopefully the Sioux will match the gophers desperation with the hope to put the gophers deeper in the hole, while elevating their chance to possibly move up in the standings, and give Puffy another chance to change his mind about how good the Sioux actually can be.

The Gophers are struggling right now. That should work to our advantage and the week end should end with a Sioux sweep.

The Gophers are struggling...which makes them much more dangerous at home this weekend than usual. It will take a big effort to sweep Minny this weekend. Head-to-head, the Sioux have pretty much been dominated 4 of the last 6 periods against the Gophers and in all honesty, were lucky to gain a home split in December. Bring the game faces this weekend, boys, and things will be just fine!

:angry: I thought it was the Gophers who bombed Pearl Harbor??

Hakshomey's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

The Gophers are struggling...which makes them much more dangerous at home this weekend than usual. It will take a big effort to sweep Minny this weekend. Head-to-head, the Sioux have pretty much been dominated 4 of the last 6 periods against the Gophers and in all honesty, were lucky to gain a home split in December. Bring the game faces this weekend, boys, and things will be just fine!

I will be happy with 2-3 points this weekend. I also want to see Bickel and Finley go toe to toe.

I find it interesting that this series is almost the exact opposite of the series in Minneapolis last year. Last year the Sioux were the desperate team that needed points to stay in the hunt for home ice. This year the gophers really need points badly. Last year not many people gave the Sioux much chance on winning one, much less two. Let's not make the same mistake and keep the gophers square in our sights. Hopefully the Sioux will match the gophers desperation with the hope to put the gophers deeper in the hole, while elevating their chance to possibly move up in the standings, and give Puffy another chance to change his mind about how good the Sioux actually can be.

Agreed.

UMN is still dangerous right now. They have been getting improved performances from their defense now that Kangas has taken over the starter role in net.

It appears (from what their fans are saying at least) is that their offense is getting chances, they are just shooting wide/passing one too many times/etc. So we can hope that this isn't the weekend where they get it all together.

But I will still be happy with a split going into Mariucci, especially with how the Gophers dominated play at REA earlier this year.

Well there should not be any 180' goals this weekend, I doubt Frazee will get a start, Kangas has been pretty solid so far. A part of me is afraid to play the Sioux right now with the roll they are on but the Gophers seem to FINALLY be playing with some heart, so it could make for an interesting weekend.

How is getting rocked on Friday night and blowing a 2 goal lead on Saturday night against UW showing heart? :angry:

I will be happy with 2-3 points this weekend. I also want to see Bickel and Finley go toe to toe.

Bickel folds like an accordion in the first 10 seconds.

I wanted to go to the coach's luncheon again this year - but it sounds like the gophs aren't having them anylonger. Poor attendance perhaps.

Perhaps they've finally discovered shame.

I completely agree, I think that even the the gophs record of late hasn't been that stellar I think they are putting forth a good effort every night(which can't always be said for our favorite team in the green and white). as I eluded to in a previous post I think that the gophers are a very dangerous team right now, wounded and desparate. I sure hope the boys don't go into this weekend overconfident because if so they will come home with 0 points. this week kind of reminds me of December of 2005 when they gophers were coming off being swept at home by the badgers and we were comign off a 5-1 road trip and heading into a weekend series at the ralph agianst the gophs. everybody was saying at that time that there was no chance the gophers would win and we would would steamroll them. what happened next? we got swept at home. Kind of the same scenario now in which we are heading into Mariucci on a 7 game winning streak and they come in limping and not a lot of people are giving the gophs a chance this weekend. I just hope we can come out of there with 2 points this weekend because I think we will get the gophers best effort of the entire season this weekend.

I wanted to go to the coach's luncheon again this year - but it sounds like the gophs aren't having them anylonger. Poor attendance perhaps.

I heard the problem was threefold:

1. Not enough people to fill the seats

2. People got injured/choked on the appetizers and were out for the remainder of the luncheon

3. People kept leaving halfway through to go to the Wild luncheons.

I was very surprised to hear Lucia on the pre-game show on Saturday say he thought about starting Frazee but decided to go with Alex. I figured Frazee was done as a gopher but I got the impression Lucia wants to play him again soon. Maybe this weekend, maybe not.

dont see that anywhere on that team right now with stoa and okposo gone, at all

Barriball can score, he just hasn't this year for some reason. The gophers have guys who can pot the puck. Carman has been solid so far, with at least a couple of goals. I, too, worry about things opening up on the Sioux especially if the Sioux make ill advised decisions with the puck, and I've seen too much of that over the last month.

If there is one positive to take from the horrible performance this last Saturday, the Sioux won't/shouldn't go into Mariucci with big heads. Someone said it earlier, but the coaches should have everyone's attention this week in practice. This is the first time I can remember the Sioux winning but the day after I still felt like it was a loss. Hopefully the boys can use that embarrassment to propel them to a better effort this weekend.

I think goaltending will tell the story this weekend, both ways.

Gophs have scored 11 goals in their last 6 and UND has given up 13 in their last 8. That is a trend I would like to see continue this coming weekend.

Don't forget that 5 of the last 6 games UND has only given up 6 goals. 12 of 25 games UND has given up a goal or less in their games. That is pretty good defense.

Don't forget that 5 of the last 6 games UND has only given up 6 goals. 12 of 25 games UND has given up a goal or less in their games. That is pretty good defense.

In general, yes. But not this past Sat. :angry: It was all JPL!