SiouxSports.com Forum

BEYOND THE POND with Puffy

Oxbow6

just another thing for our lads to be motivated about this weekend.

I don't care too much what Puffy thinks, but as to the question of depth I like the direction things are headed with the Sioux. Am I the only one who feels this is the first time in years we have a legit chance to score on at least 3 lines?

Obviously the Oshie line is a given threat.

Kaip's line has become a threat at any time.

And now the Trupp line can score as well.

It seems like most years after we get past the first line or maybe line and a half it's been pretty rough expecting to get a goal now and then. Now, I think there's a chance on any of the 3 lines, any game, not to mention from the D. I think the lack of depth perception might come from the top line not being a totally dominating offensive machine like some people might have expected. I think I'd rather have the balance.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after reading through this thread, it's become clear to me why its so hard to come here daily like i used too...and even tougher to want to contribute...seems like anyone that wants to disagree with something gets absolutely crushed and more often than not it turns to personal attacks. I am a die hard sioux hockey fan. I've also spent the last 5 years listening to PA and Dubay. First off, Dubay has never ever once said that he is an expert or analyst.....he will tell you 10 out of 10 times that he is a rube...flat out just a fan of the sport. He does love his gophers and very vocal of his hatred for anything Wisconsin. But, like some have said, he is not a Sid or a Mazsucko....i think he is very objective when it comes to college hockey. I also can hear him skew a little towards his gophers, but every fan of every team in every sport is going to skew his views slightly towards the team they love. Does it make him a piece of s#!t like most of you are essentially saying?? No..it makes him a fan. I think that just the fact that he has a show called "beyond the pond" completely dedicated to talking hockey, NHL or NCAA is absolutely fantastic. I also love the fact that he now gets to mix it into the show and that they've been doing live remotes from surrounding cities when the gophers play there. He is very knowledgeable about the game, may not always say what sioux fans or even gopher fans wanna hear, but he's very plugged in. Now i don't agree with his being "shocked" if the sioux make it to the frozen four, but there is an argument out there as to why they might not, and i think that's been made very clearly here with their unsteady play, and the fact that they just got outshot on saturday 36-13 by a team that's won 2 games all year. They play like that in the tourney and it'll be 5-1 at best and we'll be saying our goodbye's to oshie and chorney and finley and whomever else leaves...if there is one thing that anyone should take out of this...it should be that sports talk radio isn't supposed to be expert analysis....it's supposed to be entertaining..if you want expert analysis...XM carries ESPN....call peter gammons and talk about baseball....don't look to expert analysis from talk radio...if that's the case, then dakota huseby is a genius.....(gf talk radio personality that has her head firmly planted in her ass......for those outside the listening area)

I just think coming from a guy who doesn't believe Holy Cross was that big of a upset, that he would not be "shocked" if a Top 3 team from the best league in the county makes it to the Frozen Four.

I don't care too much what Puffy thinks, but as to the question of depth I like the direction things are headed with the Sioux. Am I the only one who feels this is the first time in years we have a legit chance to score on at least 3 lines?

It seems like most years after we get past the first line or maybe line and a half it's been pretty rough expecting to get a goal now and then. Now, I think there's a chance on any of the 3 lines, any game, not to mention from the D. I think the lack of depth perception might come from the top line not being a totally dominating offensive machine like some people might have expected. I think I'd rather have the balance.

maybe by year's end we'll have a dominate top line and balanced scoring in addition.

I'd agree with you on that. I don't seem to remember having a lot of balanced scoring on recent teams, unless I go back to the teams of the late 90's. I remember in 2000, telling SoDak Sioux Fan before the championship game that we wouldn't win unless the Goren line showed up. In 2004, we had Parise and Bochenski; then we had DOT. This year, no one individual seems to be dominating the scoring, except for maybe Oshie, which is his talent level coming out.

I really like the position that our team is in right now. As long as we avoid games like last week and show up with our best effort every night, we'll be okay!

I thought that was funny.

Funny?? Which NFL fans are more loyal to their team good or bad?? Not the Vike's fans! Being a Packers/Sioux fan, I'll take that as a compliment :huh: even though Puffy probably doesn't see it that way.

Funny?? Which NFL fans are more loyal to their team good or bad?? Not the Vike's fans! Being a Packers/Sioux fan, I'll take that as a compliment :huh: even though Puffy probably doesn't see it that way.

I didn't hear it - but I would speculate he meant it as a compliment. Even Vikes and Bears fans know that the Packers fans create the best (or close to it) atmosphere in all of sports. It's not the Stadium - its the fans. So if he is comparing us to that - I'll take it. If he meant it as a slam - it is really purdy ignorant.

Tonight UND kills off 9 straight penalties and scores the game winner on their only PP opportunity with 2 minutes left in the game. Puffy implodes as cameras roll and verbally undresses the officials in the post game FOR HOW POORLY THE GAME WAS OFFICIATED forgetting his mike is still on ;)

Tonight UND kills off 9 straight penalties and scores the game winner on their only PP opportunity with 2 minutes left in the game. Puffy implodes as cameras roll and verbally undresses the officials in the post game FOR HOW POORLY THE GAME WAS OFFICIATED forgetting his mike is still on ;)

All the while goofer fans will call us a bunch of Halos...

:huh:

let me play too

After being butt-ended for the 4th time by Bickle, Oshie fires a puck at Bickles' junk. Since there is nothing there to stop it, the puck continues into the Gopher bench striking the Don in the hair (which he doesn't seem to notice) - instead of stopping, the pucks' momentum is actually doubled by the invinciblilty of "the do", deflects off a gophers players' helmet - interrupting his conversation on how to properly 'pop' a jersey -instantly knocking him unconsious. Still moving, the puck heads towards Frazee who reaches out to glove it. Still moving (you didn't think he would stop it did you) it continues into the stands where it hits Radke (which he doesn't seem to notice) - who climbed the glass and is now on top of "flag guy" who has finally shut up due to lacerations on the face, neck, head and chest - and drops to the floor.

let me play too

After being butt-ended for the 4th time by Bickle, Oshie fires a puck at Bickles' junk. Since there is nothing there to stop it, the puck continues into the Gopher bench striking the Don in the hair (which he doesn't seem to notice) - instead of stopping, the pucks' momentum is actually doubled by the invinciblilty of "the do", deflects off a gophers players' helmet - interrupting his conversation on how to properly 'pop' a jersey -instantly knocking him unconsious. Still moving, the puck heads towards Frazee who reaches out to glove it. Still moving (you didn't think he would stop it did you) it continues into the stands where it hits Radke (which he doesn't seem to notice) - who climbed the glass and is now on top of "flag guy" who has finally shut up due to lacerations on the face, neck, head and chest - and drops to the floor.

:sad: You win!

let me play too

Now you're just being silly.

Was buzzing around Fargo this morning when I caught "Beyond the Pond" with Puffy and his crew. Puffy said there was not much of chance that UND could get to the Frozen Four this year. ??? He figured UND would be a 2, possibly a 3 seed in the big tourney. JPL is ok, not great, in net and not getting enough from Osh and Dunc. :angry: Also thought Duncan made a mistake coming back this year. But his Fluffiness thought that the Gophs still could get home ice for the first round of the WCHA? :angry: I must admit I caught bits and pieces, but it was obvious he thought after the 2 Colorado schools, everyone else was pretty close in the league. Did anybody else catch this??

Edit: Jeff "Puffy" Dubay of KFAN radio

I like how Puffy had to sit on TV tonight and talk about the game and still didnt think the Sioux were that great! Granted they didnt play very great the first half of the game but diffently stepped it up in the 2nd half and then wanted it more in OT!

I like how Puffy had to sit on TV tonight and talk about the game and still didnt think the Sioux were that great! Granted they didnt play very great the first half of the game but diffently stepped it up in the 2nd half and then wanted it more in OT!

I listened to a bit of the Gopher radio broadcast of the game tonight and they were very complimentary of Sioux players. They really talked up Marto's skating and said he'd be a big point producer in the future.

I listened to a bit of the Gopher radio broadcast of the game tonight and they were very complimentary of Sioux players. They really talked up Marto's skating and said he'd be a big point producer in the future.

This cracks me up. siouxkid12 chastises me because I 'bad mouth' Woog beacause Woog is nice to the Sioux. Now these posts! ???:angry: