SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Season: Glory or bust?

OETKB

One thing gopher fans are right about is how dominating Minnesota will likely be next year. If everyone returns, they'll have something like 16 upperclassmen to put on the ice!

However, I'm thinking there will be 1 or 2 key players that jump ship for the money. It's becoming more common than ever for WCHA players to leave early, and who can blame them with pro salaries as high as they are?

Something gopher fans might not realize is that UND only had 5 upperclassmen on the ice most of the season. That's a very low number. In fact, even in the dismal 2001-02 season they had 6 upperclassmen that played regularly.

Next season, UND's upperclass ratio will FINALY swing in their favor. I figure they'll have 12 or 13 upperclassmen playing games. Will they be better? Unquestionably. Good enough to win it all? Only time will tell. The way they ended this season doesn't leave me with a whole lot of confidence, but I'm hopeful.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the following will provide UND excellent motivation of making it to the final 4 next year.

- Hype about how good Minnesota is and how no one will be able to touch them.

- Hype of how great of coach Lucia really is

- Hype of how our 2/3/4 lines can't perform, can we please give this a rest?

- Just watching the final game tape, Gophers were a little too dominate

- Almost all WCHA teams are expected to be better next year.

A big key to next season's success will be managing the teams ongoing development between November and February. The team has to improve weekly during that time period and the 02/03 schedule did not help them in that regard. With all the travel at the end of the schedule, there was little room for player development. This was a real problem for the Sioux towards the season, as it is not only difficult to maintain any steady improvement hockey wise it is also just difficult to stay up with the academics.

Next season started two weeks ago for UND returning players. There are some big skates to fill from guys who have left and there are excellent opportunities for all players to step up and further their hockey careers. UND is a great program to be for these guys right now. Best facility in the world. Best coaching. Best fans. Time of your life. Go get 'em guys.

I agree that the Sioux will be plenty good through three lines next year - a lot of puck possession, cycling, and scoring chances, with hopefully a little better finishing. I expected better from the fourth line this year; they looked good pretty often, but the production never appeared. Until it does, I understand skepticism.

If second-half travel was a problem last year, then I would add that to the list of concerns for next year, since the schedule is again heavily weighted to being on the road in the second half.

I'm a homer, but I will be surprised if the Sioux aren't right there with MN at the end of the year. (Oops, did I say that out loud?)

The loss of David Hale is not my biggest concern about the 2003-2004 season. It is our nearly complete lack of goaltending. Brandt started the season looking good, but once on the road didn't do much to prevent the pucks from entering the net. He did look good against the Mavericks in the playoffs, but if he can't perform that well on a consistent basis the Sioux will be in trouble. Hopefully some of the goalies in the USHL who have committed to UND will help us out. The days of Goehring are gone; it's time to find the next great Sioux goaltender that can help put up an impenetrable wall in front of the home net!

Conference Only GP Minutes GA Saves Shots Save% GAA Record Win% GS SO

Minnesota 28 1716:00 81 653 734 .890 2.83 15- 6- 7 .661 28 2

North Dakota 28 1705:47 82 596 678 .879 2.88 14- 9- 5 .589 28 5

A snippet from future "get you through the summer" articles. ;)

What killed the Sioux this season was not lack of defense or lack of goaltending. It was lack of scoring, especially in the third period. I should also add that during the playoffs, the Sioux were an "incredible" 2-23 on the power play.

What did Thomas Vanek become known for? Scoring big goals in the third period for the Gophers.

There seems to be quite a bit of feeling here (among Gopher and Sioux fans) that the Sioux need an offensive defensemen (ala Ballard) to contend. I disagree, the Sioux defensmen can skate and move the puck just fine, and I like their defensive upside (again comparing to Ballard, who is defensively suspect imo).

Can't think of anyone's defensemen in all of D1 that could not have carried the puck out of their own end against the UNH team in the championship game. An extremely weak one man forecheck, although that implies one forward going below the goal line while the other two remain in front of it. The UNH version had one forward attempting to do everything in the offensive zone while the other two stayed around the blue line, with the dmen floating around neutral ice. That is not the way UNH played any other game that I saw this year. Don't know if it was by design or they just decided to play a neutral zone prevent for the whole game.

In UNH' defense, since it was still tied into the third (largely due to the play of Ayers), they did have a chance if a bounce, or one of the several big rebounds Webber gave up, ended up on a UNH stick. Little chance of that, however, with the forwards at the blue line for the most part.

They were certainly outplayed big time by Minnesota, and offered little resistance. Suprising to me, they certainly looked like a team that could compete with the Gophers in the regular season games.

Can't think of anyone's defensemen in all of D1 that could not have carried the puck out of their own end against the UNH team in the championship game. An extremely weak one man forecheck, although that implies one forward going below the goal line while the other two remain in front of it. The UNH version had one forward attempting to do everything in the offensive zone while the other two stayed around the blue line, with the dmen floating around neutral ice. That is not the way UNH played any other game that I saw this year. Don't know if it was by design or they just decided to play a neutral zone prevent for the whole game.

I agree...To me it looked like they were running some type of a man and a half forecheck, only not quite. I never saw anyone on the backdoor except on their only goal of the game. My JV High School team could have broken the puck out against that. They also apeared to be running a trap, and were more concerned about the offense of Minnesota than scoring. I don't think they were playing to win, they were playing not to lose.

The Sioux should be challeging the Gophers next year for the WCHA crown.

There seems to be quite a bit of feeling here (among Gopher and Sioux fans) that the Sioux need an offensive defensemen (ala Ballard) to contend. I disagree, the Sioux defensmen can skate and move the puck just fine, and I like their defensive upside (again comparing to Ballard, who is defensively suspect imo).

I'm not sure we really need a Roche or Murphy clone to have a complete team, but it is nice when the d-men can also score. I thought Schneider really improved his offensive game, I'd expect that to get even better next season. I thought Jones would have/should have improved his offensive output as well. Then again, if our forwards can actually manage to pull the trigger, than the dink around with the puck in the opponents' zone it'll be less of an issue. ;)

On another matter, personally, I'd take Money and Parise off the same line. They play differently, and they approach scoring differently. They can produce really well, but I don't sense any chemistry between the two where they can feed off each other's drive and talent. The "Line of Fire" from the 00-01 team had that chemistry, and when they moved down ice you were almost guaranteed a goal.

I might be an oddball, but I think UND has as much talent as any other team in the WCHA-- including the Gophs.  Aside from the obvious names, I really enjoyed watching Prpich come into his own.  I agree with ScottM in thinking he is going to be a strong force next year.  Fiesty, chippy?  .

I think realistic expectations for next year are no less than a top three finish in the WCHA, playing in the WCHA FF championship, and #2 seed in the NCAA Regionals winning their first round game decisively.  The goal, obviously, should be winning it all.  That is the goal every year, and should continue to be the goal until college hockey ceases to exist on this planet.

Long live the Fighting Sioux!

taz

First of all that was a wonderful post... I think UND needs to get tougher and fight through the hacking holding and crap that the teams like SCSU, MSU, Denver, Wiscosin and UMD are going to do to the Sioux next Season. If Brady Murray is as good as they claim every team in the conference is going to line up and try to hang on to the Parise, Murray, Bochenski line. Just like they tried with the Panzer line. This years team went great up until the time they started playing the ugly teams. Then I think the Big guns when ever they got hooked and held powted and stopped playing as hard instead of skating through it. Next season I want to see Bochenski fight his way through the hooking and holding; if his feet are moving he will be be drawing penalties...

I don't know I am not ready to write this team off but I can think of four players from last years recruiting class that need to pick it up... I am not going to name names but I sure most of you could probably make your own conclusions...

I think there were some nice surprises this season. McMahn plays good defense and is a decent players only will get better, small but mean and nasty when he has to be. Prpich I would love UND to have a line of guys with his grit and guts, he is also mean and nasty. I think these are the type of players Scott_M was talking about. Mike is definately the type of player I think UND needs more of, I can tolerate the penalties because he sends a message, and keeps people looking over their shoulders. Massen was good for 3/4 of the season, I know that guys has a lot of potential. Ryan Hale, didn't socre a lot but he is a good defensive player, I would love to see him play a little meaner though...

I am sure some of you are going: God Goon wants to have a team full of thugs and criminals. That might be stretching it but its not far from the truth, I want to see UND become feared again, I want teams to skate into the Ralph know they are going to lose and are going to be sore when they leave. I would love to see UND get a big goalie from the western prairies of Canada. I don't like small goalies. Karl was an exception. I would love to see a few more defensemen like Travis Roach or Curtis Murphy, I like Schnieder, Fehr, Greene, Marvin (got to love a kid from Warroad) but we need a puck handler. Both came from where Saskatschewan, I would love to see more Candians on the team, the hell with the nay sayers.

By the way UND is going to Miss Speedwack and Noterman these guys had heart and they played every shift like it was their last, there were also great leaders. I hope some of the younger players will follow their example. I am also going to miss Lienwebers stick with it attitude, he was a decent player that didn't always make the line up but was there when when needed.

I'm not sure we really need a Roche or Murphy clone to have a complete team, but it is nice when the d-men can also score. I thought Schneider really improved his offensive game, I'd expect that to get even better next season. I thought Jones would have/should have improved his offensive output as well. Then again, if our forwards can actually manage to pull the trigger, than the dink around with the puck in the opponents' zone it'll be less of an issue. ;)

The "Line of Fire" from the 00-01 team had that chemistry, and when they moved down ice you were almost guaranteed a goal.

I assume by "The Fire Line" you mean Panzer-Bayda-B.Lundbohm

Our offense did pull the trigger this year...quite a bit actually. They didn't crash the net as well, or pick up rebounds. Cycling the puck creates scoring opportunities, we just need to ask Raymond Bourque tips on how to have pinpoint accuracy.

I assume by "The Fire Line" you mean Panzer-Bayda-B.Lundbohm

Our offense did pull the trigger this year...quite a bit actually. They didn't crash the net as well, or pick up rebounds. Cycling the puck creates scoring opportunities, we just need to ask Raymond Bourque tips on how to have pinpoint accuracy.

Yep. Those guys worked very well together. When they got rolling, points were nearly assured. I don't see that chemistry between Money and Parise. I'd guess Blais will line Murray with Parise, but I'd like to see Money with his own line, and maybe McMahon or Prpich with him.

Towards the end of the season IMO, the team seemed almost afraid to shoot the puck. Alot of the time they seemed to wait for the "perfect" shot. I agree they should have gone to the net more often and worked for the rebounds and garbage shots. Accuracy? How about some new contacts? :huh:;)

Ok, gonna throw this out again........do you think Lundbohm could do well with Bochenski on his wing? Don't forget about Dave! I think he could have a huge year next year! He's a senior....and knows how to get things done in this junior / senior dominated league! He needs a wing who can SCORE! This year, I thought Massen started decent, but disappeared and look at where his goals came from? I would say from Lundbohm...........

Anybody else have the same thought? Or is it just me?

Breaking up Parise and Bochenski might not be a bad idea. When you have your 2 best players on one line the opponent puts out their best D, and Checking line. If you now break those guys up teams are going to have to give one of the lines a little room.

Might just be crazzzzzy Enough to work!!!

This past season can be broken down to this The Gophs started their charge toward the NCAA title when Potulny came back and UND's great season started it's long slide toward the toilet when David Hale went down with his illness. Pretty good proof that 1 player on a team can make a huge difference, especially when they are great players and team leaders like those two were.

This past season can be broken down to this The Gophs started their charge toward the NCAA title when Potulny came back and UND's great season started it's long slide toward the toilet when David Hale went down with his illness.  Pretty good proof that 1 player on a team can make a huge difference, especially when they are great players and team leaders like those two were.

I tend to agree with the premise that one player can make a difference. However, while Potulny was out, Minnesota also had other injuries too, but having Grant back seemed to spark them when it mattered. In our case, when Hale left, we should have had enough leadership from the other captains and the upperclassmen to close the gap. While nobody can doubt that having Hale around *may* have made a difference in some situations, I submit the breakdown in leadership was more problematic. One of the things that's really bothered me about the team the past couple of seasons is that we seem to lack people who are willing to kick somebody in the ass or otherwise get the slackers going. Blais can only do so much from the bench, or in the lockerroom, but I think a Leader has to really emerge over the offseason and get people focused on winning.

Screw the media hype, screw the polls, screw the road schedule, screw the officiating, screw the "bad" ice, screw who's staying or going on other teams, we have to take care our of own business and just win. :huh:;)

I agree that it is time for UND to take care of business next season. While it is always nice to see "Great season" and "Thanks for the memories" type threads at the end of a season, the fact remains that the end of last season was a major disappointment. They made the NCAA tournament soley by winning so many games early in the schedule, and they were a no-show vs Ferris State, who got spanked the next day.

The youth excuse is over...time to produce. The success of the program and its impact on Grand Forks is the only thing I care about. Individual players (and especially their parents) had better be ready for a lot of objective criticism if things don't come together next season.

That being said, I believe things WILL come together next season. Go Sioux.

Here is a copy of one of my posts from last spring.

In the WCHA

Scoring Offense: Games Goals G/GM

1 Minnesota 44 197 4.48

2 St. Cloud State 42 179 4.26

3 Denver 41 158 3.85

4 North Dakota 37 134 3.62

Nationally

1 New Hampshire 4.60

2 Minnesota 4.48

3 St. Cloud 4.26

4 Maine 4.23

5 Denver 3.85

6 Boston University 3.71

7 Air Force 3.62

North Dakota 3.62

If we just consider THIS past year's offensive numbers, and we wanted a top 2 finish in the WCHA and a Frozen Four finish in the NCAA's, we would need to be in the 4's in G/GM.

Dagies, I agree with your post for the most part, but here are some observations I have.

UND's penalty kill sucked last year. The stats reflect that statement. 6th in the WCHA in PK and 4 tenths of a percentage point from being tied for 8th. That is not good. Over the course of their careers, K and J did a great job, but last year just didn't cut it and not as to just those two players, but the whole team.

As for the power play, I don't know where UND finished nationally, but they were only 5th in the WCHA. With the talent they had, that is unacceptable. I hate to say this, but they need to take some lessons from the Gopher's PP. Every year, they have a very solid PP because they shoot the puck - pass, pass, shoot. UND seems to have difficulty with that concept on the PP. Their goal seems to be to run the two minutes down without getting the clock to stop. It is ridiculous - pass, pass, pass, stick handle, pass, pass, pass, stick handle, pass to the point where the point man (Lundbohm) attempts to put a weak wrister on net. What is that? Get a man in front and blast the puck and do it more than once during every PP.

All in all I have felt that UND's specialty teams have performed poorly and below expectations for the last couple of years. That needs to change for them to have a good chance next year.

As for leadership, they will have plenty of that. R. Hale was captain as a junior and he will be back. I see Schneider taking on a big leadership role and perhaps being an assistant captain.

And although I don't recall it being discussed on this board, I think Parise is a natural born leader. When the season started he was often found alone in REA shooting pucks, then slowly more players began to participate and soon the majority of the team was taking part and they were able to sustain those type of things throughout most of the year. When a freshman, solely through his actions, can get virtually an entire team to essentially mimic what he does (get up early, skate, head to class, shoot pucks, go to class, practice, study, skate, etc.) that is leadership.

I had wondered also if this might turn into Parise's team already next year. He is apparently a heck of a team player. He's also supposed to be pretty competetive, so I'm guessing that all the regional attention about recent college hockey events may inspire him to greater heights.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Parise had an "A" on his jersey next year...

jk, good points about the PK. I agree it wasn't great. But my question is do we even have the guys to play it up to the level we did last year? That is a question. On the other hand, some experts say the PK starts with the goalie. If that comes around maybe that bumps the kill up a couple of positions....

As for the PP, I also agree with you. It hasn't been great. On the other hand, it wasn't great when we could put Blake, Hoogsteen, et al on the ice either. That is why I didn't get much being critical. I've accepted serviceable.

If we could do one thing better next year it would be for the point men on the pp or the defensemen figure out a way to actually NOT hit the opponents shin guards with their shot. What an improvement that would make.