SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Season: Glory or bust?

OETKB

I submit the breakdown in leadership was more problematic. One of the things that's really bothered me about the team the past couple of seasons is that we seem to lack people who are willing to kick somebody in the ass or otherwise get the slackers going. Blais can only do so much from the bench, or in the lockerroom, but I think a Leader has to really emerge over the offseason and get people focused on winning.

I think you have a team full of leaders ready to emerge, but just didn't seem to do it this year. Heck, just because Hale was injured doesn't mean he can't continue to be a leader.

I think you'll see Parise step up into a leadership role next year. People say its a lot for a sophomore, but Potulny did it last year to some degree. I think the Sioux will be fine next year, someone will step up (and has to as Hale is leaving).

On an aside, the Gophers had a mission to prove. They felt underrated (for good reason) and that people feld 3 individuals did it for us last year. Our own sports writers (*cough* Sid *cough) said it wasn't possible. I think they were motivated a little more because of the lack of belief.

On the flip side, I think the Sioux buckled under high expectations and pressure to succeed. Its tough to have the pressure spot light on you.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On an aside, the Gophers had a mission to prove.  They felt underrated (for good reason) and that people feld 3 individuals did it for us last year.

I've actually wanted to make this point for a while, but wanted to let things cool down a bit first, lest it seem like sour grapes.

I think a significant contribution to the Gophers' ability to repeat was that they came into the season an underdog. When you're the favorite all season, it's very difficult to make it through the NCAA tournament. Using a Sioux example, after 1997 the Sioux were considered a likely champion going into both '98 and '99. Tee times in April were our reward. Then when the Sioux entered the 2000 "rebuilding year", we marched on to another championship (don't even get me started on the 2001 repeat near-miss).

This year the Gophers were expected to be a decent team, and expectations diminished after a slow start. Next year they're EXPECTED to win the national championship because of minimal player losses. The expectation to be the best (that wasn't on the Gophers this year) is what makes it really hard to repeat. On the other hand, the Sioux are reasonably confident of their prospects, but opponents don't share our optimism. That may make the road a bit easier for the Sioux, IF we field the quality of team of which these players are capable.

I think a significant contribution to the Gophers' ability to repeat was that they came into the season an underdog. When you're the favorite all season, it's very difficult to make it through the NCAA tournament. Using a Sioux example, after 1997 the Sioux were considered a likely champion going into both '98 and '99. Tee times in April were our reward. Then when the Sioux entered the 2000 "rebuilding year", we marched on to another championship (don't even get me started on the 2001 repeat near-miss).

Good point...I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I was wonderfully surprised to find the Sioux in the Championship game in 2000 (and even more wonderfully surprised the following season). I didn't at all expect to see the Gophers there this season, as I'm sure many people didn't. That is not to say that I thought they were a bad team...quite the contrary.

I agree that Minnesota's road back next season will be quite a bit more difficult than last season...again, not to say that they are not good enough to do it. They certainly have the weapons.

I don't know if the Gophers will 3-peat or not. I rarely make predictions on standings, wins or things like that.

But one point I'd like to make is how I think it is overstated when people talk about any extra significance there will be for Gophers' opponents to beat them when they are defending champs.

With the exception of the few non-conference games the Gophers play during the year, pretty much every team MN plays has a strong desire to kill them. It doesn't matter if the Gophers were average the year before or if they are coming off a season in which the Gophers were national champs..... teams want to wax the Gophers no matter what.

I don't think NoDak, UMD, SCCC, Bucky, etc. want to kill the Gophers any more or any less no matter what the Gophers did the year before. The Gophers are probably the team that most WCHA teams enjoy beating the most and I think that comes across every season.

I vividly recall a decent number of people (a few of whom are regular posters on this board) who talked a lot prior to this season on how the Gophers would struggle some this year because the national title from 2002 would somehow put a big target on them. My feeling was and is... when did that target ever disappear? It is always there anyway. The Sioux always want to kill the Gophers and so do other teams. That never changes.

If anything, the only thing the Gophers struggled with this year was some injuries. Not the opponent's psyche/desire.

My point being... you can talk about expectations and how that may work psychologically on the Gophers or their opponents but don't put TOO much stock into it.

My point being... you can talk about expectations and how that may work psychologically on the Gophers or their opponents but don't put TOO much stock into it.

Um...I don't know if it's possible to put TOO much stock into something like this. Repeating IS the hardest thing to do in any sport. All sorts of things go in to making the repeat the hardest thing in pretty much all sports. The fact that the Gophers repeated this season is a testiment to how good they were this year. They over came all of those little things that prey on the defending champions' minds. Yes, other teams DO gun for you a little harder. Even if they already have a deep rooted hatred for your team, they feel like they need to play even harder against you to prove that they can beat the Defending Champions.

Look at the NHL Playoffs. Already this season, the MIghty Ducks sent the HEAVILY favored Red Wings home in a four game sweep; certainly not because Detroit didn't play well, because they played just as well as Anaheim, even better most of the time. The difference was that Anaheim wanted, probably needed, to prove that they could go toe to toe with the Defending Champs and prove that they belonged in the playoffs. The Red Wings are just as good of a team as they were last season...well maybe not quite as good, but pretty darn close. Certainly better than Anaheim. Also during the regular season, other teams played harder against them only because Detriot was the defending champion. You can argue all you want about that not being true, but I watched a lot of those games and not one went by where this discussion didn't come up and everyone (from the players and coaches to the commentators) agreed that teams just gun for the Champions.

To get back to college hockey and the Gophers. I think it's hard to argue that teams in the WCHA didn't play a little harder against the Gophers last season than the season before. It's just that the Gophers played better. It also seems reasonable to believe that those same teams will be gunning for Minnesota next season even more than they did last season, because they really want to prove that they can knock off the 2-time defending champions.

Now...whether or not Minnesota will be able to weather that storm can only be determined after next year's champion is crowned.

Look at the NHL Playoffs. Already this season, the MIghty Ducks sent the HEAVILY favored Red Wings home in a four game sweep; certainly not because Detroit didn't play well, because they played just as well as Anaheim, even better most of the time. The difference was that Anaheim wanted, probably needed, to prove that they could go toe to toe with the Defending Champs and prove that they belonged in the playoffs.

The Mighty Ducks did not outplay the Red Wings...they played WITH them. There is one reason they won...

Jean-Sebastian Giguere...plain and simple He had over 150 saves in four games with something like a .960 save percentage. Even Rucchin stated yesterday after he scored the game winner that JS was the reason they won in four.

The Ducks sweep of a clearly superior Red Wings team emphasizes the importance of goaltending in hockey. The Sioux should be very good next year, but they clearly need better and more consistent goaltending to make it to the Frozen 4. It is rare for a team to win with mediocre goaltending, although Hauser comes to mind. That tells how talented the Gophers were in 2002-03 when they won it all despite Hauser.

On the subject of how players react to their particular opponents on the ice, the Sioux problems the second half of this year seemed largely mental. We all saw their talent, even in brief periods of some of the games they lost. They just seemed to play to the level of every opponent, managing to lose by one point to good and bad teams alike. The last 8 regular season game had 2 wins, 2 ties, and 4 losses (each by one point).

I fully believe the Sioux next year will have as many talented players as anyone. However, I also think it could still be "glory" or "bust". The big question is what changes are occurring in the mental game? What will make those players win next year instead of drop the close, late-season games?

• One big change is everyone is a year older. Can some of these young guys step up and be leaders?
  • Another change is a slightly better schedule -- still too many home before Christmas and road after, but the competition is spread much more evenly. I think a better balance in the schedule will help the team develop better.
  • A big Q is goaltending. I was convinced all Spring that our musical goaltending game did nothing to help the team mentally (and I was rabidly derided by other Sioux fans for sharing that opinion). If they can show any stability in goaltending, that could be a big mental change for the Sioux. Again, we don't need Goehring (who would actually win games for you), just someone "good enough" (who keeps you in games and gives you a chance to win). I think last two years we've tried too hard to force one of our goaltenders to become the next Goehring.

I don't know that repeating is hard to do simply because it's a repeat. I think it has more to do with the fact there are generally x# of teams per year talented enough to win it all. I think Lucia has enough ability to keep the team focused next year, but the fact is there will be other quality teams with the same goal, a team needs to avoid untimely injuries, get a bit of luck and put together a string of strong games at the end of the year.

I think it will be glory for the Sioux. I really think that the Sioux will be there in the end but so will the Gophers. Just to expand a little bit on Hammy's point is the "target" that teams wear. The challenge to the players and the coaching staff is what they do with that challenge. The sign of a great team is being able to get through that rough period of the year when you may be losing a game here or there along with a few ties and using that as a learning tool on how finish off opponents as the gophers showed this year. My point is there are some teams that play with a target on their backs all the time. The only two that come to mind are the Sioux and and the Gophers on any given year.

I agree with Jim's views on the goaltending situation. I don't believe that switching guys in/out really did much except alter the chemistry of the team. If the guys upfront know a goalie well, they can player better in front of him. Does the goalie wander? Does the goalie play the puck often? Can the goalie handle himself if a forward is crowding the crease? Moreover, I think the constant switching of goalies affected the overall confidence of the team. The goalies didn't have a chance to develop their own rythym and confidence, and the forwards/d-men may have spent more time playing overly "cautious" hockey, e.g., playing to not lose, as opposed to playing to win. That said, none of the goalies really showed the confidence and skill, at least down the stretch, to make the job his own. Brandt may be "the man" now, but he'd better play like it if Sedevie and Ziggy both show up.

I agree with Jim's views on the goaltending situation. I don't believe that switching guys in/out really did much except alter the chemistry of the team. If the guys upfront know a goalie well, they can player better in front of him. Does the goalie wander? Does the goalie play the puck often? Can the goalie handle himself if a forward is crowding the crease? Moreover, I think the constant switching of goalies affected the overall confidence of the team. The goalies didn't have a chance to develop their own rythym and confidence, and the forwards/d-men may have spent more time playing overly "cautious" hockey, e.g., playing to not lose, as opposed to playing to win. That said, none of the goalies really showed the confidence and skill, at least down the stretch, to make the job his own. Brandt may be "the man" now, but he'd better play like it if Sedevie and Ziggy both show up.

I disagree that goaltender switching is a bad thing. It can be a very good team. Examples would be most noticably the MN Wild. Fernandez and Roloson split duty and earned a playoff seat. Each showed moments of outstanding skill and incredible play and moments of letdown.

Last season the Gophers saw Adam Hauser step up and improve his play by having some nights off and splitting some time with Weber. This season Johnson was a stand-out in the Final 5 and Weber in the Frozen Four.

Even when Goehring (Sp?) split time both 'tenders showed great skill. And not knowing you opponents goalie on a given night can be an advantage to that opponent as well.

The Sioux may not have incredible goal-tending but you have enough talent elsewhere to compensate. They say its great goaltending that wins championships, which is true. Its not great goalies but great goaltending. Hence, Cornell, UNH, and Michigan just went home with nothing more than their great goalies on the bus.

I disagree that goaltender switching is a bad thing.  It can be a very good team.  Examples would be most noticably the MN Wild.  Fernandez and Roloson split duty and earned a playoff seat.  Each showed moments of outstanding skill and incredible play and moments of letdown.

Hmm... I immediately question any argument that can be summarized, "ZZZ is good. Look at the Minnesota Wild, they do ZZZ." ;)

Having a second viable goalie is undoubtedly a good thing -- stuff happens. To have that second goalie be viable, he has to get play time. Giving just one goalie ALL the play time is a bad thing. However, there's a line somewhere and I've never seen a successful team at college level or above that plays musical goalies to the extent UND did this Spring.

Problem is.........there is a difference between "rotating" goalies, and playing "musical" goalies!

It got so bad at one point, where nobody had a clue who would be in net! I don't even know if Blais knew minutes before game time! That cannot bode well for the team's mentality (not knowing, etc.) The goalies talk about being best friends off the ice....heck, why wouldn't they be? they're the only ones that knows what it's like to have their heads messed with 24/7! I would notice them when they'd get pulled, or start one game, and wouldn't even dress the next! How much confidence does that give a guy? Good lord!

Can you say "psychiatrist"? Maybe we need one of them instead of a goalie coach???

Just my thoughts.....I honestly think Jake will step up, and have a good off-season....training all summer, and come in and be #1! He's got the competetiveness! he can make the big save....puck handle....now he's got to stop those weak / back breaking goals and we'll be fine!!

Here's my stat on how crazy UND goaltending got (and I don't think non-UND fans really realized it):

No single UND goaltender exceeded 45% of the conference playing time last season.

I struggle to think of a successful team (I'll even call the Wild successful for the purposes of this argument) with a similar statistic. It's not a slam on the players. I think Brandt could have been "the man". I think Ranfranz or Siembeda might have been able to, also. Unfortunately, none of them were able to with 45%, 35%, and 20% of the playing time, respectively.

Do Sioux fans think that Blais might have hurt his goalies' confidence with how he sort of pulls them in and out of the lineup and moved them up and down the depth chart often? (I really mean that as an honest, non-flaming question)

I mean, I can understand using tough tactics with forwards and defensemen but goalies always struck me as being a different story and that you'd want to handle them more carefully. Goaltending seems to be driven so much by whether a goalie has confidence/mental toughness out there on the ice.

The times I watched the Sioux this year (and last year as well), it sort of seemed like the goalie was waiting for something bad to happen rather than standing tall, confident and challenging shooters. Guys like Brandt and Siembeda aren't talentless by any means so it would seem to me that their lack of consistently good play could be mental and lacking confidence.

Lucia seems to really be able to instill confidence in his main goalie and it has paid off huge the last two years (heck, if he can win it all with Hauser, who was hardly mentally tough, than he can instill confidence in just about any goalie with decent/good talent). I know Lucia gave Weber a key little pep talk and it really seemed to instill confidence in him in the Frozen Four and he played very well.

A team can bring in all the goalies they want but I would be concerned that it isn't necessarily a talent issue but more a mental/confidence issue where the goalies are wondering where they stand with their coach. Thoughts?

Also, do the Sioux have a goalie coach like Wisconsin and the Gophers do? If they don't, I'd imagine that doesn't help matters either.

Blais use of goalies is certainly a matter of discussion among the observers on the internet. Some support his strategy and some don't.

I think we would all agree that numbers of qoalies are not the key, it is the quality.

Craig Perry, former goalie for the Sioux has worked on a volunteer basis with the goalies this year, but I don't know if that would equate with the teams who have a full-time goalie coach.

Blais use of goalies is certainly a matter of discussion among the observers on the internet. Some support his strategy and some don't.

I think we would all agree that numbers of qoalies are not the key, it is the quality.

Craig Perry, former goalie for the Sioux has worked on a volunteer basis with the goalies this year, but I don't know if that would equate with the teams who have a full-time goalie coach.

Rob Stauber also does part-time goalie coach work (but possibly gives more time than others).

You guys were right I didn't realize that not one of your goalies saw at least 50% of the conference playing time. I like a 2 man rotation, but using 3 goalies consistently can be a bit much. I saw Ranfranz play in high school, he was decent but not a stand out at the time. I have to admit, I haven't really seen him play since.

Next year I think you'll see someone step forward (and probably the 3rd fall back). Looks like maybe Blais was hoping to find a stand-out and didn't?

Do Sioux fans think that Blais might have hurt his goalies' confidence with how he sort of pulls them in and out of the lineup and moved them up and down the depth chart often?

Goaltending seems to be driven so much by whether a goalie has confidence/mental toughness out there on the ice.

Hammy, you and I think alike on this one. I can see checking the guys out for a while, but after Christmas, you have to pick your man.

I've said it before and I'll stick to my guns on this issue. Goalies have a fragile psyche, and you can only mess with them so long before they self destruct. Your team will also crumble because of their lack of confidence in the goaltending decisions. This past year was the strangest thing I've seen. You stick with a guy because he's playing good, and after one bad night he loses his starting position? That's farging ridiculous! I'm still tring to figure it out... ;)

God help us if he rotates four next year! :D:huh:;)

I don't know if the Gophers will 3-peat or not. I rarely make predictions on standings, wins or things like that.

But one point I'd like to make is how I think it is overstated when people talk about any extra significance there will be for Gophers' opponents to beat them when they are defending champs.

With the exception of the few non-conference games the Gophers play during the year, pretty much every team MN plays has a strong desire to kill them. It doesn't matter if the Gophers were average the year before or if they are coming off a season in which the Gophers were national champs..... teams want to wax the Gophers no matter what.

I don't think NoDak, UMD, SCCC, Bucky, etc. want to kill the Gophers any more or any less no matter what the Gophers did the year before. The Gophers are probably the team that most WCHA teams enjoy beating the most and I think that comes across every season.

I vividly recall a decent number of people (a few of whom are regular posters on this board) who talked a lot prior to this season on how the Gophers would struggle some this year because the national title from 2002 would somehow put a big target on them. My feeling was and is... when did that target ever disappear? It is always there anyway. The Sioux always want to kill the Gophers and so do other teams. That never changes.

If anything, the only thing the Gophers struggled with this year was some injuries. Not the opponent's psyche/desire.

It would have been interesting to see UND play MN in the West Regional (although I'm glad it didn't happen). I'm guessing UND plays a much better game if it were Minnesota than FSU. Somehow UND just seemed totally out of sync during that game, though they did get some shots on goal. It appeared to me that their defensive game and transition game were curiously weak.

Someone made the point earlier about lack of killer instinct, and I agree with that. The UND teams of years past were NEVER out of games. I remember the Gophers one year with a 3 goal lead going into the third period and then the roof caved in.

Great college defensemen have a way of making a team's offense look really good. Any coach will tell you that the first pass out of the zone must be crisp and on the tape to accomplish a good transition game. Minnesota did that when they played really well this year, such as the games against FSU and UNH. Defensemen that can start a break out are key to skating teams like Minnesota and UND. If UND gets some really good skating/passing defensemen who can jump up into the play, it will make that Parise line click. Without that, they'll spend half their shift in the defensive/neutral zone trying to gain control of the puck.

How in the heck do I use that dad gum "quote" key. I highlight then hit the quote key and it shows up in an edit box under the post box. It seems like I always end up with the entire quote repeated, not just what I highlighted...someone walk me through this, please ;)

Just hit the quote button, then you can edit it in the edit box.

Blais is just like Florida Coach Mike Kenan, Dr. Hook... The goalie lets in two or three goals and out that goalie comes... It works for some coaches. It is however, hard on the goalies psyche... I think UND needs to have a goalie coach. Stauber and Mason did wonders with the Gopher goalies... Stauber helped Weber quite a bit this season.