SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Season: Glory or bust?

OETKB

The 2002-03 season is over, and the end wasn't exactly inspiring. The Sioux do have some good returning talent (even without D. Hale), but will it be enough to recapture the "glory days" of two years ago?

UND, like every program, is in danger of becoming just another WCHA program if we set our sites so low that we say "great season" after a flop like they had at the end of this one. Seriously, folks, you can't accept mediocre seasons for very long before your team is considered mediocre by everyone, including the prospective recruits.

So, the question is...Is this Sioux team good enough, given the roster we know about right now? That is, are they going to be good enough to challenge for #1 in the WCHA?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if we want to go anywhere next year we need to get some production out of our 3rd line, and maybe even the 4th line. Those lines blew this year as far as helping us put the puck in the net.

Tyler Palmiscno: 1 goal

Brian Canady: 1 goal

Colby Genoway: 1 goal

Ryan Connelly: 0 goals

Ryan Hale: 3 goals

Ouch. What do you guys think of moving Ryan Hale to defense next year? I thought he did better playing defense than forward this year. Not sure if Blais has any plans on doing that but just something I was thinking.

One more thing...I'd like to see our defensemen do a better job of putting the puck on net. Seems like we had a lot of shots blocked this year. Our PP sucked at the end of the year too and I think that's a big reason why.

What do the rest of you think?

I agree that the end wasn't inspiring, but the team did improve from the previous year, going from a sub-.500 record to 10th in the pairwise rankings. They will improve again next year, as most of the team is back.

Regarding the personnel losses, Spiewak and Notermann will be missed for their character, penalty-killing and speed. However, when you return 12 of 14 forwards and bring in 4 more, you should be better just with the added year of strength and maturity for the returnees.

Hale was the top defenseman and Leinweber was probably the number seven defenseman. While Hale's departure hurts, the team returns a solid "top four" of three juniors and a sophomore on defense, and I think this mature group will be very good.

Jumbo: 1,1,1,0,3. Ouch is right. I think we can reasonably count on good to great production from the following: Lundbohm, Bochenski, Massen, McMahon, Parise, Prpich, Murray and perhaps Stafford. My big question is: who will step up and produce from the rest of the forwards: Palmiscno, Hale, Canady, Connelly, Fylling, Genoway, Porter and Fabian?

I personally don't like Ryan Hale on defense. When I watched him, he looked like he was playing a new position, and really had trouble making the right decision with the puck in his own zone. There were times this year when the McMahon, Prpich and Hale line cycled the puck brilliantly, doing everthing but finishing. I'd be satisfied with giving them another shot at it next year, hoping that they finish better.

I think the talent is there to be the second-best team in the WCHA, behind MN. I saw enough from Brandt at the end of the year (some saves that were pure thievery) to be a little more comfortable with goaltending than I was heading into this year. If there's anything that concerns me, it's the two-year trend of not improving from Christmas to the end of the year. I had reasonable expectations for this year, even after the fast start. But for next year, my expectations are high. I'll be disappointed if they don't challenge in the conference and nationally.

As a Gopher fan from up North I see a lot of UND games so this is what I have to say on the Sioux next year, I think David Hale leaving is going to hurt big time, look how the Sioux played without him, but maybe now that they arnt counting on him they will play better. I think the move of Ryan Hale to defense would help them, it is a tough transition during the middle of the year and especially during playoff time, so I think with some more experience he will be fine. I think if they skate Parise, Bochenski and Murry together they will have the best first line in college hockey. After that with maybe the exception of Massen and Lundbolm the talent drops right off the table as far as forwards. The Defense will be fine but they need to find a way to be better at moving the puck and putting up some more offensive numbers besides Schneider, and I dont;t care what you guys say Greene is not a good player he is not an asset to the team at all. That is just my two cents I see them finishing in the middle of the WCHA unless one of there 5 goalies next year steps up.

The best line in college hockey - I'll take that. A very good second line - I'll take that too. And then the talent drops off? Offensively, I agree - although McMahon will anchor a very strong defensive 3rd line. The 4th line is a question mark although I challenge you to find another WCHA team not named the gophers that can pencil in 3 solid lines for next year already.

Defensively, the Sioux have the talent but will they respond to the loss of Hale? They looked lost without him the second half of the year. Perhaps knowing that he won't be there will help. I have to agree with you on Greene - I was not that impressed with him and thought Marvin had made better strides. But college defenseman is a very tough position to adjust to. I remember Doug Zmolek as a frosh with the gophs - he was brutal. But he turned out alright - 2nd team All American his junior year. So I'm not going to throw the towel in on Matt - too many hockey people think highly of him.

Defensively, the Sioux have the talent but will they respond to the loss of Hale?

I think that next season will depend a lot on how the defense responds to losing David Hale. We have the offensive talent, there's no question about that. But our defense needs to step it up a few notches next year, or we won't be contending for the WCHA championship. I liked what I saw from Brandt at the end of the year also, and I think that if he continues that play our goaltending situation will be much better next season.

I have very high expectations for next season, and I'm planning a trip to Boston for this time next season. ;):)

I agree that we should be pretty loaded on the offensive side, but I had expected some of the sophomores to produce more, especially McMahon and Canady. I was pleased by the progress Money made with his footwork, but his skating still doesn't match his hands. I would expect Parise to develop into a more well-rounded hockey player in the offseason. I hope he spends some time in the weightroom so that getting mugged is less of an issue for him. Same for Money too. Maybe that much of the hype is gone, Zach and the rest of the team can concentrate on winning and getting to the Big Dance. Massen was a good earner, especially early on. However, like some of the other forwards he as MIA at critical times. Prpich was a great find, and I expect him to really develop into a major threat. The addition of Murray and Porter, (do we get Stafford next season?) should definitely bring some talent, but I expect a bit of a learning curve to be built in too.

I pretty much expected David Hale to be gone after this season. However, I also expected Jones to develop into a more potent threat, but he's still a keeper. Schneider was a great player this season, and really picked it up. Greene had flashes of defensive brilliance, some dumb penalties and was schooled a few times. However, I think he'll still fit into Commie's skates as he matures. Marvin was a nice surprise, and I hope he'll grow into a major force on D. The addition of Smaby should help, especially if he puts on about 10-15 lbs, and I could also see him on the PP at some point as he has nice hands and good wheels.

Goalie ... only God, not the Savior, knows this one. I like the fact that Ziggy is going to try and walk-on. A strong goalie with solid confidence, and some attitude, is a good thing. I was impressed that Brandt seemed to find his game towards the end, but I think he still needs work. Siembida was a disappointment and I held out hope for him until the end. He was brilliant his first few college games, but for whatever reason, he just lost something. I hope he finds his stride again, now. Sevedie may be a question mark, given his neck injury. Even if he's fine physically, he's mental strength may be an issue, especially if he gets run.

I think the biggest question mark is who is going to step up and take command of the team. Successful Sioux teams have always had one or two guys who kicked ass when necessary and got the guys to play harder. I hope Ryan Hale assumes that mantle, but I could also see one of the younger guys like Prpich or even Parise wearing a letter next season. At some point, the chemistry of the team seemed to break down. In years past, a good rush almost always meant a goal. This past season or two, it often led to a dumb mistake or a lost puck. The intangibles have to fall into place. We have the talent, now we just need to take it to the next level and play like we're capable of.

I said this on another thread but when the Gophers played UND in January that Prpich was nothing but a hack. He changed my mind when I saw him play agianst FSU and will give the devil his due. He should be the break-out player for UND next year - and maybe even for the WCHA. My other observation is the lack of killer instinct. Pardan the cliche', but since Blais took ove as coach I've never, ever, felt comfortable with a lead when playing the Sioux. To me, that is the ultimate compliment but I didn't see it this year down the stretch. The body language just wasn't there, IMO, at the end of games (granted my limited exposure is important to remember). I don't know if it was a lack of leadership or a better explenation is the lack of leadership who could make their BS good at crunch time? But I found this surprising for a Blais coached team.

I have to agree Greyeagle. It just didn't seem like the team quite had the drive to finish games, whether it be to hold a lead or come from behind, that it had in the previous years. Hopefully that was just a product of being young and they'll shake that off this season. If not...I'm afraid of what next season might have in store. ;):):)

UND, like every program, is in danger of becoming just another WCHA program if we set our sites so low that we say "great season" after a flop like they had at the end of this one. Seriously, folks, you can't accept mediocre seasons for very long before your team is considered mediocre by everyone, including the prospective recruits.

Honesty I would say that it is going to happen. Beside Minnesota is not going to stay on top forever either.

Also, do you really care if other WCHA fans think our team is mediocre.

A lot of what Gopher Pucks says is true, particularly with respect to depth at forward and no proven, solid goaltender. However, I have to disagree about a few comments. 1st, Greene has a penchant for stupid penalties and at times was a liability. However, he was a freshman, and a much better skater and puckhandler as a freshman than Commodore. Commodore also had a penchant for stupid penalties, particularly his freshman year. Greene has the ability to be very good, better than Commodore. 2nd, although depth at forward is clearly an issue, Lawkota is correct that most teams in the WCHA do not have the depth.

Thus, to say that the Sioux will finish in the middle of the pack appears unrealistic. The Sioux should challenge the Gophers for 1st. The Gophers goaltending is also suspect, and although they are deeper at forward, the talent of the front line will not be as good.

I think we will be good enough to go all the way and so does Bochenski. When I was talking to him he said, and I quote, "National championship. We will be really good." So if one of our best guys thinks we can do it, we can do it!! I just don't want next year to turn out like this year. We have a very good chance of winning it all next year! :) I can't wait!

This season was a disappointment only in the way it ended. The sum total was about right where they should have been. Unfortunately, the last two games were showcases of uninspiring peformances for at least 3 of the 6 periods. They just couldn't put it together in the tourney, and bad play attracts bad luck.

However, it wasn't long ago when the miserable heartbreaking losses belonged to the Gophers. That Maine goal with four seconds left in the NCAA tourney was laughably painful. Now, who's laughing?

The Sioux slide might be harder to take because the dreaded Gophs are doing so well. However, the focus should be on improving, and they did do that. I think the Hale illness had a much bigger effect on the team than just his absence from the ice. The second half team was playing worse than the first half, and had a much more difficult schedule.

I might be an oddball, but I think UND has as much talent as any other team in the WCHA-- including the Gophs. Aside from the obvious names, I really enjoyed watching Prpich come into his own. I agree with ScottM in thinking he is going to be a strong force next year. Fiesty, chippy? Perhaps. But, man, that guy works the boards and plays hard. I also thought Massen was doing well. Defensively, Schneider was great. He can only get better and will perhaps become one of the team's leaders. And, no issues with Greene. The penalty magnet will learn to play a smarter game and be even more physical as well. Commie II?

I'm excited to see the big three on the front line. But, this isn't going to carry the team to the FF. As has been repeated to death, the bottom two lines need to help carry some load.

Goaltending? It's Brandt next year. If you're looking for a Freshman to save the day, you may want to stop looking.

I think realistic expectations for next year are no less than a top three finish in the WCHA, playing in the WCHA FF championship, and #2 seed in the NCAA Regionals winning their first round game decisively. The goal, obviously, should be winning it all. That is the goal every year, and should continue to be the goal until college hockey ceases to exist on this planet.

Long live the Fighting Sioux!

taz

Taz Boy,

I know this is a UND fan site so I understand that you are wearing Green glasses, and I am probably a little biased myself but I dont know what your smoking if you honestly think the Sioux will be as talented as the Gophs rnext year. Right now, they are won victory short of repeating as National Champions. They are going to be a lot better next year with just the loss of Demarchi assuming everyone else will be back and we bring in Irman and little Potulny, I am sorry but they will be close to unstoppable next year while the Sioux will be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

While on paper that may all be true, I'm going to hold off until about this time next year. We've seen pre-season favorites fail to live up to expectations in the past so I'm leery of predicting glory next year. I'm going to enjoy the run to the FF tonight and hopefully beyond. :)

While on paper that may all be true, I'm going to hold off until about this time next year.  We've seen pre-season favorites fail to live up to expectations in the past so I'm leery of predicting glory next year.

I'll repeat my response to StreakyGophers "Who can possibly be better than Minnesota next year?" thread:

I think Minnesota is going to be the best team in the WCHA next year in much the same way as everyone thought Denver was going to be the best team in the WCHA this year.

Taz Boy,

I know this is a UND fan site so I understand that you are wearing Green glasses, and I am probably a little biased myself but I dont know what your smoking if you honestly think the Sioux will be as talented as the Gophs rnext year. Right now, they are won victory short of repeating as National Champions. They are going to be a lot better next year with just the loss of Demarchi assuming everyone else will be back and we bring in Irman and little Potulny, I am sorry but they will be close to unstoppable next year while the Sioux will be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Please, what the hell are you smoking, your probably one of the 13 year old rubes that are already talking three peat before your team hasn

I think we will be good enough to go all the way and so does Bochenski. When I was talking to him he said, and I quote, "National championship. We will be really good." So if one of our best guys thinks we can do it, we can do it!! I just don't want next year to turn out like this year. We have a very good chance of winning it all next year! ;) I can't wait!

Bochenski might be a little biased in his statement. I have never met a player that didn't think their team was going to win it all. There is no doubt we will be contenders next seasson, but I wouldn't be so bold as to say we WILL win without a doubt :) . There will be a lot of really good teams next year in the WCHA, not to mention the country. I think we should just wait and see how it goes. To quote Barry Melrose..."There's a reason they play the games."

For any Gopher fan to worry about next year is stupid. At this point, it will be VERY diffacult for next years team to do as well as this years team. They may have a better record, but it is very hard to win the WCHA tourney and become an NCAA finalist. It is fine for Sioux fans to project results as they are done and they know what they have returning due to Hale signing early.

The Gophers could be decimated by early departures. It doesn't matter what the players are saying now, Vanek, Ballard, P. Martin and maybe Talackson could leave. It only matters if they enroll in the fall.

If one of the underclassmen defense leave early, the Gophers would have to replace two of the top four D. That would lead to many early season shootouts.

I'd agree that the talent levels for the Sioux and Gophers are similar, as were their WCHA individual statistics. But this year, the Gophers lines 2-4 really turned up the pressure as the season progressed. I didn't see the Sioux much, so I don't really know why they fared so poorly in the close of the season.

The thing that clearly separated the Sioux and the Gophers this year was the return of Potulny and the corresponding effort put out by the entire Gopher team. As a Gopher fan it has been incredible to watch.

I'm not above wishing bad things on the opponent. Taffe left early last year but that wasn't nearly enough. :)

The Sioux have almost always suffered early departures after championships (heck these days it doesn't even need a championship for guys to move on). Hopefully the sweet play of Vanek and Tallackson in the game tonite impressed some GM's enough to make them offers "they can't refuse".

Otherwise, next season we could be smelling the butts of the goofers again. Ugh, that's ugly.