SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

That would explain why they listed 1000 on the telecast. I thought it seemed a bit high, but I know the Strib was making a big stink a few years back about how they have been skirting the attendance and move to AA.

Problem is that MN does things backwards. They limit the number of big schools schools instead of the opposite. Since teams like Roseau and BSM move up it kicks some larger schools down like Bemidji a couple years ago.

Heard the STA kids and coaches have wanted to move up (and need to) for the last few years, but administration is against it. I know Bemidji opted up a few years ago and think they still opt up to play in AA now and would be A if they followed enrollment, not sure though.

It's really time for all the recruiting private schools to have own tourney or all in one section. Rediculous that STA has an enrollment of almost 1000 (all boys) and gets to play class A. At least BSM moved up to AA a few years ago.

Public schools recruit too. Warroad does it. My best friends sister was recruited from East Grand Forks, she captained their team this season.

Public schools recruit too. Warroad does it. My best friends sister was recruited from East Grand Forks, she captained their team this season.

Yeah I know I played in the same section as them, however the boys team doesn't really do it too much anymore, but I think something like 13 of 18 players on their girls team this year weren't from Warroad.

I think the rumor going around in the past is that if Warroad wants you to play for them they will go as far as finding a job for your parents(Marvin Windows). Not sure if this is true but I have heard about this even when I was a kid.

My daughter was asked to play there too and offered me a job at Marvin Windows. Glad we didn't go.

I think the rumor going around in the past is that if Warroad wants you to play for them they will go as far as finding a job for your parents(Marvin Windows). Not sure if this is true but I have heard about this even when I was a kid.

No that's not a rumor, that was true.

Moorhead high used to recruit in the day ( not sure if they still do or not). If a catholic kid grew up in Moorhead and went to Catholic grade school in Moorhead and then went onto Fargo Shanley, the Moorhead coaches would talk to the Parents of the kid and try to get them to switch to Moorhead high. This happened to a few of my friends that went to Fargo Shanley but were from Moorhead.

The fact is in alot of cases when it comes to kids going to private schools, it is the Parents who recruit the private schools NOT the private schools recruiting the kids. Private schools get accused of recruiting but since open enrollment emerged public schools are no different. ( Elk River hockey, Hopkins bball, Apple Valley wrestling, warroad etc..)

Moorhead high used to recruit in the day ( not sure if they still do or not). If a catholic kid grew up in Moorhead and went to Catholic grade school in Moorhead and then went onto Fargo Shanley, the Moorhead coaches would talk to the Parents of the kid and try to get them to switch to Moorhead high. This happened to a few of my friends that went to Fargo Shanley but were from Moorhead.

The fact is in alot of cases when it comes to kids going to private schools, it is the Parents who recruit the private schools NOT the private schools recruiting the kids. Private schools get accused of recruiting but since open enrollment emerged public schools are no different. ( Elk River hockey, Hopkins bball, Apple Valley wrestling, warroad etc..)

Not sure if they were recruited or if they decided to go their on their own, but 2 of Moorhead's better players in hockey this year are actually ND kids.

Not sure if they were recruited or if they decided to go their on their own, but 2 of Moorhead's better players in hockey this year are actually ND kids.

I know the announcer said during one of the games that Terry Leabos dad moved him from Fargo to Moorhead in 9th or 10h grade so that he could play for Morinville because the dad had played for Morinville in high school, probably a good decison for the kid.

There is open enrollment at public schools, which allow them to "recruit" like the private schools do. However, if you want to play for another public school, you have to move to that school your freshman year. No such limitation exists for private schools.

However, that isn't my beef with schools like Breck and STA playing Class A. My problem is, these schools play largely a Class AA schedule during the season, yet play in Class A in the playoffs.

Yeah I know I played in the same section as them, however the boys team doesn't really do it too much anymore, but I think something like 13 of 18 players on their girls team this year weren't from Warroad.

Don't know if those numbers are accurate but yeah Warroad is notorious. They also conveniently get foreign exchange students that play hockey. Haven't they even had Canadian players? There is a reason Roseau plays AA. If I have my facts straight the whole section was peeved in the 90s and threatened to not play Warroad. And their boys will start again. Warroad only recruits when a Marvin is coming through. So it'll be happening again soon. I heard that one of the levels (peewee?) only has 7 players. Hometown kids are starting to realize that they don't get to play.

And I'll agree with MNStateofHockey (which is what I said earlier). They need to go to AA or in my mind have their own section/tourney. I know public schools do recruit, but it's not as often as some of these private Twin Cities schools. Actually heard Rosen on KFAN today with Common and he said they used to have some independent tourney. I guess this topic was discussed but I just missed it.

Edited by Smoggy

Don't know if those numbers are accurate but yeah Warroad is notorious. They also conveniently get foreign exchange students that play hockey. Haven't they even had Canadian players? There is a reason Roseau plays AA. If I have my facts straight the whole section was peeved in the 90s and threatened to not play Warroad. And their boys will start again. Warroad only recruits when a Marvin is coming through. So it'll be happening again soon. I heard that one of the levels (peewee?) only has 7 players. Hometown kids are starting to realize that they don't get to play.

And I'll agree with MNStateofHockey (which is what I said earlier). They need to go to AA or in my mind have their own section/tourney. I know public schools do recruit, but it's not as often as some of these private Twin Cities schools. Actually heard Rosen on KFAN today with Common and he said they used to have some independent tourney. I guess this topic was discussed but I just missed it.

That number is accurate for girls team this year I talked to someone who played against them and a lot of the transfers are canadians. I know that is how they operate offer a job for the parent and get the kid, but I know most of the boys recruiting up there has stopped, but I believe Warroads bantam A's had like 10 players and somehow made the state tournament so who knows if it will pick up again or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious on what type of a salary they offered you? I recall hearing no less than 50,000 a year.

Before we got that far the head coaching job opened in Jamestown for girls hockey while we were in Warroad. I applied for it and got it and the rest is history.

Would Schmaltz and Lemieux have been drafted earlier in the draft if they weren't committed to UND? Also who is projected to be better?

The only team that had a chance at signing Nick Schmaltz was Windsor because they now have the rights to both brothers, it really didn't matter where they took him because no one else had a shot at signing him. As for Lemieux I think it's a good sign that he fell to the fourth and am happy he reconfirmed his committment to UND on Twitter last night.

There was a private school tourney and a Catholic school tourney until 1974.

A potential future recruit is gone, Paul Bittner of Crookston,MN to Portland of the WHL, very suprising since his dad was his high school coach and a guy who has been actively against players leaving high school early.

http://www.mnhockeyh...ferrer_id=32760

Why not play a year or two of USHL and keep the options open instead of slamming the door shut? Fine Crookston hockey is a joke but there are other avenues than going to the W.

Why not play a year or two of USHL and keep the options open instead of slamming the door shut? Fine Crookston hockey is a joke but there are other avenues than going to the W.

I don't know if its a joke, they aren't a top team but they do play a pretty competitive schedule. I was really suprised by his move, I figured he'd go back to Crookston and if he did leave it would be to Ann Arbor.

I don't know if its a joke, they aren't a top team but they do play a pretty competitive schedule. I was really suprised by his move, I figured he'd go back to Crookston and if he did leave it would be to Ann Arbor.

It seem's there have been more Minnesotan's leaving the high school ranks for Major Junior's this year than any year I can remember. I wonder why more and more are deciding to go this route.