SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

5 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

WiSioux apparently felt my comment was worth a -1.  I guess while we're all busy watching the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs, he'll be busy searching for the World Championships somewhere on TV.  

1. I am a female

2. I am in Ireland so I am not watching anything

3. I did check the scores online for the World Championships, and I do for men's hockey as well.

• Upvote 1

Holy Cross is upgrading women's hockey to scholarship as part of their drive to replace Notre Dame in HE.  The players can transfer there and still be a team.  UND fans have a bunch of Holy Cross jerseys, so the 209 fans can borrow them and still cheer them on. 

• Upvote 1

Don't want to go over the top with my feelings on this as we are now 16 days past when they were cut. I think they are going to lose a lot of the people that were sympathetic, but knew it was the right call. I realize they don't care, but it's really disappointing (but not surprising) to see them go the sexist route. We've talked about the stages of grief, it's clear to me that they have finally accepted that it's not coming back. This has turned their denial into anger and they are ready to go scorched earth on the University. They are going to (have the entire time) try to make the University look as bad as they can. The first couple weeks, I think it was more for sympathy, now it's strictly for revenge.

Now, I've wanted the team gone since the D1 transition, because I knew that as long as we had this anchor (Women's hockey), we would never be able to see what this University's full potential could be athletically. The sympathy I had though, is gone. I was annoyed by the team while they were on campus (because of the cost), now I truly dislike them.

• Upvote 4

22 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Nobody watches the World Championships, mens OR womens.  

8 hours ago, WiSioux said:

1. I am a female

2. I am in Ireland so I am not watching anything

3. I did check the scores online for the World Championships, and I do for men's hockey as well.

My apologies for assuming your gender, however, checking scores online for World Championships, mens OR womens, does not equate with TV ratings.  Little stock is put into the mens World Championships because most of the best players are bisy with the Stanley Cup playoffs.

More about UNM dropping M/W Skiing:

http://golobos.com/news/2017/4/13/f-a-q-regarding-the-discontinuation-of-skiing.aspx 

And they had actually won a championship in the sport! 

Where's the uproar that one of 30 (yes, 30) collegiate programs has folded and for all the lost opportunities for little kids who want to ski. 

Why was this decision made?
The current economic climate of both the state of New Mexico and for our institution is one that requires a very hard look at how we allocate our dollars and our resources.

Change NM to ND ... 

16 minutes ago, AJS said:

Don't want to go over the top with my feelings on this as we are now 16 days past when they were cut. I think they are going to lose a lot of the people that were sympathetic, but knew it was the right call. I realize they don't care, but it's really disappointing (but not surprising) to see them go the sexist route. We've talked about the stages of grief, it's clear to me that they have finally accepted that it's not coming back. This has turned their denial into anger and they are ready to go scorched earth on the University. They are going to (have the entire time) try to make the University look as bad as they can. The first couple weeks, I think it was more for sympathy, now it's strictly for revenge.

Now, I've wanted the team gone since the D1 transition, because I knew that as long as we had this anchor (Women's hockey), we would never be able to see what this University's full potential could be athletically. The sympathy I had though, is gone. I was annoyed by the team while they were on campus (because of the cost), now I truly dislike them.

The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. They are moving through denial (letter writing, etc) and into anger, next stage is "bargaining" (however they could sit in Anger for a long time).

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

More about UNM dropping M/W Skiing:

http://golobos.com/news/2017/4/13/f-a-q-regarding-the-discontinuation-of-skiing.aspx 

And they had actually won a championship in the sport! 

Where's the uproar that one of 30 (yes, 30) collegiate programs has folded and for all the lost opportunities for little kids who want to ski. 

Change NM to ND ... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you comparing Apples to Olympians?

• Upvote 4

I am going to leave this right here:  

“It’s a complete lack of respect of female athletes to refer to us as ‘boutique,’” Lamoureux-Morando told ThinkProgress. “I don’t think he has any world championships around his neck. It’s 2017, let’s get with the times.”    LMFAOLOLROTFL :0 :lol:

“The unity we had as a team, as women, it’s something people should take note of.”  :silly:

They are the most arrogant people I have come across in a long time.  Those two take themselves very seriously.

https://thinkprogress.org/university-president-cuts-top-womens-hockey-program-calls-it-a-boutique-sport-b787dac808a4

• Upvote 3

Poor Mark Kennedy. No shiny bead on a rope around his neck. No world championships. No global perspective.

Just ... 

• Three-term United States Congressman 
  • Advisory Committee on Trade Policy and Negotiations, serving under both Presidents George Bush (R) and Barack Obama (D)
  • Lectured and led research projects at the University of Pennsylvania, Notre Dame, the London Business School 
  • Served as an Executive in Residence at the Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School 
  • Director of the Graduate School of Political Management and Professor, George Washington University
  • Global Retail Business Development Lead for Accenture
  • Founder of the Economic Club of Minnesota
  • Member of the Council on Foreign Relations and Chatham House 
  • Former executive with Pillsbury and Macy’s

Oh, and then there's this ...

Kennedy’s book, tentatively titled “Engaging to Win – When to Collaborate, When to Compete, Succeeding at Both,” will be published by Columbia Business School Press in spring 2017. In it, he introduces the concept of “shapeholders” to the field of business strategy. A shapeholder is a political, regulatory, media or activist actor with no stake in an organization’s success, but great ability to shape its opportunities and risks. 

https://und.edu/president/bio.cfm 

• Upvote 4

I'd say Pres. Kennedy has a pretty good grasp on when to collaborate, when to compete, and when to succeed. 

And I'm pretty sure he was aware of the risks and rewards posed by "shapeholders" like former players, ala the twins. 

He made a tough call, like he has the experience for and he's paid to do. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

And the Millenials have/will started an online petition to get him fired. 

You know my opinion of online petitions: nearly as effective as hashtag campaigns. :D 

Talk (typing) is cheap; it takes money to buy good whiskey (or re-institute a WIH program). 

So, in all sincerity, forget the online petitions and hashtag campaigns and ...

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Women’s hockey costs around $1.9 million a year to fund, less than half what UND’s football program does, and the team has a huge impact on the Grand Forks community.

Most people point out that football and men’s hockey bring in more revenue than women’s hockey does. But it’s tough to make the direct comparison — after all, the women’s hockey team has only been around since 2002, while the men’s hockey team at UND was established in 1929.

Author addresses revenue brought in but then doesn't go the extra sentence to talk about Total Net Cost or Net Cost per Student athlete. Wonder why that might be? It wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the Net Cost for football and WIH are almost the same even though football has over 4x the student-athletes and that net number excludes other revenue/donations the football team brings in would it? 

... the women’s hockey team has only been around since 2002, while the men’s hockey team at UND was established in 1929.

Uh. So what. 

Henry Ford started making Model Ts about then too. He quit when they were no longer fiscally viable. So "age" makes no matter. 

MIH survives on its current fiscal viability. 

Now tell me about the fiscal viability of WIH. 

36 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I am going to leave this right here:  

“It’s a complete lack of respect of female athletes to refer to us as ‘boutique,’” Lamoureux-Morando told ThinkProgress. “I don’t think he has any world championships around his neck. It’s 2017, let’s get with the times.”    LMFAOLOLROTFL :0 :lol:

“The unity we had as a team, as women, it’s something people should take note of.”  :silly:

They are the most arrogant people I have come across in a long time.  They take themselves very seriously.

https://thinkprogress.org/university-president-cuts-top-womens-hockey-program-calls-it-a-boutique-sport-b787dac808a4

Has ANYONE verified this "boutique sport" quote yet?  ANYONE?  

“It’s definitely over,” a message board comment read, reporting that Kennedy told Idalski, “Women’s hockey is a boutique sport and never should have been at UND.”

A MESSAGE BOARD COMMENT ON USCHO.COM is now directly attributed to Mark Kennedy?  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Has ANYONE verified this "boutique sport" quote yet?  ANYONE?  

A MESSAGE BOARD COMMENT ON USCHO.COM is now directly attributed to Mark Kennedy?  

th?id=OIP.xT_Vj8QODb3agBlJ-najTQEsDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=219&h=165

Dicky Dunn wrote that, it's gotta be true...;) (Slap Shot)

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I think women's hockey is a niche sport.  

Blackheart:  "No way, it's a boutique sport that never should have been at UND."  

I can't wait for this quote to show up in the GF Herald.;)  

• Upvote 1