NORTH DAKOTA @ NOTRE DAME - Friday

173 replies to this topic

#141 Oxbow6

Oxbow6
  • Members
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the General set things straight if things get chippy or our guys keep getting CFB tomorrow.

#142 AZSIOUX

AZSIOUX
  • Members
  • 18,206 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Definitely some messy play but hell of a win! Saunders was as solid as it get first couple periods. We played a nice third period! Great move by Danny. That's a very tough shot off the back hand at that angle. Hak said he was amazed. Mattson realized defender didn't have a stick and sniped it. Nice play

Kristo4hobey

Sweep da Irish!!!

#143 J.B.

J.B.
  • Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Sweet

#144 Wilbur

Wilbur
  • Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Never a handshake after Friday tilt.  At least in the WCHA play.  Notre Dame played in Grand Forks last year, so it can't be a total shock to them that UND was following their normal protocol with the hand shake.

Thoughts:
~Saunders has to be in again tomorrow.
~Third period was the best period of the night.  First two weren't pretty.
~Gleason was better, but still turns the puck over way too much on simple plays.  Was a good penalty killer out there.  

Did not see the replay, but I'll buy the reff meant to blow his whistle.  North Dakota will take that bounce.

#145 burd

burd
  • Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

View Postscpa0305, on 23 November 2012 - 10:29 PM, said:

ND 36
UND 17

Have to take the win but also have to shore up in our own zone...it has been awful all year.

Good win.  Call me crazy, but I didn't think the play was terrible in our own zone.   They gave up a lot of shots, but they kept the puck on the perimeter pretty well, and many of those shots were easy saves.   Not to say Saunders didn't play extemely well--he did.   But they played as well in the D zone as they did in the O zone, where they had very little extended possession.   Kristo is really playing well in all phases of the game, including PK.  I like that Mac is usually good for a few good hits, but the guy takes too many penalties that have nothing to do with big hits.  But they got it done against a good team in their own rink--that's about all you can ask of them.

#146 yzerman19

yzerman19
  • Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

We are not being very effective at executing the cycle.  We are also not transitioning up the ice with numbers and speed.  That said, we are getting some decent looks based on great individual talent, and we are converting on a bunch of those looks.  

Saunders continues his sick play.

Not sure whats bugging Rocco, but he'll break out of it.

Knighter is just snakebit.  

Danny is having his best season yet- should be 20 and 30 minimum- that move was ridiculous

#147 brianvf

brianvf
  • Moderators
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Anyone have a vid of Kristo's goal?

#148 MissSioux85

MissSioux85
  • Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

View Postbrianvf, on 23 November 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Anyone have a vid of Kristo's goal?

The only thing I could find is this small gif
http://gickr.com/res...192fe576bc6.gif

#149 MissSioux85

MissSioux85
  • Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:00 AM

Highlights

#150 passit_offthegoalie

passit_offthegoalie
  • Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

View PostMissSioux85, on 24 November 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Highlights

NIce to see the goals in HD and everything, but it's too bad Notre Dame didn't show more actual highlights from the game.   Half the video is them complaining about not getting a free goal.

Anders Lee could've got to that puck a little quicker(before the ref blew the whistle), but he didn't.  That's hockey.

#151 burd

burd
  • Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Postpassit_offthegoalie, on 24 November 2012 - 02:04 AM, said:

NIce to see the goals in HD and everything, but it's too bad Notre Dame didn't show more actual highlights from the game.   Half the video is them complaining about not getting a free goal.

Anders Lee could've got to that puck a little quicker(before the ref blew the whistle), but he didn't.  That's hockey.

Still, that's a goal.

#152 Teeder11

Teeder11
  • Members
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Used to UND being on the losing end of those kinds of calls. Nice to see what comes around sometimes goes around. That's hockey. Now take care of business today, 'cause the Irish are going to be buzzing.

#153 willythekid

willythekid
  • Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

View Postburd, on 24 November 2012 - 08:00 AM, said:

Still, that's a goal.

It's a goal if the ref is standing directly behind Saunders, he wasn't.  They only person that knew that was a loose puck was Lee and why it took him that extra millisecond to react to it I do not know.  There is a very good reason why refs blow the whistle when they no longer can see the puck... we have been screwed on it many times too  so I for one will not be losing any sleep over this call.

#154 burd

burd
  • Members
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm sure Hak and the boys won't look at that goal and question whether it was a good or bad call but why the guy was uncovered at the goal mouth so long.

#155 Oxbow6

Oxbow6
  • Members
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

If we get outshot 2-1 again today, it will be an Irish blowout.  UND, no pun intended, is skating on thin ice with it's lack off offensive puck possession and overall poor defensive play.  Good win yesterday but this type play is not conducive to continual winning. Hands down Clark is our MVP to date.

#156 bcblues

bcblues
  • Members
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

We have to find a way to take Lee out of the game tonight.  He is clearly their go-to guy.  If we can man up on him and effectively negate his impact on the game, we will likely be OK.  I don't think we will be out shot 2:1 tonight.  Then again, we can't count on Saunders to save our backside like that all the time.....

At any rate,should be a good game tonight!

GO SIOUX!!!

#157 passit_offthegoalie

passit_offthegoalie
  • Members
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

Tim Hennessy will be on The Pipeline Show later today to talk about the Notre Dame series.

You can find a link to listen live here.   Believe it starts at 11 a.m. Central time.

#158 scpa0305

scpa0305
  • Members
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View Postburd, on 23 November 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

Good win.  Call me crazy, but I didn't think the play was terrible in our own zone.   They gave up a lot of shots, but they kept the puck on the perimeter pretty well, and many of those shots were easy saves.   Not to say Saunders didn't play extemely well--he did.   But they played as well in the D zone as they did in the O zone, where they had very little extended possession.   Kristo is really playing well in all phases of the game, including PK.  I like that Mac is usually good for a few good hits, but the guy takes too many penalties that have nothing to do with big hits.  But they got it done against a good team in their own rink--that's about all you can ask of them.

???....we must not have been watching the same game.  Agreed however on the big win.

#159 yzerman19

yzerman19
  • Members
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

I agree that most shots were not high success shots, but our passing has to get better.  We transitioned up as well as I've seen all year (which doesn't say much) we just got clogged up in the nz

#160 keikla

keikla
  • Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

View Postbcblues, on 23 November 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Where is everybody tonight?

Crickets.....

Pretty sure everyone was on the live chat...there were over 2,000 people on there for yesterday's game.

Reply to this topic