SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey 2011-2012

brianvf

Would love for Minnesota to match up with Maine in the first round at the "X'. Hopefully a little revenge for Maine for the last time they played there in 2002 National Championship game. Maine is also one of the hotter teams in the country, and they have a terrific top line as well.

Would be a fun match up. But Maine has played Minnesota at the X since 2002, it was the first game of the year in 2006-2007 season I believe. Maine won.

Maine, hotter team in country?? Have you seen thier record in Febuary games? They lost on Sat to force a game 5 and in thier last series against northeastern they lost on friday night. Then I looked back and they split every weekend in Feb. I would say they are happy to be in this weekends Hockey East Tourney.

Would be a fun match up. But Maine has played Minnesota at the X since 2002, it was the first game of the year in 2006-2007 season I believe. Maine won.

Was it some sort of Ice Breaker or Hall of Fame tournament or something?

Maine, hotter team in country?? Have you seen thier record in Febuary games? They lost on Sat to force a game 5 and in thier last series against northeastern they lost on friday night. Then I looked back and they split every weekend in Feb. I would say they are happy to be in this weekends Hockey East Tourney.

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?paged=2

I guess its all relatively speaking, but then you can argue the Sioux aren't hot either since they split at Denver, Duluth, and tied Michigan Tech. Aren't many teams without a few losses here or there down the stretch, but can't argue since Thanksgiving that they have turned it around like the Sioux.

That's not the only time that the Black Bears have played Minnesota since that national championship game, though. The teams met in the first round of the 2005 NCAA regional at Mariucci Arena, with the Gophers winning 1-0 in OT.

That's not the only time that the Black Bears have played Minnesota since that national championship game, though. The teams met in the first round of the 2005 NCAA regional at Mariucci Arena, with the Gophers winning 1-0 in OT.

Yeah, I was wrongly thinking that it was the last time they played them at the "X",

Yeah, I was wrongly thinking that it was the last time they played them at the "X",

I think you're TECHNICALLY correct...October of 2006 was the last time Maine played Minnesota at the X...the first being March of 2002. The 2005 game was at Maricci. :D

Found this stat from the weekly men's hockey notes:

UND has been particularly effective once the calendar turns to March. Over the previous two seasons, the Sioux have gone 19-2-0 (.905) in March, including 12 straight wins, and are 51-12-4 (.791) through Hakstol's eight seasons

That's a crazy win % in March. If UND could keep some of that success into April... :)

I read through some of the posts from around Thanksgiving...it is crazy to think how far this team has come since then.

Everyone was writing off this team (both opposing fans and our own fans) when they were sitting in 11th place in the WCHA and the injuries were mounting. Hard to believe that this same team is now a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney and just wrapped up their 3rd consecutive Broadmoor title.

This team has played with a ton of heart & passion to get where they are right now. They certainly aren't the most talented of Hakstol's teams, but they play so well together as a team and refuse to give up...whether it be on their season (climbing up from 11th to 4th in the standings) or in individual games (amazing comeback against the Gophers).

This team has already given more than was expected of them this season...none of us would have ever believed back in Nov/Dec that this team would be winning the Broadmoor again. They've already exceeded my expectations...but now I can't wait to see just how far this team can take this run.

Go Sioux!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only two days all season this team left me feeling empty were Sunday afternoons:

- a loss at Bemidji to make the record 4-7-1: I had no idea what to expect next at that point.

- a loss in the regional finals to end the incredible ride

And it was an incredible ride in between.

To the team: Thanks for the incredible ride. And please, please, please always remember what hard work brings. Remember it. Teach it. Use it to go where you've been, and further next time.

• Upvote 1

In late July/early August we expected …

Rodwell, O’Donnell, Grimaldi, St. Clair, and JT Miller to play a total of 200+ games.

We expected Panzarella, Senkbeil, and Pattyn to maybe see 30 total.

And Gaarder? Who’s that?

Instead,

Rodwell, O’Donnell, Grimaldi, St. Clair, and JT Miller play a total of 40 games in a UND jersey.

Panzarella, Senkbeil, Pattyn, and Gaarder play 145 games combined.

And we're still talking about a loss in a regional final.

• Upvote 1

In late July/early August we expected …

Rodwell, O’Donnell, Grimaldi, St. Clair, and JT Miller to play a total of 200+ games.

We expected Panzarella, Senkbeil, and Pattyn to maybe see 30 total.

And Gaarder? Who’s that?

Instead,

Rodwell, O’Donnell, Grimaldi, St. Clair, and JT Miller play a total of 40 games in a UND jersey.

Panzarella, Senkbeil, Pattyn, and Gaarder play 145 games combined.

And we're still talking about a loss in a regional final.

Devils Advocate

However IF Ferris State goes on to win the NC this argument will have failed. They have a grand total of 0 that's right 0 NHL draft picks on their team. You could say they are a team of Walkons Undrafted players.

Devils Advocate

However IF Ferris State goes on to win the NC this argument will have failed. They have a grand total of 0 that's right 0 NHL draft picks on their team. You could say they are a team of Walkons.

No, they are a team of undrafted players.

Surely Bob Daniels recruited most of them to play in his system. (Walk-on means not recruited and has nothing to do with draft status.)

PS - Anyone else notice how much Bob Daniels looks like the FSU logo on their jerseys? :D