SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology 2011

gfhomer

So I am reading USCHO's most current bracketology and the first thing that jumps out to me is the fact that if the season were to end today, BC would be playing in Manchester (again). I understand one-seeds should be rewarded with as close to home ice as possible. Here is the most updated version

West Regional (St. Louis):

13 Miami vs. 4 Denver

12 Dartmouth vs. 5 Merrimack

Midwest Regional (Green Bay):

14 Rensselaer vs. 2 North Dakota

10 Michigan vs. 8 Nebraska-Omaha

East Regional (Bridgeport):

16 RIT vs. 1 Yale

9 Notre Dame vs. 7 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):

15 Wisconsin vs. 3 Boston College

11 New Hampshire vs. 6 Minnesota-Duluth

Upon further review, BC's good fortunes with home ice in the NCAA tournament is disgusting. (Most likely due to the fact that I am bitter towards BC (as are most of you) because they seem to break my heart every year)

2010: Worcester

2008: Worcester

2007: Manchester

2006: Worcester

2005: Worcester

2004: Manchester

Enough of my BC complaining, what are everyone's (incredibly pre-mature) thoughts on the potential bracket?

Upon further review, BC's good fortunes with home ice in the NCAA tournament is disgusting. (Most likely due to the fact that I am bitter towards BC (as are most of you) because they seem to break my heart every year)

Enough of my BC complaining, what are everyone's (incredibly pre-mature) thoughts on the potential bracket?

I can't disagree. Keep in mind though that some site in New England is going to host a regional every year and it only makes sense (geographically and economically) that the best team in the area would get the top seed there. BU was tops in 2009 and I'm going to bet without looking back that they had a nice regional slant going for them too. I don't know if it's favoring BC as much as its favoring a college hockey crazed city with the largest popluation.

I remember being in Madison in 1999 when BC beat the Sioux. That was a bummer. You could argue that 1999 team was every bit as talented as the 2000 group that got their revenge the following spring.

Looking into the crystal ball I also see UNO and UND having some battles this spring. Whether its in the Final Five or in Regionals I think we'll be meeting again. I think they'll have a good run at the Final Five. I think Duluth's senior leadership will also play a role in the postseason. I predict a couple of WCHA teams playing at the Frozen Four in St. Paul.

Each week this has been done the Bridgeport region looks the easiest. A nice year for a west 2 or 3 seed to get sent to Bridgeport, although getting through another region and making it to the Frozen Four may be a more battle tested route.

Totally agree BC shouldn't be able to continually stroll out of their own beds in PJs and slippers to get to the regional rink.

I know "integrity" of the brackets is important and that this bracket is hypothetical, but these "western" regionals are an attendance nightmare. If the West region were to happen as is 80% of the Scottrade Arena will be bare. Green Bay will have decent attendance and the 2 eastern regional will be ok.

St. Louis IMO needs UND there...that is the only team that will put butts in the seats for sure.

Green Bay would be ok with UMD.

My crew will probably travel to either St. Louis or GB if UND is sent to either site.

So I am reading USCHO's most current bracketology and the first thing that jumps out to me is the fact that if the season were to end today, BC would be playing in Manchester (again). I understand one-seeds should be rewarded with as close to home ice as possible. Here is the most updated version

West Regional (St. Louis):

13 Miami vs. 4 Denver

12 Dartmouth vs. 5 Merrimack

Midwest Regional (Green Bay):

14 Rensselaer vs. 2 North Dakota

10 Michigan vs. 8 Nebraska-Omaha

East Regional (Bridgeport):

16 RIT vs. 1 Yale

9 Notre Dame vs. 7 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):

15 Wisconsin vs. 3 Boston College

11 New Hampshire vs. 6 Minnesota-Duluth

They may have been a #1 seed quite often - that usually helps you stay close to home.

I think the committee has put B.C. in Worcester because it's only like 20-30 miles away and they are trying to fill the building.

Based on the current PWR, the brackets would be very clear cut in my opinion. Straight bracket integrity with no need to move anybody to avoid intra-conference matchups:

East (Bridgeport):

Yale vs. RIT (or Atlantic Hockey Winner)

Union vs. UNO

Midwest (Green Bay):

North Dakota vs. Western Michigan

Duluth vs. Notre Dame

Northeast (Manchester):

Boston College vs. Wisconsin

Michigan vs. New Hampshire

West (St. Louis):

Merrimack vs. RPI

Denver vs. Miami

Attendance would be OK everywhere except St. Louis. I do agree with the opinion that the committee will try to place North Dakota in St. Louis if at all possible, but in this scenario, I'm not sure how they could make it work.

What about this crazy thought -- Hakstol vs. Blais for the national title?

. . . .

Now this would be one hell of a game in a house jammed to the rafters . . . .

It would answer the question, at least for a game, whether great coaching beats good coaching,

or whether great talent beats good talent, no matter the coaching.

Of course, as noted elsewhere, heart and maybe even destiny, good or bad, may have something to play as well.

With the Frozen Four in WCHA country this year, I would think the NCAA would want as many teams from the WCHA in the Frozen Four for a big draw and payday. I can see some bracket manipulation at work here. You know they would love to see Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin at the very least go to the Frozen Four. Now the chances of the Gophers making the F4 are slim and Wisconsin i don't think either. So from their perspective what other teams would they like to see as there best payday. As we all know it is all about the bengi's with these fat cats.

With the Frozen Four in WCHA country this year, I would think the NCAA would want as many teams from the WCHA in the Frozen Four for a big draw and payday. I can see some bracket manipulation at work here. You know they would love to see Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin at the very least go to the Frozen Four. Now the chances of the Gophers making the F4 are slim and Wisconsin i don't think either. So from their perspective what other teams would they like to see as there best payday. As we all know it is all about the bengi's with these fat cats.

not a very accurate statement as the Frozen Four is already sold out and sells out every year. so this committee conspiracy stuff doesn't pan out and won't as the committee has proven over the past however many years they go straight by the pairwise rankings for the field and placement of the field with the exception of minor tweak here or there.

Based on the current PWR, the brackets would be very clear cut in my opinion. Straight bracket integrity with no need to move anybody to avoid intra-conference matchups:

East (Bridgeport):

Union vs. UNO

Midwest (Green Bay):

Duluth vs. Notre Dame

Northeast (Manchester):

West (St. Louis):

Merrimack vs. RPI

Denver vs. Miami

Attendance would be OK everywhere except St. Louis. I do agree with the opinion that the committee will try to place North Dakota in St. Louis if at all possible, but in this scenario, I'm not sure how they could make it work.

As a Sioux fan, there's no way I would complain about BC's bracket. Look who they face...rematch of last year's NC game, then UNH or Michigan. That's a TOUGH bracket! Contrast that with UND's. I know in a one-and-done anyone is susceptible to an upset, but still. Despite them getting home ice, it wouldn't be a cake walk.

East (Bridgeport):

Union vs. UNO

Midwest (Green Bay):

Duluth vs. Notre Dame

Northeast (Manchester):

West (St. Louis):

Merrimack vs. RPI

Denver vs. Miami

USCHO has this week's Bracketology up, and Moy makes one minor adjustment to these brackets by switching Wisconsin and RPI for attendance purposes:

USCHO Bracketology - February 23rd

Also, Wisconsin blogger Chuck Schwartz put his brackets out earlier this week:

Schwartz Bracketology

He has a bit of a Badger spin in his brackets by rearranging everything to get Wisconsin in Green Bay. I find it hard to believe everything would get shaken up just to get Wisconsin close to home if they are a #4 seed.

At the end of the day, I have a feeling Wisconsin will be on the outside looking in, and the committee won't have to deal with a Wisconsin decision.

Schwartz Bracketology

He has a bit of a Badger spin in his brackets by rearranging everything to get Wisconsin in Green Bay. I find it hard to believe everything would get shaken up just to get Wisconsin close to home if they are a #4 seed.

At the end of the day, I have a feeling Wisconsin will be on the outside looking in, and the committee won't have to deal with a Wisconsin decision.

Wisconsin is probably screwed since they went 1-9-2 against ranked teams this season.

Wisconsin is probably screwed since they went 1-9-2 against ranked teams this season.

When the NCAA creates a criteria that includes record against ranked teams then maybe. But now they don't so it's moot point. the closest criteria of the formula they have is records against TUC and Wisconsin is 7-11-4. Which is far from great but not as arbitrary as saying they are 1-9-2 against ranked opponents.

When the NCAA creates a criteria that includes record against ranked teams then maybe. But now they don't so it's moot point. the closest criteria of the formula they have is records against TUC and Wisconsin is 7-11-4. Which is far from great but not as arbitrary as saying they are 1-9-2 against ranked opponents.

I personally don't think Wisconsin is going to make tourney when it's all said and done. Unless they make the Final Five and play a couple of games.

I personally don't think Wisconsin is going to make tourney when it's all said and done. Unless they make the Final Five and play a couple of games.

Why? They have two for sure series (SCSU and (CC) who are both TUC's and most likely a first round WCHA play off match up against a team who will be a TUC (most likely CC). So that's 6 games against average at best teams that will boost our PWR with wins. Sure, we haven't had success against the top end teams, but we have had succes with teams like St. Cloud and CC. Wisconsin has a real good opportunity to improve their stock the next three weekends.

And what does making the Final Five have to do with anything? it's not like those games count for more than games this weekend. Especially if we dont' do well at the FF.

Funny timing, UND's own PWR situation is so boring that I just wrote a blog post on UW's this morning -- Minnesota and Wisconsin tournament watch

I initially only focused on this weekend, but just added a chart for all four remaining regular season games. Looks like UW really needs to win 3 to stay in a holding pattern, while sweeping would put them in the driver's seat. From the former position, a strong showing in the play-in round and tournament would probably be required to climb. From the latter, a respectable play-in and early exit would likely suffice. That will all become much more certain once the matchups are determined.

uwendofseason.png

I think another thing that might work in Minnesota's, Wisconsin's, or even CC's favor, is that we might see less likelihood of a non-pwr qualifying team winning an upset automatic qualifier bid. We don't have the CHA anymore, with BSU making it on numbers but a team like UAH winning the tournament. Only the auto qualifier in the AHA will make it. Plus, with the better showing by ECAC teams in the regular season this year, it's more likely the winner of their tournament would already be in anyways. The best chances for an upset win appear to be from BU, Western Michigan, Dartmouth, and maybe Maine. But I don't really see that happening. Pretty good chance, imho, there will be 15 pwr spots available.

My feeling is UND has a better than 50% chance of going to St. Louis as of right now. If WI gets into the tourney, I think that goes to 75%. Just a hunch, but the NC$$ is all about the almighty dollar and when push comes to shove, there isn't any other team that can or will attract fans to St. Louis to make attendance somewhat respectable other than UND.

It just confirmation of how the NCAA knows nothing about the college hockey culture. Regionals should be held in nothing other than college hockey cities/towns period. I get that there needs to be a capacity minimum for seating at the venues, but college hockey is a very condensed culture. In my perfect world, the four number one seeds would host the regional at their venues. They've earned it. And secondly the whole "no interconference match-ups in the first round" thing would go out the door. So you've got a true 1 v. 16, 2 v. 15, 3 v. 14, etc. etc.