SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Playoffs '10

jimdahl

Interesting draw for the Caps.... facing the league's worst 5-on-5 offense, but 2nd best power play offense.

The Habs have a wee bit of tradition, with 24 titles to Washington's 0.

It's cliche, but I kind of do believe this series comes down to the Caps not being too physical. They have to play Washington hockey, but have to leverage their playoff experience to be a little more nuanced about when to hit whom -- dare I say, learn a lesson from Pittsburgh's progressive experience that pulled them through last year.

Update -- this Ottawa/Penguins game has been fun. Good start to the playoffs.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game and a wildly intense finish! The only thing better than hockey... is playoff hockey!!!! I'm pulling for the Sens in this one. It's nice to see the WCHA represented well in the playoffs, is there a list of all the formers somewhere? I could figure it out myself i suppose, but I get lazy.

Anyone else fill out a bracket on nhl.com?

I've got SJS, CHI, DET, LAK winning first round in the West and WAS, OTT, NJ, BUF in the East.

here's my playoff guesses...

out east, the leagues best team caps take out the habs in 5

devils over the flyers in a tough 7 game series

sabers over the bruins in 6

and pens over the sens in 7

out west, san jose over colorado in 6

chicago over nashville in 5

la over vancouver in 7

and detroit over phoenix in 6

ovi and the caps overcome their crosby curse and take out the pens in another epic 7 game series

devils over sabers in 5, on a positive note for buffalo, stafford has six goals in the series :silly:

san jose over la in 5

chicago over detroit in 7

devils take out the caps in 7

chicago keeps rolling and another san jose dissapointment in 6

toews and chicago take the cup in 7 over parise, zajac and the devils in one of the best finals in history (and not just because of the former sioux :silly: )... three ot games

im sure this will all come to fruition and i will win... nothing :(

I think the biggest disappointment for Caps fans is the fact that Gainey was fired as GM of the Canadiens.

Why?

Because, if Gainey remained, Carey Price would have started this game and the Caps would have won 5-3.

As for Detroit's game...

This series could go either way. Bryzgalov gave up the weakest goal of the playoffs thus far (Holmstrom's goal) but then was pretty solid the rest of the game all things considered.

I love Howard, but he's a rookie. Not sure if rookies can hold up.

The last rookie goaltender to lead his team to a Cup Finals victory was Patrick Roy in the mid 80s. It may have even been the last time the Canadiens won the Stanley Cup. Not sure.

Brodeur didn't make it to the SC Finals his rookie year!

So, my expectations aren't too high for this team.

I think Howard can carry you for a deep push. He doesn't need to be stellar, just make a few big key saves and Lidstrom Inc will take care of the rest. But you know the Wings a lot better than I do. Out of all the teams in the West, I'd be least comfortable playing Detroit. That would be a battle for the ages.

Detroit isn't going to go very far this season, thankfully, I don't know if I can bear to watch their mind numbing boring brand of hockey.

Last nigh't game between the Kings and the Canucks was awesome. The game between the Bruins and Sabres blew chunks (I am a B's fan)...

plenty of time left in the series. I am a Wings fan and think they will get passed the first round put don't think they will get to the finals

if they can score 3 or more nightly they will beat the coyotes. if the coyotes keep it low they will win the series. the coyotes knocked thew wings around all night wednesday which was the main key. tonight will be fun, hope to make it over to the game!

Detroit isn't going to go very far this season, thankfully, I don't know if I can bear to watch their mind numbing boring brand of hockey.

Last nigh't game between the Kings and the Canucks was awesome. The game between the Bruins and Sabres blew chunks (I am a B's fan)...

The 2nd period was good, Goon...they just need to put the puck in the net. It's going to be tough to beat the Sabres, but I'm holding out hope!

that effort by crosby that led to the go ahead goal was just ridiculous, wow

the play where he saved the goal was great also

Crosby was good. The "goal" he saved was pretty easy though. If you watch the replay you'll notice that the puck was just about at a dead stop. Unless a Sen was miraculously able to beat Crosby or Fleury back to the puck (which I argue they could not) there was no way that puck was going to cross the line. Nevertheless, the set up on the game winner was a thing of beauty and his goal was just being in the right place at the right time for the rebound put in (like Kane's goal in the Hawks Preds game). Doesn't diminish Crosby's game in the slightest. He was far and away the best player on the ice. However, Fleury looked very shakey (very Team Canada vs Team USA Luongo esque).

I think the Sens COULD beat out the Pens if Elliott continues to play solidly, the Sens D holds out, and they put a ton of pucks on Fleury with someone in front for the rebound.

What was better was the commentating on the series of plays. They were good and NOT over the top.

There was no stupid laurels like the Olympics where they said "The Legend of Sid the Kid grows bigger!"

Vomit me a river.

Anyways...

I have faith in the Wings. I just don't see a rookie goaltender being able to withstand the playoffs. It's no fault of Howard's. Not many can.

Ed Belfour's rookie year saw him lead the Hawks to the best record in the West (maybe in hockey) and lose in the first round to Minnesota 4 games to 2.

Doesn't diminish Belfour in the slightest.

Of course, the following season he led the Hawks to the SC Finals (lost to Pittsburgh I believe).

If the Kings and Canucks was fun to watch, the Hawks and Preds were too.

Good grief, in the second period, the camera could barely keep up!

And Pekka Rinne is simply fantastic even if the Hawks helped him out a few times.

hey I've never been a Crosby fan - but he does seem to get better with age & the transformation from boy to man is happening very fast - I've watched him more this year & he does look to be getting better same as JT - now kane looks younger than ever - maybe it's the haircut :silly:

hey I've never been a Crosby fan - but he does seem to get better with age & the transformation from boy to man is happening very fast - I've watched him more this year & he does look to be getting better same as JT - now kane looks younger than ever - maybe it's the haircut :silly:

JT's moves on the ice last night was just plain sick.

Rinne made incredible saves on him, one short handed even. In fact, I think everyone except Rinne thought that was going to be a goal, even the commentators almost yelled "SCORES" before realizing Rinne made a great save and yelled "RINNE" instead.

I'm REALLY impressed with Rinne. If he continues to play like he did last night (which he will have to in order to have any chance at winning) the Preds could go deep.

I'll say it again: WOW I'm impressed with him.

On a seperate note:

I have a conspiracy theory as to why the Hawks were so dominant but failed to win despite Rinne's brilliance: The Chicago Cubs came to watch the game. Yup. When you have that kind of mediocrity in the building it kindof sucks the success out of the building. Luckily, none of the Cubs bullpen members were mentioned otherwise, Huet would have made an appearance and the Preds would have won 7-1...NO empty netters.

How about them Caps there Jim...

Another great game. Habs have to be killing themselves, missing the chance for a 2-0 lead at the last minute would've been a commanding series lead. Of course, that's what New York thought last year... Ovie still seemed pretty quiet, but with 4 points tonight (discount the crazy goal), I wonder if Boudreau is figuring out how to counter Montreal's double-teaming by putting him in a setup role? EDIT -- News stories today make it seem like Ovechkin was much more in his usual style of play in the first period, which is the one I didn't see live.

Another great game. Habs have to be killing themselves, missing the chance for a 2-0 lead at the last minute would've been a commanding series lead. Of course, that's what New York thought last year... Ovie still seemed pretty quiet, but with 4 points tonight (discount the crazy goal), I wonder if Boudreau is figuring out how to counter Montreal's double-teaming by putting him in a setup role? EDIT -- News stories today make it seem like Ovechkin was much more in his usual style of play in the first period, which is the one I didn't see live.

I thought the Canadiens were embarrassed last night.

Oh well. They had their hurrah.

Caps in 5

• 2 weeks later...
Going to the White out?

yezir! yotes have never won a playoff series since moving to phx so a huge game for the few puck heads out in the desert :D ive never been to a game 7 nhl playoff game before so very excited. hope for a great game. doan is still a game time decision which is huge. hes one of the nicest and hardest working guy in the nhl and has paid his dues here which is why its such a bummer he has been hurt.