SiouxSports.com Forum

25 year old Canadians at UND

petey23

Have heard that from so many fanbases, mostly Gopher fans(who by the way had 2 of the oldest guys ever to play in the WCHA in Woog and Debus) but others as well, even heard it this weekend in St. Cloud. So is it true? Doesn't seem to add up?

UND Freshman Forwards(ages are how old they are or will be by seasons end) avg. 19.8

Trupp 20

Frattin 20

Davidson 21

Malone 18

SCSU Freshman Forwards avg. 19.7

Mosey 19

Marvin 19

Roe 20

Barta 21

Osland 20

Volpei 19

UND Sophmore Forwards avg. 20.3

Zajac 21

Vandevelde 21

Forney 19

SCSU Sophmore Forwards avg. 21.3

Lasch 21

Nodl 21

Peckscamp 22

UND Junior Forwards avg. 21.7

Oshie 21

Martens 23

Kozek 21

Miller 22

Duncan 22

Watkins 21

SCSU Junior Forwards avg. 23

Borgen 23

Olson 23

UND Senior Forwards avg. 23

Kaip 24

Radke 22

SCSU Senior Forwards avg. 23.7

Mjelli 25

Hartmann 23

Dey 23

UND Freshman D avg. 20

Lapoint 19

Marto 21

SCSU has no freshman D

UND Sophmore D avg. 21

Genoway 21

SCSU Sophmore D avg. 21.7

Ammerman 20

Raboin 23

Gaudet 22

UND Junior D 20.3

Finley 20

Chorney 20

Jones 21

SCSU Junior D avg. 22.5

Carlisle 23

Swanson 22

UND Senior D avg. 25

Bina 25*

*had medical redshirt season

SCSU Senior D avg. 23

Brocklehurst 22

Anderson 23

Stephenson 24

Doesn't add up?

Next excuse?

edited

or as bad as your sad dog avatar looks...like you NEVER take him out...sad dog indeed!! BUT You're the king of criticsism so have at it...I'm SURE you know best... ;)

What the hell are you talking about? Never take my dog out? By your silly comments your definately not a Lab owner. I took him out for walk today and we were out hunting the other day. Yeah ok... I am pretty sure I am not the king of criticism.

That is the silly argument that Goofer fans like Happy use. We haven't had a 25 year old canadian for a long time.

You haven't won a Championship in a long time, either.

UND's recruiting has been forced to change, first when the NCAA ban stopped the use of former Major Junior players and the age limit, the expansion of the NHL signing everyone in sight, and lately, with the inability of UND to get older Canadians due to changes in Major Junior eduction benefits. UND built the majority of it's championship teams on having older more Canadian team than teams like Minnesota, and that brought with it many advantages. those days are gone, and now UND is forced, like all the other upper wcha teams, to try to grab younger and younger talent. Often, this talent is awesome, but it tends to be inconsistent, and, with the NHL willing to sign great NCAA talent earlier and earlier, it's gone before it ever gets to mature. Just think of what Toews would do for you if he had lasted four years.

hey, look at it this way, your teams were older back when you won championships, now you are just watching NHL draft picks come and go. At least your players aren't going pro in the middle of the season.

and, the reason I am very against the past use of older Canadians was the bad effect it had on developing American hockey, for every Canadian that got a scholarship, that was one less American who could have got a degree, and helped out the expansion of American hockey.

UND's recruiting has been forced to change, first when the NCAA ban stopped the use of former Major Junior players and the age limit, the expansion of the NHL signing everyone in sight, and lately, with the inability of UND to get older Canadians due to changes in Major Junior eduction benefits. UND built the majority of it's championship teams on having older more Canadian team than teams like Minnesota, and that brought with it many advantages. those days are gone, and now UND is forced, like all the other upper wcha teams, to try to grab younger and younger talent. Often, this talent is awesome, but it tends to be inconsistent, and, with the NHL willing to sign great NCAA talent earlier and earlier, it's gone before it ever gets to mature. Just think of what Toews would do for you if he had lasted four years.

hey, look at it this way, your teams were older back when you won championships, now you are just watching NHL draft picks come and go. At least your players aren't going pro in the middle of the season.

and, the reason I am very against the past use of older Canadians was the bad effect it had on developing American hockey, for every Canadian that got a scholarship, that was one less American who could have got a degree, and helped out the expansion of American hockey.

While I agree with some of your points, would it surprise you to find out that UND has not ever had a 25 year old player win a national title(at least one of the last 5 anyway)?

1980 -none, no one older than 23

1982- none, no one older than 22

1987-none, no one older than 23

1997- none, 2 24 year olds

2000-none, very young team

I think your confusing us with some other team. I can't remember any players at UND that were over 25 in all my years of watching UND hockey, which is since 1992.

While I agree with some of your points, would it surprise you to find out that UND has not ever had a 25 year old player win a national title(at least one of the last 5 anyway)?

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!

Way to put him in a box petey23.Take that happy. :D

Today's game is different from when Blais coached, back then recruiting all four year players was a good route, today it isn't and the numbers show for it. The teams that are in the frozen four and the teams that are winning national championships are not four year teams, they are teams that recruit top talent. I think the coaches realize this, which is why we recruit a mix of top level talent and four year players.

great point

I think your confusing us with some other team. I can't remember any players at UND that were over 25 in all my years of watching UND hockey, which is since 1992.

The last older player I remember was Jason Blake who was 25 or 26 in his senior year. He had transferred from Ferris Bueller State and had to take a year off because of the transfer.

Of course he was from Moorhead so that's ok.

North Dakota(7)>Minnesota(5)

petey23>happy