SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais as the new UND AD?

BobIwabuchiFan

Pres. Bruce Smith

AD Dean Blais

SOLD :D

Thats the leadership UND needs!

I'd vote for that combo...Sometimes I think we feel that we need to have a diverse experience outside of the Dakotas to help us better understand others and therefore we rationalize the need for someone outside of our geographical and cultural boundaries in the midwest. I for one feel that mentality is a poor substitute for choosing the right candidate for this position and I'm confident that Mr. Smith and Mr. Blais would be very successfull in these positions considering the last two generations of outside leadership for the University.

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say it any more clearly: PCM is right.

When's the last time anyone here directly contacted Kupchella, Harmeson, O'Keefe, even just Dan Benson, with your thoughts/comments/complaints/concerns? Throw Brekke or Ralston onto that list if you prefer.

I know Harmeson is pretty sick of my emails with questions and concerns (and he does reply). Then again, with an email he doesn't have to look at my face (which he's also seen more than he'd like).

And I have to agree with Virg Foss when he says:

... who wants to be the next athletic director at UND and why?

In a conversation with a current athletic director recently, he told me he couldn't think of a tougher job in the country than being the next athletic director at UND. ....

There are sound reasons why this current athletic director said he considers the job awaiting the next athletic director at UND to be extremely difficult, a job he said doesn't interest him in the slightest.

Given the way people treat UND* here, I know I wouldn't.

When you post here you reflect both on yourself but also on UND, and how its fans treat its people.

* When you berate a UND person here you are in some portion berating all of UND. Ever heard the phrase "praise in public, punish in private"? Given this is a very public place, please, try it folks; it's better for all.

When's the last time anyone here directly contacted Kupchella, Harmeson, O'Keefe, even just Dan Benson, with your thoughts/comments/complaints/concerns?

Within the last month :D

Given the way people treat UND* here, I know I wouldn't.

When you post here you reflect both on yourself but also on UND, and how its fans treat its people.

* When you berate a UND person here you are in some portion berating all of UND. Ever heard the phrase "praise in public, punish in private"? Given this is a very public place, please, try it folks; it's better for all.

Despite modestly playing devil's advocate over on PCM's blog post, I agree wholeheartedly and frequently try to remind people to think about how widely each post of theirs will be read. When you make a post you're not at the bar shooting the bull with your buddies; in addition to the usual suspects, your posts will be read by recruits, other school's administrators, potential employees, NCAA officials, etc...

Unfortunately, that's what some people with personal grievances are counting on -- being able to use the forum to more broadly exert influence and denigrate their "enemy". The only realistic long-term remedy I can see is for the community to continue to self-police, such that reasonable fan voices drown out the minority pot-stirrers, leaving it clear where the majority lie. It's worked quite well at times in the past, less so other times.

Wandering completely off into waxing philosophical now... one drawback to the disproportionate popularity of UND athletics and this site is that the forum reads much more like the forum for a pro team or major D-I team than a forum for a smaller market team.

For Blais to even comment as being interested in the UND AD position shows where his heart is.

Perhaps he's just leaving his options open.

For someone that's been an NHL associate coach to step down into a USHL coaching position can't be the most exciting proposition. Someone like Dane Jackson or Steve Johnson would probably love that job.

Maybe building a franchise from the ground up as coach/GM is exciting enough for awhile.

...what, exactly, should I assume? I know this is a favorite subject/theory of yours, so why don't you elaborate? What does it have to do with Lennon leaving? What does it have to do with who should be hired as AD?

*sigh* :lol: I now wish I hadn't even brought this up, but here goes: I DON'T THINK RALSTON WAS AT FAULT FOR LENNON LEAVING! Are we now clear on that? I didn't really even think this thread had anything to do with Lennon. Some had brought up who is supposedly at fault for any perceived turmoil in the department. I'm not even saying there's turmoil, but I attempted to use facts to say that I felt it was fair to question Ralston's decisionmaking. If you disagree, that's fine. However, given how I phrased my initial post, I feel that you personally attacking me was uncalled-for, and wrong. I'm not saying Ralston should be fired. I don't know what kind of job she's doing overall. If the next a.d. feels like she's doing a good job, then presumably she'll remain after her currrent contract is up. If not, perhaps she won't. If I were a.d., I'd probably want to surround myself to the extent possible with people I hired, but maybe that's just me.

That wasn't my point, but it's nice to know because it means that I know a whole hell of a lot more about the subject of spouses working at UND than you do.

Congratulations. :D

Should she have input on the decision? Certainly. Is it completely her decision? I wouldn't assume that. Nor would I presume to understand all the factors that went into hiring the current volleyball coach. But who knows? Maybe it was mandate from University Relations. :(

Whose ultimate responsibility was it hire a head coach in any sport? Tom Buning. Who has more knowledge about volleyball as between Buning and Ralston? Ralston. So yeah, there should be blame placed on both, but clearly Ralston must bear some of the blame for what appears to be a rather poor hire. Also, whose job was it to sift through the men's basketball applications, which ended up giving us as finalists Jones, two dII assitants, and a high school coach? As for your comment about a mandate from University Relations, that's ridiculous and you know it.

With all this said, I now plan on never criticizing another UND administrator again. It's not worth the backlash, regardless of how fair the criticism may be.

As for your comment about a mandate from University Relations, that's ridiculous and you know it.

Uh, you're the one who insinuated a "Twamley" (i.e. University Relations) connection first ... so does that mean ...

For those of you who don't understand:

Betty Ralston is Mrs. Don Kojich. If you don't know who Don is, get in the game, learn more about UND.

Uh, you're the one who insinuated a "Twamley" (i.e. University Relations) connection first ... so does that mean ...

For those of you who don't understand:

Betty Ralston is Mrs. Don Kojich. If you don't know who Don is, get in the game, learn more about UND.

It's ridiculous that Twamley would really care about who gets hired as volleyball coach.

EDIT: BTW, I also don't think it's a good idea to have one spouse working in a high-ranking athletic department capacity, and the other in Twamley. It at least creates the potential for problems.

It's ridiculous that Twamley would really care about who gets hired as volleyball coach.

Again, then why'd you first bring it up?

When's the last time anyone here directly contacted Kupchella, Harmeson, O'Keefe, even just Dan Benson, with your thoughts/comments/complaints/concerns? Throw Brekke or Ralston onto that list if you prefer.

I know of quite a few actually.

... And I have to agree with Virg Foss when he says:

who wants to be the next athletic director at UND and why?

In a conversation with a current athletic director recently, he told me he couldn't think of a tougher job in the country than being the next athletic director at UND. ....

There are sound reasons why this current athletic director said he considers the job awaiting the next athletic director at UND to be extremely difficult, a job he said doesn't interest him in the slightest.

Well I know of serveral people that would love to be the Next AD of UND. Dean Blais included.

I think the AD job will be a tough one because the former one got fired/quit , coupled with the fact that coaches are getting fired or quitting. Not because of people talking on a message board. If so, God help us.

Ah yes the "hide the truth" doctorine. "Jimmy is doing an excellent job. He is a very hard worker." Jane says to the "public." Then Jane tells Jimmy, "You aren't doing such a great job. You need to improve or you are fired." It is not a very good philosophy to live by. If there are problems that are not being addressed what better way to help create change than by UND fans (the people who care the most about the school) talking about it trying to find solutions. We all know certain people in the administration read these forums. And here's a shocker....they get ideas that they like and use them to better the university :D .

I am not blaming anyone for anything. I speak in generals, not about Lennon or Buning or any other adminstratiors at UND, but if there are potential conflict of interests in the adminstration they should be addressed and possibly changed for the future.

And as JimDahl pointed out

but if public criticism of the University and its administration is harmful, doesn

Okay...Okay...PCM seems to be all knowing and doesn't like to fling crap at anyone without his 3 confirmations from outside sources - good for him! Now, can we talk about your perceptions, not factual representations with 3 confirming sources, on why we think or why we don't think Dean Blais will be the next AD? I will start with why I feel he is the guy...

1. Proven success in Division I hockey and previous coach of the year at that level.

2. Successfull relationship builder with other teams in WCHA and ultimately within Div I environment.

3. He is trusted by the people of Grand Forks...Period.

4. Well to do Alumni like this guy and back him on his ideas. In addition, he has proven he has a link to these folks and can make things happen.

5. He can fundraise - see Englestad Arena and current USHL arena to be built in Fargo.

Any takers?

Don't assume anything. You know the rest of the expression, I'm sure.

So you're saying that the SWA who used to be a dI volleyball coach shouldn't have any responsibility for hiring an inexperienced volleyball coach at UND who is clearly not doing a good job? Whatever.

I never said there was any evidence of Kojich doing anything wrong. I just think in a situation where you have a SWA with such a "connection" to Twamley, perhaps it could be construed as potentially blurring the lines of who's "really" in charge? I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. As for my identity, it's none of your business. I do not, and never have worked at UND. Neither has my wife or any member of my family. That's all you need to know.

Coward. :D

Fred Wynne

UND alum '96

Canmore, ALT.

Okay...Okay...PCM seems to be all knowing and doesn't like to fling crap at anyone without his 3 confirmations from outside sources - good for him! Now, can we talk about your perceptions, not factual representations with 3 confirming sources, on why we think or why we don't think Dean Blais will be the next AD? I will start with why I feel he is the guy...

1. Proven success in Division I hockey and previous coach of the year at that level.

2. Successfull relationship builder with other teams in WCHA and ultimately within Div I environment.

3. He is trusted by the people of Grand Forks...Period.

4. Well to do Alumni like this guy and back him on his ideas. In addition, he has proven he has a link to these folks and can make things happen.

5. He can fundraise - see Englestad Arena and current USHL arena to be built in Fargo.

Any takers?

Dean would be a very viable candidate. I think Rob Bollinger would as well, especially with his proven ability to fund raise. He is very well liked and highly respected by almost everyone who has worked with him. He has proven he is supportive of UND and UND athletics. He has an excellent working relationship with most of the "heavy hitters" which he developed as the moving force behind the Fighting Sioux club. He was also a very successful coach and has the administrative experience now to enhance his resume. He and Blais, if they are interested, need to be on UND's short list.

Visit Blais squashes rumors

The conversation went like this:

Reporter: “Have you applied for the athletic director’s job at the University of North Dakota?”

Blais: “No.”

Reporter: “Have you talked with anyone from UND regarding the job?”

Reporter: “Are you at all interested in the job?”

That might have been enough, but Blais felt the need to go further.

“I bought a house in West Fargo and I’m happy with the way things are going in Fargo,” he said. “It’s a natural (to be mentioned as a possible candidate at UND). I’m sure that there are plenty of fans and alumni that might want that to happen. But they have to get a president before they get an AD. There is just no direction right now.”