SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais as the new UND AD?

BobIwabuchiFan

To all,

Unless I was drinking heavily during the Sioux-groper game, I heard specifically from Dean Blais during an intermission interview that he would be very interested in the UND AD job. He stated that people in Grand Forks want someone who can fundraise, who they can trust, and who has been successfull and Dean stated he that he had all of those qualities. Could this be the reason why Dale Lennon would leave because he knows Dean Blais would get the job and thus football may suffer with a hockey focused AD? Any thoughts? :glare:

BobIwabuchiFan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all,

Unless I was drinking heavily during the Sioux-groper game, I heard specifically from Dean Blais during an intermission interview that he would be very interested in the UND AD job. He stated that people in Grand Forks want someone who can fundraise, who they can trust, and who has been successfull and Dean stated he that he had all of those qualities. Could this be the reason why Dale Lennon would leave because he knows Dean Blais would get the job and thus football may suffer with a hockey focused AD? Any thoughts? :glare:

BobIwabuchiFan

I think it has a lot to do with Coach Lennon making an extra $100,000 per year for the next five years. $500,000 is a big number...just ask Bill Belichek.

Well ... with Lennon leaving out of the blue when we thought he was solid though 2010 ... I guess anything could happen.

I just wish UND would throw away the bad apple .... that being Philip Alan Harmeson. Has anything good happened since he has been associated with athletics ... or for UND for that matter? Ask anyone on campus and if they are off the record they would say Harmeson is a cancer. The guy is a kissazz and his position was invented out of thin air for him ... As long as he is in ANY WAY associated with athletics (heck ... maybe all of UND) he will continue to be the albatross around UND's neck.

I am really sick of all this bad news coming from the university ... moral is at an all time low ... we have idiots in charge that can't make a decision ... a lame duck president who is never on campus and doesn't actually know (or probably care) what his subordinates are doing ... alot of overpaid vice presidents ... and a hockey team that can't win on Saturday nights at home.

Where's the Tylenol ....

That wouldn't work. You'd just have to find another convenient scapegoat the next time something didn't go right. :glare:

Does anyone know if Blais has applied for the position yet? Also, is there any connection to Harmeson's new role and the advent of the issues with the ol' AD, grievances from Hakstol on the contract, and Lennon's approach to the Montana St. Job? Something's got to be driving this and I'm finding it hard to believe it was just Bunten since he's out of the picture and we have now lost our long term Football Coach?? Not looking for scape goats, but rather some correlation....

To all,

BobIwabuchiFan

Dean Blais as an AD would support FB. Too many people think someone's previous backgound will limit their support of other athletic programs. They will be evaluated on the athletic department. Sioux hockey is in very good shape financially. We need to get the University leadership structure squared away and that includes the role of president as well as AD and FB coach. The AD must then quickly do what needs to be done to evaluate the coaches and programs and get to work providing the necessary resources to keep the good coaches, dump those who are not good, and then provide those coaches with the resources for success.

Does anyone know if Blais has applied for the position yet? Also, is there any connection to Harmeson's new role and the advent of the issues with the ol' AD, grievances from Hakstol on the contract, and Lennon's approach to the Montana St. Job? Something's got to be driving this and I'm finding it hard to believe it was just Bunten since he's out of the picture and we have now lost our long term Football Coach?? Not looking for scape goats, but rather some correlation....

It can't be many people now that buning is out. Either Harmeson, Ralston, or Brekke or some combination. Personally I don't think it is Brekke. I tend to think that it may be Harmeson but it also may be a combination of all three.

I think some legitimate questions can be asked about Ralston's ability to work well with people and make good decisions. Her supposed expertise is volleyball, and how has that hire worked out so far? I believe she was also responsible for a very poor finalist for the men's basketball job (the fired Eastern Illinois assistant who was coaching in high school when he applied for the UND job). ;)

Dean Blais as an AD would support FB. Too many people think someone's previous backgound will limit their support of other athletic programs. They will be evaluated on the athletic department. Sioux hockey is in very good shape financially. We need to get the University leadership structure squared away and that includes the role of president as well as AD and FB coach. The AD must then quickly do what needs to be done to evaluate the coaches and programs and get to work providing the necessary resources to keep the good coaches, dump those who are not good, and then provide those coaches with the resources for success.

The idea of Blais as AD becomes more and more appealing with the loss of Lennon. Losing Lennon was like taking a cornerstone out of your house. Blais would fill that void: as he would give alumni an assurance that the transition is in good hands, would stabilize the Atheltic Department, appeal to big boosters, and his work ethic and competitiveness would translate into all the sports programs. With an assistant that has DI experience, it would work.

I think some legitimate questions can be asked about Ralston's ability to work well with people and make good decisions. Her supposed expertise is volleyball, and how has that hire worked out so far? I believe she was also responsible for a very poor finalist for the men's basketball job (the fired Eastern Illinois assistant who was coaching in high school when he applied for the UND job). ;)

My opinion on this continued foolish behavior.

My opinion on this continued foolish behavior.

Frankly, I resent that. I don't blame Ralston for Lennon's departure, but I believe the two examples I gave of her glaring mistakes are 100% accurate. If people have contrary opinions on her job performance, let's hear them.

EDIT: BTW, I also don't think it's a good idea to have one spouse working in a high-ranking athletic department capacity, and the other in Twamley. It at least creates the potential for problems.

The idea of Blais as AD becomes more and more appealing with the loss of Lennon. Losing Lennon was like taking a cornerstone out of your house. Blais would fill that void: as he would give alumni an assurance that the transition is in good hands, would stabilize the Atheltic Department, appeal to big boosters, and his work ethic and competitiveness would translate into all the sports programs. With an assistant that has DI experience, it would work.

I agree... I think it is now apparent that Blais is the best man for the AD job. UND is in dire need of some leadership at this point and Blais has the type of personality and rapport with supporters to garner universal support for the move forward as an athletic department. Plus, I've always loved his no nonsense style which is another quality the school badly needs in its leadership right now.

My thoughts exactly, but there is the situation where he is the current hockey coach for the Fargo USHL team...I wish we had a local as President (e.g. Smith) to make the decisions and go with it....

My thoughts exactly, but there is the situation where he is the current hockey coach for the Fargo USHL team...I wish we had a local as President (e.g. Smith) to make the decisions and go with it....
For Blais to even comment as being interested in the UND AD position shows where his heart is. For someone that's been an NHL associate coach to step down into a USHL coaching position can't be the most exciting proposition. Someone like Dane Jackson or Steve Johnson would probably love that job.

I don't blame Ralston for Lennon's departure, but I believe the two examples I gave of her glaring mistakes are 100% accurate.

Your post appeared to be timed and worded to suggest that Ralston had something to do with Lennon's departure. Perhaps you should criticize Ralston on the job she was hired to do rather than her ability to coach volleyball or hire basketball coaches, which isn't her job.

EDIT: BTW, I also don't think it's a good idea to have one spouse working in a high-ranking athletic department capacity, and the other in Twamley. It at least creates the potential for problems.

Then have fun purging UND of all such situations because there are some potentially more problematic than the one you cite.

And I'll add: There you go again. How about posting some evidence of the problems caused by Ralston and her spouse before making such broad accusations? Better yet, put your real name on your accusations and opinions so we can all have a better understanding of your prespective on these issues.

Your post appeared to be timed and worded to suggest that Ralston had something to do with Lennon's departure. Perhaps you should criticize Ralston on the job she was hired to do rather than her ability to coach volleyball or hire basketball coaches, which isn't her job.

Don't assume anything. You know the rest of the expression, I'm sure.

So you're saying that the SWA who used to be a dI volleyball coach shouldn't have any responsibility for hiring an inexperienced volleyball coach at UND who is clearly not doing a good job? Whatever.

Then have fun purging UND of all such situations because there are some potentially more problematic than the one you cite.

And I'll add: There you go again. How about posting some evidence of the problems caused by Ralston and her spouse before making such broad accusations? Better yet, put your real name on your accusations and opinions so we can all have a better understanding of your prespective on these issues.

I never said there was any evidence of Kojich doing anything wrong. I just think in a situation where you have a SWA with such a "connection" to Twamley, perhaps it could be construed as potentially blurring the lines of who's "really" in charge? I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. As for my identity, it's none of your business. I do not, and never have worked at UND. Neither has my wife or any member of my family. That's all you need to know.

I think it is fair to look at the potential problems. After all Ralston is and has been, I believe, in charge of internal affairs. It is no secret that many of the coaches aren't or haven't been happy and there is low moral with the staff (Lennon departure isn't going to help this). I'm not saying that she is the problem but for anyone to say that there isn't a problem has to be blind. People are and have been jumping ship at a very quick rate.

I think it is fair to look at the potential problems. After all Ralston is and has been, I believe, in charge of internal affairs. It is no secret that many of the coaches aren't or haven't been happy and there is low moral with the staff (Lennon departure isn't going to help this). I'm not saying that she is the problem but for anyone to say that there isn't a problem has to be blind. People are and have been jumping ship at a very quick rate.

Thanks for so effectively proving my point.

I agree (not that anyone cares what I think ;) ). If nothing else, he would be a strong leader, and wouldn't be afraid to make decisions. However, simply because of who he is, I think people would be more accepting and receptive of decisions which may otherwise be controversial coming from a so-called outsider.

So instead of criticizing others: what do you propose to do to fix the problem?

Here's a novel concept: Call the people at UND whose job it is to fix the presumed or perceived problem and find out if it actually exists. If they're unaware of the problem, tell them what you know about it. If they're aware of the problem, ask what they're doing to fix it. If you can be of assistance in helping the person whose job it is to fix the problem, offer your assistance. If you can't help but you know people who can, offer to contact them.

By pursuring this action rather than exchanging gossip and bitching on an Internet message board, you might discover that:

A. There really is no problem.

B. There is a problem, but it's not nearly as serious as you'd been led to believe.

C. There is a problem and those responsible for fixing it are working on a solution.

D. The person responsible for a particular area is unaware of the problem and thanks you for bringing it to his/her attention.

E. You can be part of the solution.

This is not to say that following such a course will always result in a speedy solution that's 100 percent to everyone's satisfaction, but it at least improves the chances of something constructive being accomplished in a manner that's not damaging or embarrassing to the university.

Don't assume anything. You know the rest of the expression, I'm sure.

So when you continue to say this...

I never said there was any evidence of Kojich doing anything wrong. I just think in a situation where you have a SWA with such a "connection" to Twamley, perhaps it could be construed as potentially blurring the lines of who's "really" in charge? I know I'm not the only one who thinks that.

...what, exactly, should I assume? I know this is a favorite subject/theory of yours, so why don't you elaborate? What does it have to do with Lennon leaving? What does it have to do with who should be hired as AD?

As for my identity, it's none of your business.

I never said it was. But if we knew who you were, it might help us understand the context of your comments.

I do not, and never have worked at UND. Neither has my wife or any member of my family. That's all you need to know.

That wasn't my point, but it's nice to know because it means that I know a whole hell of a lot more about the subject of spouses working at UND than you do.

So you're saying that the SWA who used to be a dI volleyball coach shouldn't have any responsibility for hiring an inexperienced volleyball coach at UND who is clearly not doing a good job? Whatever.

Should she have input on the decision? Certainly. Is it completely her decision? I wouldn't assume that. Nor would I presume to understand all the factors that went into hiring the current volleyball coach. But who knows? Maybe it was mandate from University Relations. ;)

Here's a novel concept: Call the people at UND whose job it is to fix the presumed or perceived problem and find out if it actually exists. If they're unaware of the problem, tell them what you know about it. If they're aware of the problem, ask what they're doing to fix it. If you can be of assistance in helping the person whose job it is to fix the problem, offer your assistance. If you can't help but you know people who can, offer to contact them.

I still didn't see your proposal? All you said was let others take care of it.

Heres the problem with that "solution": Those people whos job it is the fix it are a sometimes a part of the problem (Nixon). Or the system is broken or they know there is a problem but don't care and don't want to fix it.

Unlike UND92/96 who is simple pointing out things that don't add up with the current administration.

All he is doing is talking and pointing out facts.

some legitimate questions.....very poor finalist for the men's basketball job

Nothing wrong with asking questions about the competence of certain individuals in the administration.

Your comeback attacking him to his normal competent questions/discussion on a message board?

He called his bevavior "foolish."

Which is actually the exact opposite.

That doesn't seem to add much to the conversation: just attacks the person not the topic at hand.