SiouxSports.com Forum

new coach?

UND92,96

Lennon made around 100K. He left for a 200K total pakage. Right now, Bohl makes a total package of 200K and according to the Forum, they want to make the NDSU coach one of the 3 highest paid in FCS football which means he should be getting a raise closer to 300K. I don't know if your being sarcastic but Bohl is out of your price range.

Now if we were talking about Hockey it would be a different story.

Lots of errors.

The 200k for Lennon is not total package, but rather salary. The last salary figure I have for Bohl is $147k. SIU is one of the three highest paying in FCS, NDSU is still trying. Bohl will not get a raise to $300k, that number is just absurd for FCS. Total package, including the $1000/month or whatever it is he receives so he can get tailored silk shirts and not button the top few buttons so the hair sticks out (attract some cheerleaders maybe?), could bring the total up around there, but the highest salary will get at FCS right now is around the 200k mark.

I believe Lennon's total package could get into the 300k area, anyone know anything more on that?

-hopefully that doesn't include bonuses for players getting certain grades, which the team failed to do the last couple of seasons, costing Dale $10k each time.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is easy to dream. But making things a reality is much easier. "out of our price range":lol: ?? ??

ha :D Sorry, I have to laugh....It is one of the funnier things I have heard on this board. UND is the oldest and largest institute in the Dakotas. Has more national coverage than both NDSU and SDSU. Is one of the best colleges in the nation (NDSU is not), has more Division 1 titles than both NDSU, SDSU, and USD combined.

Should I go on? Out of UND's price range? I think not. :(

Since the day NDSU announced it was moving to DI, I have watched with fascination, the bitterness between UND and NDSU (it's the same kind of fascination one has when one witnesses a car accident). I couldn't believe the rhetoric coming out of Grand Forks. Of course, I recognize that it would be inappropriate to lump all UND alums and fans together.... Anyway, why don't you just leave SDSU out of your bickering with NDSU? Comments such as the ones above (prompted by the sarcastic 'why don't we hire Craig Bohl' posting) convince me that the extreme nastiness between the two North Dakota universities may be more the fault of UND fans than NDSU fans and it's certainly understandable why many NDSU fans have no interest in having anything to do with Sioux fans. How about leaving SDSU out of it so that someday you may have a school in the region who is willing to schedule you?

If NDSU is not scheduling UND based on what some idiots say on an internet message board, that says a lot about NDSU, don't you think? :(

I doubt that is the case.

But thanks for the lecture. :D

Every couple months or so a fan of one of the XDSU's does the same thing you're trying to do. If you don't want your favorite school to be insulted/ripped on/teased, kindly read the comments and go away. What can you possibly expect to see on someone else's message board?

I'm sure every comment regarding UND is glorious on SDSU message boards (if they even have one) :lol: , as well as the comments regarding UND on NDSU message boards.

Oh, and to get this back on topic, if there are (former) players on here endorsing Mussman for the job, sounds good to me.

Comments such as the ones above (prompted by the sarcastic 'why don't we hire Craig Bohl' posting) convince me that the extreme nastiness between the two North Dakota universities may be more the fault of UND fans than NDSU fans and it's certainly understandable why many NDSU fans have no interest in having anything to do with Sioux fans. How about leaving SDSU out of it so that someday you may have a school in the region who is willing to schedule you?

JackJD:

If you would have actually read this thread, you would have been informed that "The Phoenix" is just a Bison fan banned previously from this board who is just here to cause trouble. The number of Bison fans who have posted here under misleading pretenses is incredible. Sioux fans don't do that on Bison boards. So who's causing nastiness?

Since the day NDSU announced it was moving to DI, I have watched with fascination, the bitterness between UND and NDSU (it's the same kind of fascination one has when one witnesses a car accident). I couldn't believe the rhetoric coming out of Grand Forks. Of course, I recognize that it would be inappropriate to lump all UND alums and fans together.... Anyway, why don't you just leave SDSU out of your bickering with NDSU? Comments such as the ones above (prompted by the sarcastic 'why don't we hire Craig Bohl' posting) convince me that the extreme nastiness between the two North Dakota universities may be more the fault of UND fans than NDSU fans and it's certainly understandable why many NDSU fans have no interest in having anything to do with Sioux fans. How about leaving SDSU out of it so that someday you may have a school in the region who is willing to schedule you?

Thanks Dad!

Thanks Dad!

I enjoyed that one! I gotta say you guys up north do like to scrap with one another and I think moreso than SDSU and USD go at each other. In any event, I enjoy reading your board and am a very infrequent poster...I think I'll slip back to infrequent poster mode.

Okay, back to the topic.

Should I go on? Out of UND's price range? I think not. :D

well, actually, yes. for football, that's out of UND's price range, and will be for quite some time. and by the way, I believe the 200K is the base salary, not the "total package" at SIU...haven't read the contract myself of course, but I'm pretty sure that's correct...

It is easy to dream. But making things a reality is much easier. "out of our price range":lol: ?? ??

ha :D Sorry, I have to laugh....It is one of the funnier things I have heard on this board. UND is the oldest and largest institute in the Dakotas. Has more national coverage than both NDSU and SDSU. Is one of the best colleges in the nation (NDSU is not), has more Division 1 titles than both NDSU, SDSU, and USD combined.

Yep, your right UND is a great school. I didn't have to read your post to figure that one out. Of course I do believe in this crazy concept that the state of ND is big enough to have two great schools within its borders. I know it is a crazy idea but it is something I believe to be true and even take pride in. This state is lucky and it is a shame that instead of seeing that some just keep on trying to tear each other down.

JackJD:

If you would have actually read this thread, you would have been informed that "The Phoenix" is just a Bison fan banned previously from this board who is just here to cause trouble. The number of Bison fans who have posted here under misleading pretenses is incredible. Sioux fans don't do that on Bison boards. So who's causing nastiness?

While not specifically commenting on the mentioned poster (if we were certain that an account was primarily used by a previously banned member, we would close it), it's a good warning to look into the history of a relatively new poster making controversial or inflammatory statements. I can confirm that it has happened numerous times in the past that Bison fans have posed as Sioux fans to make inflammatory anti-Bison posts.

Back to the quote that raised JackJD's (in my recollection, a pretty reasonable guy) ire -- a Bison fan asserted that a current NDSU coach would be far outside UND's price range. A Sioux fan rebutted by asserting that UND is the most prominent school in the Dakotas. One could certainly rebut that opinion if one cared to (I personally wouldn't find it worth the effort), but I view that sort of debate as typical message board fodder, and certainly don't see that single opinion as "extreme nastiness" on behalf of the Sioux fanbase against SDSU or NDSU :D

Yep, your right UND is a great school. I didn't have to read your post to figure that one out. Of course I do believe in this crazy concept that the state of ND is big enough to have two great schools within its borders. I know it is a crazy idea but it is something I believe to be true and even take pride in. This state is lucky and it is a shame that instead of seeing that some just keep on trying to tear each other down.

Good post, FargoBison.

Check that. USD is the oldest university in the Dakotas receiving the first charter in what was then the Dakota Territory. As far as out of the price range, a $200k increase in salary is not that difficult for any school that has a $10 mill+ athletic budget. In fact, it's a drop in the bucket.

Check that. USD is the oldest university in the Dakotas receiving the first charter in what was then the Dakota Territory.
UND was also charted during Dakota Territory days in 1882, but opened in 1883. Agree that USD is older: USD was chartered in 1862, but opened in 1882.

as out of the price range, a $200k increase in salary is not that difficult for any school that has a $10 mill+ athletic budget. In fact, it's a drop in the bucket.

Lennon's salary increase was $100k. But considering the increased pay with assistant coaches (Bubba Schweigert and Randy Hedberg for examples) would not come cheaply for SIU (relative to UND). Figure SIU will be spending at least $200K more on salaries than UND on its full football staff, and maybe more than $300k with incentives. That whole package and the staff he could assemble with it, had to appeal to Lennon, not just the $100 k increase.

The biggest issue with UND is not the $100k increase in Lennon's pay or even the $300 increase in staff costs, but how it would upset the pay scales of all the other coaches. Men's hockey, which pays the bills (football is not cash positive), only pays its coach $210k (w/o incentives), and that pay would have to be increased just out of fairness based its fan support / bottom line finances. Other sports (W BB and M BB) would also need increases. Giving Lennon an SIU package would end up costing UND $500 - 700k when all the repercussions are figured.

SIU which recieves much of its funding from basketball money, is paying its basketball coach $750 k, did not upset it coaches salary structure with the Lennon deal.

As a comparison, Kentucky, a basketball school, pays Billy Gillespie $2.3Mill, while their football coach, Rich Brooks, receives $1.0 mill. Most SEC schools have the football/basketball salaries reversed, but they are football schools. Kentucky basketball pays the bills and puts UK on the map (except maybe this year :D ). If Rich Brooks received a $1 Mill increase, UK would either raise the BB coaches pay (whether it was Gillespie or someone else) or effectively declare that football and basketball are equivalent.

Lennon's salary increase was $100k. But considering the increased pay with assistant coaches (Bubba Schweigert and Randy Hedberg for examples) would not come cheaply for SIU (relative to UND). Figure SIU will be spending at least $200K more on salaries than UND on its full football staff, and maybe more than $300k with incentives. That whole package and the staff he could assemble with it, had to appeal to Lennon, not just the $100 k increase.

The biggest issue with UND is not the $100k increase in Lennon's pay or even the $300 increase in staff costs, but how it would upset the pay scales of all the other coaches. Men's hockey, which pays the bills (football is not cash positive), only pays its coach $210k (w/o incentives), and that pay would have to be increased just out of fairness based its fan support / bottom line finances. Other sports (W BB and M BB) would also need increases. Giving Lennon an SIU package would end up costing UND $500 - 700k when all the repercussions are figured.

SIU which recieves much of its funding from basketball money, is paying its basketball coach $750 k, did not upset it coaches salary structure with the Lennon deal.

As a comparison, Kentucky, a basketball school, pays Billy Gillespie $2.3Mill, while their football coach, Rich Brooks, receives $1.0 mill. Most SEC schools have the football/basketball salaries reversed, but they are football schools. Kentucky basketball pays the bills and puts UK on the map (except maybe this year :D ). If Rich Brooks received a $1 Mill increase, UK would either raise the BB coaches pay (whether it was Gillespie or someone else) or effectively declare that football and basketball are equivalent.

Any idea what the salaries are for Gene Roebuck and Brian Jones? I thought I read somewhere when Brian Idalski was hired for women's hockey that his salary was going to be ~$85,000. Doesn't seem like the huge discrepency that one would think between the football coach and the women's hockey coach. I would certainly hope that the basketball coaches (Roebuck at the very least) would be compensated more than the women's hockey coach. If anyone should have a heavily incentive-laden contract, it should be Idalski.

Any idea what the salaries are for Gene Roebuck and Brian Jones? I thought I read somewhere when Brian Idalski was hired for women's hockey that his salary was going to be ~$85,000. Doesn't seem like the huge discrepency that one would think between the football coach and the women's hockey coach. I would certainly hope that the basketball coaches (Roebuck at the very least) would be compensated more than the women's hockey coach. If anyone should have a heavily incentive-laden contract, it should be Idalski.

This link contains a fair amount of info on UND coaches' salaries and projections for future years.

Thanks. It seems backwards to me that Idalski makes more than the basketball coaches, specifically Roebuck who's been here forever, produced championships and exposure, and generates revenue. :D

Agreed, then check the salary for the men's golf coach. More than baseball? More than swimming? More than Track & field/cross country? More than all assistants of other sports (except hockey)?

Interesting stuff.

It looks like a few of the K-State faithful have somewhat mixed feelings on the job that Tim Tibesar is doing as DC down there.

Rumor Mill:

Lennon asked Mussman to be the OC at SIU, Mussman declined after being assured that he will be the next head coach at UND. Tibesar would need a lot of $$ to leave KSU.

Lennon has asked Bubba to go. Answer unknown.

Kelling looking into Mankato job.

How does UND salary schedule compare to other DI schools of similar size?

It looks like a few of the K-State faithful have somewhat mixed feelings on the job that Tim Tibesar is doing as DC down there.

If he was trying to implement the same defense as we have here I can see the struggles. I have talked with former sioux players and they say this defense is very complicated with the blitz schemes and coverages. It takes a while to learn and be comfortable in it. Just I have heard.

As far as I'm concerned, before UND hires Mussman or anyone else with ties to the program, they have to look at outside options. NDSU's success since the D-IAA move has been a result of hiring an outsider with recruiting contacts outside of ND and MN. While I hope UND continues to recruit in the area, it also needs to realize that to be successful, it has to have a recruiting presence outside of the region.

The two best Bison players from last year's team were both from Illinois, the kind of players I don't think the current crop of Sioux coaches can land. As much as I respected Dale Lennon, I saw this as a concern before I knew he was leaving, and feel that UND has to at least consider other options at this point.