SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Nokotas

GeauxSioux

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This nickname idea deserves it's own thread. If we are to lose the "Fighting Sioux" name, we need a new name that is unique and is truly North Dakota. This is the only one that I've heard that captures everything, from being the state equine, to having North Dakota in it's name and being a true North Dakota animal.

Imagine sitting at REA and before seeing the highlights of the last game you see a strong beautiful Nokota running on the video screen or if UND does move back outside for football a Nokota leading the team onto the field.

Thanks for the idea, PCM.

i'd like this idea if it weren't for the fact that next year we're already going to have two wcha teams with horses for their mascot, both mavericks (msu and uno)

it would seem a little strange if 1/4 of the league had horse mascots. when you consider that both st cloud and michigan tech are the huskies and duluth is the bulldogs, that would mean that half (6 of 12) teams in the wcha would either have dogs or horses as their mascot.

maybe then we could change the league name to dpshl (dog and pony show hockey league), which our officials try to turn it into sometimes.

i'd like this idea if it weren't for the fact that next year we're already going to have two wcha teams with horses for their mascot, both mavericks (msu and uno)

it would seem a little strange if 1/4 of the league had horse mascots. when you consider that both st cloud and michigan tech are the huskies and duluth is the bulldogs, that would mean that half (6 of 12) teams in the wcha would either have dogs or horses as their mascot.

maybe then we could change the league name to dpshl (dog and pony show hockey league), which our officials try to turn it into sometimes.

I thought Mankato was a cow? Or had a cow...or something....

I believe a maverick is an unbranded cow, not a horse.

I agree that Nokotas by itself doesn't come off very well, but Wild Nokotas does.

Well, wouldn't saying "Wild Nokotas" be like saying "toasted toast"? Wild is a given I'm pretty sure.

How about the "Crazy Horses" with a Nokota as a logo, and in honor of Crazy Horse?

Nokota = stupid

Who the F*** came up with this idea?...dumbass

Wow. People need to do a little research before they spout out ridiculous comments.

What we today call the Sioux were/are known among the Sioux people as Nakota, Lakota or Dakota. I would think most people that post on this site are college educated and would use that education instead of being hot headed and making comments off the cuff.

http://www.hanksville.org/daniel/lakota/Lakota.html

I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and would prefer it not be retired.

Nokota is the dumbest name brought up so far. horrible just horrible.

So I should mark you and Blackheart down as "no" on the Nokota idea then? :glare:

Bleed the Green, Nokota is a horse. Nakota is a tribe.

I'm starting to think that suggesting any idea at this volatile time is counter-productive, so I'll put any ideas to rest for a while.

Wow. People need to do a little research before they spout out ridiculous comments.

What we today call the Sioux were/are known among the Sioux people as Nakota, Lakota or Dakota. I would think most people that post on this site are college educated and would use that education instead of being hot headed and making comments off the cuff.

http://www.hanksville.org/daniel/lakota/Lakota.html

I love the Fighting Sioux nickname and would prefer it not be retired.

Research? If you have to research a name, that should automatically end the thought of it as a nickname.... Spend the rest of my life explaining to people what the hell our name means.. No thanks :glare:

EDIT: Not ripping on anyone or any culture by all means, but nicknames should be cut and dry.

Research? If you have to research a name, that should automatically end the thought of it as a nickname.... Spend the rest of my life explaining to people what the hell our name means.. No thanks ;)

EDIT: Not ripping on anyone or any culture by all means, but nicknames should be cut and dry.

Yeah, like Hoosier, Sooner and Tar Heel. :glare::D

Research? If you have to research a name, that should automatically end the thought of it as a nickname.... Spend the rest of my life explaining to people what the hell our name means.. No thanks :D

Exactly. If you have to explain a name, why bother? I still haven't figured out what the hell a "Wild" is ... :glare:

A Nokota Horse are the ones you see out in the Badlands.

Nokota horses traditionally ranged in the Little Missouri Badlands of SW North Dakota, appearing in the late 19th century. The horses are believed to be descendents of the Sitting Bull ponies as well as horses which escaped or were released from the ranching industry.

The National Park Service enclosed the Nokota's traditional range area and in doing so "captured" numerous Nokota horses. The NPS' initial intention was to eradicate these horses, although a small demonstration herd is now "officially" sanctioned.

These horses not only have historic value for all westerners, but they have significant cultural and historic value to some of our Native American peoples.

Nokota = stupid

Who the F*** came up with this idea?...dumbass

As I recall, Pat Miller suggested the name back in the day when he still posted here. He like the name because it was unique, had ND origins, and the logo could be drawn to be intimidating.

Any nickname indigenous to our area will probably need explaining to the rest of the populous, unless you want something like Storm or Blizzard.

Personally, I have no problem with "Wild Nokotas", although I am really warming up to the idea of being "The Fighting Spirit".

As I recall, Pat Miller suggested the name back in the day when he still posted here. He like the name because it was unique, had ND origins, and the logo could be drawn to be intimidating.

Any nickname indigenous to our area will probably need explaining to the rest of the populous, unless you want something like Storm or Blizzard.

Personally, I have no problem with "Wild Nokotas", although I am really warming up to the idea of being "The Fighting Spirit".

The origin.

How often do you hear the term Nodaks referring to people from North Dakota? If UND should choose a name such as Nokotas, NOrth daKOTA, is there a chance that people would start referring to people from North Dakota as Nokotas? Just adding fuel to the fire. :glare:

First of all, lets stop talking about involving the tribes in UND's logo and mascot any longer. Once the Fighting Sioux name is retired, our need to get approval from them will be retired as well.

A Nokota is not a Native American tribe and I doubt the NCAA would force us to get Nokota horse approval for us to not be deemed hostile and abusive again, unless Mr. Ed was a Nokota, then we may have a problem....

I like the Nokota name but it would need to be something like Raging Nokotas, Wild Nokotas, or Fighting Nokotas or something. PCM's point about how it would tie in with the remaining Sioux imagery, etc.. is a great point because the two logos could coexist rather nicely.

I think a logo like this one would be pretty bad ass. Add some UND colors to it and we have a Nokota logo that would rock! The flames shooting out of the nose would even work because of the Wild or Raging addition to the name. I like it!!

Calgary_Flames_horse_head_logo.png

jersey.jpg

Sort of like this idea.

I too am warming up to the Nakotas nickname, or some variation of it (i.e., Fighting Nakotas, Wild Nakotas, etc.). Question, perhaps the beautiful feathers from the the Sioux indian head logo could be incorporated into the new horse imagery? Would that be deemed as hostile and offensive or would it be considered a subtle tribute? I kinda think it would be a nice touch.

Please no Blizzard, Storm, Flickertails, Prairie Roses!!!

As stated before, let's hope the powers-that-be will learn from the mistakes made by schools who went through this (namely, Marquette) and not make the same ones they did.

I too am warming up to the Nakotas nickname, or some variation of it (i.e., Fighting Nakotas, Wild Nakotas, etc.). Question, perhaps the beautiful feathers from the the Sioux indian head logo could be incorporated into the new horse imagery? Would that be deemed as hostile and offensive or would it be considered a subtle tribute? I kinda think it would be a nice touch.

Please no Blizzard, Storm, Flickertails, Prairie Roses!!!

As stated before, let's hope the powers-that-be will learn from the mistakes made by schools who went through this (namely, Marquette) and not make the same ones they did.

Sorry, I meant Nokota....Not, Nakota.